Detective Conan

So let's see if Yea Forums really watches this great anime series like they should be.

What episode are you at on your Conan watch, and what's the last thing that happened in the show?

Attached: [Erai-raws] Detective Conan - 943 [720p].mkv_snapshot_00.47_[2019.06.20_21.33.21].png (522x646, 403K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TCtQFbGqwR0
youtube.com/watch?v=xtUoApCQoFo
files.catbox.moe/1oe9fy.mp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>this thread is still alive

>anime
Dumbass. I read the manga.

>you're still alive

Attached: 1529100548833.png (851x672, 526K)

How would you commit your murder this time, Hanzawa-san?
[ ]Locked room
[ ]Fishing line

>anime only-ing Conan

[ ]Dying message

Isn't this the anime that had a shitty crossover?

Attached: lupin 1560512938144 cropped.png (209x199, 22K)

It's the 21st in Japan, so happy birthday Gosho

Attached: 5adff247ebd14.jpg (640x427, 32K)

God, Lupin's smug ass grin brings joy to my soul.

Both is the true answer

I'm 700 something episodes in, I'd be further but I only binge it when I'm not visiting relatives because I have a huge TV I can watch it on. I do know what happens after that though, the most recent canon case was the Maria one, then after that some filler about grandmas. I guess it beats 2 weeks of horse filler.
>inb4 we're in for 5 more months of non-canon cases

It's good but I prefer smug Conans.

Attached: smug.png (1280x720, 646K)

Out of all the cute and cool Conans you could have chosen from, you had to go with that creepy-looking nuConan for the OP?

Attached: Detective Conan - 046 Remastered - The Snowy Mountain Lodge Murder Case [Baaro][418676A0]_00_11_51_0 (960x720, 86K)

Things sure have changed.

Attached: 176-178.jpg (960x720, 140K)

>there was a time on Yea Forums before nuConan

2003 was still a decent era compared to today even though the anime was no longer cel animated.

Attached: 1544409995431.webm (640x480, 793K)

Basho Made is great

What's with that one tree in the OPs and EDs that shows up randomly? Where everyone's under it all the time.

Manga or anime?

How about smug Rans?

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-04-22h34m47s654.png (497x531, 314K)

Manga.

Attached: 1541909073344.jpg (2000x2000, 329K)

Holy shit the noses aren't horrible. What happened lads??

Manga for to the point plot and canon cases, people who want to catch up and don't care about audio and additional visual aspects.

The anime is worth it, I think even in the new modern anime style the anime is still good. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do the manga though.

Also good.

Attached: bara.png (960x720, 816K)

snouts

Attached: ran reaction.jpg (203x182, 15K)

I wish I could have discussed Conan with Yea Forums during the earliest time available. The beginning of the digital age was a bit rough but I wonder how Yea Forums thought about it? Was it more discussed back then? I wonder if they had threads in 2004 about the american airing? I will never know.

Attached: ayumi.jpg (832x624, 204K)

>tfw no haibara gf

I was on Conan forums at the time but they sucked like most forums do. I wish I had known about Yea Forums back then.

I seem to remember Something Awful having threads about whatever was showing on Toonami and Adult Swim at the time, so Yea Forums probably would have had at least some threads about Conan since the initial userbase came from there.

Attached: 1554650035518.jpg (960x720, 99K)

Interesting, I never used SA so I never knew they had threads like that. Hopefully the series had a fair amount into it in both places. I've wondered what the online fandom was like for it before 2007. Not because I know what it was like that year and near it, but because it was when things got more normal with fan groups and you can easily guess what it was like, though with Yea Forums it might be a bit different since it's not the same kind of site.

I wonder if Conan had any of those alt tv message board/groups, that usenet era.

Attached: ED1.jpg (630x480, 95K)

In the early 00s most of the people who discussed Conan online in English were bilingual in one of the other languages it was officially available. That meant mostly overseas Chinese, Southeast Asians, and a few Spanish speakers. So there were a few forums here and there with an international focus that existed back then. I think the digital fansub and scanlation teams of the mid-00s onward originated from those places.

I don't think Conan or other series had their own Usenet groups, all anime discussion got grouped into rec.arts.anime.*.

Attached: 1557073513216.jpg (832x624, 57K)

Ran's dub voice is much better than her jap voice.

