Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Do you think the whole story will ever be adapted into a series or movie franchise one day? The Studio Ghibli movie only covers the first quarter of the story.

Attached: 91qemPh7e9L.jpg (1217x1724, 522K)

And I should add, the movie pales in comparison to the rest of the story in the manga, especially in terms of character development. She ends up having an existential crisis trying to live up to the messianic prophecy she's lumbered with and is forced to develop into a much more pragmatic ruler than the wide-eyed idealist she is to start with.

Massively underrated character

Attached: Nausicaa3.jpg (800x523, 276K)

Seriously, how come Miyazaki's best work flies under the radar compared to the movies he's made with Ghibli? The plot of the manga is fantastic and has the most satisfying end to a fantasy saga I've read since Tolkien. With so many big franchises these days flopping at the third act and Ghilbi's uncertain future I'm surprised they haven't tried to capitalise more on what is a ready-made classic of the genre. Maybe Miyazaki is reticent to let anyone mess with his creations, which in the current era of live-action Hollywood adaptations and remakes may be for the best... the Mortal Engines deserved so, so much better than it got... but I thought he previously expressed an interest in Anno directing any future adaptation of Nausicaä (ages ago).

I'd watch that

Attached: Nausicaa5.jpg (982x1381, 379K)

I'm surprised Hollywood isn't on it already, with her being such an animalist-ecologist-feminist Mary Sue.

I like the doujin where she goes into the forest to collect bug semen

She's not a Mary Sue in the manga. Exactly why I hope it gets a proper, good-quality adaptation some day. The movie is a nice fun kid's film but lacks the emotional depth or moral complexity of the manga. Miyazaki actually introduces some pretty original and fucked-up bio-gore science fiction concepts in the manga.

First, I don't think it will. It's a shame, since the manga is so much better, but since Miyazaki wrote the manga supposedly to seek funding for making the film, I think it's likely the "definitive" adaptation.
Secondary question, why does the film make her pants flesh-toned? Half the flying scenes make it look like her ass is just hanging in the wind. Weird choice, Ghibli.

I figure this is the case. I could have sworn I saw a video of a panel interview about 5-10 years ago where Miyazaki specifically mentioned without prompting he'd like to see the manga adapted, but only trusted Anno to touch it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere and given Anno's reputation re: productivity I doubt it'd see the light of day even if the endorsement was made official. Shame because it could easily be Asia's equivalent to Lord Of The Rings and have a similar degree of cultural permanence to Evangelion if it was done right, imo.

>Half the flying scenes make it look like her ass is just hanging in the wind.

You just answered your own question.

Why is Spirited Away rated a 12 in the UK but Princess Mononoke is rated PG?

I didn't think she was anything special (in the manga).

Think after Miyazaki dies Anno will adapt the rest of the manga

I'd be surprised if Anno makes another project of critical or commercial note after Evangelion Final, especially another big animated project. Maybe more passion projects like Shin Godzilla but I think after what the process of making the original NGE series was like for him psychologically and the few years before he's done taking his art particularly seriously, in stark contrast to Miyazaki's austere outlook (or Takahata even moreso).

Never ever.

I'd be surprised if Anno makes another project of critical or commercial note after Evangelion Final, especially another big animated project. Maybe more passion projects like Shin Godzilla but I think after what the process of making the original NGE series was like for him psychologically and the few years before he's done taking his art particularly seriously, in stark contrast to Miyazaki's austere outlook (or Takahata even moreso).

Sadly I think Miyazaki has to die first.
It seems to me that Nausicaä is too gritty to be associated with the kid friendly image he has today.
So I’m guessing Hayao is very much against a full adaption.

Shame, I have and probably always will consider Nausicaä one of the top works of fictionof all time.

Same. I'm curious if his will is going to include a moratorium on future adaptations, spin-offs etc. of his properties to avoid them being sold off by his estate to Disney and then bastardised to hell etc. given the Warriors Of The Wind incident, which was itself around Nausicaa.

Well, who can blame him?
I would prefer no adaption over an atrocious hollywood remake.
As I said, it’s a shame. I think Anno in his prime would have made a fantastic adaption.

No

sounds made for netflix

Autism.

Agreed

surely if it was autism they'd be obsessed with their rules being consistent?

Both anime and manga are por stories with bs characters.

Plotfag detected

Needs to be made into a game.

The film is relatively weak on character and plot, but it still has some fantastic worldbuilding and exciting, kinetic airborne combat sequences etc. that make it a nice adventure film for kids. The manga is strong on both and is one of my favourite interpretations of the fallout of a young protagonist being saddled with the absurd responsibility of being a saviour figure to the adults around them.

Thematically it hits home for me big time. The manga makes a lot more sense to me if you read it as a spiritual essay of sorts by a 20th-century creator brought up in the post-war boom coming to terms with a globalised, unstable society that is increasingly pre-occupied with its own imminent doom. And to top it all off Nausicaä basically becomes the 20th century modernist artist figure incarnate at the end by effectively killing God. "Fuck you for landing us in this situation, I'll find my own way from here" is basically the battle cry of every generation since the Second World War. It's essentially Miyazaki's take on existentialism under the spectre of a spiritual bereavement in the wake of scientific enlightenment coupled with the more imminent existential threat of environmental collapse, and probably the closest thing we have to a true autobiography by Miyazaki. That's the reason why I like it as a work of literature most of all. It encapsulates all the man's love of humanity and his cynicism at its uncertain state in one swoop without contradicting itself, and that element works much better as a continuous emotional arc in the manga than the character development in most of his movies.

Looks dumb.

>It encapsulates all the man's love of humanity
This is gay as hell.

He’s right tho

Attached: image.jpg (488x549, 114K)

I'm not saying he's wrong or that Nausicaa is bad. All I'm saying is that sentiment is really fucking gay.

Post more of Nausicaa's big boobs