So I want to start Sailor Moon. Where should I start and which one did you like more?

So I want to start Sailor Moon. Where should I start and which one did you like more?
>Original anime
>SM Crystal
>Manga

Attached: 5d2fc344-d9f0-4e61-874b-6d7556251a2b.jpg (500x375, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b-44V8P3ySo
sailormoonscenery.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd honestly say watch the anime then read the manga.
Anime to get the characters, manga to get the insane stuff the anime didn't bother touching upon

Should note I mean OG anime
Crystal sucks balls

Original

Original, always. Crystal is fucking awful. I recommend the manga if you enjoy the anime enough.

Attached: 708a97c836a3118d800b192f1edff75e.jpg (1440x1803, 226K)

Not op, but I'd like to know too: why the shit on crystal? Can you liken the situation to any other remakes you can remember?
Just an animation thing?
Shitty voice?
Bad direction?
Pants-on-head retarded storytelling?

Attached: 1553521910916.jpg (1024x751, 171K)

Original, episode 1. Don't skip any episode, even if some retards tell you to skip "filler".
Read the Sailor V manga before you read the Sailor Moon one. It's better, shorter and started publication before Sailor Moon.
Crystal should be your least concern. Watch it after you're done with everything else. You might or might not like it.

>why the shit on crystal?
>Just an animation thing?
Mainly animation.
It also is much closer to the manga in feel than to the original anime. And most people who like Sailor Moon are, first and foremost, Sailor Moon anime fans.
Crystal did cut the characterizations short and got rid of the slice-of-life elements, the "Monsters of the Day", and the cozy pacing that most people enjoyed.

Ultra Shitty animation (to the point you didn't even need to freeze frame to find errors and even normal people noticed them they were that bad and obvious) and direction.
I didn't watch past S1 so I can't fully argue for it, but what I saw was no good.
Also minor things like Sailor Moon stabbing Beryl instead of Venus like in the manga really felt like it defeated the point of Crystal for me. The point was to be more faithful so why deny Venus her greatest moment?

Right oh, thanks.
I tend to have a high threshold for legit shit animation.
>It also is much closer to the manga in feel than to the original anime.
Now that's interesting.

>Now that's interesting.
Well, they did try to adapt the manga more closely, but what said is also true: Crystal did diverge in some aspects that didn't really add to it and more or less were less risky and unconventional than the manga itself was.
Later seasons did get better both in the animation department and when it comes to adaptations. The third season was pretty good, actually. But nothing compared to the original Sailor Moon S.

Watch from the beginning

>I tend to have a high threshold for legit shit animation.
No you don't understand
S1 literally had Rei's face look like a fucking slice of pizza while Usagi is commenting on 'how beautiful' she is

I'd Sailor her Moon if you get what I'm saying.

Considering most of Yea Forums hates Usagi with a passion, no they do not

What is the best torrent, all of the episodes I et are VHS teir with sound disappearing, not even a clean 480p

>slice of pizza
>Usagi is commenting on 'how beautiful'
Figures. Usagi likes food!

>most of Yea Forums hates Usagi with a passion
Bullshit.

>What is the best torrent
Koten_Gars, if available. I think they have the first three seasons.
They do take the best video material they can find and merge it with the best audio they can find.
For the rest, well, probably the version from SMC.

Watch the original anime, as you finish the seasons read the corresponding manga arc.

This. That said, the manga handled the relationship between all of them together better; the anime didn't know how to integrate the other senshi as well.

Attached: 005.jpg (752x1200, 682K)

>as you finish the seasons read the corresponding manga arc.
I actually would discourage anyone from doing that. That anime and manga are different enough to be enjoyed as separate entities. And I guess alternating between the different characterizations can get quite confusing.

