Psychology and Mental Illness in Anime and Manga

Why are so few Anime and manga about mental illness? Is it a disinterest in psychological elements or a unfamiliarity with them? Or is that it is just overly prominent in Western works?

Attached: bore.png (1237x1037, 1006K)

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/anime/27911/Anime_de_Wakaru_Shinryounaika
upstate.edu/psych/pdf/szasz/pies-50years-myth-mental-illness.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Uzx2UWKvrM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I see a lot of examples in many manga, like here, Gon is a text-book sociopath:
>Repeated violations of the law
>Physical aggressiveness
>Reckless disregard for safety of self or others
>Consistent irresponsibility in work and family environments
>Lack of remorse

''While the traits of each may seem similar, it is thought that sociopaths have a less severe form of lack of empathy and lack of guilt. It is thought that sociopaths may be able to form some deep bonds (such as, possibly, with family) while a psychopath cannot.''
''while a sociopath would feel no guilt about hurting a stranger, they may feel guilt and remorse over hurting someone with which they share a bond''

Attached: 1537313698917.jpg (500x400, 186K)

That's simply implied. Also sociopathy and psychopathy is a overused. 90% of villains are on some level sociopathic

That's just how children act nibba

Western ideas of mental illness don't exist in Japan.

Welcome to the nhk, possibly?

this

Attached: 1555789798756.jpg (2972x3232, 2.27M)

That was only for the anime adaptation. He was a shut in but the hallucinations were from drug abuse

Attached: maxresdefault (3).jpg (1280x720, 62K)

Death Note and Liar Game had psychology

>i think he's gonna think this because he thinks i think this
So deep

Hallucinations were the least of his problems.

Attached: loli-pedo.webm (640x360, 2.79M)

Attached: 1961.jpg (600x414, 111K)

Now swap the faces with L and Light and we're good

Attached: HUd6Al1.gif (470x264, 480K)

Is the word pedophilia taboo in japan or is it a translation thing because this is the first time I've seen it in anime?

I watched a lot of anime, but what is this from?

there are shit tons of anime and manga that deal with psychology and mental illness
psycho-pass is easiest to digest since it deals with a society that thrives solely because it found a way to quantify a person's psychological condition

>Why are so few Anime and manga about mental illness
Because anime is a mental disease

based

That's less about mental illness and more about mental state.

Watch Golden Time. Every significant character except Oka is in need of a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Everything by Yoshiyuki Tomino since Zambot 3.

it had everything to do with mental illness because all mentally ill were removed from society or killed
it also illustrated in the first episode how a temporary state of duress and have some one pegged as "mentally ill" and worthy of killing or removal from society

Yeah that's a good example. It was interesting watching him revert back to a co-dependent buffoon

myanimelist.net/anime/27911/Anime_de_Wakaru_Shinryounaika
I think it's more pedophilia often being sugarcoated as lolicon because it often leads to the Age vs Body type argument. Pedophilia makes it clear that you mean age.

Attached: 1558597365526.jpg (1920x1080, 387K)

based

At least he got a gf

It's just not a very well known word over there

Because “mental illnesses” don’t actually exist even in reality and psychology is a pseudoscience.

I'm more talking about more neurologically accepted concepts like schizophrenia.

Thanks.

Because it is too risky to produce.
The difficulty at portraying mental illness in any media isn’t worth it for many businesses because if they get the slightest thing wrong they will end up making the media product either extremely cringey or condescending towards people who genuinely are diagnosed.

Look at the Joker as a portrayal of Insanity in media. He is so over the top that the character spawned its own sarcastic imitation through the gamers rise up meme.

Tl;dr it is extremely hard to pull off properly and the reward is not worth it

Kiryu Setsuna from Kengan Asura is an excellent example of mental illness done right, at least in regards to how it affects said character.

Attached: Kiryu.jpg (225x350, 37K)

Twice in BnHA had that trauma until recently

Pic related and Homunculus are the only good ones

Attached: bscap0001yc.jpg (722x406, 135K)

What is pic related and gimme a tldw on what its about

Pretty much every cult classic out there has that stuff. Read more manga and VNs.

Anyone else reading this shit?

Attached: 1530621740937.jpg (1500x2133, 1.15M)

there shouldn't be anime or manga about "mental illness", because there is no such thing
there is nothing pathological about anything anyone calls mental illness, and instead it is a term used simply to describe aberrant behavior and to justify the desire to normalize that behavior in the eyes of the people who'd invoke that term

upstate.edu/psych/pdf/szasz/pies-50years-myth-mental-illness.pdf

It's hard to write a good story around one without coming off as extremely cringeworthy. It requires deep knowledge of human psychology, some measure of empathy for the emotions and psychological states being written about, and a really good narrative sense on the side to keep a story that doesn't involve tons of combat or supernatural elements full of tension. I honestly can't even think of a 10/10 example, everything that makes a good attempt at it fucks up somehow, like Punpun and Monster

The main reason is that some of them aren't as profitable as Shounen anime that would be an understatement to say Shounen doesn't have psychology. A few shounen like HxH and One Piece have psychological elements. Psychological animes are made every year and sometimes references to the study are put subtly in animes of other genres.
I would suggest u Eva , Lain and the Monogatari series.

