Why is the "Literally Me" archetype so polarizing?

Why is the "Literally Me" archetype so polarizing?

Attached: 1558267475360.png (1985x1279, 1.49M)

Image is missing Kyon

It feels even more shameless than the usual blank self-insert.

kyon is not near as intelligent, nihilistic, and/or possessing of a wicked sense of humor as those four

Who's the last guy

But he was the original “Literally Me” character

>still trying to force this meme
Give this shit a rest already, it was never funny. It's cringy as fuck.

But 50%man is the result of literal human experimentation

Ditch Ayanokouji. He's a boring, poorly-written expy of the first two. Sakuta is also kind of a tool, and barely only fits.

That's why he isn't included.

They're anti-SJW. Only leftists hate them.

Me.

They are very different from each other

Hachiman isn't either.

Literally me.

Attached: 2x2.jpg (615x615, 127K)

He thinks he is.

Because at the end of the day, the people who fantasize as being "literally me" are the kids who think they're the typical silent genius, even though they have 0 real accomplishments and at the end of the day don't have the will or courage to do what these MCs have the balls to pull off.

No, Hachiman is a depressed guy who thinks he's a piece of shit. He repeatedly gambles on the idea that Yukino and others would never care about him.

>a depressed guy who thinks he's a piece of shit
Literally me.

So I guess Shinji Ikari, Okarin and Shirou are "literally me" characters, too?

>and at the end of the day don't have the will or courage to do what these MCs have the balls to pull off

That's kinda the central problem with this character type. They aren't people, they are wish fullfilment vehicles. Their characters aren't being explored, they are idolized. There is a reason why Shinji didn't get into the damn Eva.

Not with Hachiman.

How are 8man and Oreki idolized?

No, you didn't get it. I'm a "depressed guy who thinks he's a piece of shit", hence he's literally ME.

It's a secondary retard forcing his meme, don't even bother with the Evafag who is probably the one's spamming these threads.

whatever you say, retard.

Alright who's worse, literally me OR Harem self insert beta MC?

>retard
You're the retard here, buddy.

Harem self-insets, by far. Not saying that literally me are good either, but harem MCs are so bad that nothing can compare.

I think literally me is a good step up from harem beta MC, so what's the next evolution of literally me? Shonen protag

Isekai protags ties with shounen protags.

>How are 8man and Oreki idolized?

I can't comment on the latter due to a lack of familiarity, but Hachiman has two beautiful girls in love with him and is the rival of the coolest guy in his school despite being a massive loser who's shitty to hang around with. Not only is that not realistic, in what world is that even believable? He is absolutely being idolized.

Who are the next litterally me who are going to get an anime adaptation?
My bet are on Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun though it doesn't seem to be an harem.

You forgot the teacher who is portrayed as his pity prize if he fails and the sister who is playing 4D social chess with him. I think the story is 'believable' in the sense that it doesn't throw the romance in your face and gives it a lot of time to build into something, Hachiman gets a lot of normal-awesome moments that are the reason people like the series.
I think it's the same for Oreki/50%, they are better than others they just lack the will to use their talents. That lets the viewer think of themselves as special, "If only I tried harder I could win" sort of giving them a pat on the back because deep down they know they're not that intelligent.
And butai is a fantasy that you can talk to girls and be mature. It's the most unrealistic of any of the MCs, because it implies that people who read these sorts of stories have any social skills or backbone at all.

Are there any anime/manga that have the exact opposite of the "Literally Me" archetype? As in a protagonist who's distinctly simple-minded without falling to the level of being a moron, has average looks, is a decent person without having some jarring messiah complex going on, and who achieves notable successes simply by applying himself diligently at important tasks? In other words, Japanese Forrest Gump.

>One terrible character archetype being in every anime is better than another terrible character archetype being in every anime

too much to ask for a character that has some thought put into it? all of these literally me characters just just kyon/lelouch/satou/ect but without the part where they realize how many of their problems are their own fault for being a stupid self absorbed asshole that can't get over themselves properly

>Anime
>realistic
Jesus Christ, not this shit again

It's probably some Yea Forumstard, just ignore.

Hyouka MC predates Kyon by 2 years. Learn your history.

What is anime derived from if not reality?

disney cartoons and tom and jerry.

