If manga really is this cheap what valid reasons could scanalators have for relying on donations to translate manga?

If manga really is this cheap what valid reasons could scanalators have for relying on donations to translate manga?

Attached: Cheap as dirt.png (1396x228, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-04-13/ghibli-co-founder-toshio-suzuki-discusses-why-studio-did-not-seek-growth/.145563
youtube.com/watch?v=8IrktBX7GNg
youtube.com/watch?v=isuMSuihN7o
youtube.com/watch?v=LH-i8IvYIcg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

making the big money sweetie

Those who claim it's for server costs while not wanting it available elsewhere also makes that obvious.

5 dollars is a big deal in most asian countries. Also, lol at buying physical manga in this day and age. Get it digital and stop paying triple for shipping, you dumb shitters.

They're asking money for their effort. They spend a lot of hours translating a chapter. Hours they could have spent working part-time.

They need to stop using low quality digital versions for some of them.

time is money.
If something takes time, you can bet it's worth money.

Scanlators are assholes. They should do everything for free.

I NEED THE MONEY FOR MY ILL RIDDEN MOMMY! AND TO PAY MY GRS!!! fucking bigot im gonna drop everything now, learn moon or good luck

You can rip higher res versions than their own fucking scans if you aren't a complete pleb

I meant the digital raw sources that aren't high enough quality when purchased. I remember some even reducing the available resolution over time.

Money, of course.

As far as I know, they buy magazines, not manga

Why don't they work part-time instead of begging on the internet?

And I spend days, sometimes months making maps for Doom (and unlike scanalating it's legal by the way). Should I be begging for donations?

Attached: 20190502_021432.png (825x711, 565K)

Donations are donations. Open up a pat and let people do their thing. As long as you don't pay wall it.

>shill EOPs to buy japanese books
great just what I wanted.

Who ever say they needed valid reasons?

Not allowing donations leads to paywalling kikery, like every fucking artist on pixiv does now.
Donations and commissions should be left alone, if someone feels like paying, why the fuck not.

Some scanlator's mother has been dying for how many years now?

There are some autistic scanlators who insist on using magazine raws instead of waiting for the volumes, and in that case it works out to like 15 dollars a chapter.

>dude $14 aren't a lot!
Then why do you pirate?

Time and effort I guess

Why don't you learn Japanese instead of begging for chapters?

Nobody is forcing you to donate

I'm not forcing the scanlators to release chapters.
Scanlator groups think that they should deserve respect and monetary gain for doing a service that no one asked for.

To be fair, there's already a certain faggot who does that, although everyone who's been in the Doom community long enough (at least those who were around for the KDiZD bullshit) knows he's a hack and a douche.

Attached: Tormentorcockandballtorture.png (774x782, 1.07M)

By all means you're on your right, if people want to donate is different however as what you do anyone else can, no offense of course, just saying you're irrelevant

And nobody is forcing you to donate either.

At least since scanlations became a thing.

They need to care for their sick mothers.

It's even less legal than doing it for free. If people have money to spend on the manga, they should either be giving spending it to buy the raws or not spending anything at all.

>time and effort
What I don't get is why some scanlators claim a team of 4 work 3 months per chapter, when some individuals release multiple chapters per day with almost the same quality. Do they just work slow as fuck, or do they spend days messing with small details no one will ever notice? Best part is when these groups get mad when someone snipes their 4 months in progress chapter and becomes ass blasted about all the wastes effort.

I get if your new to it you'll take longer, but usually a novice doesn't ask for more money because it takes him longer than an expert.

>Why do people like money
Gee, dunno

Your post is a fucking mess there so it's hard to figure out what you're saying. It sounds like you're trying to say that not everyone can do scanalation while anyone can do Doom mapping which simply isn't true. Reading kanji isn't some mystical power that you have to be born with to accomplish, it just requires a lot of studying and practice. Likewise, modding for Doom requires considerable amounts of practice and studying as well, especially if you want to master some of the features of the more advanced source ports like Gzdoom and Zdoom in which case you're going to want to learn DECORATE, mapinfo, and ACS scripting.

Completely unrelated to what he said.

Nice reading comprehension, faggot.

By all means...

Is his mother really ill?

No, people can spend their money on whatever they want, I can't read jap and won't learn such an useless language these TLs are providing a service I appreciate, I'll donate more to them just to spite you today.
No, doom mapping is easy as fuck and a worthless endeavor, learning a different language not so much, given moonspeak is somewhat worthless too.
Re-read what he said, Second part is only projecting however so I didn't reply to that.

Just pray these glorious one man teams will translate all the shit you are into then. It's not a charity, man.

That sperg seems to think there's no demand for translated chapters. In what world that's true? You EOP NEETs sure like to talk big then groups die, you can't read nip for shit and come here complain how no one picked X because it's too niche or how official scanlations are hard to find.

I remember reading in another thread that his mother's "illness" is actually just hypochondria. So no.

Why is it an useless language?

>given moonspeak is somewhat worthless too
It's very useful as you can see here. Now fuck off.

Yea Forums just doesn't understand how expensive scanlation actually is. Let me break it down for you a bit just on the hardware level.

>HP Z8 G4 Workstation: 4 666,95 €
>OMEN X Emperium Gaming Display, 163,8 cm: 4 299,01 €
>Adobe Photoshop: 29.99 bucks each month
>MAXNOMIC NEEDforSEAT XL gaming chair: 549,00 €
>Sennheiser IE 500 PRO: 599,00 €
>HP DesignJet T2530 - 914 mm: 13 090,00 €

That's not even keyboard and mouse. Also keep in mind that all of that has to be bought for every member of the team so that they can fill in just in case someone gets sick. In addition to all that you also have rent, internet, food, medical bills, fuel for the car, the paychecks for your team and much more. I think Yea Forums should think a bit more before they start judging people who spent all their time scanlating for them.

>No, doom mapping is easy as fuck
Have you even tried mapping for Doom?

>5 dollars is a big deal in most asian countries.
you mean Cambodia
5 dollars means shit anywhere that isn't poverty central

for my 15 years sick mom duh

>It's not a charity, man.
Weird, whiny scanlators seem to think it is though

This.