>what are brain scans

I think Inside Mari does an interesting job

that linked article is wonderful and you only have to read three pages before the topic you just broached is addressed

A brain disease that causes a neurological problems can still be classified as a mental illness. Also Thomas Szasz was a hack.

>about mental illness
Because it's fucking boring. All motivations and behaviours of a character would just be attributed to le meme illness. That doesn't make for an interesting character or good story if it's too prominent.

>If all the "conditions" now called "mental illnesses" proved to be brain diseases, there would be no need for the notion of mental illness and the term would become devoid of meaning. However, because the term refers to the judgments of some persons about the (bad) behaviors of other persons, the opposite is what actually happens: The history of psychiatry is the history of an ever-expanding list of "mental disorders.
the term mental illness doesn't serve any function if it's synonymous with neurological damage from injury or pathogens, and descriptively that's simply not how the word is used in psychiatry or in colloquial language my dude

What's the actual point, if you would be so kind? I'm a few pages in to this and so far none of what's been said argues against the concept of mental illness, only how the term is used.

You sound like you're making your undergraduate thesis about anime
Make sure to acknowledge anons and put me in the screenie

I agree with you in that respect, but I don't see a reason for you to bring this up now. Although the argument for chemical imbalances in the brain to cause symptoms similar to those found with neurological damage shouldn't be entirely disregarded.

What makes you say that?

on page 2:
>My claim that mental illnesses are fictitious illnesses is also not based on scientific research; it rests on the materialist-scientific definition of illness as a pathological alteration of cells, tissues, and organs. If we accept thisscientific definition of disease, then it follows that mental illness is a metaphor, and that asserting that view is stating ananalytic truth, not subject to empirical falsification
the objection - which is stated many times - is that people are using "mental illness" as a cover to further their own careers and to force simple coercive solutions to problems they have with other people's behavior based on that falsity

page 8:
>For Szasz, who has continued to uphold these opinions for the last forty years, mental illness is not a disease, whose nature is being elucidated by science; it is rather a myth, fabricated by psychiatrists for reasons of professional advancement and endorsed by society because it sanctions easy solutions for problem people

>mental illness thread
>no mention of trail of blood
shame on you all

Attached: 4L_ox9P3Xx4.png (789x1200, 176K)

Freesia is pretty good. I can't explain it, it's like an insane person inside an insane world, but he's really insane.

Attached: 1547478969147.png (761x1099, 731K)

>but I don't see a reason for you to bring this up
because the term "mental illness" is abused in order to deprive people of moral responsibility for their own actions (see the "insanity defense") or often to deprive people through coercion of their physical freedom by imprisoning them against their wills "for treatment", which is unconscionably awful

misconceptions abound on this topic, and these societal misconceptions serve to let horrible things transpire under the pretenses of being "medically sanctioned"

I wrote a whole Law paper on the insanity defence and it isn't a get a jail free deal and the institutions they get sent to aren't from the 1950s. You still go to prison and it is only ever successfully 1% of the time it's allowed t o be envoked. A culprit being mentally diseased causing automatism in their actions is when a non-guilty verdict is put in question. The mental state of the party is put into question, the term mental illness is not preferred; mentally diseased, or cognitively impaired as a result of illness is what is used in the legal world. Mental illness is only really brought up in criminal law when determining things like excessive force or self defence claims

The ideas are things I can agree with, but I don't see how the term mental illness is at fault for these things. It doesn't quite follow to go from "quacks and bureaucrats are gay" and "medication won't heal your soul" to "mental illness isn't real".

He seems to be suggesting that the term itself implicitly asserts the legitimacy of "big pharma" or whatever you'd like to call it. Even if that's true, which I'm not convinced it is, I don't see how that delegitimizes the term itself.

Because Japan's understanding of psychology is about 20 years behind the west's.

And psychology is hard to translate across cultures, what is considered normal behavior in one society is abnormal in another, etc

That's why i posted Aku no Hana. Shuuzou Oshimi does mental illness stuff really well with stuff like Inside Mari

Attached: 1.png (653x907, 482K)

the objection isn't to how the insanity plays out in courts as a descriptive matter, it's an objection to the acceptance of an insanity defense in principle - in any context - on the grounds that it is dehumanizing and destructive to human social relations by normalizing the notion that people can simply be declared by "professional" judgement to not be responsible for what they did in fact do

Attached: 2.png (657x991, 688K)

>I don't see how the term mental illness is at fault for these things
it's not the term itself - terms by themselves don't do anything, after all - but how it's used (abused) for the reasons previously stated

>He seems to be suggesting that the term itself implicitly asserts the legitimacy of "big pharma" or whatever you'd like to call it
no, it's just used as a cover for a pseudo-scientific profession

Multiple personality disorder,

Attached: Elfen_Lied-Lucy-anime-anime_girls-pink_hair-748x468.jpg (748x468, 33K)

Thread should have been over once this was mentioned.

