What makes an anime more than entertainment, and propels it in the stratum of art? Like Violet Evergarden for example

What makes an anime more than entertainment, and propels it in the stratum of art? Like Violet Evergarden for example

Attached: 60fc9ceb8ff8a6cb24ba071c088376d45e36297f.jpg (1024x576, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

VEG is mediocre

Attached: 1551235813348.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

Funny joke

Attached: Saberclone a shit.jpg (244x183, 10K)

When it's done right like SEL

your opinion of it

If your definition of art is such that VEG falls under it then the answer is: budget, pretentiousness and muh sad

time flop, sora yori, vegfag, etc.

Everything is art nowadays. This post is art.

Art is anything you do once the chores are done. Violet Evergarden, Sword Art Online, playing your favorite MMO, hentai, killing yourself, it's all the same thing.

Attached: DxIsuamUwAMethl.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

Aww, is someone mad because he got curbstomped in the last thread?

Being produced by Studio Trigger.

Attached: lwa.jpg (1200x800, 203K)

ART
>FLCL
>Akira
>Mind Game
>Evangelion
>Utena
>Pom Poko
>Space Dandy
>Kaiba
>Cat Soup
>Dead Leaves
>The Golden Bird
>Bobby's in Deep
>Angel's Egg
>Mononoke
>Genius Party
>Belladonna of Sadness
>Night on the Galactic Railroad
>The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
>Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai
>The Tatami Galaxy
>Casshern Sins

NOT ART
>Rakugo
>Tsuki ga Kirei
>Aria the Origination
>Kemono no Souja Erin
>Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>Shirobako
>Monster
>Seirei no Moribito
>Welcome to the NHK
>March Comes in like a Lion
>Nodame Cantabile
>Usagi Drop
>Planetes
>Hyouge Mono
>Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
>Natsume Yuujinchou
>Yuru Camp
>The Garden of Words
>5 Centimeters per Second
>Non Non Biyori

Learn the difference

Attached: kaiba.jpg (2880x4320, 2.26M)

Where does Madoka fit in?

The true question is, what makes anime more than art, and makes it entertainment?

Attached: 1498021356321.jpg (372x500, 57K)

*masturbates*
Behold
Art

Somewhere in this tier.
youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

A director with balls.
>This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that late night anime these days are always competing for attention, wanting to leave the biggest impact. It’s not that I dislike or reject this approach, but I think there should at least be one anime series taking a slightly different direction from the rest.

>For example, we could have made the series much more flashy by increasing the fantastical elements of the novel, offering viewers a world they had never seen before. We could have had something with steampunk-like action and a plot that twists and turns. But if we did this, whilst the series may gain attention, this attention may be short-lived. We wouldn’t be able to express the appeal of the novel to its fullest.

>What lies at the centre of this work is, as the title suggests, the story of the girl, Violet Evergarden. As such, I thought it would be best to adapt the story of this down-to-earth girl in a careful manner, honestly, without running away. This may be going against the current trend, but I thought that by breaking through this, going in the opposite direction, we could make something that was different. If we were able to depict emotions and a sense of earnestness that are universally felt, then perhaps Violet Evergarden could become a much beloved work.

It's not perfect but holy shit I enjoyed quite a bit. Been a good while since something from this shit medium gave me this kind of ecstasy.

Attached: 1295847039812.gif (245x187, 1.93M)

a cute female MC

Attached: Evergasm eyes.webm (1920x1080, 1.39M)

In the dumpster catching fire.

Yeah no.

>Violet evernigger for example
Wrong

Meems

Attached: larosadespacita.jpg (364x513, 58K)

>fucking gypsies

So full of shit.
>pretending dramas don't exist in anime
>pretending VEG was in any way a risk
>pretending a full autist child super-soldier is somehow a new concept in anime
>pretending the flashback to her losing her arms showed any restraint
>pretending the parachute into *teleports behind you* in the forest showed any restraint
>pretending saving everything from the le evil warhawk without hurting anyone on top of a train was subtle or "down-to-earth"
The faggot got a big budget and made a few sob story episodes that could have been transplanted anywhere in a garbage overarching story and he's trying to act like he's some incredible artist and we should all suck his dick. Fuck off with that shit.

It's a shame too, because the idea of being a ghostwriter in that kind of world to reconnect with humanity and yourself after traumatizing experiences could be used very well if it was done with a more human character than Violet. Funny how he fellates his "down-to-earth girl" while the outlandishness of that character and her arc was the major flaw that spoiled the anime.

>strawman
>dumping millions of dollars and countless hours of slave labor into an adaptation of a heavy drama written by a literal who isn't risky
>strawman
>strawman
>strawman
>strawman
Holy shit son, you only managed to make 1 (one) argument in all of that.

Fairy Gone is basically VEG but without the autistic fanbase behind it, which is sad.

Yeah yes.
The gulf between the Oscarbaiting and "pleeeeeease take this Very Serious Picture seriously" on display in convenience store saber vs. the trashy romance novel writing that we got is a thing to behold.

Attached: stoned sucy.jpg (480x360, 28K)

Nah he's right that it's tropey and emotionally manipulative.

The picks for not art seem kinda random

is this show as good as or similar to Tutu? I haven't really watched anything since like Luluco because it's all crap but i heard someone compare the two shows once

Attached: 21. Princess Tutu (2000) [BD 720p Hi10P AAC][kuchikirukia].mkv_snapshot_02.42_[2018.11.21_12.38.49]. (960x720, 55K)

You're right that VEG isn't entretaining at all.

>If we were able to depict emotions
>Violet
Choose one

I choose both.

Attached: 1523587544524.webm (1066x600, 2.49M)

Honestly I think the style in Hibike was just the right balance of maximalism. VEG crosses the line, especially with the awful low contrast.

Art is a dead word. Its meaning is so hollowed out that it's unusable because hacks have sucked it dry of all real meaning.

Attached: 1535569291207.png (1085x1080, 780K)

It is funny. I thought it was below average, artsy and overanimated junk, with overused cliches for tear-jerking with no actual effect at all. The character development was a joke. There was only a single episode that didn't feel cringy, was interesting a bit and actually well done with character interactions, backstories and the like. Where they took the effort, the animation was actually pretty nice and fitting, I can give them that.

This. Today's Kyoani is a glaring example.

Being emotionally manipulative is inherent to all forms of drama. Stupid zoomer stay on your board.