You do it only when you want to. Scanlators have to keep consistent releases that are pushed out as fast as possible. It's also a collaboration between several people. Sometimes it also requires equipment like scanners. If scanlators only did what they felt like when the felt like it, then they would only translate/typeset a random page or two every month or so instead of meticulously localizing hundreds of pages a month. Also, your stupid Doom maps don't take even half of the skill and effort.

I'm guessing at the very least you need a $250 Razer mouse for scanalating?

Only spoken in a very isolated part of the world, that's irrelevant besides for their Manga, or LNs. A culture that started after burgers nuked the masculinity out of them.
Of course user, you think I would lie on a chinese picture forum?

The typical reader has no idea how much effort goes into scanlation protip: it's a lot more than what goes into fansubbing

Attached: Magetsukan Kitan v4ch37.jpg (728x1075, 157K)

And yet you are on Yea Forums, begging for your everyday dose of anime/manga drug, a culture that spreading worldwide and which would be out of your reach without said translator. How sad it is to be so wrong.
Go back to being American somewhere else.

No one is forcing them to put so much effort in it, so they should stop asking for compensation.

The one doing Shuumatsu no Valkyrie is also non-stop begging for donation and patreon shit while being very slow for no reason. they just want money, man.

If you scanned and cleaned (oriented and adjusted levels) a tankoubon at minimum wage it would be several times the price of the tank and shipping because that shit takes hours.

>besides for their Manga, or LNs.
so... very relevant? if otaku media isn't your hobby, why the fuck are you here? fuck off.

Okay. Let's have everyone just drop their scanlation projects. Now what? Do you think scanlation is fucking fun or something?

You're projecting again, I'm not begging for anything, you told me about reading comprehension, I guess that was projecting too given you lack it. I support translators because they offer a service that I can't do. I'm not american either, you really are retarded aren't you?

You also need Cleankeys washable glass keyboards and mice in case you ate doritos before work.

translators for some reason are almost always entitled scum
I know few translators but reading the "translators messages" at the end of doujins has given me a negative opinion of them.

>think they deserve to be paid equally to artists who spends 100s of hours of work on a manga for their shitty translations
>think theyre funny enough to add in their own jokes or remove old ones
>almost always spam their name everywhere to let everyone knows they did it (even here they tripfag)
>build literal blogs and personas like an artist would except they dont have any skills besides low effort translations

its a relatively low effort low skill thing to do, but not enough people bother with it and even if they do they have to get accepted to the big name sites

Attached: 1546976229520.png (298x390, 157K)

It is my hobby, does that mean I can't be objective and call it for what it is? irrelevant, niche, odd. I have other hobbies too of course

>Donations
Buy official translations
Demand for translators and staff increase
user-kun can now get an actual job translating
It's called capitalism son, don't let the commies win!

(but seriously, donations go to charity, not user's gatcha addiction)

>give us money for pirating intellectual property, modifying it and then releasing it for free without permission from the rights holder

You're basically paying people to commit piracy, which in turn makes you complicit in the crime. It's one thing if everyone does it for free, but adding donation/commission/ad revenue into the mix means you're reselling stolen goods for a profit.

That's why doing it for free is the only ethical way to pirate, because then you can at least say you're volunteering to expand the fandom and advertise a product for which all actual revenue from ads and sales will go to the proper parties.

Honestly, for profit scanlations are the stupidest shit ever. Regardless, the ad infested stream/torrent aggregator chinks will always be the true winners no matter what happens.

So long as they're free to take in the dough from their little Oriental huts without having to fear the western copyright gestapo, there'll never be a way for our own media pirates to ever compete with and win against foreign competitors. Fucking government regulations and artificial atate-sanctioned monopolies are once again the reason pirates are e-bwggars instead of being able to find alternative avenues for monetization, and once again /pol/ was right about how big government worsens things for all of us.

These filthy JOPs can't possibly comprehend the skill necessary to convey the intricate meanings of Superman comics and they DARE to complain about me wanting compensation for it. Fucking entitled fucks I swear

Shut the fuck up retard.

>everyone
Some groups do it for fun, passion, as a way to practice japanese and/or to make more content from the franchise they love available to people who don't know runes, they'll keep translating stuff for free even if the beggar groups quit.
Also, the ones that do it for fun or passion are the ones that translate the highest quality manga. I wouldn't mind if all those shitty romcom/isekai/battleshonen scanlators suddenly disappear.

Yes I am do you have a problem with that?

You are ACTUALLY reading stuff that needs to be translated and you are on Yea Forums, which automatically puts you into the "drugged up weebs" category by definition (why else would you be arguing here?).
>I support translators
So basically, Japanese IS useful. If it weren't useful, there wouldn't be any culture from the country spreading and people wouldn't learn it to begin with.
Besides, Japan is a very relevant country in the world nowadays, we're longer in the age of Sakoku (oops, did I just lose you lmao) and with the upcoming J.O., you can bet Japanese is useful.
>I'm not american
You. Dumb. Brainless. Dense. Retard.
It's a fucking ad hominem about people who speak only one fucking language and disregard those from other countries because of their lack of insight/knowledge. Just like you.

Based and redpilled

If it isn't fun why are you even doing it?

Take your meds, Tarage.

Yes actually I'd rather have whiny faggots like you drop them

the way you give off this superiority complex and big brain disguise in one post leads me to believe you are a translator

100% correct, as is always passionate people are better at it

I occasionally translate things to my native language for friends who dont understand english properly and honestly its easy to do 20 pages in 15 minutes
Japanese to english may be slightly more difficult but it shouldnt take over 30 minutes

Adding subs to anime isnt difficult either, theyre entitled fucks

If we're talking only about scanning, orientation, and leveling, that's bullshit. I always hear this and I don't know if most people just do it in a really inefficient way. But if you have a good setup doing a tank takes about 1h of actual work, with some extra downtime waiting for the scanner and shit.

No user, no problem at all. But you have to tell me these things beforehand
You're projecting again user, and no it's not relevant, you know what's a relevant languange? spanish, second or third most widely spoken in the world, opens a lot of doors for you in business, I'm not american and I do speak spanish and english. Stop projecting.

Scanlations are not needed. THE FREAKING MANGA INDUSTRY NEEDS TO MAN UP AND START TRANSLATING THEIR OWN WORK, but oh wait, Japanese people hate the West, never forget Hiroshima

Two bombs wasn't enough

>if it's not useful for your corporate master, it's irrelevant
It's the main language of OUR hobby, it's extremely relevant for US.