>I don't think Conan or other series had their own Usenet groups, all anime discussion got grouped into rec.arts.anime.*.
Well, I have to correct myself here: it's been so long that I'd forgotten, but a few ultra-popular series did get their own newsgroups, like Sailor Moon, Dragonball, and Gundam. Conan was unknown in the English-speaking world during the heyday of Usenet so wouldn't have gotten its own group.

Attached: 1529748138582.jpg (960x720, 103K)

Thanks, it makes sense that Conan wouldn't be known back then enough for that, and that those would. I still wish I could have been there for whatever went around during the 00's. I didn't have internet until like '05 and I wasn't using it for stuff like that until 2010 or so, right when everything probably went to shit the hardest and when Yea Forums had enough of Conan's length and "lack of plot progression."

Attached: DC54.jpg (630x480, 87K)

I like both, Ran's is more higher pitched/cuter sounding than Rachel's. Also if the series had kept all the names I wouldn't have liked hearing english VAs call her Ron. It's fine and natural sounding in Japanese but hearing it done in average english just sounds wrong. The other original names would be fine, so long as they don't screw up saying Shinichi like they did with the bang zoom dub. Shinichi's VA saying "shee knee chi" in the opening credits sounded too exaggerated, and randomly partway through the movie Ran's does the "Shin'ichi" break.

I know I wrote a bunch of cringeworthy walls of text of analysis and speculah as a young person on those forums; I hope they're gone from the internet forever.

The comfiest time to discuss anime on the internet was in the 90s ending around the very early 00s. In those days anime fandom was a very small world. People were focused on making like-minded friends, so we all used our real names and it was no big deal to meet up offline if we lived or visited nearby. There wasn't the random hostility you see everywhere nowadays, and everything wasn't politicized like it is today.
I wish the internet had stayed small like that.

Attached: 1550721449882.jpg (1920x1040, 217K)

I wonder if English non-speakers of Japanese can't hear the difference between Ran and Ron. I can hear it but I grew up speaking more than one language.
Their pronunciation of Shin'ichi would sound better if they put the stress on the "Shin" syllable (yeah, Japanese doesn't have stress accent the same as English does, but it's closer than saying Shi NI chi).

i liked the dub

sue me

enjoy your kanji involving cases

cute boys

i will

at least it's not the redub of NGE

Yea, I can kind of get the vibe from reading about it over the years but I'll never truly know what it was like. It really seems like a fun time. It was before the big internet boom of I think 2007 so it objectively has to have its perks by being smaller. The more people getting into it over time the more saturated and varied it became, which has its own benefits but also things to dislike from everyone being everywhere. I missed the great times and came in near the end of the good times which transitioned to the passable times. Really the early 00's and 90's are the most interesting years to me.

I can hear it, at least. With Shinichi it just sounds like Shiichi with fluctuating tone for the i's. At least when Ran says it I rarely hear the n. Ran has an a sound that Ron doesn't, I always read her name as run's "ran", not the way it's actually said for her name. I dunno how it is in Japan with a's or if they ever do it the way it sounds in english outside of "ah" reactions and sounds.

Attached: conan haibara.jpg (640x480, 27K)

I liked it too. It's one of the few dubs I can actually bear. The main voices are fine, I only ever had a problem with a couple one-off character voices but that's not bad for a dub or Funimation. Even their standard fare currently sounds obnoxious to me. They're not as bad as Bang Zoom and Bang Zoom isn't as bad as I think it was ADV. I wish Jerry Jewell got more main character roles but the best he seems to get is minor recurring characters like the principal in Hero Academia now. Harley's VA is out of dubs I guess but I liked him too. I never really heard him in anything else but I never watched much anime. R. Bruce Elliott as Richard was probably the best voice in their roster they could have picked, he even did good goofy lines.

The entirety of the dub would just be ignored on Yea Forums if it didn't introduce Americanization, especially after that had already died down. Now it's a very easy target because Jimmy and Rachel.

Attached: 1525913726348.jpg (832x624, 59K)

damn user how big is your conan reaction images

Attached: Untitled - Copy.png (872x1061, 886K)

*images folder

All my conan images are scattered over many folders.

Some things are better left a mystery.

Attached: 1532782267524.jpg (960x720, 88K)

I'm somewhere around episode 400 and the last arc I remember involved a treasure hunt and Kid.

Why is he so happy?

Attached: hppy.png (1153x775, 539K)

I have no idea, is he just deducing a crime? He does it gleefully sometimes.