But we aren't supposed to idolize him, his worldview is a problem and it's been pointed out by the characters in the show. Same thing with Oreki, their talent or kindness exists too emphasize how such a worldview can waste potentially great people and the other characters act as a foil them

It takes inspiration from reality, like all art, but it's not meant to be realistic. Not by a long shot

>it's a story so it doesn't have to make sense and things can just happen for no reason lol

Watari-kun no xx ga Houkai Sunzen
OK protag, not literally me neither beta MC

Realistic =/= logical. A series doesn't have to aim for realism to be good. Some of the greatest stories ever told wouldn't happen in the real world, that's the entire point of fiction

>Some of the greatest stories ever told wouldn't happen in the real world
and those stories still operate on rules and setup and cause and effect. even shit like alice in wonderland which is deliberately trying to shitpost and be wacky has alice pointing out how strange all the contradictions are. you know it's deliberate

meanwhile generic modern LN adaption literally me self insert mc adventures #274 having everyone in the world want to fuck the self insert MC variety of the week for no reason and nobody bothers to explain why is just shitty writing that knows it doesn't have to try because mentally ill troglodytes like yourself will defend it because they're using it to jerk off and can't think straight with their raging erection

Literally exactly this guy.

Attached: x38.png (900x1412, 279K)

I'm prepared to receive your rage.

Attached: Self insert characters.jpg (1376x989, 388K)

Christ, are you okay, user?

Me on the right

Reminder that Hikigaya is not supposed to be taken seriously and is purposefully written as an edgy "Literally Me."

Attached: Its_cbbd88_6434452.jpg (1200x1200, 144K)

t.

Attached: 1544422032823.webm (640x480, 3M)

>Some of the greatest stories ever told wouldn't happen in the real world, that's the entire point of fiction

The deviations from reality of works in the canon usually exist either because those deviations from reality were believed to be true in the time period in which those works were composed or because those deviations are intentionally being used to say something about reality (Beowulf is perhaps the most striking example of this). In what way does "a cadre of beautiful/talented/exceptional people willingly associate with some teenage boy with poor social skills and a bad attitude who acts like he knows everything" make for a good story?

I thought his function was to show the readers how his thinking (that is shared by the literally me people) is flawed.

What's this manga?

Exactly, people who side with him and take his words seriously are missing the point.

This seems all over the place.

Dunno why people hates "Literally me" characters but like underdogs. The entire "Not really good at something but through sheer efforts can reach the top" is equally unbelievable.

Azusagawa is okay, 8man is funny S1. 50%man is cringe. Oreki is not even a literally me character.

>and those stories still operate on rules and setup and cause and effect
And so does fucking Oregairu. Don't ignore the rest of the series. Alice in Wonderland was far from realistic, that was the intent, and the same goes with Oregairu. Saying a series has to be realistic is fucking retarded and needlessly limiting

>In what way does "a cadre of beautiful/talented/exceptional people willingly associate with some teenage boy with poor social skills and a bad attitude who acts like he knows everything" make for a good story?
Because that's not the story. That's literally the synopsis somebody who skimmed through the series and only paid attention to the fanserivce would tell you it's about. It has an actual story that's meant to convey something to you, the character is a "literally me" type of guy cause that message is aimed specifically at those kinds of people

How can they be me if 3/4 of them are fuckable?

You two are correct, but is that actually because of the intentions of the author or just something incidental? It's obvious if you apply reality to Hachiman that his behavior is stupid and self-defeating because someone who acts like he does is guaranteed to be unsuccessful no matter what he does until he changes his behavior; however, the story seemed to have consistently gone out of its way to try and present him as being somehow morally superior to the people around him rather than the reprehensible creature he really is.

>Three of them became "Literally me" for shitty reasons
>One became "Literrally me" because he was forced to pass his childhood without any type of human interaction

I think I've hear the writer say that it's intentional, I don't have a quote tho.

Watari wants those NEETbux.

I like the way Penguin Highway handled this. The bully doesn't care about MC's monologue and beats him up anyway.

This desu. Only an irredeemable fuckup is qualified to be literally me. Shinji is the only character to even come close as far as I know

>the story seemed to have consistently gone out of its way to try and present him as being somehow morally superior to the people around him rather than the reprehensible creature he really is.
Did you watch the series? It does the literal opposite and everybody calls him out on it

>morally superior
Yukino defeats him in the competition and Hachiman admits his methods suck. Literally everything Hachiman does is set up to be defeated.

