This is fucking retarded

Literally nothing happening on-screen makes any sense. The TV ending was boring, but at least I understood the the moral (stop caring so much about others think, just do what you want to do). The movie is just acid-trip arthouse bullshit. This is THE most overrated anime movie of all time, by FAR. The only good scenes were Misato missing Shinji, and Asuka getting ass ripped apart; everything else was just stupid.

Attached: 7A8188AC-35B0-4A60-93D7-B4BEBD94DA0E.png (710x706, 615K)

Congratulations, user. You're officially not smart enough to understand an anime aimed at depressed teenagers

Attached: 1423281942432.jpg (758x591, 89K)

It's a true Burger King art flick.

you’re retarded lol

We got a cool fight scene with asuka. You're right about everything else.

Attached: 1552954040098.webm (600x338, 1.79M)

Jesus Christ you dense motherfucker.
I bet you didn't understand the end of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood either.

End of Eva follows a pretty defined narrative path. It has a lot of surreal imagery but the actual flow of events makes sense. You're just one of those people that as soon as something leaves the realm of reality you go "dude, what kind of drugs were they even on" and claim it's just random imagery.

*kissing Shinji
Damn autocorrect

Attached: DC7FC14B-7955-416E-A836-111B3629DF29.jpg (1024x758, 194K)

>How to out yourself as a shounenshitter only capable of processing fight/action scenes.

poor asuka. does she really die here and get resurrected / untanged by third impact or was she alive the whole way through?

and that's a good thing

>the whole point of EoE was to shit on people who missed the point and got all pissy that the ending was a prolonged psychotherapy session and Shinji wouldn't just get in the cool robot and fight the kaiju
>people still fail to get it and whine about not getting their mecha fanservice 20 years on even when Anno put screenshots of hatemail in the movie

The reason the rebuilds are so bad is because anno is no longer as depressed and has lost a lot of the hate he used to have. He's just tired now, he can't be bothered to shit on his fanbase the same way anymore.

Reminder that Yui is the main villain and got exactly what she wanted.

Nah you're just stupid bro

Reminder Yui is a cunt, tied with Ritsuko for the worst human being out of the whole cast.

Is this really a question?
Getting impaled 9 times tends to kill you.

Other things about Evangelion that don't make sense:

>Why Gendo has weird facial hair
>Why Asuka is in high school even though she graduated from college
>How the fuck Tohji didn't die and why he wasn't compatible with Unit 003
>Why there's still a traditional military force when NERV has a monopoly on almost every weapon known to Earth and some change
>Why Kaji gets back in Gendo's good graces after getting caught spying on NERV

This shit is more full of holes than swiss cheese.

try rewatching it on acid then.

this

No OP, it makes sense, it's just retarded

I think reddit or even Yea Forums is better place for you

>>Why Gendo has weird facial hair
Is this better user

Attached: Gendo-Ikari-happy-because-he-shaved.jpg (640x360, 79K)

Almost all questions we're answered in the show.

>Why Asuka is in high school even though she graduated from college
She was there to socialize and to be guarded by nerv agents. The class she was in was full of potential pilot, so they were all contained in a class.

>How the fuck Tohji didn't die and why he wasn't compatible with Unit 003
Unit 03 was an Angel and couldn't be piloted.

>Why there's still a traditional military force when NERV has a monopoly on almost every weapon known to Earth and some change
No one trusted Nerv as their approach was too experimental. As schown several times in the show, the Military was proud and hated Nerv for eating Up their budget.

>Why Kaji gets back in Gendo's good graces after getting caught spying on NERV
Gendo needed Kaji.

NERV was not just experimental, it was secretive and illegal. Ritsuko sabotaged her main competitor for no reason, since that entirely artificial eva was never going to be able to accomplish shit and she knew that. She put a city at risk to pre-emptively protect their budget. It would literally be the end of humanity if governments knew about how the core of an eva worked and how it synced with the pilot, the bureaucracy and outrage would kill NERV instantly.

>Ritsuko sabotaged her main competitor for no reason, since that entirely artificial eva was never going to be able to accomplish shit and she knew that. She put a city at risk to pre-emptively protect their budget.

She sabotaged it FOR that reason. The funders were pouring money into the Jet Alone project which is literally useless as they would never be able to produce an AT field since it's just something organic life HAS as opposed to a technology. Instead of wasting funding going towards a legitimately useless project, it's better off to sabotage it preemptively and have all that funding instead go to NERV so that they could afford maintenance on the Eva's as those are truly the only thing that can protect against the angels.

By sending an indestructible nuke running at like 60mph straight toward a populated city, with a high ranking NERV employee that is supposed to be her best friend inside of it because every secret was kept from her.

