Man, this manga really goes to shit once it enters the 3v3 tournament format

Man, this manga really goes to shit once it enters the 3v3 tournament format.
It all becomes powerlevel bullshit, stupid looking oversouls and constant blowouts to make some other guy seem stronger. They even weaponize the concept of nearly dying to essentially exploit the constant boost in spirit levels, like its DBZ.

Attached: 215px-Shaman_King_DVD.jpg (215x316, 36K)

Fuck off, tastelet

Good arguments, but none of what I've said is wrong.

>Posts anime cover
>Talks about manga

Pathetic.

Did I insult your favorite childhood show, are you ok

You are right, but despite that, it's still in the upper echelon of shounen manga.

Its universally accepted that it falls in quality really quickly, but there's still a lot of character left in it if you can stomach the generic shonen crap.

Fuck off. There's nothing universlaly accepted besides your shitty headcanon.

Now go back to your universally shit called FMA

>Got a sequel
>Magazine dies
>Gets two sequels
>The better one takes far longer to update with the Ana 3.0 being really fucking awful

can you speak fucking english, please?

I'd agree with you if it didn't have a train wreck rushed ending that had to be revised years later which ultimately missed the boat

To this day I wonder if Takei fell foul of SJ internal politics or something.

There's occasional moments where they go back to it being about "creative use" of your powers instead of just a numbers game, but it very quickly bounces back to fellating Hao's numbers.
At least they live and die by that and actually make him win the the final fight instead of being overwhelmed by friendship.

>Man, this manga really goes to shit once it enters the 3v3 tournament format.
It doesn't, but it does lower in quality after Osorezan Revoir and the arc where Chocolove goes blind I liked the arc itself and by the end loved Chocolove as a character, but it marked the start of they just spamming resurrection, which I never liked, and the two final arcs (the one with Manta's father bringing an army to fight the Shaman and the fight with Silva and the other tribe members before Hao becomes king) are the weakest on the manga. Still had good moments here and there and I really liked the ending itself.

>To this day I wonder if Takei fell foul of SJ internal politics or something.
You don't have to wonder a thing, it's no secret that Jump cancelled the thing and forced him to end it in the middle of the arc. I think he had to buy the rights from jump or something to make the actual ending in the re-release

fpbp

fuck off brainlets

Attached: sosmall2.png (2047x1500, 632K)

fucked up, shame he turned down that anime reboot too.

trying too hard man

did I insult your favorite cartoon? Not my fault your taste is a shit.

>but it very quickly bounces back to fellating Hao's numbers
Reminder, pic related

Mankin only masquerades as a battle manga at best.
The manga is pretty much all about Yoh's(Takei's self insert) beliefs.

>but it marked the start of they just spamming resurrection
Wrong actually.
They don't use the revival technique that much(because it costs too much furyoku and only Maiden, Ghandara and Faust know how to do it).
The most they use it is in the final dungeon arc but even there Maiden runs out of Furyoku after 2-3 revivals and needs to stay behind to recharge and Faust can't really afford to waste his furyoku so they have to be careful. It reaches a point where they have to stop and rest because midway through the dungeon to replenish their Furyoku because they just can't go on.

>(the one with Manta's father bringing an army to fight the Shaman and the fight with Silva and the other tribe members before Hao becomes king)
Now this one was definitely the worst arc of the original series.

I didn't mind final arc that much and the last few chapters always have me grinning from ear to ear.

Attached: 1491707590611.jpg (887x1400, 192K)

>I think he had to buy the rights from jump or something to make the actual ending in the re-release
How do you idiots still get the simplest things wrong after all this time?

Takei finished the original series with the Kang Zeng Bang reprint(in honor of the 10th anniversary) while he was still at Jump.

He left Jump after Flowers magazine went under and he had enough of Shueisha so he moved to Kodansha with Nekogahara and eventually took Shaman King's rights with him and now he's serializing a sequel on the monthly magazine.

I didn't know about that but I'm not surprised.

You know if they make a manga based on the politics and dirt of Jump editors (what Bakuman could've been) that might be a pretty interesting read.

I haven't read much of the new series for a long time.
How have they been? Flowers-tier bad?
I read that he's been having health issues from what I read from Patch-Cafe/Andysislands too.

Sucks the original series will never have a good anime adaptation.