Huge. Heh.

Attached: 1555824855284.jpg (960x720, 88K)

Because solving mysteries is one of the two things in life that gets his motor running.

Attached: 1539019630319.jpg (960x720, 73K)

So much fanservice cut from the anime.

Attached: 398_Shinichi_Adultery.jpg (474x257, 97K)

>congratulations on.. your 11th birthday, shiho
>have you found a boy you like already?
>see, mom's first love was..
FUCK YOU GOSHO YOU BULLIED HER TOO MUCH AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

What are you talking about.

last part of secret bathroom case

She's moved on from Conan already, now she wants some adult soccer player D.

These fantasy adultery scenes were hot.

I wonder if Ran ever imagines herself in bed with Shinichi.

Attached: 1561056866153.jpg (1069x605, 240K)

I'm going to read memories of sakura class again.

Rewatching Haibara's redemption arc

Attached: ran_salva_la_haibara.png (798x600, 285K)

Attached: sonobro.jpg (376x416, 42K)

It's great. I want Ran to become a loli again.

Attached: 1531096943956.png (1223x1920, 1.88M)

I fucking hate shippers, but I love this case so much. Probably the sweetest case gosho ever made.

Ranfag since day 1, just look at this smooth talker.

Attached: k12.png (1223x1920, 1.33M)

two bakas

Attached: k13.png (1223x1920, 1.39M)

first deduction show

Attached: k14.png (1223x1920, 1.5M)

holmes sugoooi

Attached: k15.png (1223x1920, 1.79M)

You know Gosho is the #1 biggest Shinichi x Ran shipper in the world. He drew this case while in the hospital before going on a long hiatus, not knowing if he would ever be able to come back to finish the series. That's part of why it has so much heart in it.

I like to go back and read what commentary I can on the old internet to see what people's reactions were as it aired on Adult Swim. If only the original Adult Swim message boards didn't get erased, that's where all the good shit was, where a few staff members at Williams Street dropped in, ratings for the show were posted, and presumably had a bit more people talking about the series.

Attached: big shrink first reactions.jpg (520x370, 36K)

Attached: shinichi.jpg (530x238, 21K)

I like how he was inspired to do his first deduction just to cheer up/impress Ran. I wonder if he would have still gotten into it if he never had met her, or if he would have gone down a completely different path.

this opinion is not wrong at all

>self-absorbed little prick
I like Shinichi and I would agree with this.
That also reminds me of that Conan O'Brien video where he describes Conan as having "douchebaggy facial expressions".

I'm curious to read opinions about DC by people who aren't fans.

based shinichi

Attached: N16.png (1223x1920, 1.84M)

say hello to soon-to-be your kidnapper

Attached: N17.png (1223x1920, 1.91M)

These people must not have much experience watching anime, DC is far from the only series that doesn't introduce the OP until the second episode. They sound confused.

I only remember watching it as a kid.
Is there ever gonna be a chance of him turning back to normal or is he doomed to be an eternal 10 yo?

>self absorbed prick

Attached: N5_cr.png (1086x910, 673K)

started blazing through it last month I'm at 450 now
I knew it was gonna be slow, but I didn't expect it to be this glacial, like, get on with the story dammit I don't want another fucking string-based case, fuck

There's only a handful of black organization episodes, you could just look them up if you don't like the episodic part.

Honestly seeing what other Americans feel about the series back then is intriguing. It can be brutal at times, nice at others. Later on after the premieres died and it was direct to DVD I found someone saying Funi was directly telling people the DVDs needed to sell better or they'd stop, and the reception at least in the thread was that it didn't matter because the dub was bad due to name changes. Same happened when the video game release was cancelled quietly. The support for the series' dub faded pretty fast despite the apparent movie sales being serviceable. That being the case, I assume Conan would have been doing fine if it had more action like a typical battle shounen. The first half of Season 5 also sold decently which I expect is due to a mix between less cutesy style and people finding the series better over time due to shit exposure at 1 am on an adult block originally. The rise of the internet helped it a tiny bit.

Is that during the recent Conan arc he did where it ended with him going to Japan? I couldn't watch the whole thing because I can't stand talkshow humor. IIRC he used the promotional image right off of google of his new design. I get the feeling he isn't the only one who got a bad impression of Conan due to his design. It's a fucking travesty how much of a character type is derived from just having glasses. I'm glad Funimation didn't go the cliche shitty route with him like they did with Genta/George. They easily could have given him the nerdy spiral glasses kind of character voice.

