twitter.com/Graff_Art_/status/1129303930695897089
youtube.com/watch?v=eG5ayLD3eBg
youtube.com/watch?v=WYtjq6-nvy0
youtube.com/watch?v=HGOZx7JjfvI&t
youtube.com/watch?v=dcnWAzwEd6o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

After all these years, she's still the best girl

Attached: 2848.jpg (192x236, 17K)

Attached: 1248571212382.jpg (496x701, 38K)

YOU WON'T SEE ME COMIIIING

God I love this series

Finished it today. Fucking amazing journey

Dead the novel. With Nakata Jouji’s voice in your head. The experience is singular

Well, you're lucky that I listened to the OP and decided to make this thread.

Both the OP and ED are top tier.

Attached: 1248568659875.jpg (550x709, 125K)

The manga could've been so fucking good but the author was forced to keep it to a single volume.

Attached: Count of Monte Cristo.jpg (1458x2048, 835K)

That looks goregous

Attached: moe 30763 gankutsuou haydée matsubara_hidenori the_count_of_monte-cristo_(edmond_dantès).jpg (2441x3489, 3.11M)

It has the original end, right? That's makes it better than Gankutsuou (allthogh I love Gankutsuou)

Ends exactly the same as the manga with some slight changes, mainly Edmond leaving Albert and Mercedes a small part of his fortune so they wouldn't live in poverty.

Shit, I meant it ends the same as the novel.

youtu.be/BCqgKYWr_ig
Remember that THIS
is the best song in the OST.

SO TONIGHT I'LL SING A SONG TO ALL MY FRIENDS

ALSO TO THOSE WE WON'T BE SEEING AGAIN

Thanks for the recc. It was awesome.

HAKSHAKU

Attached: hakushaku.jpg (960x540, 96K)

The Count did nothing wrong.

Happy Birthday

Attached: 31848.png (225x350, 229K)

Who is this handsome fella

Le Comte de Monte-Cristo

Attached: 1257403436628.jpg (472x593, 101K)

I think that MC looks more like me than any other anime character

That is a boy

Saw it recently and I adore everything about it except maybe it starts to get a little disjointed towards the end. I feel like such a pleb for not having read the novel yet.

Cutest girl incoming

Attached: Gankutsuou_06.DVD(H264.AAC)[KAA][F8DF0B8C].mkv_snapshot_18.09_[2019.06.12_01.56.00].jpg (704x480, 51K)

That Haydee is incredibly sexy. Also kudos to the author for drawing naked loli Haydee.

I'm so happy to see this thread. This anime needs more love.

Attached: Screenshot_20190130-123724.png (1280x720, 947K)

À ciao, bon dimanche!

the OG ending is better. Count deserves happiness

Sorry, I don't speak Frog

He could have made Albert his bitch but nooooo
It's a better revenge on Albert's father than a simple kill

Read the translation put out by Penguin Classics. Best and most complete. All the other cut content for some stupid reason.

Also fuck you Gigguk. Thanks for putting a spotlight on old but good shit so the seasonal plebs gain some awareness of what actually makes good anime, but fuck you all the same. Normies OUT.

Literally Elliott Rogers

>Penguin
>Normies OUT
user, you're cute but what the fuck

I wish they would adapt more Classic western books into Anime
I wanna see a d'Artagnan series

>tfw the pic and OP post made the song auto play and the feels start
I watched it as I was reading the unabridged version of the book. It hard.

I recently read the entire novel, what a wild ride. I remembered this show existing so after I finished the book so I went back to watch it. Pretty good show, I love the art style and the design of future Paris and space vampire Edmond, but I don't like some of the changes made to the general plot and characterizations.

Gankutsuou thread? nice

I'm glad they released some new merch finally. I picked up a good chunk of it while in Ikebukuro last week. twitter.com/Graff_Art_/status/1129303930695897089

But that would make him a faggot.

Nice eceleb thread, I too watch his videos

Gankutsuou has crypto-yaoi themes everywhere and is not subtle at all

Oh shit there's a manga adaptation ?
Is that girl Mercédès ?

It already exists.

go suck the count's dick

you're lucky user

>not these two
youtube.com/watch?v=eG5ayLD3eBg
youtube.com/watch?v=WYtjq6-nvy0

>Normies

Not in current year, it's not.