>the anime didn't know how to integrate the other senshi as well.
What? If anything, the anime flashed out each of the characters other than Usagi and gave them more of a role in the group. You can argue that the manga's Rei and Minako are somewhat "full" characters, but Ami and Makoto definitely get way less characterizations.
Also, the manga doesn't have any of the slice of life. It was the anime that capitalized on the Usagi/Rei rivalry, that had running jokes like Ami correcting Minako when she "reinterprets" sayings, Makoto and Minako competing for some guy's attention, Haruka making all of them question their sexuality and so on. The anime was full of those combos, the manga rarely ever had them interact, nor did it give any of them much spotlight on their own.

>insane stuff
like what?

I only watched the first season growing up.
Are the following seasons worth getting into?
I remember it being a very charming and enjoyable show, but in retrospect it lacked substance.
Should I give R a try? Ikuhara 's connection to it seems intriguing.

You misunderstand. I meant the manga shows ALL the senshi becoming friends; the anime doesn't. It focuses on a very tight bond between the "inners" and to a lesser extent the "outers", but the two rarely interact outside of crisis. Haruka and Michiru get a few episodes with the others, but that's it.

The anime fleshed out all of the characters (except poor Setsuna), but it didn't integrate them until Stars, and even that was left up for question. Compare that with Michiru and Haruka going to school with Usagi and Setsuna and Hotaru with Chibi-Usa.

Attached: 028.jpg (768x1129, 491K)

>but in retrospect it lacked substance.
Rewatch it.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon - 022 (R2 DVD 480p H264 AAC)[4C3A6E39]-00h20m53s668t.png (640x480, 250K)

why can't anime have legs this nice anymore

>the manga shows ALL the senshi becoming friends; the anime doesn't.
Well, there are a few episodes in the Stars season that did show all of them together. Most specifically the one where Seiya's ChibiChibi/Towel incident happened.
But it is difficult to have 9 or more chracters interacting AND have them be fleshed out individuals at the same time.

>Michiru and Haruka going to school with Usagi and Setsuna and Hotaru with Chibi-Usa.
The anime might not have adapted this exactly, but those relationships where there and even got some focus. Haruka and Michiru had a lot of interactions with Usagi (and the others) individually during the early S season. Pluto/Chibi-Usa was in R, Hotaru/chibi-Usaa in late S.
The problem with the manga was that it was always just with Usagi or Chibi-Usa, we rarely ever saw the others interact with one another when Usagi/Mamoru/Chibi-Usa weren't involved.

>legs this nice
Please don't sexualize the cat.
Thank you.

It's the color tone. The washed out off-white they used today doesn't even look fleshy

Attached: 1556170923730.gif (500x500, 684K)

All I'm saying is that the anime treated the senshi like they were two groups with related goals. The manga didn't; well, once they got their powers back anyway. I liked that detail, that's all. I really liked seeing them play off of each other in Stars.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon Stars 171v2 R2 DVD(H264.AC3)[B1535DE7]-00h13m38s692t.png (640x480, 348K)

>the anime treated the senshi like they were two groups with related goals.
That's a fair assessment, yeah. But I find that that had its own charm. The "outers" were more mature anyway.

It's just bad.

Attached: 1432268860853.jpg (500x373, 32K)

S3 isn't terrible.

SMC

>SMC
Wrong. Koten Gars is better. Compare for yourself if you don't believe me.

The quality, especially in the remasters is top notch...

Attached: [Koten_Gars] Sailor Moon R -The Movie- Promise of the Rose [BD][h.264][1080p][AC3+DTS-HD MA] [2B0500 (1920x1080, 2.27M)

...but I prefer SMC's subtitles. If nothing else the color scheme for each character is much appreciated in a show with such a large cast.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon Stars 186 R2 DVD(H264.AC3)[C9D22348]-00h05m38s921t.png (640x480, 369K)

We're not talking BluRay rips that aren't availabe from Koten Gars anyway. We're talking the regular series. And what is available from them for the DVD rips of the first three seasons is superior both in video and audio quality.

I won't argue that. I wish SMC would just update their batch.

