It must be asked

Are VNs a game?

Attached: best girl 14.png (504x288, 184K)

Kinetic Novels, no. VNs with choices or other gameplay features, maybe.

Eh, there are things that can be done in a VN you cant really pull off in a book or anime. But they arent games.

Well no shit, if you know pic related YOU KNOW I MEANT CHOICES!
>Just realizing anons posting on here might actually of been born before the VN came out
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: best girl 22.jpg (296x480, 25K)

You play VNs.

Attached: 1546296451623.png (500x720, 215K)

What a bad temper
And nah I was 16 when Clannad was first released

Okay I just play Clannad and tomoyo's after repeatly, have probably played it 200+ times by now.

I have a problem, I need more clannad.

Attached: best girl.gif (500x255, 859K)

No. Otherwise, it means those choose your own adventure books were games too.

Jesus Christ, I wish I cared about something enough to read it 200 times

Have you read the fanmade Visual Novel that's about the romance between Tomoya's parents back in 1985? It's great, and shows off a version of Tomoya's father that isn't an emotionally vacant burnout.

Dunno, can Light Novels be considered proper novels?

good question, depends on how you define novel i guess.

Never really cared much about that aspect of it, Was really more of a tomoyo/Kotomi fan, You have to understand I didn't just play/read the entire thing 200 times, I just played/read the Tomoyo/Kotomi routes 200 times. Playing the VN made it feel like I was in tomoya's spot. But kotomi REALLY deserved Tomoya more, Tomoyo is just best girl. Weird how the 2 of them both have themes based around waiting for tomoya to remember them. (especially tomoyo after.)

In other words I'm insane and lonely, normal Yea Forums stuff.

Attached: best girl 24.png (736x410, 99K)

Both are the works of fiction so it's naturally to assume VNs are video games because they require interaction.

Attached: waste paper.jpg (960x544, 99K)

Attached: light novels defined.png (1050x618, 89K)

Nyes.
It's a gray area, but I'd place them as games.

I don't fully understand where the line between light novel and novel is in the first place. It's not like LNs are particularly short. I just assume it's how japan markets young adult stuff under certain genres

These days people call a lot of things "VN" that clearly have gameplay.
Like, originally "visual novel" was used to distinguish something like Clannad from simulation games like Tokimeki Memorial. But now people call Tokimeki Memorial a VN, too.

They're interactive software at the very least.

All games lie on a spectrum between the developer's experience and the player's experience. VNs are just heavily on the side of the developer's experience.

Slightly to the side of VNs you have adventure games. It's hard to determine where something is anyways. I would definitely call things like Ace Attorney, 999, Snatcher, and things like that games.

What makes stuff like Ace Attorney actually a game and not just a VN is how it has puzzles and shit in it. At most a VN has complicated choice branching, but it's still never really different from some sort of choose your own adventure Goosebumps story, and the digital medium is really more for the benefit of characters and scenes having pictures to go with them. It's not an issue I feel particularly strong about, as what makes anything a "game" is a pretty thin line in the first place, but they really do just seem like stories that happen to be software more than anything to me

Japan says yes, so yes.

I think a video game is anything that requires some sort of interaction. Text based games from back in the day were considered video games.

It's a publishing label but the most telling description of LNs in my view is a sort of manga/anime book, made by people that were inspired by manga/anime for people that like manga/anime. The rest is right there in the word light, as in easily digestible. LNs are in general shorter, have pictures, use simpler language, tackle subjects with less nuance and are made to be serialized.

What about pic related

Attached: DWryN0GVwAEil3-.jpg (1200x791, 275K)

Light Novels are pretty much just Japanese YA novels, so yes, they're still novels.