Call me lazy but here's the final paragraph from a law dissertation i wrote when i was 18. It's not very good but it brings my point across. I forgot how bad i was at writing:

The conclusion of the points covered throughout the dissertation makes it clear that the insanity plea is both a valid and progressive defence that has bases in both morality and logic, and that the abolition of the defence would bring society further away from enlightenment and fairness in court. Through the fundamentals that make up of the legal system, such as the elements of criminal law, the aims of punishment, and the goals of justice, abolishing the insanity defence would betray all these ideas, as the insanity defence not only focuses on the rehabilitation of the mentally crazed and the protection of the innocent, without it, and defences like it, those who cannot control their actions would be incarcerated22 as guilty, despite their lack a sufficient mens rea11 and inability to discern right from wrong6, and protecting those who cannot protect themselves from injustice is a moral obligation of civilisation. Keeping the insanity defence also has long term benefits beyond those of compassion.

second half:

As medical technology continues to bring us closer to understanding the brain, we might soon be able to use the advancements made afterwards to not only conclusively determine insanity13 in a defence but also how to treat those afflicted more effectively. As medical and psychiatric evidence continues to increase in use in deciding insanity cases12, 19, and as the technology improves, its function shall follow. This potential for improvement would resolve the doubts people have on insanity24 and mental illness and improving their rehabilitation, as keeping the insanity defence ensures for a more seemliness introduction of such technology in to courts that help determine other factors in a crime19. The insanity defence is not a tool for escaping justice, nor does it violate23 the civil rights of competent defendants29, 30. The insanity plea is a progressive defence that separates those who choose to commit crimes and those who cannot choose*, aiming to treat and rehabilitate the sick, not punish them21. If the insanity defence were abolished, justice and fairness would be unachievable in court, as if the sick were condemned as criminals with such iniquity, where else could justice be found if not in the treatment of the mentally afflicted?

it's not a valid defense, it's special pleading in the extreme

search "psychological", easy, isn't it?

Attached: 1558898940369.jpg (400x400, 20K)

here's a great video on the topic
Buckley is an awful person, but they broach the topic of the insanity defense during the conversation and perhaps it's easier for you to hear a conversation than to read an essay
often that's the case for me

Because society at large prefers to ignore mental illness.

People are extremely predisposed to distance themselves from anyone suffering from mental illness. People don't like thinking about things like that.

All you can really expect from writers is lazy writing, making characters who are 'crazy' in order to excuse the fact that the character's actions make no sense.

do we live in a society?

>not a single fucking mention of Oyasumi Punpun

Attached: Hey.jpg (184x184, 4K)

yeah and most of it's just about mind games

Aku no Hana made me hard as diamons. Does Oshimi have other works you'd easily recommend?

That's not mental illness, that's becoming a pingu.

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and Solo Exchange Diary are still the best representation of depression because it’s actually written by someone with depression and it’s super relatable

If deferred responsibility is the concern, what circumstances do make it acceptable to defer responsibility, if ever? It's generally accepted to do so for minors, but why? Age is just a number. What does the 18th birthday confer to a person to justify declaring them fully culpable for their entire existence? Either minors are fully culpable as well and we've arbitrarily determined that they are worthy of mercy despite this, or life is largely deterministic, and justice systems/other punitive things only exist to legitimize authorities at the expense of those in the wrong place at the wrong time

There's plenty, you just need to dig deeper. You rarely find heavy themes in anime, you'll have to start looking into manga and especially VNs.
The latter is in my opinion the best way to explore this theme, due to the first person perspective. Off the top of my head, Tsukihime and Subahibi were excellent mental illness simulators.

I finished subahibi recently and I had a great time with it. It was fucked up in all the right ways with many exceptions. My favorite though will always be Higurashi.

Disappointed this hasn't come up yet.

Attached: irabu.jpg (1366x768, 91K)

Other than Inside Mari, Happiness recently concluded and Trail of Blood is picking up.

Aku no Hana. But I agree w u OP

This is way too trippy for Yea Forums, despite being literally about a crazy doctor treating psychological disorders.

Try actually looking at the thread.