This desu

EoE actually finishes the plot instead of going into Shinji's mind out of nowhere.

>who is rei
>what are evangelions
>will the spear of longinius come back?
>Does the third impact happen? If so how?

None of this questions are answered, it's just jarring because it comes out of nowhere.

Ah shit the one thing I forgot was that it was preprogrammed to deactivate at the last second. Still it was stupidly dangerous and risky, and treating Misato like disposable garbage.

Ritsuko was telling, almost begging if I recall correctly, Misato not to do it though. She didn't to tell Misato her plans for whatever reason though.

>treating Misato like disposable garbage

Totally in-character for Ritsuko if it means satisfying Gendo’s plans. Misato was never in any real danger unless she accidentally fell off the JetAlone roof.

This.
Ritsuko did everything short of telling Misato that she set it up

>for whatever reason
considering she reports directly to gendo about it, it was something only the innermost circle of nerv was privy to. you don't just bandy around those kind of secrets, especially since misato wouldn't actually be exposed to a reactor meltdown.

>THE most overrated anime movie of all time, by FAR

Interesting and original take OP, what are some of your favorites?

ironic you say that because this is the most reddit / Yea Forums tier anime. They always talk about it. Lurk more newfag

You're right, but evafags exist and will cry.

Why was Mari ever made in the rebuild series? The most useless addition to a series I ever seen, the only lasting impact is her smugface.png.

it's also important to note that jet alone being deployed against an angel would just result in an ACTUAL nuclear disaster in tokyo 3 instead of the controlled scare they engineered

I know it's in-character for Ritsuko because Ritsuko is shit. She doesn't deserve friends or happiness or the painless death she received from the man who fucked her and her mother.

Are you serious? Merch. The same reason for the same designs after a pointless timeskip. A trio of never aging young girls sells lots of plastic shit.

Is this why people on Yea Forums have such a hard time understanding a series that explains itself in great detail? They're just speedwatching through everything and then cobbling together an interpretation based on misremembered fragments?

I say yes... so you'll watch 4.44

Attached: 1561553075477.png (492x720, 223K)

Attached: afeitate evangelion.jpg (800x762, 109K)

He looks so much more chill with that creepy chinstrap gone!

Evangelion is not deep, as a guy who watched all of eva (expect 3.0) I have notice this story trying it's best to be "WHOA BRO, THAT'S DEEP" and all I've noticed is
>Gnosticism
>Kabbalah
>Weird Christian Imagery
>Rip-offs from famous mecha shows
>filler episode (I wonder why they ran out of budget)
The more I look into evangelion the more I notice that the story is self-explanatory, sorry evageeks but you cannot convince me that eva is this deep anime that only someone with an IQ of 200 can understand, especially when Anno went to a mental hospital after making this.

Attached: symbolism.jpg (708x480, 100K)

he looks a lot more like shinji without it

Smiling shaved Gendo is cursed as shit

Attached: 28967-shik.jpg (620x350, 325K)

The series has themes. Whether they're deep or not is open to debate.

Evangelion is The Matrix of anime. Everyone thought it was deep when they first saw it and now it's just recognized as a popular gimmick with a few okay ideas.

He looked creepy as fuck in college when he was younger and beardless.

Everyone always talks about Eva everywhere. It’s one of the most popular anime for anyone old enough to have unrestricted internet access, and because it’s incredibly dense there’s going to be something about it to discuss. This is a 24 year old franchise that is probably rivaled only by Dragonball in terms of having such enthusiasm combined with longevity. And Dragonball has magnitudes more exposure, runtime, and derivative material.

dude the christian imagery is literally there because it looks cool, the actual reason it's deep is because of the social psychological themes it explores, specifically the barriers people put up between each other, the state of society in Japan, regression to childlike states, and a whole bunch of other shit that people like to ignore because MUH MECHS LMAO

Just because an autistic retard like you can only clap like a seal and throw words you don't know on to the screen does not mean you are right. The series is complex and has a multitude of layered themes but of course it is easier to say "durr hurr its not deep gais its shit and popular". Fucking backflip off a nearby bridge.

What are your top 3 anime

Dude, that's the thing...

It's NOT deep. The plot, anyway. dual-aliens implanting planets blah blah blah. The spectacle in EoE is awesome just from a visual perspective, but we can't deny that Eva actually tried to explore human connection and emotion. That's not "deep," I guess, but it makes the show interesting and sets it apart from the normal shit.

normalfags are just confused because the plot of the show isn't spelled out for them, but you really don't need to know what the hell adam and lilith are, or seele, or the lance of longinus, or the whole mechanics of intergalactic alien life-creators, to get the underyling message of loneliness.