Oh, wait ... Just saw that that is from them. Didn't know they have done the feature films. Gotta look for those now!

>I prefer SMC's subtitles
Fair, but what good are coloured subtitles when you have worse quality? (Also, that level of noise reduction and oversaturation is far too extreme in your screencap ... even though it's luckily not representative of the whole rip, if I remember correctly.)

I have several others on hand for you to judge.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon Stars 197 R2 DVD(H264.AC3)[7D5990D1]-00h08m10s990t.png (640x480, 334K)

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon S The Movie (DVD.H264.AC3) [C186D0B0]-00h49m27s213t.png (1024x576, 2.95M)

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon Stars 181v2 R2 DVD(H264.AC3)[F2549632]-00h02m02s289t.png (640x480, 302K)

>I have several others on hand for you to judge.
Yes, like I said: That first screencap you posted is not representative of the whole thing.
Still, SMC is slightly worse over all.

I'm just bored and want to talk about Sailor Moon.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon R - 078 (R2 DVD 480p H264 AAC)[9ACAA4F7]-00h03m54s692t.png (640x480, 197K)

I've heard later seasons of Crystal are better, but S1 left such a horrible taste behind that I don't even want to check them out
In any case, I don't really see the point when you can just watch the original series

Attached: jesus-christ.jpg (500x281, 51K)

Senshi actually killing Beryl's four commanders
Venus being the one who kills Beryl
Wiseman being even more fucked up guy by doing some Cicolatta shit in Neo Crystal Tokyo
Not even hiding the fact Chibiusa is incestuous towards her father And Mother
The fact the commanders of Professor Tomoe actually stole the bodies they're using and killed the souls of the original hosts
Nehelenia being an actual tragedy instead of just another villain.
And Usagi's final battle against Chaos itself

>Nehelenia being an actual tragedy instead of just another villain.
But that was in the anime too, kinda.

>S1 left such a horrible taste behind
Even the disk releases of the first season are a lot better than what you've probably seen, thougg they are still flawed. Season 3, however, looks great.

Attached: eudial.jpg (1423x1540, 414K)

I watched the original series and felt that it was extremely slow paced and way too formulaic, but I thought the main characters were really cute. Is the manga just more monster of the week shit like the show? I kinda want more of these girls but not if it's all like this.

No it's a lot more streamlined because Toei isn't padding it out.
Like you go from the monster posing as Naru's mom, to Ami, to Rei, to Makoto in like 10-12 chapters

>extremely slow paced
That's what makes it good. You don't always have to rush things, especially not if you care about the characters, which you seem to do.

>way too formulaic
Somewhat. But it more or less invented its formula and refined it over its course. (Admittedly, it took some of it from the 1973 Cutie Honey anime. But that was a sound decision.)
Compared to most anime of its time (and of ours), it isn't all that formulaic, I'd say. Mainly because the formula wasn't the point of its narrative and always provided different settings.

I agree with you, I mean it's like getting into Detective Conan and being bothered it's a case-of-the-week every week
At some point you start getting excited to find out whatever dumb monster they came up with this time, all the while the plot advances slowly
But I can also see not wanting to get into it when it's a thousand episodes of "the same thing"

Attached: shot0443.jpg (480x352, 129K)

>Nehelenia being an actual tragedy instead of just another villain.
The end she got in Stars is just sublime.

Attached: villainesses.jpg (1000x1628, 538K)

That image does not look great at all.

It's digital. Don't expect cel animation. It's better than what you usually get nowadays. Hell, people like to pretend Yuasa's unshaded scribbly rotoscoping looks good. Seasonal shounenshit is oversaturated still pictures and panning shots. We're not in the 90s anymore.
What standards do you want to apply?

I think there are some plot holes in the anime that are better explained by the manga so I think it's worth it to see the real story as it should be happening.

