Why are most anime so shallow?

I still enjoy it a little but as an adult, I've noticed that most anime lack emotional depth, deep dialogues... things that a young adult male can relate to, especially one who's into literature and is used to more profound stories. We can see it in movies such as Taxi Driver or Stalker, but we rarely see it being explored in anime.

You may say it's for children, but not all of them are and it shouldn't be.
Sure, a lot of movies suck, especially the ones who are being produced nowadays, with all the political correctness and stuff, but you can still find great movies that you can't even count. Meanwhile, the good anime are so few that we can easily name them all, such as Evangelion, Lain, Ping Pong The Animation, Haibane Renmei, Perfect Blue and a few others (Yes, the ones mentioned are indeed great, you stupid contrarian).

Attached: file.png (320x320, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gH3Sh3hRV-c&t=92s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1452545594013.jpg (930x720, 76K)

Anime moe are, for the most, stupid, but in a positive way. Have said that, I really enjoyed Chuunibyou and I think that K-on is a fun anime, because they're good at what they do. K-on is among the best ones of its genre. However, I've noticed that when the Japs try to make something different, profound, they fail miserably or cater for stupid teens who know nothing about life, such as the Naruto's attempts at being deep, for example. Sure Evangelion also does something like that with Shinji, but the difference is that in Evangelion, they explore the teenager's psych a lot more than your average shounen.

Attached: 1443436405-770c18a5aa63334b01a9df4808aaba93.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

D-Don't lash onto me guys I have seen 7 good anime that MAL recommended.

Maybe you should work on graduating high school English before you complain about being too smart for anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=gH3Sh3hRV-c&t=92s

Not an argument you manbaby

>Ad hominem

Discarded

I'm German and the great works of literature I read in my own native English.
Can you please tell me the mistakes I've made? I'm still studying English and trying to improve it.

dumb teen

>native language

Fix'd.

The main dude in Taxi Driver is 26 and a veteran. Also read manga dipshit. If you dont like reading Manga cause you like the pretty colors of anime and that is your only excuse, go fuck yourself. Ever heard of Berserk or Vagabond?

Retarded boomer

You didn't make any glaring mistakes, it's just that your flow is very weird and stilted, like a middle-school bellringer with less explicit grammar mistakes.

Thanks.

Because anime is for children and young adults who cannot grasp such concepts nor have the attention span to even attempt to. The medium also just isn't that good for such things. There are anime that do, but they're usually quite rare.

I'm glad you take my advice.

The answer is simple. Anime is usually made for profit. The most profitable approach is to target the centre of the bell curve, because that's where the most people are. The average person doesn't care about anything you listed, loses attention when the plot is complex and will usually pick cheap tear jerkers or action movies over anything thoughtful.
It's the same thing with movies, video games, music, pretty much any popular media. Anime is no different in this regard.

>There are anime that do, but they're usually quite rare.
can you name a few

Your word order is stilted. See "The great works of literature I read in my own native English" in OSV (x I read) order rather than SVO order (I read x).

Even shonen like Naruto have complex yet subtle themes that you may not grasp in your 10th viewing. You are underestimating writing in anime too much.

You're right. It's also important to point out that producing an anime is expensive, so not all great manga with some intellectual value will gain an anime adaptation. It requires a lot of work to produce an anime as well produced as One Punch Man's season 1, for example. Same for movies, but making a good independent movie requires less work than producing an independent anime. And not even when they have the means to do it, they can do it successfully if the crew in incompetent, so we end up with fiascos such as the 2016 Berserk animation.

Attached: X9xWeui.png (1280x720, 716K)

You don't always need those things. Anime is primarily for entertainment and escapism, not le deep art.

Legend of the galactic heroes, early Berserk, evangelion with original tv ending and before the memes, serial experiments lain, original ghost in the shell, flcl is pretty abstract, maybe tatami galaxy, and most things by ghibli.

They are shallow because a single writter, who is usually a NEET with no experience got lucky and pitched something someone decided to publish. Then that single writer has to make something up quickly to put out weekly or monthly.
Mha is the perfect example of a cool premise getting ruined by a mangaka just making shit up as he goes. The new things introduced ruin the old things and there is nothing anyone can do to salvage it. If the mangaka makes a mistake because they just were in a bad headspace that week, that mistake is canon and he has to deal with it for years.
You can't go back and remove Stain, you can't remove all for one, you can't undo the stupid shit about Deku having to become nr 1 because society can't function without All Might. All the stupid shit gets left in.