>Now go back to your universally shit called FMA
Based.
Fuck that soulless reddit shit for Amerifats getting that adaptation in 2009 while a SOULFUL series like Mankin never did.

Is it really masquerading when so much of its time is dedicated to it? At the end of the day Yoh still obliterates most of his opponents with ressurection powerups and the senji ryakketsu, sure he occasionally spouts some philosophy while he does it, but it's a lot less impressive when he is just naturally strong enough to impose it on most fighters anyway.

>what Bakuman could've been
They obviously couldn't go at them too hard since it was published on Jump itself bet there is still a lot of that on Bakuman, but the entire final arc. is just the authors bitching at jump about forcing them to continue Death Note after the death of L because it was too popular

>They don't use the revival technique that much(because it costs too much furyoku and only Maiden, Ghandara and Faust know how to do it)
Ren's sister can also use it by the end, at that's still what I complain about. They pretty much make it into an RPG resurrection spell, even if they have to manage their energy to use it I just don't like it being a thing. They where literally counting the times they had left to resurrect during that last dungeon, even if they run out of resurrection it makes death feel like a minor annoyance. Also those free power ups they get after ressurecting, it was very cool when Chocolove did it the first time because resurrecting felt like a really big deal at that point, then it just becomes a easy way to power up characters

>Is it really masquerading when so much of its time is dedicated to it?
Not really, it's clear he was doing it to satisfy readers demands.
He skipped so many fights.
We never got Kurobina Hao vs Byakko Yoh
He off-screened much of Anna vs Hao
Didn't show Lady Sati's battle with Enma Daioh etc. the list goes on and on

He didn't actually like drawing battles but he was pretty much forced to after his previous series(Butsu Zone) got canned.
He loved Butsu Zone so much and was sad that it was canceled because it was the story he really wanted to tell. He went as far as paying out of his own pocket to adapt the story he planned for Butsu Zone into an audio drama(even got Megumi Hayashibara to voice Anna I and all).

>At the end of the day Yoh still obliterates most of his opponents with ressurection powerups and the senji ryakketsu
Nigger, did you even read the manga?
Yoh barely ever finishes any fights throughout the manga(the few fights he fights) much less obliterate anyone(he also ends up only the 4th strongest out of his group) and most of the time he prefers a peaceful solution.

The whole point of Yoh's character is that he reaches the heart of others with his unconditional love.
Yoh's true weapon is not Harusame, or Futsu-no-Mitama-Tsurugi, or Spirit of Earth or whatever.
Yoh's weapon is his love.

Attached: x17.jpg (739x1100, 227K)

The one with Ana 3.0 is her leaving the MC in that ice box until he wakes up goes on a road trip and its just painful filler of no consequence. Its with the very beginning chapters of the original series with Yao dealing with issues around the block except this time in the boonies at some random police station and flips back and forth to that fighter pilot jap's prospective that is supposed to be Hana's new spirit and we learn nothing new.

The other is more interesting with us finding out how Jeanne died, some old clan that want's Ren's old clan dead for revenge and that pyramid shaped spirit with "the capitalist god" helping them out as this is technically tournament time. Horohoro and June sister get some decent screan time with a few other familiar faces.

>Ren's sister can also use it by the end
Hmm I don't remember this.

>hey pretty much make it into an RPG resurrection spell
I've never played and RPG where it consumes 25 to 50% of your whole MP for a revival spell so I can't really agree with this.

In the end the whole battles and stakes are a distraction because we all know Yoh would never kill Hao anyways, that would be out of character and the whole plot(especially Osorezan Revoir and Yoh's whole character arc) sets up the end to be one where instead of killing Hao they forgive him.

>The one with Ana 3.0 is her leaving the MC in that ice box until he wakes up goes on a road trip and its just painful filler of no consequence. Its with the very beginning chapters of the original series with Yao dealing with issues around the block except this time in the boonies at some random police station and flips back and forth to that fighter pilot jap's prospective that is supposed to be Hana's new spirit and we learn nothing new.
Oh god that sounds horrible. His pacing hasn't improved jackshit from Flowers.

