Just finished Utena. What a load of dog shit

Just finished Utena. What a load of dog shit.

Attached: firefox_2019-06-08_12-23-51.jpg (1220x733, 238K)

wtf i hate utena now

did you have to watch it to find out? user...

Attached: 1535586181905.jpg (760x1200, 854K)

What did I think of it?

>ehehe i did it i took something other people liked and said it was bad

Attached: 1538570927646.png (600x600, 179K)

Nah, I just finished it and I legitimately think it's terrible.

People have different opinions user

What's terrible about it?

It is. I'm shocked you sat through the whole thing you poor fuck.

that white rose is a direct reference to the Rose of Versailles
i know the entire series is, but that rose is like a subtle meme

I didn't think it was bad really but it was pretty mediocre. It's a shame too since I did like the characters and the art.

Attached: utena smug.jpg (720x480, 125K)

It’s the only good thing Ikuhara ever did

What a sad life he must live. Even worse than Anno, who at least made something good once.

>mediocre
I'm sure that's not the right word. Probably most of the important themes went over your head.

>Y-you just didn't understand it!

>bumping a shitty, unproductive thread

I'm sure you can explain the main themes and how every arc falls into the whole show without looking like an idiot, right?

I'm sure you can too.

sarazanmai is good too user

What's up with the brainlets watching Utena for the first time lately?

Attached: nanami_1.jpg (190x160, 13K)

I'm sure you are aware that in every chapter there is a cock in disguise.

Penguindrum is even better user. What didnt you like about it?

Think a certain youtuber put out a video about it recently.

Who? I wanna seed how terrible it is.

Pleb filter is working.

Today OP was a faggot.

Attached: Come here anon.jpg (960x720, 310K)

Digibro.

What can we do for our retarded plotfag friends, Utenabros?

Attached: Plotfags.jpg (2000x2000, 2.05M)

Imagine that you've been riding a bicycle in a middle of a night away from your home and got yourself some kind of a break, for example, you got a flat tire and no spare one.
You try to make your way home on foot, but then, a car stops by - a red Corvette lookalike with Akio behind the wheel. He offers you a lift home, but you're free to refuse.
Would you agree? And what if it seems like it's going to rain?

Attached: Shoujo Kakumei Utena_33.mkv_snapshot_07.50_[2018.10.22_14.13.56].jpg (1440x1080, 150K)

I would take the ride and refuse any further advances... It was totally consensual with Utena and I feel he totally wouldn't have gone as far as use violance if she didn't fall for it, but she wanted it.

>It was totally consensual with Utena and
BUT MUH STATUORY

Hey, they say that's Statuory, I say that's Mandatory.

>missing the point this hard

Attached: Shoujo_Kakumei_Utena_08.mkv_snapshot_16.38_2018.03.22_11.16.38.jpg (1193x895, 136K)

It has nice aesthetics used to tell a tale well. Which is actually more important than having a good story to be fair since it's an audio-visual medium more than anything else. Having a good story isn't completely irrelevant though and Utena fails at that, with Ikuhara somehow managing to fail at delivering every intended theme convincingly (though it still has that unintentionally goofy appeal you always get with senile Japs desperately trying to be controversial and contrarian that makes it not boring). Anthy and Akio are the only characters worth a damn at all, as far as I can tell this actually is the general consensus on the cast too but usually dressed up in a less derogatory way.

Basically an interesting product for it's time and not much more than that. Lots of worse series than it around that get praised plenty too so hating on it feels sorta unwarranted all things considered.

>tfw no Anthy in a nightgown

Utena's characters are great and I'm pretty sure the concensus is that only a couple of characters aren't fleshed out enough. Utena isn't a show about plot it's about exploring its themes which I think it does extremely well and there has never been a show quite like it before or since. What about the themes did you not think came across well?

Should've said cowshit

Utena is neo-marxist LGBT propaganda and everybody who worked on it should be blacklisted.

thank you for your insightful analysis on why you disliked it, then

>It was totally consensual with Utena

Attached: 90587597.jpg (893x666, 79K)

So you watched almost 50 episodes to reach that conclusion? No wonder why your taste is so horrible.

Not to have this debate for the billionth time, but thematically, the scene necessitates at least a willingness from Utena to engage in the seduction. She is shown doing her stretching tic several times during the episode, revealing that despite her child-like behavior, she is aware of the implications of the situation and seems to some times welcome it, going as far as to turn to face Akio in bed after the lights were off. Call me crazy, but I honestly believe that if she had just turned to her side of the bed and started snoring, he wouldn't have done anything besides seeth hard.

Plus, the scene serves triple meaning by being Utena's metaphorical, literal and ideological "fall from grace".
In this scene, we see Utena be "soiled" by losing her maidenhead, the show dismisses this and it's basically just to "trick" certain audiences.
She also falls because of the context behind said action, she is losing her virginity with a man she knows has a fianceé and and if her bff's brother, which represents a totally selfish act that goes against her own stated morals.
Even further, we see Utena start to slip from here stated mission (finding her prince and being a price herself) since now that she knows Akio, maybe she has found something she likes more than "playing Prince", therefor, she can pursue other thing, perhaps more "womanly" endevours. This is in contrast to when Utena loses her duel with Touga and is basically compelled to dress like a normal girl, Akio fuels her interests until he can replace them, making her dress more girly (which we can see several times during the arc) without even having to say anything.

It's a great scene, really.
We also she Utena's O face, wihich is pretty nice.

When I first watched it back in the late 90s, I thought it was the greatest thing ever.
Now I see it as ambitious, with some nicely executed ideas, but not particularly great. Above average at best.
What's the opposite of nostalgia?

Attached: 75645333.png (527x385, 318K)

one of the most uncomfortable scenes I've ever wtached, with the "almost rape" on Rose of Versailles

You talkin bout when Andre pushed himself on Oscar?

I like quite a few things on here but still don't really like Utena.

yeah, I had the same sensation on both scenes

Although obviously not a perfect recreation of the series, I actually find the movie has a lot of things going for it over TV. Since you've already sunk so much time into the series already, you may as well try the movie

USSO USSO ~

Attached: 1559963058662.png (688x657, 18K)