Crest of the Stars

For reals, is Banner of the Stars an East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere masturbation fantasy? It might be because we are placed in the Abh's perspective, but the entire story comes off as smugly mocking the uncivilized monkey humans for not just lying down and submitting to naked aggressive expansionism by gene-chipped space elf empire which is after all be best state of affairs they could live under.

Attached: Banner of the Stars II (Seikai no Senki II - 10.mkv_snapshot.jpg (853x480, 101K)

i think the story pretty clearly shows the Abh as indifferent and even unable to understand landers. It doesn't really imply that their rule is better, it just is.

Wow Same Voice Actor

Attached: Saber 11111111111111111.png (419x603, 421K)

>For reals, is Banner of the Stars an East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere masturbation fantasy?
Not exactly. It does play to the boner the Japanese have for imperialism, but not to that particular approach to imperialism. The Abh basically leave the populations of planets to do whatever the hell they like, as long as it's ultimately acknowledged that they're part of the Abh Empire, and the Empire controls space travel. This is in contrast with the other interstellar governments that talk big about "freedom" but impose their own values on the societies of whatever planets come under their control.

>She sees your dick

Attached: Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou) [DVD 480p Hi10P AAC AC3 dual-audio][kuchikirukia].mkv_snapsho (706x478, 40K)

Having exclusive control of space travel and the interstellar trade is a pretty massive imposition. IRL colonies have revolted because being forced to trade exclusively with the metropole was a heavy chain on the economy.

True enough, but the Abh seem to be fair enough in their terms that most planets are okay enough with being under them. Certainly doing well enough economically. I think it's implied that - in times of peace, at least - they can trade with planets outside the empire, it's just that they lease spaceships from the Abh rather than own them.

Mate, I don't care, space elf pussy.

Its not really subtle how much the author likes the Abh and treats them as the "good guys" of the series.

The "bad guys" are the united mankind and other aggressive human nations...OK fair enough.

Except that the Abh basically show up and try to annex everyone without space flight, and argubably the only reason they dont annex everyone with space flight is because they dont want to get into a conflict.

They have a very obvious race based caste system where the Abh are at the top (with VERY rare exceptions like Jinto who is a noble despite being human) and normal humans are convenient subjects...capable of helping to crew starships and contributing to the economy, but barred from any real power.

The worst part is that they have all this gene tech that can help humans, but its all reserved for the nobility who are almost entirely Abh. They could give human descendants longevity, but they withold it for their own use.

Imagine living in a society where you are constantly reminded that you are inferior and will never obtain what the Abh was given at birth. It would be better if the Abh freely provided their gene tech to all their subjects, in order to truly create a benevolent empire, but by restricting it to themselves, they are just tyrants.

Also the most ridiculous part of the first 3 novels was when Lafiel easily outruns and outshoots a platoon of trained soldiers more or less by herself, since Jinto was just trying to keep up and not doing much else. That scene just showed how much the author liked the Abh to the point of giving them plot armor.

IRL colonies are not the size of a planet. They have all the resources they need for thriving economy right where they are.

the end of BotS 3 was hilarious. Martine agrees to quietly go back under Abh rule, and the only concession is that Jinto and all his descendents have to fuck off. So did they ever give a shit about independence, or did they just have a hateboner for Jinto's dad? It's a pretty weaksauce rebellion if it can be placated just by not having to look at the governor.

Didn't they get their strongest weapon completely wrecked without the Abh even trying? I imagine that was probably a wake-up call.

No it's an allegory on the British Empire
No it's an allegory on Imperial Rome
No it's an allegory on America
No it's an allegory on the Middle Kingdom
No it's an allegory on the Russian Empire

You'd be surprised what can set off people to go to war

I wonder what Kipling would think of all this.

it's in the nature of the strong to subjugate the weak and only the weak fail to recognise it

Kind of right, kind of not. We honestly don't see much of them going about annexing, just Jinto's planet, which didn't have space travel. (Though did have surface-to-orbit weapons that were enough to concern the Abh.) If they avoid annexing planets that already have space travel to avoid conflict, that's honestly fair enough - actively seeking out war is a pretty bad thing to do generally.