Attached: 1268289598722.jpg (488x682, 155K)

We need highres Peppos

They already have World Masterpiece Theater

Getting Villefort's son killed was definitely wrong, but yes, they had it coming

he should have done worse to Danglars

that little shit or Benedetto? that was his mother's fault, the latter deserved it.

you must be living in CURRENT YEAR

They didn't see him coming

Benedetto didn't die. The book makes clear that children should not be held accountable for the sins of their parents.

>Benedetto didn't die.
didn't they killed him during the raid in the hostel or locked him up?

>Studio Gonzo is shi...

Attached: Gonzo.png (1367x1317, 2.93M)

Add blue Sub 6

That voice.

It went to shit. It used to be good.

My nigga, I listen to the ost all the time. In fact I am right this instant.

youtube.com/watch?v=HGOZx7JjfvI&t

>haydee as a blonde byzantine
dammmmn

Is it true that of all things this one is the adaptation that follows the books the closest?

Attached: Gankutsuou 03.mkv_snapshot_10.17_[2017.10.21_23.27.39].jpg (1920x1080, 117K)

Its one of the longer adaptations, so it comes close, but there are still some notable departures.
Still, it's a very faithful and affectionate adaptation. The key differences are Edmond's stay in prison, the POV change, Franz is far more important in the anime, Noirtier is far less important than in the book, and the count survives with a loli end in the book.

Pretty sure Haydee was 18 by the end of the book.

>he should have done worse to Danglars
This. It's been decades since I read the book, and I'm still mad that Danglar had it so easy while being the root of all bad thing happened to Edmond. Same with that Mercedes whore.

Is Romeo X Juliet any good?

It wasn't but the OP/ED were great.

What was his fucking problem

Nice!

Who's? OP here, see . I made this thread, because I listened the OP came on my playlist.

I read the book over the last few weeks & was blown away by the depth compared to the embarassing (but good?) 2002 movie.

How well does this Chinese cartoon adapt a French novel?

Attached: 1503040581308.jpg (509x554, 49K)

A lot better than most

>people who think they're intellectuals because it's based off classic literature

Nobody liked reading that shit in highschool and anyone who says so is a liar.

An honest but underwhelming response

Might serve to convince my cunt friend that Lelouche wishes he could be as cool as Edmund Dantes

Attached: 1484389535076.jpg (641x581, 65K)

The first Hellsing by Gonzo was unironically better even with the dumb filler at the end. Prove me wrong.

I love Lulu but comparing him to Edmond Dantes is fucking unfair because Lulu is still a fucking kid.

People grow up, taste changes
It's you who got stuck at preteen mental age

>Lelouche
Watch Gundam

Bruh, unlike shit like anything by Proust or Joyce the Count of Monte Christo is actually a fun read.

The Count of Monte Cristo is a really fun book. It's a swashbuckling adventure novel in an exotic setting. It's a novel about a ridiculously rich guy making an insanely elaborate plan to give karmic revenge on the dudes who wronged him.
It's one of the rare classic novels that actually made me say "Oh shit" like I was watching an episode of Code Geass. The Noirtier reveal. Jesus.

WHERE IS FISH WAIFU

Count of Monte-Cristo in high school? God, why can't we study something like this on lessons in Russia? It was so much more interesting than War and Peace or Eugene Onegin.
Where is Joyce not interesting?

>Destroys lives of multiple lesser antagonists and, indirectly, innocent bystanders
>Finally confronts Danglars, the mastermind, the final villain.
>"if I kill him I will be just like him"
>...It's like one of my japanese animes...
WTF Yea Forums why did you lie to me?WTF Dumas you fat nigger hack you made Dantes into big pussy!

He decided that killing them really was going too far. He learned his lesson with the Villefort family.
Completely ruining Danglars' fortune, marriage, affair, and reputation was enough for him.

Did you miss his entire point during the execution scene? Death is far too quick. He wants them to lose everything they have.

Making Danglars piss poor and destroying any chance for him to rise again is a fate worse than death for a greedy bastard like him.

I'd say Danglars got it worst if it wasn't for Villefort being literally mindbroken after the savage dicking he recieved.

Mondego got off easy, considering how much of a cunt he was in the past.

Attached: 1484029645522.jpg (658x713, 107K)

>a fucking evil ghost demon made him do it
I like the show but this was cringe

I'll put it this way, there are a lot of plot elements, even minor ones that are ifn the show, that never even make it on to films. It's clear the creators read the complete novel, and appreciated the work

>>a fucking evil ghost demon made him do it
No it didn't.