Someone mentioned that there's anime that does that, but they didn't like the song. Unfortunately it with the montage of the first episode was the only time the song in full ever played, it was like this every other time, sometimes the lyrics starting too soon and fading out at "when I felt like I should cry."
youtube.com/watch?v=TCtQFbGqwR0

Attached: body of a child.jpg (1058x322, 119K)

Done. That was a beautiful case.

All this is from before the second episode had aired also.

Attached: dubbed music and animation (lupin lupin lupin).jpg (1600x1306, 775K)

Conan looks nothing like Lupin. Fucking america.

The first few episodes had a very classic style that would easily trick people into thinking it was older than it was, it didn't help that later on after that date Adult Swim ran a promo calling Conan an old school anime, and that Conan and Lupin aired together. All these shots are of Conan.
youtube.com/watch?v=xtUoApCQoFo

At the same time, Conan was airing with digital anime which made it look even worse by contrast, and apparently the execs at [as] didn't like it because of its outdated look. The intent really did seem to be that the show was supposed to air on Toonami during the day before plans changed. I've heard that it was specifically mentioned on the original adult swim boards that that was the case but I never had a chance to see it.

Attached: old conan.png (617x462, 360K)

People likely would have complained about the early digital seasons too. The stuff [as] was airing had more shading and stuff.

Attached: 455.png (814x504, 596K)

Threadly reminder:
files.catbox.moe/1oe9fy.mp4

I didn't intend to post it every thread but if you want to I guess I can't stop you. I don't feel like getting sick today.

Attached: Aoyama distant sea.png (580x870, 1.09M)

How the hell does Aoyama have time to draw a weekly manga and play Kancolle?

It's scattered over multiple days and threads but people also had issues with the time the series was airing. Guides said it was at 12 but it aired at 12:30, Tivo was recording the wrong things, and people didn't know when the series was actually airing. This issue happened more when the premieres randomly shifted to 1 am. At some point they must have originally scheduled it at midnight but before it premiered, moved it later and guides didn't get enough of an advanced notice.

Attached: times.jpg (520x515, 89K)

>kancolle
animal crossing

Doesn't he only play these when sick?

Attached: Aoyama board.png (662x792, 390K)

Also for I only know of his Conan messages on animal crossing.

This is the first time I've heard that Gosho played Kancolle.
>I only know of his Conan messages
not just a message, it's upcoming case/chapter spoiler written in riddle.

Who has the best hips in the series?

Does he still do it? I thought it was only sometimes but maybe I read about it during a break.

Attached: waist.png (1164x429, 517K)

>Who has the best hips in the series?
eri
>Does he still do it?
yes he does, usually jptwitter screenshot the clues.

He even has all the hard clear medals which take a good amount of time investment.

Attached: OmgR6vz.jpg (756x1008, 127K)

Attached: sakurai-sama.jpg (494x400, 41K)

So many chapters where fucking nothing happens.

It's almost like you don't understand the series at all. That can't be it though, there's no dumbasses on Yea Forums.

you're right user

>almost getting yourself killed just so you can get out is redemption
>also draws ran into the line of fire

What I understand is that you could erase about two thirds of the chapters from existence without affecting the plot in any way.

Stop watching the series if you don't like anything but the plot. It's a fucking episodic crime series you dunce.

>What episode are you at on your Conan watch
I read the manga. The last thing I watched in the anime is probably that episode where Shinichi goes on a school trip with Ran and she meets Shinichi's doppelganger, some kendo guy, and then Shinichi's parents come and stay with Conan
>and what's the last thing that happened in the show?
I don't know

Those are two different episodes.

still the same case

They aren't the same case. One was a field trip and the other was the maria chan one

Since we have case discussion, what pre-smartphone cases that could be easily solved if the characters have smartphone?

As of the Aquarium case, everyone retroactively has smartphones in every episode now.

I honestly can't remember which movie first used the current design. I think it happened around 15?

Attached: Aoyama last wizard.png (720x960, 972K)

last boat movie

>there's a conan runner mobage by bushiroad in english
Heh.
It isn't voiced except for some grunts and the cases are mostly said in text as well.

It has so many issues.

New chapter tomorrow?