They do have a caste system, but I don't think it's quite as rigid (or racist) as you say it is - the Abh still think of themselves as human, and "landers" becoming Abh nobility doesn't seem to be *that* rare - uncommon, sure, more common I think than a commoner rising to nobility in England throughout history. Landers who choose to serve in the military (IIRC, they don't have conscription) do earn some privileges in doing so.

As for the gene tech, as far as I know the Abh do provide adequate medical care for all, but don't impose things like longevity treatments on anyone who doesn't want it. Possibly it's held as one of the privileges for military service but that's not entirely unfair; Abh nobility are obliged to serve in the military but Landers aren't and the general view is that some things need to be earned.

As for Lafiel outrunning and outgunning the trained soldiers... well A) she's military herself, B) she's genetically enhanced, and C) fucking all fiction pulls that kind of thing.

As always it's never quite that simple; I expect the planetary government wound up deciding that on balance they're not that badly off under the Empire (probably whichever other empire "liberated" them were bigger shitheads to them), but there was enough ill will towards Jinto's dad for his betrayal that they couldn't just accept Jinto or any other descendants calling the planet home.

Im really hesitant to call Jinto Dad's stunt a full on betrayal. I mean I suppose it was but all he did was basically ensure a similar status quo by not picking a fight with aliens who can destroy them with a thought. It's been a while since I watched it though.

He made the objectively right decision, but the way he short circuited normal government processes and had himself made the Duke meant that the optics of it were absolutely terrible.

I feel like the people of Roc would have lynched whomever got the job regardless of how they were elected. Roc's a shit planet.

Why the hell is english translation for the current manga so awful?

Nothing. He's dead.

Is it LH?

Pretty much. Had he not had himself made Duke in the deal, it would probably have all gone okay.

SpaceTravel/Interstellar trade is not relevant to 99.99999999% of the daily lives of people on the world. While domestic policies of the other human empires are dominate the internet politics of their respective world and force you to do all sorts of things.

See that's what confuses me. If he retains his power than the status quo is still the same because the Ahb don't micromanage. If he didn't insist on his own power staying in place, then the Ahb likely would have sent one of their own guys out of obligation and they wouldn't know Rocs needs.

nayuki love

It probably would have been the territory of some random Abh nobility, but actual governing would still be done by the locals. But the point is that if he’d made someone else Duke instead of himself, the people wouldn’t have gotten so upset.

Not familiar with them. How is it, translation aside? Only ever recall checking out the first chapter and my memory is fucking old folks' home tier.

Art is great but I feel like the story doesn't fit the manga format too well.
There's lots of exposition in dialogues and while anime cut some parts out, but conveyed the rest through va emotions, the manga is just a bubble of text after bubble of text at times. And space battles are sharply drawn but incomprehensible most of the time.
It could've easily been an addendum to the book instead without any text.

Attached: x22.png (1122x1600, 1.78M)

That's too bad, always a bummer when an adaptation just doesn't fit the medium. Thanks for the rundown.

>imagine being 40 and fucking a 12 year old looking elf girl
Doujins.

The people of Martinh might have been better persuaded that his decision really was made for the good of the planet and not himself if he had not benefited personally in any way from the deal. For example, if the Duke were to be selected by free election in which he would ideally not be allowed to participate. The important part was that the Duke should have the planet's best interests in mind when trading in their valuable biological resources, which some random Abh dispatched from the empire wouldn't have had.

I watched the first episode of the anime and dropped it without a second thought. Tell me why I should watch the anime or read the manga.

>change my mind

Attached: banner.jpg (706x530, 83K)

It's pretty much what it says on the cover. Space opera with space elves and shit. If you weren't into it, you probably won't be now.