>Psychology and Mental Illness in Anime and Manga

none
I used the words "in any context" extremely intentionally

what we do when we talk about minors is not a deferment of responsibility - it is simply to treat them differently, and often to address part of our complaints about problematic behavior they might be performing toward their parents or adults in their lives
I'll use an example to highlight this distinction, because I've found that it's not intuitive to people when just stated:

say a 10-year old breaks your neighbor's flowerpot (intentionally or unintentionally)
that 10 year old is responsible for breaking your neighbor's flowerpot - they own the whole of the responsibility for that act, since it was they that did it
now, we'll typically respond to that 10 year old's act very differently than we would respond to a man of 40 years doing the same thing - typically we're more forgiving towards children than towards adults
but we will also typically direct some (or even more) of our attention toward that child's parent, and that happens for many reasons, among which is a *separate* understanding that while the child is responsible for breaking the flower pot that the parents are responsible to others when their children cause those others trouble

so it's not a deferment of responsibility at all that ever occurs, but simply that people are responsible for their own actions and activities and it's all descriptively and morally seperable

What I like about Akita’s no Hana is the less obvious parts about its characterisation, such as the themes of Stockholm syndrome or co-dependency, and I think the author betrayed the narratives themes by the, in my opinion, unnatural happy ending.

another paradigmatic example in the context of moral separability is a person's hiring a hitman

when a person hires a hitman, they are morally responsible for attempting to goad another person to murder someone
if the hitman offs that someone, they are responsible for murdering that person

the hiring of a hitman and the hitman murdering someone are separate actions from distinct moral agents who bear the full responsibility for their own actions, not each other's
note that the consequence of recognizing this distinction is not saying anything about how either should be responded to - people often conflate pointing this out with some kind of advocacy of treating the person who did the hiring "more lightly", when no judgement about how you treat people's bad behavior is being made here

The author did say that the latter half where the MC practically reintegrates into society is actually the part he wanted to write, mainly based on his own experiences. I don't really fault him for that especially since it was his endgame from the start (not to mention the internal conflicts involving the new love interest was actually convincing).

I’ve made threads about this before but even if it was the authors intentions I believe the outcome didn’t fit the character narrative created. Aku no Hana is like a reverse teen angst story. Instead of growing and creating bonds, the characters devolve and regress and lose their friends. Kasuga and Nakamura’s relationship became so codependent that they are incapable of reintegrating into society and would become outcasts together. Kasuga is so obsessed with Nakamura and that being separated from her leaves him hollow. The story follows themes of stagnation and even though he leaves the rusting town, nothing truly changes, as it is simply their flawed characters that causes their misfortune. I understand the desire for a happy ending but i dont think it was appropriate. I believe upon reuniting, Kasuga should have rejected Tokiwa and pursued Nakamura’s abuse and manipulation as it is what completed him, dooming them to continue to stagnate in isolated misery.

Mental illnesss awareness is still taboo in asia

Mental illnesses don't exist outside of the joke that is the west

for all the negative aspects of asian culture, not adopting the notion of mental illness as a diffuser of people's moral responsibility would be good, but I don't know that such is even the case
Chinese culture at least has a long history of pathologizing aberrant behavior

Anime starring hikkikomori kinda are about that, like NHK. However no one wants a story actually focusing/describing traits of particular mental illnesses. That's best left in documentaries. Furthermore Japan sweeps their mentally ill under the rug. They support physically disabled, but mentally disabled are an embarrassment to them.

>Or is that it is just overly prominent in Western works?
What, it's not, other than stuff like identifying a disorder of why a criminal kills and maybe some indie autistic child films. There's never gonna be a downie MC in Hollywood or whatever. The only autistic big budget MC I can think of is Scamander Newt, but he's more just awkward and JK Rowling pulls a 'btw he's autistic' card. The story's not about his brain though. There's no cartoons or cape comics focusing about that either.

The west love psychological factors, like amnesia, split personality disorder, hallucination, paranoia.

>they are incapable of reintegrating into society and would become outcasts together
I disagree. The end of the first half literally pointed against this, wherein Nakamura recognized that Kasuga didn't have the same issues as her. In fact, it's the very reason why she pushed him off from their suicide pact, because she knew that Kasuga wasn't nearly as far gone as she initially projected. The author makes a point about separating Kasuga's kindness from actual codependency.

>The story follows themes of stagnation and even though he leaves the rusting town, nothing truly changes, as it is simply their flawed characters that causes their misfortune.
Untrue and I completely disagree that nothing changed with Kasuga's mental state.

Kasuga's development with Tokiwa allowed him to rekindle his love for books and view his creative interest in a new light. Part of his transformation with Nakamura allowed him to be more honest with himself without any pretenses, but it also led him down a path of self-destruction. Similarly, his initial crush towards Saeki conformed to his rosy image of what society desires from people. In light of these two connections, his development with Tokiwa actually creates the most believable compromise in regards to his growth as a person, wherein Kasuga realizes that integrating into society has its own merits while allowing himself to indulge in his desires and creative impulses is something that shouldn't be suppressed just because society said so.

Also it's not as if it's all just daisies and roses, the author even said that had Kasuga continued with his relationship Nakamura, they both would have died due its destructive nature. It's the very reason why Tokiwa was introduced since she served as the catalyst to Kasuga's self-acceptance of his desires at a tempered level.

I disagree that the outcome didn't fit the narrative, especially when the failed suicide pact between Nakamura and Kasuga already hinted towards this direction.