I don't understand why everyone always compares everything to literature. The different mediums have different pros and cons, like video games being made around gameplay and less about plot.

If you want a deep and abstract story, pick up a damn book. My hero academy will never be comparable to Shakespeare; even 3d tv shows have this same problem.

>but as an adult
There's your answer even if it's not true.

>Lain
Stopped reading there. Fucking laughable to see a post complain about shallowness yet mention Lain as a counter-example to that.

That's also true. To end that line of thought on a positive note, I guess it's still worth to explore japanese animation in search of "hidden gems". I still sometimes come across a show that moves me in a way no other media ever did (Haibane Renmei is definitely up there). It's just that we can't expect to see shows like this very frequently.

Watch more anime, retarded newfag.

Attached: 62630.jpg (349x500, 95K)

>I'm so devoid of knowledge and can't understand a more complex piece of art, therefore no one can

He is right though and he's simply talking about most anime. You can't seriously think most shows that are being produced today are thoughtful.

Lain is shallow as fuck. Devoid of any emotional merit. A pathetic ending, wasted concept and on top of it all has the audacity to go against its message. I'll give it credit for one thing though. It must have done something goddamn right to get away with so much bullshit and find its way in the hearts of what I'd consider easily influenceable people.

Yes,90% of any medium are shit. And the shit series doesn't get that popular. So mostly we talk about mediocre to good ones.

Watch more anime, retarded newfag.

Your conclusion isn't different for any other mediums.

Attached: 143890893405327.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

>especially one who's into literature and is used to more profound stories
50 Shades is the biggest selling series from this decade while Harry Potter and Dan Brown dominated the decade before.
Being into books doesn't automatically mean you're into more profound stuff. Someone could read every day and never touch a single profound work.

Unironically read Yea Forums posts more thoughtful than most books I've read desu

>Your conclusion isn't different for any other mediums.
And? I'm not saying it is different. Also, it's about as profound as saying "the sky is blue". That doesn't make it wrong though. Disagreeing with something as obvious as this definitely makes you look much more retarded than OP.

why are you pretending to not be OP, you samefagging faggot?
>I'm not saying it is different

>Sure, a lot of movies suck, especially the ones who are being produced nowadays, with all the political correctness and stuff, but you can still find great movies that you can't even count.

>Meanwhile, the good anime are so few that we can easily name them all
Just off yourself if you don't have anything new to say that hasn't already been said by everyone.

most anime doesnt interact with that themes? if you want something deep and psychological then dont watch BnHA. if you want interesting fights and maybe some moral shit yeah than its fitting for the role but what you ask for is a whole different scene. its as if you ask why in slice of life there is no war scenes in it. becasue it doesnt belong there as easy as it sounds

It's obvious that I'm not OP to anyone with more than two brain cells. I don't even speak in the same way as them. This topic has been discussed numerous times already and nothing new has been brought to the table. I'm just picking on you, because you chose to disagree with an obviously truthful statement just to be a contrarian.

I think you are just trying to put on an act. People criticize you for watching anime as an adult because animation can't seriously be for adults in America, so you go for the "deep" anime to try to meet social expectations and perhaps prove to people that anime is for adults after all, because look how deep this show is. But those same people don't care about how deep the live action they're watching is.

Yeah, I'll watch Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong. I'll also watch Eromanga-sensei and Attack on Titan and Yuuri on Ice and whatever. This isn't any different from how people watch live action, but they impose different standards on anime because of American culture.

Anime fans are always on the defensive and ceding ground and just end up becoming cucks who get manipulated by normalfags.

Listen here real quick you fucking idiot.
You're not impressing anyone by coming here and saying "guys did you know 90% of something is shit? hurr durr" and while you could have stopped at that, you chose to be a double faggot about it by saying the "BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT WAY AND HERE'S WHY BECAUSE" proceeding to post your cherry-picked list and be a triple faggot about it by giving it an objective vibe and calling anyone disagreeing a contrarian. Just from that you honestly shouldn't warrant any truthful discussion from just how much of a faggot you are, but since I'm bored and desperately need to do something to stay up I'll give you something different.