I mean, compare it to something like Haikyuu! or season 1 of One Punch Man and it looks like shit.
This was the remake anime of Sailor Moon, ffs.
Fucking Toei knows the fans will eat shit anyway so they don't put any money on their IPs.

Attached: Crystal - Toei.jpg (1280x720, 171K)

If you read the manga first it's the quickest, then when you watch the first anime it's like getting an extended version. It's fun, though I dislike some characterizations (mainly Rei and Chibiusa).

Do not touch the first two seasons of Crystal with a ten-foot pole. They're so painful to watch it goes past funny and straight into depressing.

Attached: yes there are no frames cut out of this.gif (500x281, 129K)

Is there any stock animation more enjoyable to watch once every episode than Sailor Moon's transformation sequence?

Attached: [Koten_Gars]-Pretty-Guardian-Sailor-Moon---004-[DVD][h.264][480p][AC3]-[7E99BF35].mkv_snapshot_17.55 (720x540, 157K)

I'm fond of her second transformation and the second opening. Pic related.

Attached: usagi op2 runjump.gif (400x300, 723K)

>the real story as it should be happening
Nothing makes the manga more "real" than the anime. And, well, considering that they do tell thinggs very differently, I don't think the manga can sufficiently explain any "plot holes" the anime may or may not have.

>Haikyuu! or season 1 of One Punch Man
Sorry, but you can't just use some of the most high-budget anime of the last few years to call something "bad". Compare it to the average anime and it's way better.

>Fucking Toei knows the fans will eat shit anyway so they don't put any money on their IPs.
Might be true. But the Sailor Moon of the 90s didn't have that high a budget either and they managed.

I think the main problem is that while the original series had its own style, Crystal tried to copy Takeuchi's style from the manga (far too closely in season 1). And that just didn't look that good in animation. Add to that that parts of it seemed rushed (like I've said before, the home release fixed the majority of the badly drawn frames), and you'll get what we got.

Yes: Sailor Venus' transformation sequence!

Attached: venus_henshin.gif (500x350, 964K)

Attached: chrome_38rjQXROS3.png (640x1014, 586K)

Don't you even joke about that.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon SuperS Ami's First Love (DVD.H264.AC3) [4804B302]-00h13m18s463t.png (1024x576, 2.76M)

>Sorry, but you can't just use some of the most high-budget anime of the last few years to call something "bad".
I can use it to debunk you calling crystal as looking "great".
Maybe if you said "great in comparison to mediocre, badly animated things that regularly come out", but when you said "great" I compared it with something that looked great.

Different user, but the first two seasons of Crystal weren't actually the same as Takeuchi's style - they were never able to make the eyes focus on anything, and a ton of the expressiveness is gone. The heads are really grey-alien shaped too.

Also the Blu-ray only fixed the off-model shots by making them on-model. That does nothing to fix the the terrible animation and writing. Crystal defenders still ignore this.

Season 3 was a godsend, but that was only because of how it was in comparison to the first two seasons. It was just okay.

Attached: bookbag bounce.gif (400x225, 1.8M)

>I can use it to debunk you calling crystal as looking "great".
No, you can't. That's stupid. If I say "My colleague is a great sprinter over 100 meters." you can't just say "No, he isn't. Look how much better Usain Bolt is!".
That's stupid and that you argue like that in this case shows that you are heavily biased.

>the first two seasons of Crystal weren't actually the same as Takeuchi's style
No, they weren't. But it's obvious that they tried to make them look like it: Slender body types, narrow faces, thin, somewhat fluid lines. It didn't work, that's why it ended up looking all over the place. Season 3 is far further from that immitation style, and that paid off.

>That does nothing to fix the the terrible animation and writing.
It fixes part of the animation. And, no, not the writing, but I didn't ever claim that it did.

>incestuous
how far does it go in the manga?

>that's why it ended up looking all over the place
Not exactly. There are a lot of edits that show that the eyes were way off. They fucked up big.