As does Japan. They have plenty of psychological horror/thriller games and films themselves. But none of that focuses on the specifics of mental illnesses, which seems to be what OP is asking. If he is instead asking for the standard psychological genre then he is a newfag and this is a thinly veiled recommendation thread.

I am OP and i do believe that Japan has far fewer examples with aspects like slip personality disorder, schizophrenia. They exist, but are not as prevalent as in the west.

Kara no Kyoukai is basically a whole show about super-powered mentally ill individuals with the MC having multiple personality disorder. It's worth noting though that their issues are also tied to spirituality and the soul, based on a combination of Christianic and Buddhist concepts.

I’m afraid I disagree with your interpretation. Kasuga being pushed ways was because Nakamura wanted to spare him, however Kasuga desired this and this rejection hurt him as he had made peace with his progression as a person (smiling at the flower). This rejection is what turns him from reading, which is only rekindled by Tokiwa, who is a stand in for Nakamura who he is still obsessed with (seeing her face in others).

Kasuga’s mental state undergoes a great deal of change throughout the story, as his arrogance and irritability accelerate upon interacting with Nakamura, and he becomes obsessed with her and her happiness, so much so he rejects he muse Saeki, who to him represents indulgence and society. Kasuga is at first reluctant to Nakamura’s plans as he resists considerable. As it progresses he is torn between Nakamura and Saeki as seen on mountain where he eventually chooses Nakamura. He eventually falls for Nakamura and willingly gets abducted by her and agrees to the suicide pact. Kasuga’s obsession and flaws drives his friends away and strains his relationship with his parents.

Kasuga’s discontent after the failed suicide attempt and moving away and his still prominent desire to be with Nakamura is what shows the fatality of their relationship, and the inevitability of Kasuga and Nakamura’s self-destructive demands.

*self-destructive demise

The word "pedo" is used to mean toddlercon in Japanese.

Tsukihime is a million times better at showcasing madness.

>toddlercon

Attached: ED99AA5E-996D-4EBB-ACF4-4E6F007281D7.jpg (900x1600, 51K)

This, Japanese don't take mental illness seriously. Anime and manga has tons of characters that can be described as mentally ill, but they're written this way for the entertaining factor or as a fetish of sort.

No doubt, but OP asked for mental illness, which Kara no Kyoukai offers plenty of variations throughout.

His discontent with the suicide pact is very much informed by Nakamura's rejection but you fail to realize that Kasuga overcomes this by the alternative perspective of his creative endeavors prompted by Tokiwa, serving as an outlet for his impulses.

>This rejection is what turns him from reading, which is only rekindled by Tokiwa,
Not true, Kasuga didn't start reading again until AFTER meeting Tokiwa, not because of the rejection from Nakamura. He had fully rejected reading even past the failed suicide pact with Nakamura, but it was Tokiwa who helped him rekindle his interest and allowed him to look at his old hobby in a less negative light. It's the point behind his new understanding of the book "Flowers of Evil".

>who is a stand in for Nakamura who he is still obsessed with (seeing her face in others).
Which is part of the point of his character arc in recognizing Tokiwa as a different person with similar issues. Kasuga is shown to have these issues as part of the fallout he had with Nakamura. Him confronting his fears and actually engaging with Tokiwa in a productive manner is what helps him overcome his obsession, allowing him to move forward and make peace with his past by engaging those he had initially chosen to forget about.

>Kasuga’s discontent after the failed suicide attempt and moving away and his still prominent desire to be with Nakamura is what shows the fatality of their relationship, and the inevitability of Kasuga and Nakamura’s self-destructive demands.
Except you still fail to realize that Tokiwa's introduction serves to offer a new perspective that actually allows Kasuga to move past his obsessive relationship with Nakamura. The author even makes a point about this by making Kasuga's rehabilitation key to his narrative as it provides a path of recovery that purposely differentiates Tokiwa from Nakamura in the end.

>This rejection is what turns him from reading
I realized I misread your point here and that we actually agree about Tokiwa rekindling said interest in reading but I'd like to iterate that Kasuga had already turned from reading even well before the rejection with Nakamura. The fact that Tokiwa rekindles his interest in such a different way from his initial years in middle school is a purposeful distinction that leads to his recovery.

But this is where i disagree with the author. I enjoy Aku no Hana because it allows for interpretation but my stance disregards much of the second act. While Tokiwa was introduced as a means to Kasuga to grow, I believe the early themes of the manga established that stagnation was a primal theme. I misremembered about when he stopped reading, but it was still his obsession with Nakamura that caused it and his devolution as a person.

What you say isn’t wrong, it was the authors intentions and is what is most explicitly displayed. However I would still stand to claim that the authors ending betrayed the themes and early narrative in order to produce a happier ending. I believe this resulted in an anticlimactic and unfulfilling conclusion but not in the tragic sense. I think Kasuga pursuing Nakamura would have been more in line with his character and would have allowed for a cyclical theme that would have fitted the ideas of stagnation regression prevalent throughout the story.