>They spend a lot of hours translating a chapter
It takes ten minutes at most to read a chapter and maybe another 10 minutes to translate it unless you're just translating to study. All the work is in type setting and even then they should make take an hour or two.

Attached: 1559492821827.jpg (230x231, 22K)

>Spanish in business
Really? How many ways do you really need to know to say 'wake up and get back to work, its not break time yet'.

fan artists spend 100x the amount of effort to release content FOR FREE

these people do half an hour of work and demand to be treated like celebrities

Then work part-time, who seriously sees translating manga as job, their not even hired by the an official magazine

Only the scummiest of the scum scanlators actually take donations for their projects, though those that display adshit too like JB are even worse.

By all means, please tell everyone to drop their projects. Then we'll see how the weebs act when there's no-one left to translate their shits and they'll come back crying because they are lazy fucks.
Scanlation groups are annoying but the manga readers are even more annoying.
>if it's not the number one or two, it's not relevant!
As I said, total lack of insight.
>Spanish
Just because EVERYONE's speaking the language doesn't mean you have a lot more opportunities. It's the law of supply and demand: it's easily replaceable and Spanish is easy as fuck to learn. Japan is a strong country on the global scale and is more relevant than ever nowadays BUT the language is hard to learn and the natives have a hard time learning other languages therefore, it makes those who can speak it AND other languages even more valuable.
I know a shit load of Spanish speaking people. They are stuck in shit companies despite their abilities for a reason.

It's almost as if translations take a lot of work and business people know it's not worth the risk spending all that money.

They're lazy. That's just how it is. It shouldn't take more than a week to do a chapter even if you're an adult with real life shit.

translating takes fuck all actual time to do if you actually know Japanese. literally as long as reading the sentence once and typing it out.

>but oh wait, Japanese people hate the West
U wot m8?
Japanese people do not hate the West.

Well now that's true and a good point. That's why I support them whenever I can because while I'm not willing to learn moonrunes for just my hobby, I still enjoy it and appreciate those who take the time and do it for me, once chinks star to care about the west and actually ATTEMPT to deliver TLs for their work, I might support them, otherwise I won't support something I can't read.
There are different zones in english speaking countries where a high % of people are not native english speakers, these people still need to contact insurance agencies, social services, utilities companies, even sometimes law enforcement services. These companies of course can't understand what they're saying so they hire interpreters to do precisely that. This is an example of course.

its almost as if working your way into foreign markets you have no experience in with different laws and justice systems is not worth the effort when they can order merch directly from your country anyways

>5 dollars is a big deal in most asian countries
lmao no

Even less than that honestly. Look at live TL threads on Yea Forums. Anons post raw and kind anons translate that shit there and then. Then another user type sets it and put that shit on Mangadex

Attached: 1558826117314.png (207x305, 20K)

>even anime adaptions
Looks like I'll never buy a book again.

No they don't, a competent translator can do a chapter in an hour and typesetting is minimum wage shit.

>lazy fucks
As if anyone is interested in learning some ripoff Chinese language, the western anime fans just want a decent company that is legal, legit and constant that won't beg and cry for NEET bucks to support their hobby

>5-20 minutes a page
So that's what, like 6 hours for a chapter? That's really good.

Have you compared the translations by most scanlation groups and poeple who do live translations on Yea Forums? It's obvious most groups don't have translators who actually know Japanese.

WHat they do is illegal so unironically yeah

Merch your marketing off of people doing all the heavy lifting of advertising the series in another market for you with free translations.

>Scanlators have to keep consistent releases that are pushed out as fast as possible.
Two words: community projects. The ones that aren't lead by incompetent fuckwits tend to have pretty strict dead lines. The same applies to collaborative projects
>It's also a collaboration between several people.
So is Doom mapping. Disregarding collaborative and community projects, If I haven't had at least four people play test my maps and tweaked them according to their criticism before I release them, then in my opinion I'm fucking up pretty bad. That's more than can be said of ESL translators who pump out really fucked up translations without having someone who speaks fluent English proofread their shit.

>people spend their time on this
>they do it for free
>I dan't do it
>but I consume the product of their effors
>they shouldn't ask for donations, because it's easy, and costs nothing, and I'm not forcing them to!

Attached: high iq power.png (497x357, 146K)

If the anime industry can overwork a person to suicide how hard is it to translate one page of a manga?

>Yea Forums live TL
ALL of them are very simple, short, lighthearted SoL manga with basic shit vocab.

user you're a retard not sure why I'm even replying to you, but alright. first being number one or two means precisely that, it's relevant. Being niche and isolated, barely spoken means precisely that, it's irrelevant.

Having that clear, the difficulty of a language is based on the similarity it holds compared to your native language or other language you have mastered, learning JAP from having English native is hard as fuck for example, but learning it from having SPA native is very easy, both are quite similar, that said spanish is one of the hardest language to learn and master, english one of the easiest, and jap definitely on the easiest scale if your native language have similarities with it. It's also for the record a very inefficient and broken language, while english is one of the most efficient for delivering ideas, making it ideal for business. There are many factors, but you're a retard. JAP is irrelevant.

Because none of the money that we dinage to them is gonna help out the anime industry... How hard is it for you to get this.

There are many of those on the market already, especially in Europe. You guys just don't seem to care that much in any case.
The appeal of free stuff is too strong, that's why the word "donation" upsets them: they are used to get everything for free and being reminded that a service actually costs something is too much for them.

Yes, not like those super hard grown up manga you read am I right?

Then don't donate and go buy merch.

Hey everyone knows nisioisin is a pain in the ass to translate

Exactly. None of popular sol romcom shounen kiddy shit are stuck in translation limbo.

Really hard. Those two things aren't connected in any way. If you really want, you can donate to creative projects too, or, I dunno, buy merch and stuff. No one's stopping you.

Yea Forumsnon has been translating Bakemonogatari since more than a week, he does at least one chapter a day and it's all FREE and he doesn't give a fuck aobut donations.

how hard can translating really be? nigger you're just typing a few sentences down in text bubbles once a week

I think if your priority is breaking even or turning a profit off unlicensed translations because you can't afford the costs (or it effects your cost of living) you should just straight up stop translating things. Get your life together, and leave the passion projects to those who can afford it. Trying to make a sustainable return off the unlicensed translations of another's works is usually just a ticking time bomb for self-destruction.