>The other is more interesting with us finding out how Jeanne died, some old clan that want's Ren's old clan dead for revenge and that pyramid shaped spirit with "the capitalist god" helping them out as this is technically tournament time. Horohoro and June sister get some decent screan time with a few other familiar faces.
Yeah I was more interested in that one and read more of that one because we got to see Horohoro, Jun, Ren etc. the characters I used to love instead of this boring Alumi bullshit with the rare brief page of Hao and Yoh talking some bullshit to each-other.
It's sad that Takei is being outdone by one of his assistants.

He just can't do shit monthly really. I wonder if the series would be better if he were doing it weekly? Would the pacing improve?

Not that these sequels were ever necessary in the first place but..

Yeah I know and I really wish there's another manga like Bakuman, maybe in a rival magazine without the same restrictions and without the crappy romance plot.

Can you imagine if Nisio Isin writes it? The rant will be spectacular

I think Yoh even got really close to figuring it out himself, but then kind of stopped bothering.

>Hmm I don't remember this.
I can't give you an exact chapter number but I thing it was her first time appearing after a while, around the final arc. It was one of the things that made resurrection irk me on the first place while reading, the whole conversation around it was just too casual. Something around the lines of:
-Hey Jun, are you able to resurrect people now?
-Yes, I learned how to do it
-Cool, we can afford to die a few more times

Right, I remember now, she resurrects Team Ren.
To be honest Jun knows a lot of about the human body what with her partner being a kyonshi so it's acceptable to me.
Her furyoku is also lower than even Faust's so she can't abuse it either.

I don't remember that exchange though.

I used to read Shaman King 15 years ago in Swedish Shounen Jump but I think it stopped around where they go to America and gets thrown out of a plane, so the series went to shit after that?

I was considering reading through all of it but I guess I didn't really miss anything?

Attached: 1343319857506.png (325x325, 121K)

king of shonen

>I think it stopped around where they go to America and gets thrown out of a plane
Thats the only chapter i've read and i found it pretty entertaining. Thinking i should stop putting off reading it.

I kind of liked the itako no anna stuff at the start. It felt a lot like what flowers should've been. Flowers just felt like he was ripping off his own manga, while superstar seems to set up its own things. It's still too early to really say whether or not it'll just devolve back into what flowers was, or if it can actually stand on its own feet. I definitely agree with you that the crimson is a lot more interesting so far though.

It's a pretty good read, but it seems to be something that people either really like or really hate. So if you don't like what you're reading, then just give up, but if you enjoyed most of what happened, then keep going. It's by far the most interesting shounen I've read since the MC isn't actually the strongest character and the story does an incredible job at delivering what it set up to be. You should always keep in mind that the message from the main characters is that fighting is bad, and violence is a last resort.

I love Shaman King but he's right. Takei had a great setup with the villain's victory being predetermined, but having to force Saiyan injury powerups was a foolish, foolish idea. I stopped reading after volume 23 because that was when I had to leave for college and I just never got back into it, but by the sound of things I caught a lucky break.

It's completely amazing up until volume 15, after that it starts going downhill faster and faster.

>we will never get to see an uncensored version of the Faust fight in the preliminaries

This is one of my favorite childhood series, but it honestly got so shit. Too preachy and the powerup system was retarded. Plus it felt like the author was too much on Hao's side by the end. I can't pinpoint another manga where the author has such a boner for the villain as this one.

Nope

Takei is bent over to not let this series die with the spinoffs and sequels but honestly I wish he could let it go. It's very clear it's past its prime by now and feels like he's just dragging it by now because it's his only cash cow.

>having to force Saiyan injury powerups was a foolish, foolish idea.
This. It should never have been a thing. If he killed characters only to bring them back. In a manga about spirits, why not follow characters after their deaths?

I feel like it was starting to build towards an ending where everyone talks Hao down by reminding him of the few friends he did have and uncovering his suppressed emotions, but someone didn't want to put in the effort to make an ending like that work. Hell, it was established that Yoh and Hao are two halves of the same spirit, so they even could have pulled an ending where the two of them merge into one consciousness and Yoh's spirit has a calming influence on Hao. Instead we got "Hao wins, and he hasn't changed, but he won't destroy the world JUST yet", like it was trying to go for 3 separate endings but couldn't fully commit to any of them. Having a series fail to realize its potential is so much worse than if the series were just bad.

I'm surprised his other work with Stan Lee didn't get an anime adaptation

Am I the only one who gets the 'father watching over their child(ren) vibes'? Especually on the arcs where yoh's father appeared