Oyasumi Punpun

What's the final verdict Yea Forums? MAL ranks it as the 6th best manga of all time at 9.02/10.

Does it deserve that high a score or is it still overrated trash in your eyes?

Attached: B0C312D4-1F7D-46B6-9DBA-E0727B8F569C.jpg (727x727, 269K)

First three volumes are aight. Dark comedy and kids acting like kids. Then it derives to a shitshow of Asano putting his thoughts on the characters' mouth.

boring
pretentious
nonsensical

THE TRIFECTA! Of course it's 'praised' and 'important' work of art!

>being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian

Starts off good, progressively gets worse. It's an entertaining ride and I wouldn't fault someone for saying that it's their favorite manga, but it's not a masterpiece for me. I personally enjoyed the artstyle a lot.

This user however is retarded and probably only reads 4-koma to sate his ADHD

Chapters 1-99: 10/10
Chapters 100-147: 1.5/10
Overall: 8.5/10

Like the others have said, the final act was complete shit compared to the rest of the manga, especially after Punpun reunites with Aiko and kills her mom - that was when everything went downhill storywise

Other than that it was definitely a once in a lifetime read; it provided a unique yet despairing experience that probably no other manga can replicate. It's up there with One Piece, Vagabond and Berserk in that retrospect.

Bump

Yea Forums doesn't like the final act because they don't like things that make them confront the horrible cruelty of reality. Bright colors! Cute little girls! Cheerful pop songs! No bad thoughts! No bad thoughts! No bad thoughts!

That being said the whole Alien Cult stuff was complete shit and out of place.

based

hits too close to home

It was good until the normalfags caught wind of it and started tattooing punpun heads all over themselves

>forced drama between Aiko and Punpun
>almost comically evil mother character
>one of the most nonsensical arcs in the manga starting with the murder
>forced romance with Aiko to make it seem like the manga is "coming full circle"
If you think the last arc reflects reality in some way then you need to wait until you're 18 to post here.

If you think you understood the manga then your are wrong. Also, why anons don’t seem to understand the meaning behind the cult?

>Forced Drama between Punpun and Aiko

Punpun you came back into my life at my lowest point only to strangle my mother to death and ruin my life. Lets still be best friends forever Ōtsukidesu Nii!

>Comically Evil Mother Character

From Punpun's pov everybody he disagrees with is portrayed as an exageratted evil monster complete with deformed features in order for him to dehumanize them. Did you not read the first fucking chapter?.

>One of the most nonsensical arcs in the manga
If we're going by the Alien cult shit, I will agree that it's inclusion made no sense. Asano should have just stuck with Punpun and Aiko's story but otherwise I disagree.

>Forced Romance
It's not like Aiko was set up since Chapter 1 to be Punpun's recipocated love intrest. You either did not read the manga or are more likely missing a chromosome.

I read it and it made me cry

sounds like bakemonogatari

Aside from the cult stuff I don't get the hate for the final arc, I thought it was one of the best parts along with the childhood arc.

I cared more about him then Punpun and Aiko by the end

Attached: 05e11790-d242-4879-9cca-607ac0c2212.jpg (736x734, 160K)

It was enjoyable but also really forgettable at the same time. I really enjoyed the ending.

There's no denying the kino paneling, photorealism, designs, etc. but thematically it left me really wanting. I generally love works focusing on psychology and neurotics (Ideon, NGE, Zeta) but Punpun never had *that* moment where I felt the despair the author was invoking; the only scene to really get me was the first date and the aftermath, everything else was honestly pretty uncompelling. I don't hate it and would understand why it's someone's favorite.
As for MAL, MAL ratings hold almost zero weight due to the a) community and b) higher degree of conformity anime fans. The top 100 isn't reflective of anything except series' popularity.