We get it user, you're so much of a faggot that a neopanamax cargo ship can sail through your rectum.

So OP is right then. All the non character stuff is written like garbage. Then the author should have just made a slice of life if he didn't know what he was doing in the apocalyptic mecha genre.

This. It's ok if it's beloved and liked series but don't try to go out of your way to make a piece of medium to be interpret how you want and not how the author wanted to
>Social Psychological themes
So Anno is a professor now?
I totally get the "don't be alone" theme, I've already watched Gridman ssss to have this theme well burned into my mind, like I said, very self explanatory, since shinji always says "I like being alone"
idk, never had one
But that's the thing, it is spelled out. What was episode 25 & 26 was all about? While eva tried to explore human connection, the show falls on it's face on later episode when it becomes a slice of life anime
Anyone else having problems with reCAPTCHA? thing just keeps giving me "please try again" even when i'm right

>be mechafag
>watch anime created with the explicit intent of deconstructing mecha tropes
>be surprised pikachu face when it shits on mecha tropes

I felt pretty good after watching the series ending yesterday and the movie today, my mind felt clean. But I gave in to the pressure again and ended back here.

The setting suits the show just fine. It serves as a background for tension and conflict with the characters, the angels are a source of forced reflection and introspection on the nature of man, the ideas of the AT field and souls go well with the character themes. From a mecha standpoint it's decent too - Anno was a great director. The eva animation for a tv anime is rock solid ignoring the meme moments like the elevator scene and 02 holding kaworu, choreography and interaction with the city environments are satisfying.

The only gimmick of the show is the layer of religious imagery on everything. Everything else is top notch. The plot is not overcomplicated or poorly written, it's just way more complex than the typical anime standard that always sets a low bar. You have to watch it more than once to get everything, and not everything is ever 100% explained, big fucking deal.

>dude why don't you understand that Eva's a deconstruction of the mecha genre
>I've only seen Eva and TTGL. Why?

>This. It's ok if it's beloved and liked series but don't try to go out of your way to make a piece of medium to be interpret how you want and not how the author wanted to
How do you think the author wanted Eva to be interpreted?
>So Anno is a professor now?
>I totally get the "don't be alone" theme, I've already watched Gridman ssss to have this theme well burned into my mind, like I said, very self explanatory, since shinji always says "I like being alone"
If a doctorate is required to make any kind of artistic statement on the human condition, we should scrap almost all classic works of literature or filmmaking or music.
SSSS Gridman owes its existence to Eva and rightfully pays homage several times.
>idk, never had one
That’s an awfully bitchmade answer. Put up a superior alternative to something if you’re going to shit on it, or shut the fuck up
>But that's the thing, it is spelled out. What was episode 25 & 26 was all about? While eva tried to explore human connection, the show falls on it's face on later episode when it becomes a slice of life anime
The alternate reality sequence in episode 26 is integral to the theme of the last two episodes, and the drastic tonal shift back into a typical anime format after the entire series ramping up into a deconstruction of exactly that is downright inspiring. Not to mention it’s a brilliant “it was all a dream!” trick an audience who may have been suspecting a twist like that.

Attached: 2BBE8DF0-6379-42A2-9090-09364AF2FCCF.jpg (507x503, 34K)

It’s not a deconstruction of Mecha so much as it is one of a synthesis of otaku and anime as a whole, the isolation, fetishization, delusions, and frustrations that go along with the people in that culture.

Sure is farthuffing central in here

>be dumb as fuck
>can't make a coherent thought, let alone an argument
>get shit on for it
>bail out with this pathetic excuse of an insult
You would have had more dignity if you just stopped posting, but here we are.

Attached: 1356064907109.png (392x656, 213K)

>The setting suits the show just fine.
Agreed. Just like nearly every other show out there and mecha in particular there is more going on than just the explosions. Too bad Eva botches its plot.
>The plot is not overcomplicated or poorly written
It is in the end. It literally gets abandoned until EoE which goes off the rails.
> not everything is ever 100% explained, big fucking deal
Yes most things don't get explained and it's ultimately incomplete. That is a big deal. But at least there is loneliness so lets not talk about the shortcomings.

It's unfortunate you seem to think I am samefagging as well as failing to grasp the nuance of the points being made. The smelling of one's own putrescent matter deals deeply with having a healthy relation with the self, ie their so-called "dark" side. It's important for us to own up to that side of our personality that wants to harm others, personified in this case by the putrid scent of flatulence. It gently and neatly segueways into following a seeming point of no return into normality when the ambient odor once again returns to a neutral form.
>bail out with this pathetic excuse of an insult
It must be pretty humbling that not only did I just not leave the thread but I provided a handy rebuttal to your baseless claims. Perhaps now you can understand how the act described deeply related to Eva's message of embracing one's self at all times, regardless of the front you put up to disguise it among others, overlaid in this post with the act of "fart huffing" - quite not unlike how in episode 25 Misato wants to be degraded publically yet resents the feeling all the same when it does come to fruition.