Wat. Yes there are tons you retard.

No light novel shit is hard, at most a pain in the ass because you have to stuff it with TL notes.

Good for him?

Not hard, but very time consuming.

list 8 of them, then.

And get a shitty non-edited translation on ugly non-redrawn scans with ugly typesets.

Supply and demand you stupid faggot

Exactly, people need to realize that it's a fan translation and stop worrying and support the company directly by paying to legit and legal company. That's like paying for mods, no one should pay for mods. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE

Sure, support the company directly, but if one day your scanlations will stop coming out and you don't know any Japanese, well, tough luck, sucker.

Now now user, we can't have you say nonesense like that.

Attached: todd credits.jpg (650x367, 68K)

I know this is bait but are there actual human beings in this world, the same I live in, that actually pay for adobe photoshop, and not only do so, they do it constantly, every month?

Please, let it be so. Then Yea Forums will be rid of those pesky newfags and underage retards.

If you live in Japan for a year with a friend who does speak the language you will learn speaking it in no time
but then theres also reading

Depends on the series and the content of the writing. If it's a comedy with a lot of wordplay, it's usually pretty hard. Jokes are often lost in translation, and the translator will probably have to do an approximate one in his own language. There's also things like typesetting, cleaning, redrawing. There's more work than you're giving them credit for. Of course that's if they want to be professional or at least give the illusion of being that. You can be a lazy piece of shit and do exactly what you're saying, but it usually reflects really poorly in the final product.

don't most kanji in manga have the hiragana next to it? Can't you sound the words out that way?

That's only manga for kids.

dude most people just want the translations are accurately as possible, nobody is asking you do cleaning redrawing and all that shit, ill take white blocks pasted of the old text even

besides the ones that feel that theyre entitled to make a living of shitty translations are usually the worst ones too, because they dont care about the things they do, they just want money

You say that like it's a bad thing

Attached: 1559011212290.png (1052x1074, 475K)

You will, I prefer well made scanlations.

It only takes about 4 hours to finish a monthly chapter so it's not that big of a deal.

Kill yourself.

Well, I'm too fucking lazy to look for raws and then spend half an hour googling every time I encounter some cultural shit I have no idea about or have to read one sentence multiple time because I'm tired and Japaneve s-o-v sentence fucks my brains. I prefer someone else to do it for me. And if they want to ask for donation for their work and it helps them to keep going, I'm all for it.

It's the Creative Cloud version of Photoshop which was the silliest soIo app version could think of. There's technically an even more expensive one with over 50 bucks monthly payment for all apps. I know absolutely no one who uses either of those myself.

I think that really only applies when the alternative is "no translation at all". If you have, say, two groups handling one project, you'll always probably go with whatever's cleaner.

Yes. Professional artists and designers who prefer PS and can get sued by Adobe.

>If you have, say, two groups handling one project,
perfect time to drop it, then.

Is it even possible to buy digital without getting jewed by DRM shit? I refuse to do that.

I'm in a team doing redraws and it can take up to a week to release because everyone is busy with school and work. (one buys unbinds and scan which can take several hours, usually three for redraws, one for translating, one for cleaning editing and type setting) and luckily our fanbase is super patient but I have seen a few of us do scanlations for DB and people don't stop asking online when the chapter is coming
Those groups who manage to release on the same day probably sacrifice time they should be sleeping, preparing for an exam or doing homework, properly eating or even working freelance or partime so I can see why they take donations
That said donations make me feel uncomfortable and I would rather guide people on how to buy the official release lime my team does
I recall Boku Girl came with a guide on how to buy the Japanese physical volume, I wish more scanlators did that instead of whoring their ads

yeah of course, but if the cleaner project is complaining about donations while also claiming theyre doing us a big one then ill happily go back to the other

You have a very poor understanding of the work involved in translation.

I do as an artist because the older versions lack the futures I need
I know its overpriced and I tried going for alternative art programs but they all lack features

the only thing they have that photoshop doesnt have is better brush settings when it comes to colouring

>one for translating
actually we have two that speak Japanese, is just that one usually focuses on translating and making the script whioe the other helps with revisions and editing

no. you have to de-drm them yourself.

Why would I? You're the one advocating for freeloading.

>scanlator group include a guide on buying the physical volume
>scanlator group have a link headed “donations:” that just leads to the manga’s page on CDjapan
I love it when scanlators do stuff like this

>I prefer someone else to do it for me.
>And if they want to ask for donation for their work >and it helps them to keep going, I'm all for it.
Nothing personal but youre the type of guy that would ENJOY living in the USSR
Do you seriously think you need to pay money for this? do you not realized who's at fault here ... it's JAPAN, they are the one that have the same "MUH NIPPON STRONG" mindset that won't let them expand their company to other countries, there are millions of anime fans (godspeed the spanish and europeans out there) that never get to see some of their favorite work EVER translated and when they do it's like 20 years later. read this and educate yourself animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-04-13/ghibli-co-founder-toshio-suzuki-discusses-why-studio-did-not-seek-growth/.145563

Yeah fuck that. Physical it is.

Yeah I understand your stance I was just trying to say I don't think most people actively want the scene to go towards "just be accurate and don't worry about anything else" unless the alternative is literally nothing. Scan drama is always dumb and pointless ego trips, but everyone appreciates a hard worker.

>fan artists spend 100x the amount of effort to release content FOR FREE
fanartists also put stuff behind paywalls and ask for donations. what are you getting at?

money is a great motivator. That's really the only justification needed. you shouldn't feel obligated to support them or anything but it's not a complicated question either. Some people do things out of passion and other times it's not quite enough to do so just by that.

The only people freeloading are the ones demanding to be paid for the work of others, fuck off and die.

Most groups are releasing several series.

a large portion of them dont, only the shitty ones do

most ask money for commissions and paywall HD stuff while releasing normal works for free

sure theres also bad apples but it doesnt compare to translators.
I dont think this thread is going to get anywhere, its just a shitty all around situations that can only be fixed with more translators and/or better translation algorithms

What in the world are you talking about, you fucking loonatic? Paying for things is communism? You fucking schizo.