Attached: M5UbyCI.jpg (1023x1448, 220K)

>If I say "My colleague is a great sprinter over 100 meters." you can't just say "No, he isn't. Look how much better Usain Bolt is!".
Except in this example Crystal would be a college project by some rookie amateur animators.
If you compare a professional sprinter who is much slower than Bolt with him, that's a completely legit comparison.

And Crystal is a product made by pros and backed by a huge animation studio.

Farther than you think, but less than you hope

>Except in this example Crystal would be a college project by some rookie amateur animators.
No, it wouldn't, retard. Animation and visuals in season 3 are above average for anime. That's not "a college project".

>If you compare a professional sprinter who is much slower than Bolt with him, that's a completely legit comparison.
So what? I wasn't doing that when I called it great. And you know that. There can be more "great" sprinters than just the top five world championship participants.

You are arguing dishonestly and with an agenda, and at this point I don't think it's any use continuing this discussion anymore, as no matter what I say, you will just deflect.

>They fucked up big.
I won't deny that.

I liked Crystal.

There is honestly no way you can legitimately argue that Crystal S3 looks great by any means without comparing it with shit.
You didn't even reply to when I matched it to Haikyuu. Maybe if I compare it to fucking K-On?
"Oh, but those have MONEY"
Yeah. And care. And talent.

I love the transformation music, it's always enjoyable and ingrained in my heart. Mina Master Race.

Attached: 1443337092294.png (640x480, 561K)

Fuck off, shithead. You're just a desparate hater who doesn't know what "great" or "above average" mean. You've probably never even seen season 3 because you dropped it a few episodes into season 1. That's your right to do, but then don't go on applying the highest standards available.
With your kind of rhetoric we might as well argue that the original Sailor Moon anime looked like shit - because there were Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Plastic Little and so on.

As I said, you're dishonest, have an agenda to sell Crystal as way worse than it was (as a whole), are unable to even recognize that it got better and are overly aggressive about all of it. Let's drop this here and now - this "discussion" is not going anywhere.

>As I said, you're dishonest, have an agenda to sell Crystal as way worse than it was
Oh, yeah; I'm out to slander the good reputation of an anime that was critically acclaimed for its beautiful animation.
Surely no one ever watched season 3 and that's why they all hate it.

Dude, the worst episodes of Jojo part 1 are on par with Crystal season 3 animationwise, and those are the worst-looking ones.

Attached: 1539440313091.jpg (720x540, 92K)

Strawmanning now: I've never said that Crystal was "acclaimed for it's bautiful animotion". Please just fuck off. This is my last reply to your cheap bait.

I would do anything to be kidnapped by the Witches 5 and forced to play Twister with them.

Attached: 56942243908.jpg (1152x648, 88K)

Eudial > Viluy >>> Teruru > Chptrin + Prtrlilol >>> Mimet

Attached: Witches.5.full.2125175.jpg (1356x2044, 574K)

>literal Snail-Lady lover

Attached: 5464563673874.jpg (200x221, 8K)

Just look at Viluy's right arm and tell me that looks great.
Look at that great "painting only the lower lip" technique. Awesome work.

What can I say? I like girls that are empty-headed bimbos ...

Didn't I tell you to fuck off? Shall we take apart any other anime frame by frame? You are such an obvious shitposter. Why don't you go to one of those OPM complaint threads? I'm sure they'd enjoy your company over there.

Tellu Master Race.

Attached: Tellu.full.1483100.jpg (800x800, 177K)

>Tellu Master Race.
She does get bonus points for killing the brainless bitch.

Eudial is great taste.

She's the most elegant by far. And by elegant I mean "gracefully dorky".

Attached: ep109_cute_witch.webm (640x480, 472K)

>elegant
Only of the Witches 5 though.

Attached: 275033a2a38f9d11969766a670dcf02e.jpg (1341x2052, 403K)

>Only of the Witches 5 though.
Arguable. I can't bring myself to see Kaorinaito as anything but a irredeamable selfish bitch for how she treated Hotaru.