Attached: 1539717106143.jpg (525x809, 131K)

>doesn't know how to quote

>>That’s an awfully bitchmade answer. Put up a superior alternative to something if you’re going to shit on it, or shut the fuck up
>Superior alternative
You sound angry user, want a snickers? I said I didn't have a top 3 anime because there is no reason to have a top 3 anime since it reveals nothing about a person. watching anime is not speed-dating, if you think me telling you my top 3 favorite anime is gonna reveal anything about me or my taste then you need to rephrase what you are trying to say otherwise your attempt at bating me and then ridiculing me for having "trash taste" is not gonna work

>>If a doctorate is required to make any kind of artistic statement on the human condition, we should scrap almost all classic works of literature or filmmaking or music.
SSSS Gridman owes its existence to Eva and rightfully pays homage several times.

A doctorate degree is not needed but a personal experience is, which is what Anno lacks

Attached: 2f0.png.jpg (560x577, 49K)

it tried to be DEEP but failed

fpbp

>if you think me telling you my top 3 favorite anime is gonna reveal anything about me or my taste then you need to rephrase what you are trying to say

>the things I like don’t define my taste or what I seek from media!

If you were to say you like battle shonen because they’re well-animated and exciting, that’s fine. If you aren’t looking for any kind of introspection or examination in the media you consume, that’s fine. If you’re deep into obscure arthouse OVAs and think Eva is a tired retread aping thematic elements from other works, that’s fine. Just be honest about it and don’t write something off because it’s not in a form you’re interested in engaging. If you are going to tell people something is bad, they’re going to demand to know what you think is good.

>personal experience is, which is what Anno lacks
Personal experience of what? Anno is a human being raised in the nascent otakudom of 20th century postwar Japan, that qualifies him to say everything he said in Eva

why the fuck are you all so mad it's just a cartoon lmao

Wonder if Evangelion will be as discussed 30, 50 or 100 years after creation. 20 years surely were not enough to curb its popularity.

I think I'm actually retarded. I've had like 20 different anons over the years try to explain the ending to me and I still don't get it. Even tried reading an explanation about it, like it's hard to understood.

So basically the angel was gonna have sex with the planet's spirit and everyone on earth was gonna merge into one super conscious that was like suppose to be God or heaven? But Shinji decided that was bad? So who was the angel? An alien?

>If you are going to tell people something is bad, they’re going to demand to know what you think is good.

See but the thing is I never said eva was bad, I just said that there was no deep mysteries behind it, everything is self-explanatory. And to answer your question about what I think is good if it's bad it can basically be summed up like this, If the story is the same as another story, how does it add to the themes that has already been established by the previous genre that exist like it. but that line of thought doesn't work for me since I believe that no matter how similar a story is it can never be the same thus it is hard to say "if a story is bad, show us one that is good" since all art are incorrectly disconnected.

and this is my last post since reCAPTCHA is not working for me

Attached: 1561098455688.jpg (628x614, 29K)

As long as retards like OP are still kicking around in the future, sure.

>too stupid to understand the ending
Netflix babies should be banned.

You're not retarded, Eva leaves really important plot points explained in a single off-hand sentence or not explained at all, which some people think is good/deep writing. The 'instrumentality' project was Gendo's attempt to reunite with his wife by pretty much uniting everyone's souls into a single borderless state of existence. This all happens with Shinji's eva being the key to it but Shinji suddenly decides to man up and be his own person so instrumentality seems to fail. Most of the backstory to the angels was made canon by a video game of all things, ultimately humans are weak but have science and angels are strong but have no science, and the two were fighting over the earth. EoE trying to focus on the lackluster plot instead of cool robot fights and character study was a mistake.

Dies, but the tang happens in such quick succession she’s able to come back like Shinji

And it's never even fully explained what happens to Gendo during instrumentality. Fucking ANNO

lets follow the logic user
1: you think end of eva is meaningless and that the things on screen make no sense
2: countless others have found clearly intentional meaning and symbolism in the very same movie
3: ergo, the movie does have meaning, but you didn't pick up on it
4: ergo, you're retarded

>I'm 17yo and Eva is too complicated for me.

>arthouse
Do American plebs still say this?

here you go op, allow this to remedy your plight.

Attached: FeW73.png (657x3213, 326K)

no
most dont know what it means