You're not wrong in thinking what you're thinking though, and the author even acknowledges this part about Kasuga, which is why he even introduced Tokiwa to place Kasuga onto a path of recovery that wouldn't have easily happened had Tokiwa not existed at all.

The key point here is that it only seems like a betrayal specifically because recovery runs counter to the narrative behind Nakamura and Kasuga's relationship (which took up half the series). The author outright acknowledges this, which is why he purposely planned out the second half as dealing with Kasuga's recovery and rehabilitation from his relationship with Nakamura.

I don't think it betrays Kasuga's character at all, since Tokiwa is a completely different stimulus that served to change Kasuga's perspective in life and she allowed him to acknowledge his faults in a positive way. Like the author said, had Kasuga remained with Nakamura till the end, his ending would be exactly what you're projecting for his character, so you're not even wrong in this regard. I'd argue that it's not that the author betrays that part of his character, rather the author had a very specific priority in creating a narrative that eventually leads to the main character's self-recovery and acceptance as part of his dynamic character arc.

Besides, the "happy" memories projected in the ending isn't even real, it's just Kasuga's dream of what could potentially happen in the future. Arguably, the story really ended when Kasuga was able to reconcile with Nakamura as his new self with Tokiwa by his side. The rest feel more like an epilogue that serves to highlight Kasuga's interest in creative writing and newfound positivity in his future.

Lame

were I him I'd have hard time controlling myself not to rape Nakamura

Mental illnesses as in real diagnosed ones, are chemical imbalances in the brain and the way it functions, it's not diferent than someone being diabetic for example, it's something people literally can't control without medical care and they most likely wont be able to fit into society otherwise, lacking awareness for this makes it harder to get treatment which is not a good thing, that along other shitty aspects of their society makes the suicide rates be so high

a mental illness is not real by virtue of a person making a "diagnosis" of one
I would really encourage you to watch this video - the conversation really penetrates this whole subject

Most of the high school melodrama genre wouldn't function properly if you acknowledged mental illness

Buckley was an idiot who's two greatest contributions to American culture was a book where he unwittingly described his inability to understand the building blocks of modern scientific development that created the prosperity he enjoyed and being the inspiration for GI Joe's Cobra Commander.

Buckley wasn't an idiot, he was an elitist tool
he was not unintelligent

you're not watching that video for Buckley, but for the guests

His criticism of Ivy League Universities amounted to that they taught from a non-Christian perspective even though the student body was Christian. Not understanding that they and modern scientific thought was derived from centuries of development from a basis of Christian and Greco-Roman philosophy that had changed with new discoveries with world-changing inventions attached, and so could not be tied to immutable dogma.
Even if scientists often treated their favorite theories and ideas as immutable facts.

And the fact that the universities were secular and not theological institutes.

I'm not going to defend Buckley because I really don't like him - though he's interesting to listen to - although I think the particular things you're leveling against him aren't what I would choose to disparage him over

that video linked is a good conversation

Anime about Mental Illness already existed for a very long time

It's called HOMOSEXUALITY

>Happiness
Is the Mangastream translation the only complete one?

/thread

>anime
>psychology

Attached: Sigmund_Freud,_by_Max_Halberstadt_(cropped).jpg (1647x2240, 1.21M)

Come on, I know its easy to dismiss mental illnesses, and I do agree that mental health awareness is starting to circle back into being a negative thing to an extent here, but if there's one legitimately positive thing to say about Western society, it's how mental health is viewed, especially relative to the non-Western world, even the non-Western countries in question are considered first-world counties, like Japan.

Okay

I’d rather be raped by her

and redpilled

What the fuck is this girl problem? I suspect that she is only larping as a psycho to be noticed by her narcisist psychopath crush, which in a sense is also a mental illness.

>textbook sociopath
I don't know since when exactly, but there's currently no serious textbook that includes a diagnosis for "sociopathy"
the closest equivalent today is called antisocial personality disorder, and it can't be formally diagnosed to someone younger than 18 years old
plus everyone violates the law, is physically aggressive and reckless in HxH and in most shounens so those can hardly be considered symptoms
tl;dr read an actual textbook

>mental disorders don't even exist lmao, like, it's not as hydrogen bonds exist, chemistry isn't a hard science either so, I mean, come on, schizophrenia doesn't have a known neurological basis so it can't exist amirite

even dumber, he's pushing a teleological argument for it

good post

>a diffuser of people's moral responsibility
you're drinking the media Kool Aid if you believe it's the norm for people affected by mental disorders to be dangerous to others
one criteria for almost all diagnosis of a mental disorder is that it causes a significant distress in the patient or it compromises their functioning significantly, it's not even 1% of people affected by a mental disorder who are dangerous to others, and the point prevalence of all mental disorders who show a significant (still not strong) correlation with violence is lower than .01% in the western world

the only time i've ever seen it done in a way that wasn't some mexican soap opera tier melodrama is probably paranoia agent

They're not extremely common but they're out there. Oyasumi Punpun for manga and the Monogatari series for anime are fairly high profile ones that handle it pretty well.