The merit that comes from anime is the idea that a collective group is able to translate into a different medium one man's story. That they try to be as close as possible or take an entire different approach yet somehow tell the same story. Anime production is a fucking mess. It's disorganized to the max and quite truthfully inhuman. It's nowhere comparable to the making of a movie. Its success relies entirely on communication, and luck. So when such an unlikely "art" of fulfillment actually comes together, channeling not just simply through a bunch of delicately-placed letters but the different drawing frames, sound design, voice acting, and writing in a medium where the goddamned mouth animations are done before even any dialogue is planned, it's a feat you have to recognize. But do not misunderstand this as pity. It's in that effort that lies the very aspect that make anime potentially greater than the others. As pulling from so many different resources complement them, make them better than they would be alone, and thus result in something that's good not because of the journey behind but how that journey found its way to a good destination as well.

Watch more anime and shitpost less on Yea Forums, faggot.

user,I'm the one who said 90% of any medium is shit. And you are replying it to someone else.

Suck the same kind of cock all the same, doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Well it's true.

I've never said that anime as an art form without any deep shit can't be enjoyable. I don't think that Mob Psycho 100 has any intellectual value, but yet is a well-produced anime. The animation is beautiful and I'd go as far as to say that it's a masterpiece, but to impress deeply someone who's read Novalis and Dostoyevsky, they'll need more than just a good soundtrack and good animation, dumbass.

Attached: 6.gif (540x544, 594K)

You talk about things you like in a very boring way.

Most anime is either made for otaku, children or the general public. With the main purpose of entertainment.

Attached: 1557799374833.jpg (1920x1080, 304K)

I talk about things I like in a way that the average Joe can comprehend. Do you want me to start mumbling about metaphysics or suspension of disbelief?

Attached: kaguya.jpg (2048x1108, 190K)

There's plenty more manga and animes tackling deeper concepts than those you mentioned. Look around a bit and you might be surprised.
That, and you can't only judge anime based on writing alone, there's much more that goes into it. Space Dandy isn't particularly deep regarding its writing but it's strengths offer a particular experience no other media can.

The actual guy who you are replying to. I think you are confused, because I didn't say anything such as this and I didn't produce any list. It might come off as a surprise, but there are more than two people in this thread.
I more or less agree with your second paragraph, I do not hate anime as a collective and I recognize its potential. It doesn't mean most of it isn't commercial, souless crap. The only reason we are arguing is because I took issue with this post for numerous reasons and I'm not really sure what do you want to discuss with me at this point.

You haven't watched enough anime

Attached: 1541206278813.png (1800x2700, 1.82M)

If I had to choose between those three, I'd rather not choose at all.

Btw, if you guys are tired of BokuNoHeros, and are looking for something with some intrinsic value to watch, I highly recommend Kaguya-hime no Monogatari. It touches on topics such as morality and self, and the animation is breath-taking.

Attached: Princess Kaguya and the Moon People.jpg (1920x1080, 134K)

Thanks dude you seem smart

It’s almost as if most anime fans are teenagers so the stuff that gets popular and described as “deep” is stuff that they can understand and find relatable. In other words, watch more anime.

Anime is cartoons made for television in a country you don't live in. The anime that you have personally listed as being good are only your sense of taste.

Why do you expect cartoons to be deep in the first place? Just because it's produced in a different country doesn't mean it's more mature.

Learn to appreciate screenplay and direction to the deepest level you possibly can. Then come back and watch anything, but preferably stuff that has a better focus on pushing the boundaries and fundamentals of the medium, like any of what you mentioned.

Anime is good because it manages to be near unmatched in terms of screenplay and direction, and has the most open celebration of creative freedom of just about any country that celebrates animations and cartoons. The fact it's able to use those powers to good use for literally everything, rather than just "masterpieces", is what makes it special.

If you don't realize this, you're technically watching anything "wrong", anime or not.

Anyone who has been watching anime for more than a decade will tell you that it's a shitty medium. Japan craps out hundreds of different anime per year, but only about 5% of which are actually worth watching.

>watches children's anime
>complains that they're shallow

Guaranteed if I listed off 10 anime that aren't braindead garbage it will be revealed you didn't know they exist or thought they were too boring. It's not like they're really common, but they exist.