Monte Cristo is one of the most loved high school recommended reads

yes it did, its been years since Ive seen the show but he was possessed by an evil space demon thingy

I used to rewatch this series every year for 5 years straight.
Maybe I should do that again.

No, the demon didn't make him do it. In the book, Edmond had become a monster of a person who went by "The Count". In the anime, they just wanted to have a more literal interpretation of Edmond becoming a monster of revenge, by having him actually be possessed by an evil space demon.
But, make no mistake, the revenge came from Edmond, and not the demon. He returns to being human at the end once he lets go of revenge, because he no longer needs Gankutsuou.

It's by far the best adaptation of the novel but it's not like there have been many decent adaptations of it. At any rate the anime is beautiful and intense.

>It's clear the creators read the complete novel, and appreciated the work

Gee, that sounds great, looking forward to tha

>hey just wanted to have a more literal interpretation of Edmond becoming a monster of revenge, by having him actually be possessed by an evil space demon
>having him actually be possessed by an evil space demon
>evil space demon

Nippon why

Attached: 1541595375042.png (449x442, 197K)

i don't think so, the adaptation with depardieu is the most faithful afaik.

Because the first nip translation of the book was a pirate translation (basically the equivalent of today's shitty translations) that renamed the book to "Gankutsuou (King of the Cavern)" and they wanted to do a homage to that by making Gankutsuou an actual thing

Sounds like you need a rewatch

They monkey paw’d 7seeds, I can’t forgive them for that.

Kind of weird how Villefort was a far worse person in the anime and had less bad things happen compared to the book, where he seemed ok but got completely wrecked by the count.

>when an anime adaptation made by Japanese is more faithful tone wise than countless high budget movies
The show also had some fantastic art direction.

Attached: g.jpg (1280x720, 383K)

It's one of those anime that I wish would have come out later, so that it could have been made in HD

Attached: Gankutsuou - 12.mkv_snapshot_16.54_[2010.04.17_02.36.32].jpg (704x480, 47K)

The movies are still better, even when they get so much wrong. Gankutsuou has too much anime nonsense.

I always thought Haydee was going to fuck Albert when he visited her as a member of the embassy.

Gankutsuou aired 15 years ago

Attached: 55288210_p0.jpg (1000x707, 389K)

>Romeo x Juliet
THAT IS LITERAL SHIT

After Gankutsuou it was such a disappointment, but it was also really bad as an anime in general.

>requested the OP on r/a/dio
>someone else picked the ED
hehe

Everyone imitates Shaft and Lucky Star, but why has no one imitated Gankutsuou?

Attached: 47258698_p0_master1200.jpg (875x875, 344K)

Because it would actually take effort.

Attached: 47275324_p0_master1200.jpg (630x700, 227K)

Attached: 47232663_p3_master1200.jpg (630x700, 133K)

It didn't make money

>Status: filtered
Sorry you are a pleb with a smooth brain

>hasn’t read source material
>too low iq to understand the nuisance
Lmao at u

>This and Deltora Quest got an anime.
What other books will be made into anime?
Eragon?

>tfw FGO decided to use a younger Hopeman Count specifically because they didn't think they could do a more perfect older Count than Gonzo
KUAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 275723a221a562923fb14ef082a515c1.png (1019x1220, 1.13M)

I await the day Anna Karenina gets an anime adaptation that takes place in Japan.

I thought that was a nice touch.

Attached: double dantes.jpg (1035x1000, 190K)

youtube.com/watch?v=dcnWAzwEd6o
Still can hear it in my head.

But wasn't the Count described in the book as looking deceptively young anyway? At one point someone mistakes him for being of the post-Restoration generation and too young to remember the Revolution or the Napoleonic wars.

>the Count described in the book as looking deceptively young anyway?
IIRC it was other way around, he looked older than he was because of the stress and imprisonment.

Ignoring the sci-fi elements, this adaption completely cut out a major character (Abbé Faria) and replaced them with a vengeful crystal alien with space AIDS. You can't really do justice to Edmond's character development if you cut the person that influenced him the most, the mentor who turned him from a naive boy to an educated man.

I remember that he's typically described as handsome and unnaturally pale, I think a few times he's compared to a vampire, but I don't remember that characters discussed his apparent age. I remember that at one point he finds his way in total darkness and another character is surprised at how well he can see, it's a nice touch.