As if I'd let you keep shitting the thread with your Crystal bullshit.
Go ahead, post the best selected frames you've got from S3 or a webm.
Surely it'll hold up scrutiny by anyone.

The thread's moved on, shithead. You're the only one still obsessively talking about Crystal and "shitting up the thread".

It's just something I made up in my head, but I like to imagine that when Tellu pulled the plug on Mimet, the place Mimet was banished to was in fact the internet and that even now Mimet is shitposting in Sailor Moon threads. Besides, there are few places to be banished to that are worse than the internet.

I'm very sure that it was Eudial in episode 108 who awakened my love for cheongsam!

Attached: 49958186_p0.jpg (800x1100, 50K)

>now Mimet is shitposting in Sailor Moon threads
That would explain a lot ...

Attached: 53712239_p3.jpg (500x500, 181K)

youtube.com/watch?v=b-44V8P3ySo

>Besides, there are few places to be banished to that are worse than the internet.
Ain't that us though? It ain't like any of us are leaving anytime soon.

Luna's "slutreplik"? Swedish is a funny language!

Someone did a supercut of the Senshi and Witches 5 battling, mostly from Crystal. It had Ai no Senshi playing in the background.

I can't find it, does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was probably taken down.

Sorry, no idea. But have a bit of fanart as consolation.

Attached: 45962131_p0.jpg (2480x3508, 1.86M)

Jokes on you, Cat. I can always simply kill myself.

Can we all agree that this was the best episode of Sailor Moon?

You mean the best episode of Sailor Moon Crystal, I assume?
Because there were way better episodes in the original series. Like the infamous episode 108 that I mentioned up here: A lot of great episodes around it as well! The whole stretch from 100 (Usagi's birthday) to 110 (the end of the Eudial run) was pretty consistently great.

No, I'm talking about episode 117, the track and field episode from the original series.

Attached: mimete-ok.png (705x526, 515K)

The U-Ndoukai episode? She was cute. And it had some nice rare character moments for Hotaru. Yeah, that one's also pretty good.

You know how in the anime Black Lady kissing Tuxedo Mask was a hallucination?
It actually happens in the manga

>Black Lady kissing Tuxedo Mask
Well, Chibi-Usa also dated a horse with a phallic symbol on its head. She's basically "Psychoanalysis 101".

This pose got to me every time

Attached: rainbow moon heartache.png (1212x674, 897K)

Original>Manga>Crystal

Sailor Moon is one of those rare times you get to have your cake and eat it too, the anime has some of the best filler in any anime, the manga has the batshit crazy hax powers and stuff. Crystal is the manga adaptation so you don't miss out if you don't watch it.

Nehelenia in the manga is just Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty and I am not fucking joking.

>Gets pissed she doesn't get invited to princess's birthday party

>Puts curse on said princess like a bitch

Start at Sailor V, the prequel. Then go straight into Sailor Moon manga. Don't watch the anime.

Sailor Moon has some of the most beautiful backgrounds and art in any anime.
sailormoonscenery.tumblr.com/

Original is best by far. I’m on Sailor Moon S at the moment, and I’m just in love with all of the characters and the Juban area in general. I’m just worried that I’m at peak Sailor Moon and that it’s all just going to be downhill from here

This is true.

This is a lie.

SuperS can be a bit of a drag, but Stars is pretty good. SuperS is better appreciated too, if you go back and read the Dream arc to understand all the plot points the anime left out.

MERCURY!
MERCURY!
MERCURY!

The manga is bad and Crystal is a faithful and accurate adaptation that properly represents its character and quality, albeit with some janky artwork and animation.
The 90s anime is like a template for the creative and fun magical girl anime Toei could have made had they not been held back by having to adapt a shit manga and only mostly having freedom to exercise their talent and creativity. Still generally a good time though.

The sailor moon anime just feels like it was going off the style of the sailor v manga.