You kids need to understand that it's fine to have opinions but they don't contain enough value to be shared.

Speak for yourself

Every medium is the same, retard.

cope

5% a year? How many good anime does it mean are worth watching?

>cope
Cope with what.

What are you doing here if you hate anime so much?

Shallow anime are for kids. Watch anime for adult people

>Evangelion
>great
Kill yourself

Don't watch shounen maybe...it is literally for teens.

Attached: 1555242860422.jpg (192x278, 41K)

Attached: 1557471953367.jpg (921x640, 100K)

name a single American animation show besides Samurai Jack that isn't shallow

also stop watching shonen

Not him but Bojack Horseman and Over the Garden Wall

First of all, there is really a lot of anime and you haven't watched it all. There are plenty of shows with emotional depth, more adult themes and dialogues. Minimum one or two come out each season.
Second, the appeal of anime for adults is often escapism, the ability to escape from a cruel and complex world into a simpler, more soothing one. If you are torn up by being lonely and not living up to expectations, you don't want to watch shows where the characters face the same problems.

Because ultimately, anime is escapism. The average teen or working adult coming home from school/work to watch anime aren't seeking any deeper works. Something that serves as a mindless distraction from daily life is usually just that, mindless.
That being said, it's not as if only select few anime are deep. If you care enough to read into a series, you should find that every few aren't completely shallow. That's not to say they're super deep either.

I told you MHA bring more people here.

What exactly can you relate to in Stalker?

Attached: Monarch.jpg (300x225, 24K)

When someone says they like ‘literature’ they usually mean ‘literary literature’, not genre fiction or pulp, otherwise they’d just say whatever genre it is they’re reading.

>cartoons are not deep
I wonder why...

Nips don't have a soul which is why their drama sucks

True

Anime generally pales in comparison to even the most normalfag friendly movies in terms of direction. Let alone movies that are actual pieces of art. Especially nowadays when animators can barely draw things normally, let alone when trying to get creative with the direction.

>monolingual Amerifat thinks he's in a position to badmouth anyone for their linguistic abilities

Buddy Berserk is gorgeous and absolutely worth a read but it too is heavily prone to the absolute gayest of anime bullshit.

Why does Yea Forums hate anime so much?

Your post tell us that you're unable to appreciatiate animation as an art form. You compare anime to live action, being ignorant of design, colorwork and the trouble people have to go through to make things move. If I had to guess, I'd say that you spend most of your time on Letterboxd, and submit witty review of three lines in length. Most anime are shit, no doubt, but if you don't really give a shit about what makes animation animation (the works you list tell us that you don't, none of them are very well animated) then you should stick to live action instead of forcing yourself to consume something you clearly lack a genuine interest in.

Also: your remark regarding emotional depth comes off as quite awkward, given the works you chose to list. Most of them are so "on the nose", I am surprised you didn't list 3gatsu.

Of course you haven't read the whole thread. See:

I think you're one of those people that think someone can't like anime unless they like everything about it and think it's perfect.

No some people on this thread literally hate anime. I mean they just called anime ''a shitty medium'' I am an esl so I might be wrong but this is called hating, right? Am I using the word correctly here?

>Evangelion
>Lain
>somehow supposed to be deep
Is this a copypasta or something?

Justice will always prevail

Attached: 1560066299996.jpg (600x456, 45K)

Why would I read the whole thread, given how it was made by someone who thinks for Evangelion or Perfect Blue to have emotional depth? I think the real problem is your inability to spot genuine depth, since most of it can't be found in a MAL Top 100 list. But since you're unlikely to ever formulate a genuine thought of your own and prefer to agree with what you're being told, you'll never escape the state you've found yourself in.

The more I think about it, the more clear your shallow drone personality becomes. How does Ping Pong even match any of your personal criteria? It's neither profound, nor does it sport deep dialogues or emotional depth. It's an incredibly simplistic story.

Dumb contrarians. Hate it personally or not it was an exceptionally unique representation in anime that connected deeply with people since it came out decades ago. Same with Lain to an extent but too abstractly.

>watching anime/reading manga with ugly art and unappealing looking characters
it is thanks to people like you that cancerous shit like one piss is still a thing