Also, you've got no idea how stupid is the idea of trying to scare me with living in the USSR.

Well, I see no one discussing people like that in this thread, so who the fuck are you talking about?

Haha. Nice try, pal.
Kill yourself.

Cut your leg off first and I'll think about it. You can't even articulate your damn stupid point.

My point is quite clear. Scanbeggars are scum and you're a massive faggot, you faggot.

If they say that, it's bullshit to trick idiots into giving them more money. The only valid reason is that you're doing a real job that you would normally get paid for, so it's not crazy to want to make money off of it. My imouto thinks I'm weird for doing it for free.

It shows that translating doesn't take hours like the lazy translators say.

>boo hoo, it doesn't take hours because I've seen it
>i didn't actually do it though

>boo hoo, I'm a NEET give me money

If it takes more than an hour to translate one chapter then you don't know Japanese well enough to be translating

>implying i haven't
Fuck off shameless NEET, come back when you translate a work with actual information density instead of comics for japanese kids.

>hurr durr it's so easy and requires no effort
Tl-ing is absolute cancer, obviously they don't deserve to get paid but they do have the right to beg for money.
Not like they're forcing people to read their shitty tls, but if it's either them or no translation at all there's not much you can do about it. Except learning moon of course.

>but they do have the right to beg for money.
Yeah but no.

Why are you advocating for people doing a shit job at anything? Have you ever accomplished a single thing worth mentioning in your life? You sound like a braindead underage newfag who just wants his next fix no matter the price. Even your posting style itself screams "no effort". Get your shit together and accomplish something, faggot; you might actually learn that it's pleasing to have nice things in the process.

>ill take white blocks pasted of the old text even
Never translate, typeset or edit anything ever. Hell, I don't even think you should touch anything that is or was once printed on paper, manga or otherwise.

I don't know about how hard it is to typeset shit since I've never bothered, but in general most manga is relatively easy to translate if you know a decent amount of Japanese. I agree that it is pretty tedious and boring though. And fuck translating anything more complicated like LNs/VNs.

cool story bro

>but they do have the right to beg for money
no they don't, profiting from someone else's artistic work is even more scummy than pirating for free

t. literal shiteater

how can you be this upset over someones preferences, are you the type that gets anal that part of a white box sticks out over the japanese in his FREE translations? And all that projection, the fuck is wrong with you

You need to take a break from the internet for your own wellbeing

Attached: urafagt.gif (500x281, 821K)

>hurr it's free so why are you complaining
I'd rather have nothing than have absolute shit. Once you turn 18, you might see it this way. I like how your "preference" is absolute shit, by the way (for fuck's sake, you're basically advocating using MS paint for scanlating; get some standards, holy shit).

>tfw insane minimalist to the point i sometimes throw out things i actually do need
>physical buyfaggotry
there's only one series i'd do it for and even then i just can't. it gives me anxiety.

They're providing a service that people are willing to pay for, why should they pass up on that? Not to mention that tl comissions are sometimes the only way for niche mangos to get translated.

The whole problem is completely stupid since bigger publishers could just hire some in-house translators and sell their shit online, completely bypassing our trashy gajjin publishers.

>They're providing a service that people are willing to pay for, why should they pass up on that?
Because it is the right thing to do and they should get a real job.

>1300px digital thrash
No thanks

Why would this nigger think he could be a translator when he can't even speak english?

to piss you off.
be grateful that there's a translation at all.

>Two words: community projects
These don't exist because they don't work. Why are you talking about a subject you know nothing about? Your Doom maps literally aren't shit, by the way.

>ALL of them
>ALL
You are talking out of your ass.

Yes. ALL of them. you can try naming some exceptions. I don't think you can though.

>autistic weebs are too retarded to cooperate so doing a translation with a semi-open team application structure doesn't work
>user gets defensive and starts insulting people
By the way this does nothing to justify e-begging.

I'd say mostly paying for hosting if they have their own website.

>WCW
There is your recommendation, fuck off and lurk a couple years more.

so you can't. okay, then.

Why would anyone do that instead of just using a Wordpress blog?

Scanlation is literally impossible to discuss with people who have never done it. Seriously. They have no idea what amount of effort, skill and time goes into translating, typesetting or general image editing. To try and put it into perspective for the know-nothings, letterers of American comics get paid a standard rate of about $20/page by big companies like Marvel and DC. Lettering in American comics is far, far easier because in Japanese manga you have to deal with layouts optimized for vertical text and if you want to overlay any sort of text then you're going to have to do a manual redraw.

I don't think Wordpress blogs are as versatile as hosting your own website.

>EOP thinks he's smarter than all of the translators in the world and that his retarded fucking idea of an """"""open translation""""" is worth anything
You cock slurping fucking idiot

Nigga what the fuck kind of bullshit acronyms are you even throwing around right now. Take your autism pills and stop posting.

I'm not sure that's a good comparison, most stuff is done digitally nowadays, so anyone working for the actual company that owns the comic will have access to the photoshop file or whatever program they use and can easily separate the art layer from the sound effect/bubble layer, making lettering much easier than the effort scanlators have to go through with redrawing stuff.

>enter a field where there's no monetary compensation expected for your efforts
>wtf why won't you pay me?

Attached: 1555383603346.jpg (665x574, 29K)

Only redditors pay for Patreonfag translators.

>I'm not sure that's a good comparison, most stuff is done digitally nowadays, so anyone working for the actual company that owns the comic will have access to the photoshop file or whatever program they use and can easily separate the art layer from the sound effect/bubble layer, making lettering much easier
That's literally the point. Marvel/DC is still paying these guys a base $20/page for something that is vastly easier than localized manga lettering. Because even the easy lettering that the Marvel/DC guys are doing requires that much effort. If they could get away with paying people less than $20/page, you could bet their ass that they would. But they can't because no one would deal with that shit for any less.

>do one or two series out of pure passions
>reads keep begging you to do more
>slippery slope into doing more series
As a scanlator you either vanish with a trail of dropped projects or eventually start asking for donations

I'm failing to understand how a wage barely above minimum assuming that the job is as time consuming as you suggest means that scanlators have it oh so hard. I make more than $20/hr and I assure you my job isn't hard or high paying.