Attached: 1558555875446.jpg (720x1280, 125K)

>Monogatari series
How the hell can I forget this? Yeah, Monogatari is basically mental illness the show by way of supernatural explanations but it still uses a lot of scenarios and issues pertaining to mental illness.

The more I think about it, the more this feels like a thinly-veiled rec thread, because OP would have to be an absolute newfag to not know about Monogatari and it still gets new stories adapted.

Watch more anime newfriend, more than half the characters in the catalog is autistic.

Why do pseuds love quoting Freud so much?

Hits a bit too close to the home for the mostly escapist medium.

Attached: mad.png (1125x1600, 388K)

Yeah, especially since the terms for sociopathy are so interchangeable and common place that anyone’s a sociopath if you look hard enough.
Lying? Sociopath
Self centred? Sociopath
Mean? Sociopath

Why is there so much god damn yaoi manga? I have to filter that shit out or I get waves if it when looking for new stuff. There’s just so goddamn much of it, fucking gay shit.

A brief skin of the DSM V and I wonder is the trick that any sane person would find themselves having at least one of the many symptoms of the many illnesses?

Borderline Personality, for example. "Inappropiate emotional reactions(to what?), a history of unstable relationships(have you seen the dating scene recently?"

Seems like if you're social, you're gonna have a "mental illness."

And heck, if you're not social, we got a mental illness for not being social!

Except ASD is referred to as both sociopathy and psychopathy in the DSM-V.
>talking about things you know nothing about
or whatever newfag zone you're crossboarding from

I don't know. It's real interesting. I think it's a "I'll use this buzzword to appear as if I am knowledgable about X topic". Nobody who brings up Freud knows anything about the topic in whatever conversation it comes up during.
>psych m.a. who has only ever had accurate discussions involving Freud during a classroom lecture

It’s because everyone’s heard of Freud except most don’t know that everyone’s heard of Freud, so they quote him as if he’s some high class philosopher whose surface level quotes serve as an argument in of them selves.

People call me a pedo but in reality i only find it fuckable if its anime and reaching early maturity(megumin)
I have babysitted a lot of kids in the past and i genuinely cannot understand how people can find them attractive, cute yeah i guess but attractive no.
If anything they are exhausting.

Dude if you’re legitimately being called a pedo in real life you’re doing something very wrong.

I didnt mean reality i meant here by other anons

I wrote that there's no serious textbook that includes a diagnosis for "sociopathy", which is true, as the DSM-5 includes a diagnosis for ASPD rather than sociopathy or psychopathy
>ASD is referred to as both sociopathy and psychopathy in the DSM-V.
this is false
there's 5 occurrences of the word "psychopathy" in the DSM-5, two of which are in "[ASPD] has been referred to as psychopathy, sociopathy, or dyssocial personality disorder [in early works about the subject as well as in pop culture]" (p.659), and three of which are about a specfier for ASPD that is "often termed psychopathy" (p.765)
all 3 occurrences of "psychopathic" are in that same paragraph, still about the specifier
there's only one occurrence of the word "sociopathy", in the same line I quoted a bit earlier, and no occurrence of "sociopathic"
working with pdf's is convenient let me tell ya
>go back to Yea Forums newfag
hah, go back to school and learn to check things before you call others out on them smart guy, I wouldn't want to come in contact with you professionally as a colleague or a patient if you're like this at work as well, you'd be a danger for others

They even have "Not otherwise Specified" (recently renamed to "Not elsewhere classified") as a catch-all.

This is all just in one arc

This was really good

>a brief skim of a 1k page manual that's used as a diagnostic tool by all mental health professionals in the developed world
surely you can see what's somewhat off if you can't even use a technical term that's right there in the title
almost all mental disorders in that manual can only be diagnosed if the symptoms cause significant distress or a they compromise the person's functioning significantly, and the symptoms like the couple ones you mentioned are to be taken as extremes
more specifically:
inappropriate emotional reactions you would/should read as "the person most often has emotional reactions that most people would consider inappropriate or disproportionate (like developing a strong attachment to your neighbor because they lent them some sugar, or starting crying out of sadness when a friend shows up 1 minute late to a meeting), to (almost) any event for most of the time (as personality disorders pervade all areas of functioning, as opposed to, say, some anxiety disorders) "
a history of unstable relationships could/should be read as "the person's life has been characterized by short, shallow and fast-changing relationships", as in, they can't have a stable relationship with their parents for example, and they see others as only extremely nice and friendly or extremely bad and ill intentioned
to add to that, you might find that you tick some of the diagnostic criteria for a disorder or two, but that's 100% normal and to be formally diagnosed with a disorder you need to satisfy all the criteria (IIRC for BPD it's at least 4 out of 9 symptoms, two of which you quoted, distress or inpairment, the usual pervasiveness and early onset of personality disorders, and no better explanation from another disorder's criteria
so I'm not saying that you absolutely don't have autism or BPD, but it's unlikely that you really fit all the criteria for any given disorder
this is one of the reasons why the DSM-5 is ideally used by a professional

No one calls each other pedos unironically for liking Megumin on here. Yea Forums is a hub a degeneracy where there are threads made for cunny posting

>I have babysitted a lot of kids in the past

Attached: thesploogepants.png (876x658, 417K)

Attached: niggermura.png (522x350, 184K)

Read more FKMT works then OP.

