What the FUCK went wrong?

What the FUCK went wrong?

Attached: megalobox.jpg (1200x1024, 982K)

Just the ending.
A good example of a decent anime blowing it all over at the very last moment.

No balls to do it

I wanted it to be about mech boxing. Then it became about "true boxing"

like fuck off this series went down hill when Joe didn't want to box with any gear.

First post nails it.

Everything was 10/10, music, art, voices, designs, etc. Then fucking the ending is just a jumpskip? FUCK THAT

Joe had zero character. Mech boxing was underutilized and even downplayed by Joe tanking hits that should shatter his bones. Ending was dogshit. Downscaled resolution in an effort to emulate old anime is pants-on-head retarded and completely indefensible.

It was AnJ for muh cowboy bobop retards

-400p hardlocked resolution
-virtually no worthwhile animation and unengaging fights and combat choreography
-terribly generic character cast and narrative development
-underutilization of the setting, and that's still being generous
-battle-shounenshit MC
-terrible ending

>Ashita no Joe is apparently a big cultural icon in Japan
>no company was willing to shell out the money to make what should've been a modern retelling of Joe with the appropriate pace and length
>especially for it's 50th anniversary
what the fuck indeed

Attached: 1550958451326.png (275x369, 8K)

Instead of being a subtle tribute it actually tried to copy Ashita no Joe entitely - a re-skin, so to say. That was a bad move because you lose all the nuance when truncating a 70ish episode long anime into a single cour.

>show about an underdog boxer
>circumstances keep lining up that Nerf his opponents to his level

Yuri taking off his gear to fight Joe and only losing because of the surgery pain is the exact place the ending went wrong.

It looked cool but was boring

>like fuck off this series went down hill when Joe didn't want to box with any gear.
I was also disappointed at that. Made sense when it was about raising his profile to get invited to the tournament, but once he was in, it became a little silly.

So were the peeps who watched it on Toonami felt duped as you?

doubt it
they probably love the shit out of it and are still singing its praises

I remember when Megalo Box came out and everyone was saying how HYPE and RAW it was
and then you realize 90% of the people who watched it only watched the first 3 episodes

that's Yea Forums for ya!

The same thing it happens to mismarketed anime
>hype as a cyberpunk anime about mech-boxing
>just kidding its about a non mech-boxer fighting mech-boxers
>just kidding he can BTFO mech-boxers, it was about how to fight tricky mech-boxers
>just kidding it wasn't about mech-boxers at all it was about how being a man means you need to be prideful
>just kidding it was about yamato damashi and oxygen all along

It was great all throughout, loved the ending.

I also heard Junk dog and Yuri didn’t even fight in the last episode

All that build up for nothing?

Mafia arc was the highlight of the show.
Worst parts are the actual boxing fights themselves. It’s just Joe getting the piss beaten out of him for 99% of the match until he inexplicably gets a critical hit punch and wins.

This shit was so boring and so cliche that I can't believe it has a following on the level of champloo

So stylish, and yet, nothing really happened
The first half made sense, but the whole final four onwards was asspulls and predictable rhythm and hsounen tropes.
I'd like to see more anime with this style and aesthetic - beats generic LN-adaptation style any day, just without feeling so gimped in its action and forced in its plot.
They repeatedly say "Joe will die!" when he eats a big punch, and he's covered in scars, but we rarely see a cut and certainly don't see people breaking their arms or shattering their wrists like they would IRL.
And the plot's destination was shown, we were pretty much told "Joe will always win", and so there wasn't really any tension to the fights or the drama.

We need a proper seinen MegaloBox adaptation. Show people breaking themselves on overclocked rigs, mechanics burning their fingers on hot hydraulics, corporate spies getting whacked for stealing tech specs, people covering up their steroid use and trading pissjars. And have more characters than just the four that MB had - I like focus, but this was just too narrow (no, children aren't characters)

I don't even remember how it ended.

But the ending was great.

Everything after ep3 was shit. It just got worse as it went on.

>I also heard Junk dog and Yuri didn’t even fight in the last episode
They do fight, for like 15 minutes straight, it just ends with them cross-countering it each other and cuts away before showing a winner, not revealing who actually won until the last shot of the show.

style over substance

it was decent

Attached: 1492231682740.jpg (724x685, 258K)

not being a Joe remastered

nothing I liked it

Your mental development if all you can muster is the f word.

I loved it, but as for what went wrong

>Shitty jump cut ending not even finishing the final fight
>Joe not using gear for most of the show. All they had to do is make the kid a mechanic instead of a subsidiary coach and you could've had some cool moments with the gear he's using. Ex. Justifying the name Junk Dog more because he tailors the gear he uses to each specific opponent (modular gear) rather than using one specific model like all the others, relying on junk/passed down parts to piece his gear together

Nothing

Nothing,it was alright