I have no idea what sort of costs are associated with producing a comic book, but $20 a page sounds like peanuts.
How long are these Marvel comics normally?

Something else to keep in mind is that the Marvel/DC guys definitely have a higher quality of standard to meet with their work, a lot of scanlation groups will just leave SFX and other things alone and put translations for those in the margins

Nice lies.
You don't need all that shit for scanlating a bunch of manga chapters.

You just wait for the digital public raws(a lot of manga you can torrent/download for free) to come out, translate and typeset.
Nobody gives a shit about your autistic meme filters and your meme typesetting, we just want readable/understandable chapters we don't need all of that pointless "fancy" shit.

Then ignore the demands.
Are you one of those "give the people what they want" guys?

That whole post was an obvious joke. You may have autism if you missed it.

>$20/hr
$20/page you fucking moron

The standard issue is 22 pages of content. The average letterer handles about 5~10 series.

>$20/page
Actually, turns out it's $23/page standard and $45/page for the senior letterers.

>$20/page you fucking moron
Yeah I can read, but it seems you can't.
So you're saying it takes under an hour to add the text to a page then? The job doesn't sound all that hard then, does it? Unless you're meaning to say that it takes over an hour and these people are barely being paid at all, which suggests that the work isn't highly skilled, just time consuming.
So which is it? Fast or slow but easy?

>I really like this author
>I know that if I don't do it no one else will
>I guess I could do it even though I know it's going to be a lot of work
>Shit, I don't want to drop this because that would suck for everyone and no one else will pick up the slack
>etc.
It's easy to talk shit about things you have zero experience with. I suggest you shut up until you have experience.

Oh look, a thing I absolutely have experience with but for a different form of media. How interesting.
All you have to do is say no until you have the time. It's not that hard if you're not a submissive little bitch.

>WOW IT DOESN'T TAKE AN HOUR TO DO A STANDARD PAGE WELL THEN IT CAN'T BE HARD
You are literally retarded

You're still talking about a subject and circumstances you don't know anything about. Good job. Sounds like you have typical autism.

No argument then? Glad you admit that typesetting a comic book page isn't that hard. Thanks for being the bigger man.

>U DONT UNDERSTAND MUH CIRCUMSTANCES
What? A pack of autists online begging you to do something? Oh no such a totally unrelatable scenario, I clearly can't understand your pain. Or maybe you're the one who's fucking stupid and doesn't understand that you can JUST SAY NO IF YOU'RE TOO BUSY.

Reminder that the typical Yea Forums-non translated/typesetted manga chapter is about on par with most scanlators and they don't have meme patreon accounts.

>No argument then?
Yeah, your post had no argument whatsoever.

That’s false, you fucking idiot.

Reminder that the typical Yea Forums-non output is peanuts.

I agree, let’s get rid of all the 3dpd voice actor leeches that demand to get paid 66 times more than the average animator for what amounts to voicing a character made by talented LN artists and illustrators that are way more talented and important than them.

>Scanlation is literally impossible to discuss with people who have never done it.
This 100%. A quick look through this thread by anyone who has done scanlation will confirm it.

How much does it pay per page on average, and how long does it take to do a page? That's what you have to answer. You won't though, because if you do you'll have to explain one of three things.
>Why it pays so little and the pages go so fast if it's supposed to be hard
>Why it pays so little and the pages go so slow if people can do it professionally
>Why it pays so much and the pages go so slow if random anons can do what you judge as a harder job for free relatively quickly
No matter what, you admit you're wrong, so you'll just dodge the answer.

It's not like anyone is paying you to translate ... or do you want people to pay you to translate???

Attached: good_think.png (128x128, 8K)

>profiting from someone else's artistic work is even more scummy than pirating for free
Then why are there entire voice acting schools in Japan dedicated to doing just that and getting paid a million bucks to do it?

I'm forced to stay home everyday to care for my mother, who has been sick for over 15 years. If you love my releases, please consider donating at kireicake.com to support our livelihood. All proceeds go towards offsetting her medical fees. Thank you very much for reading!

Attached: 1426996579047.png (1920x1080, 1.63M)

If a bunch of unorganized retards at Yea Forums can do a passable job when they want for free then surely a more organized group can do it for free as well...like they used to 10 years ago before this cancerous kickstarter/indiegogo/patreon bullshit started happening.

youtube.com/watch?v=8IrktBX7GNg
>photoshop can literally do half your redraws for you automatically
Where were you when e-begging scanlators were btfo forever?

>a single average page takes less than an hour so it can't be difficult
A master of logic you are not

>still dodging the question
How much and how long faggot? Just say it.

>If a bunch of unorganized retards at Yea Forums
ESL, please. Unorganized? A translator gives a script and a typesetting puts in the text. Yea Forums has as much organization as any other group.

>why won't you answer my faulty ultimatum!!!!11

I suggest you get a job you fucking bum.

Why won't you just answer the question? How long does the average american comic panel take to typeset and add text to? How much does it pay per page? Just answer, unless of course the answer would make you look really really wrong and stupid, then keep dodging the questions.

>calling others ESL
>A translator gives a script and a typesetting puts in the text.

The absolute state of internet beggars.

I will say, despite that meme message Kirei-Cake is one the less cancerous groups out there at least.
Decent output and I don't remember them holding chapters hostage until they reach a goal or some shit.

Saw the projects they currently have though and they've picked way too much trash.
Oh well, their translation for Masamune-kun were a godsend and they even went as far as translating extras.

You forgot the license for Topaz Denoise

>pirate Photoshop
>follow the videos instrucion
>open up Yea Forums
>go to translation thread
>beg and whine that no one is hiring redrawers
>profit????

Scanlations should disappear. That way we'd see what happens with half of you faggots. Me, I'd just laugh, because I buy translated manga.

By unorganized I'm referring to the problem with the anonymous nature of Yea Forums.
Sometimes some user might say he'll translate some shit but then they disappear. It's not a guaranteed thing and can make co-operation a lot harder.

Still, despite that, Yea Forums often does a pretty good job so I would expect a group who is more in contact with each-other who would have it much easier.

Everything but the last step sounds about right lol

Then post tutorials on learning Japanese

Why would I be grateful there's a translation for something I don't read? Fuck off cuck.