Attached: 1533093129116.jpg (2092x1400, 1.04M)

In concept yes, but less in actual practice.

that's more about mind games

Not really

Attached: 1546630372524.jpg (830x1200, 312K)

I'm saying that it's a whole lot of text that seems like a whole lot of horseshit.

We eat too much salt, we can run blood tests and measure for that. You can't measure for a mental illness besides "Professional Opinion", which is hilariously bogged down by politics.

Thinking you're a guy in a girl's body, for example, doesn't count as a mental illness(because of the politicking of a bunch of crazy people involved in making the DSMV). But act in deviance to the "norm(even if the norm is fucking horrible)", and they'll pin ya down for something, guaranteed.

It's weird to me that you look at a 1,000 page manual as a source of pride. As if the document is somehow better for being so goddamn long. Wanna know what the longest work of fiction ever written is?

Go on, take a guess.

It's a Super Smash Brothers Self-Insert Fanfiction.

Reminder: Anyone who talks to you at length in public about mental illness is mentally ill. They will either latch onto you as some sort of savior, try to fuck you, and/or try to kill you.

The proper response to these chucklefucks is to stay as far away from them as you can. Especially if they explicitly dress up as someone known to be a murdering lunatic, thanks /cgl/

Attached: how tragic who could have seen it coming.png (1097x1009, 773K)

Is it a kind if mental illness if I like to picture myself as a psychopath/sociopath even know I myself will never be like that? I do have a lack of empathy for people I don't like though.

No you're just kinda a chuuni. We all wanna be like L or Light from Death Note on some level. Problem is we don't get a cool soundtrack when things go JUST AS PLANNED

look at his dead eyes, he isnt a cute child

So, I'm normal? Nice. Now to fix my severe anxiety.

Attached: it's all right.webm (640x360, 2.67M)

Yeah you're autistic

Oh shit i might have to watch this now

Oh I forgot to tell you the bad news. WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY... that kinda encourages a soft sort of sociopathy. A sociopathy that weirdly enough insists you virtue signal all the time.

So the anxiety ain't going away unless you're a true blue sociopath, and if you were, you wouldn't be worried about it.

Please look up trapeze
Anthology series about different mentally ill patients seeing an eccentric therapist

Shitty writers and bad fiction in general blame problems on the illness, which unfortunately mirrors life. The best way to show development would be to have the illness just be part of a character's problem; even as they take the steps to remedy it, their actual personality gets in the way of becoming a better/worse person

any premise is ruined by shitty writers though

>Punpun
Probably represents mental illness the best. Aiko with her trauma and inferiority complex, Punpun and his depression, Yuuichi and his cynicism/adultering. There was also that character with schizophrenia, and his best friend who had his own abandonment isses. Overall I really liked the story, sans the Pegasus arc.

Adding on to the manga list: I really like 3-gatsu no lion's approach to depression.

Based hunterchad

>3-gatsu no lion
does it get less boring?

she is a qt though

source?

I want to smile like that in my life.

I’d say read the thread, I’d even be tempted to point out your room temperature IQ, but Aku No Hana is good and I think people should read it

Mental illness is a great way to up your mood

>uses freudian psychology seriously
loved ichirou and the general surreal feel of the show but damn was that irksome

This is my problem with Love is War, quoting surface level psychology is just so pretentious

I don't think Japan is as sensitive about stuff like that.

Attached: Blacklusteranime.png (1235x718, 552K)

Tbh it's one of those comfy shows I watch when I need something to center myself with. The mellowness of the show is really comforting.

so no?

Attached: bleh.png (1233x785, 763K)

Everyone is mentally ill, except for the people completely honest about their intentions and willing to clear up any doubt.

Those people we all bully because they're ruining the joke for everyone else

Attached: drunk.jpg (1200x1200, 158K)

The best is people who form their identity on their "mental illness."

Like it's some tattoo or magical power they have. It's like how some gay people literally form the basis of their existence on how they really enjoy having penis rammed up their ass.

It's ok to acknowledge your short comings, and it's ok to own what makes you deviant from society. But goddamn it can't you be "more" than whatever disorder Dr. Feelgood gives you, can't the sum of your existence be more that a tight anal cavity having a penis shoved forcefully back and forth within it?

I'm not asking you guys to make masterpieces, or even get a job, I'm just saying that mental illness should be treated as an illness, not an identity.

But being gay is a mental illness

Attached: Boy love.png (1249x566, 670K)

Attached: 136-137.png (1200x1640, 603K)

i want to die lmao