I'm not sure if I'm overanalyzing it but I like how the anime adaptation compared to the novel seems influenced by the differing Japanese worldview. The novel was heavily steeped in Christian themes with Dantes seeing himself as the agent of God's punishment but eventually finding redemption in forgiveness. the man has "the Mountain of Christ" as his territory, raises the dead, and then the characters being told to "wait and hope" for his return is a reference to Christ's Second Coming. Caderousse refuses to believe in Jesus until Dantes reveals himself to him, then he gives up his soul to God on his deathbed. Overall it's very much a Christian revenge tale.
The anime has none of this, it's entirely bereft of Christianity. Although the themes of revenge versus forgiveness are still there, they've been divorced from any religious connotations. What the anime seems to emphasize more instead is the rottenness and grudges of the first generation (the Count, Albert's parents, the Danglars, the Villeforts) and how all their inhumane schemes affect the second generation (Albert, Franz, Eugenie, Haydee, Maximillien, Valentine), who are much more hopeful and believing in love and understanding, but whose lives are as a whole screwed over by their parents' fuckups.

No was! They made everyone was older. They left Out Villefort's son, and reduced Haydee's role for some random widdow the Count pumps and dumps. Then he ends up with Mercedes. While I like the Adaption, those are definitely some major flaws.

That's too ambitious

>understanding
That's Japan for you.

Monte Cristo was literally the weekly anime of the days before animation

Ive only seen the Guy Pierce movie but that shit was live action anime nonsense

I like how anime-y the original novel is too. Like Beppo is literally a trap and Haydee's hair is blue

Checked the novel and found a few references to the Count looking unusually young, appearing in his thirties when he's at least in his mid-forties. Note that Mercedes complains that this estimate is definitely wrong because she already knew who he was.

Attached: Untitled.png (1172x1016, 118K)

Edmond/The Count is basically a bishie straight from a shoujo manga. Handsome, mysterious, rich, vampire appearance, with a dark wounded soul.

the 2002 movie wasn't good in the least. it was americanized to fuck complete with shock value in your face ending.

>How well does this Chinese cartoon adapt a French novel?

it's quite frankly the best adaption of the novel on any medium. it has it's own unique spin but at it's core it is the best retelling of count of monte cristo outside of the novel.

don't knock it until you've seen it. it's an incredible take and works well with the space setting. telling from a different POV also works great as well.

Moribito was based on a series of YA novels (non-light novels). Scholastic was releasing the English translations for a while but I don't think they sold well.

The book had a huge amount of political context that isn't in the anime because of the changed setting. Like how being accused of being a Napoleonist while Napoleon was an exile was a form of brutal character assassination.

Seems right. Edmond Dantes entered jail at 19, he spent 14 years in jail and came out at 33. He secures the treasure and then spends a decade plotting his vengeance, appearing 10 years later to save Albert from bandits. He should be 43 when they mistake him for 35. Apparently the count invented for himself a new identity where all the dates match his new age of 35. Obviously taking drugs instead of eating meals helps to stay young and healthy.

Attached: timeline.jpg (1129x744, 156K)

Cutting off the political background of the story has the unfortunate consequence of removing one of the great injustice/bullshit to happen to Edmond Dantes. Napoléon did return to power while Edmond was in prison, for a short period of time called the Hundred Days. During that short period Edmond should have been busted from jail and declared a hero, but Villefort managed to cockblock the appeal and bury the whole thing.

>be fake Bonapartist
>emperor returns
>become hero
>waterloo ensues
iwasonlypretending.jpg

I was absolutely seething during that part of the book.

Why did the Japanese translation call Edmond the "King of the Cavern"? He wasn't a king, he was just a Count

THey could make a 50 episode anime called Anna Katsuragi:

When the married Anna visits Kanagawa from Tokyo in order to deal with her otouto's (Osamu) failing relationship, she ends up falling in love with Ayato, one of his friend's a third year at the prestigious HS, and who has the same name as her husband. At the same time, Osamu's childhood friend, Reiji comes to visit from the countryside in order to express his feelings to Kotomi, the love of his life.

Another user already explained it. It's quite interesting.

It was directed by the guy who made Waterworld, so that makes sense. But it's a different kind of stupid. In the end, I prefer 2 hours of shit to 9 hours of faithful vomit.

I enjoyed the show but the CGI and the insertion of anime tropes really reduce the value

the fuck are you on?

Yeah that post only says that the Japanese book retitled it, it doesn't say why the translator thought it would be a good idea.

>and then studio Gonzo died, the end.

You’re an idiot with shit taste.

Why?