Attached: 1492746302814.jpg (655x600, 90K)

>I'm failing to understand how a wage barely above minimum
Wow, you're actually retarded.
>$24/page
>22 pages
>weekly series
>$528/week for one issue
>$2112/month
>most letterers handle more than one series
>easily $4000+/month
The other guy is right, you're a retard. Why would anyone humor your dumb posts?

>Scanlations should disappear.
Good luck making Niggerstream and Jaimini disappear.

How much of a pushover faggot are you?

every single one of you should donate so i can keep enjoying my free manga

You don't understand bro, he's famous. He's gotta give it to the people.

>528/week
>not barely above minimum, which averages 400/week
My dude you need some math skills. Also you're proving my point that it's not a hard job if you're saying that it's so easy that people can handle multiple series professionally to double up their profits (or more). Adding some fucking text to a panel is not a difficult job these days with photoshop and other tools. The hardest part is the translation and that's not that bad either so long as you can read fluently in both languages. Time-consuming? Sure I guess. Difficult? No. Worthy of pay? If these people could get paid for it they would be being paid for it, so probably no outside of e-begging donations.

>purposely ignoring the part of that post which completely dismantles your shitposting
What an idiot!

Which part is that, exactly? Please do specify it.

Get a job.

Based. Thanks r*dditors and white knights in this thread.

Attached: 1548277414893.jpg (480x360, 10K)

The average translator is paid something like $0.015 per word, which isn't much for manga.

>it's not hard if you can do more than 22 pages in a week
You are actually retarded.
>Adding some fucking text to a panel is not a difficult job
You've never done it.
>The hardest part is the translation
That's not true. I've had translators who had done typesetting and eventually passed it off to me because they literally thought typesetting was too hard and time consuming.
>and that's not that bad either so long as you can read fluently in both languages.
Now you're talking about something you have never done and can't do.
>Worthy of pay? If these people could get paid for it they would be being paid for it
Most people do it as a hobby, not a profession. I've done it as both.

Get a job.

I'm always stuck on this on one hand they put hours of work into something I enjoy reading, and deserve to be compensated in some way. On the other hand, what they are doing is technically illegal, and almost none of the money people donate to them will ever see the original mangaka and their team, who surely put in even more work, just to have their work translated and posted online without their permission. In any case I think translators whining about people sniping the series they're working on, or taking their work and translating it into other languages is really hypocritical.

Honestly this whole issue would be resolved if publishers cared enough to get the series officially translated before scanalators got their hands on them, and made volumes available for purchase digitally (or maybe had site with a bunch of manga and with ads or a subscription service like Crunchyroll is trying to do). Even if some people still pirate it, they're still almost guaranteed to make back the money they spent on the translations and more, but for some reason publishers seem to be allergic to money.

>You are actually retarded.
Cool argument
>You've never done it.
I actually have, but even if I hadn't it doesn't mean I'm wrong.
>That's not true. I've had translators who had done typesetting and eventually passed it off to me because they literally thought typesetting was too hard and time consuming.
My bad, let me rephrase that. The part that requires the most technical skill is the translation.
>Now you're talking about something you have never done and can't do.
Not entirely true, I have translated things from French -> English in the past as I have a decent grasp on both languages. Not the same as asian languages of course since those two languages are far closer grammatically but I do have some knowledge of the process. Also it doesn't matter if I can do it or not, it doesn't make me wrong.
>Most people do it as a hobby, not a profession. I've done it as both.
Okay? Good for you. Doesn't justify e-begging faggotry.

>On the other hand, what they are doing is technically illegal
That's a weird gripe for someone reading illegal scans.
>and almost none of the money people donate to them will ever see the original mangaka and their team
You're paying for the localization, not the manga itself.
>Honestly this whole issue would be resolved if publishers cared enough to get the series officially translated
It's not economically feasible. Manga is inherently much more expensive to publish physically or digitally because of the fact that unlike English comics, you have to add an additional overhead for the translation which has to be done before a single issue is even sold. So it's a very risky move for businesses. That's why they tend to focus on proven titles i.e. have already been scanlated and have an established base of readers.

>OH GOD MY JOB IS SO HARD OH GOD AHHH
youtube.com/watch?v=isuMSuihN7o
>PLEASE MY MOTHER IS SICK GIVE ME MONEY I CAN'T GET A REAL JOB I'M TOO AUTISTIC AHHHHH

Attached: d05de926d0.jpg (1021x997, 126K)

>I actually have
>Not entirely true, I have translated things from French -> English in the past
No, you haven't.

>sped up video
>poor lettering job
>easy as piss page
Wonderful.

Once again, cool argument. Also I wasn't referring to the same things there. I translated documentation and business-type shit from French ->English. I did typesetting for something else entirely and only a few times.

Oh my god I can hear your butthurt autistic screaming from here. She literally tells you how long it takes on average per chapter at the end you sperglord.

Attached: 1553064755697.png (640x480, 422K)

You haven't done anything related to manga localization and there's no argument to be had. You saying a bunch of unsubstantiated shit and lacing it with blatant lies is just shitposting, not discussion.

Get a job.

Fuck off, FwPA. Your awful "guides" and sped up videos don't mean anything to other scanlators. You just do them for epeen from readers on your discord and youtube channel.

>Connection error, 502 bad gateway
Fix your site gookmoot
>You haven't done anything related to manga localization and there's no argument to be had
Once again, my not having physically done the exact task has nothing to do with whether or not I'm correct. You don't have to make movies to review them. You don't have to cook to tell if food is shit. You don't have to program software to spot bugs. etc.
>You saying a bunch of unsubstantiated shit and lacing it with blatant lies is just shitposting, not discussion.
Good thing that's not what I'm doing then.

>FwPA
Who? Do you need mental help?

>Once again, my not having physically done the exact task has nothing to do with whether or not I'm correct
Yeah, it does. Your "logic" is compete bullshit.
>yeah football is so easy you just throw the ball and catch it and run to the touchdown
This is the level of your argument. You're an idiot.

I think I would actually be pissed if I find out scanlators individually earn more in donations than the assistant or even the fucking mangaka

>Yeah, it does. Your "logic" is compete bullshit.
Oh user I'm sorry that the school system failed you. I truly am. Please have my condolences, it's not your fault that you're retarded.
In fact, I apologize. Triggering spergs is one thing but bullying people who are genuinely mentally retarded is just mean-spirited.

>fucks up all of the redraws
>makes the text really big and off center just to hide botched redraws
>shitty "translation" done from a dictionary
>claims average page only takes five minutes, but the video is five minutes in length despite being x5 speed and an easy page with minimal dialogue

Attached: 1496501008094.png (480x359, 202K)

So you're a bum with persecutory delusions, no wonder you need to beg on the internet. Anyway, here's a scanlation video that hasn't been speed up
youtube.com/watch?v=LH-i8IvYIcg

>implying the average scanlator isn't actually worse than this video
How much manga do you really read? Half of these fuckers can't even use their, they're and there properly and upload ant-sized images.

They don't. There is no scanlation team out there making decent money from donations. They would need to get $10,000 in donations every month just to pay just two people about minimum wage.

>They would need to get $10,000 in donations every month just to pay just two people about minimum wage.
HhAHAHAhAHAHAHAHHAh

Wow you sure got me with that zinger. I'll definitely donate to your patreon.

That's nice but due to ethical reasons I need a GIMP version.

Look up Resynthesizer my fellow freetard. They had adaptive fill before PS did.

Cause it's not in English? Fucken idiot

Because *I* created something, and I expect to be compensated. Oh, not enough people donate? Okay. I'll just drop the manga and you'll never ever read it.l because you can't learn Japanese.

Next.

While you're free to act out your God complex over the internet, it doesn't change the fact that the rest of your life is awful since you're clearly doing it for free.
:^)

Hey user, why don't you get a job?

>Because *I* created something
No you fucking didn’t. You pirated someone else’s creation.

Imagine still caring about piracy in 2038

I work with PLCs and get paid well enough to support my hobbies and more. Regardless, I don't do anything FOR FREE, not even for family.

I report every single group that begs for money to the FBI, since it’s illegal and annoying.

It's ok user, just get a job.

Piracy is clearly not the issue here, you fucking bellend.

You literally said it was an issue in the first sentence. You'll now say I didn't read the whole thing. Yet, what is the whole thing but the combination of your sentences? If your first sentence is wrong then it's still so whether or not the rest is good. Henceforth, I submit that you don't make a shit first sentence next time and I won't read your thing

>Once again, my not having physically done the exact task has nothing to do with whether or not I'm correct. You don't have to make movies to review them. You don't have to cook to tell if food is shit. You don't have to program software to spot bugs. etc.
You're completely missing the way that arguement is meant to be used
Its one thing to say
>This steak is fucking shit
you don't need to be a chef to say that. But its another to say
>Any moron should be able to make a steak in 2 minutes

ITT: A bunch of worthless Neckbeards call something they depend on yet themselves don't and cannot do, worthless, flawlessly demonstrating the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Yea Forums really is the low IQ capital of the world.

That wasn't even me you originally replied to and you're clearly being an obtuse homo just because, so you can get a job too.

I for one would gladly get blueballed by every single manga/LN I've ever read/been reading if that meant you faggots didn't get the satisfaction. Get a job, then kill yourself.

>That wasn't even me you originally replied to
Ok? But you replied to me replying to that sentence so the point stands

Attached: coffee.jpg (640x360, 48K)

I have a job.
Its spending your tax money, cuck.

13 dollys is a lot

>2019
>Yea Forums still hasn't learned Japanese
Just free yourself from all this translator bullshit and drama. You don't know how liberating it is until you've reached the goal.

>the point stands
It doesn't, but I'm not gonna engage further. Get a job, Tim.

>mad he can't retire by 40
looks like you picked the wrong career, ladyboy

And thats why I still use CS3. That and I dont know where my cs4 shit went.

I just don't understand why the source doesn't localize. Not just Manga, but anime/visual novels/games/etc. They are willfully ignoring westerners with money to burn - more than ever, with the current GenX/Millenial/GenZ having a hardon for nip culture. I'd probably buy both, just because the nip version is more cozy and looks more refined on a shelf.

Learning it is very hard tho

It just takes regular time and practice. You don't even have to be particularly good to read manga. It's generally pretty easy. That alone will show you have bad most T/Ls really are.

>it's a lot more than what goes into fansubbing
t. has never spent an hour typesetting a 5-second cut because it zooms at uneven intervals

>retire by 40
>begging for scraps on the internet

>That's a weird gripe for someone reading illegal scans.
I'm not saying scanalating is wrong, just that it's a morally grey area (meaning not completely wrong and not completely right) to make money off what is mostly other peoples' art with your work added to it, when they're not getting a cut.

It's also definitely wrong to pretend you have any sort of right to the series or complain about other groups doing the same thing to you that you did to the original creator (I've seen multiple scan groups whine or start drama over people retranslating their work or "sniping" the series' that they're working on.)

>you have to add an additional overhead for the translation which has to be done before a single issue is even sold.

I always thought that most translations are a one-time expense. i.e. You pay the people who do the translation with a either a flat fee or a flat wage for the hours they worked on it, rather than perpetually paying them a percentage of the sales as royalties (correct me if I'm wrong about this). So unless their profit margins on each copy were originally paper thin, you could sell it for close to the original price depending on how many copies you think you'll eventually sell (even if you don't sell them right away the you'll probably eventually reach a good number of sales if you keep it up for long enough and make it easy to find).

Additionally, if it's all digital and you don't have to pay printing costs, that would likely offset the extra cost of the translation completely, weather or not I'm right about how they're paid.

who is begging for scraps?
I think you have me confused with someone else. I think you've took too many memes to the head, kid. Go ask whatever YouTuber or Twitch streamer you pay to suck their dick what possible job lets you retire at 20 years, then go cry to mommy and daddy for more money because you wish people would give you shit for free.

people's time is worth something too buddy we're not all NEETs
Having said that, I translate anonymously and just dump them here so I don't take donations anyways.

Attached: no neets.png (786x506, 165K)

But it's not a statement that the steak can be made in 2 minutes, it's a statement that cooking a steak can't be that hard because it doesn't pay that well and the concept of cooking a steak is something anyone can do. You're doing the opposite here, you're saying
>There's no way you can cook that steak, why would they pay people to cook it if ANYONE can cook it?