>It does the literal opposite and everybody calls him out on it

Tennis match. Sagami. All of his conversations with Hayama. The only major point where he's shown to clearly be in the wrong is the shit that happens with Ebina and the forced aftermath of that. The time with the grade schooler who ends up a loner is ambiguous because, while his handling of the situation is essentially a failure, no one else is shown to have a better alternative.

>forced aftermath of that. The time with the grade schooler who ends up a loner is ambiguous because, while his handling of the situation is essentially a failure, no one else is shown to have a better alternative.
It's funny how secretly you knew you were full of shit.

>Tennis match.
People cheering Hayama's name despite Hachiman's "victory"
>Sagami
Leads to Hachiman getting bullied, students putting garbage in his locker with Sagami and her friends spreading rumors of him. Anime doesn't show this, Yukino has to fix this for him and negotiate with Sagami to stop spreading rumors.

I thought you said 'Imagine kissing Kyon'
I'm disappointed you didn't say that.

>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT'S JUST FICTION IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ARGUMENT IS
This is how anime haters deal with losing the narrative.

>Tennis match
Didn't it literally end with the popular kids being happy even though they lost because they had their friendship?

>Sagami
Now I'm convinced you didn't watch the series, everybody hated him for that

>The time with the grade schooler who ends up a loner is ambiguous because, while his handling of the situation is essentially a failure, no one else is shown to have a better alternative
Yeah, that scene is meant to show that his method of fixing things doesn't actually work and as he continues to try to do it this way the consequences get worse and worse, hence Sagami and eventually Ebina

>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT'S JUST FICTION IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ARGUMENT IS
Literally nobody said that. It's just that things don't have to be realistic to be good

Where the fuck are Kyon and RRRgi?

>Now I'm convinced you didn't watch the series, everybody hated him for that

And that's precisely what I mean. Why is it that no one else, including the student council lackeys who have to deal with all of her bullshit directly, calls Sagami out? Why is it that Hachiman becomes public enemy number one for refusing to call a deer a horse and daring to speak the truth? Doesn't that strike you as pretty strange?

>Why is it that no one else, including the student council lackeys who have to deal with all of her bullshit directly, calls Sagami out?
Have you really never met somebody like that in real life? The type who doesn't work on a group project but still tries to get the credit and everybody just ignores them and lets them do their thing? That happens all the time but instead of handling it gently 8man straight up tells her how much of a bitch she's being which, even though people agree with what he's saying, they don't agree with how he's doing it and that's what people call him out on. Hayama literally tells him in that scene that he hates the way he handles things and most people agree with him. 8man isn't a morally bad person, he's actually a pretty good guy, but he's super misguided and that's what the series is about. Not just some harem series with a edgy protagonist

>he's super misguided and that's what the series is about
If only the author thought the same, maybe this series would have ended years ago.

>Have you really never met somebody like that in real life? The type who doesn't work on a group project but still tries to get the credit and everybody just ignores them and lets them do their thing?

My experience with similar situations in real life is that people who act like Sagami wind up becoming the object of resentment from everyone else around them and a convenient fall guy for any shortcomings in whatever endeavor they are involved with. Far from becoming public enemy number one, someone who calls out lazy fucks/egomaniacal loafers who don't actually contribute is going to receive the support and approval of those around him unless the person he's calling out holds real power (e.g. your boss, not some volunteer chairman for some school event) or the person doing the calling out has also been deficient in his contributions.

>sakuta the normalfag
>one of us
No.

Attached: not me.png (853x480, 325K)

some people consume fiction to have their own feelings and experiences validated
other people consume fiction to explore the feelings and experiences of people completely different to them

based

t. not me

He does though, hence why every other character tends to call him out

But him making her cry was a bit much. She was generally well liked to everybody who wasn't on the team and most people found that just plain insulting her to the point of tears was kind of a dick move as well. He knew that everybody would feel like he was a dick but bit the bullet cause then everybody else would be happy. Which the people who cared about him also didn't like. The problem wasn't that he felt it, it was that he brought himself down to Sagami's level while he was doing it

Not everyone is the same, some have just seen the "literally me" guy from far apart and try to reason why the gloomy mood. Others just grew up from it, so it's a bad memento of their chuuni days. Those who endorse it either have depression or just have not maturate yet from a very early adolescence phase.
No kidding, one thing is to see how the world works clearly, and another is to go around trying to gain attention while propagating your own problems. The second sentence is a reference over how emphatic people approach the gloomy guy, leaving this as reference in case someone does not get my meaning.

i self insert as characters like akarin from yuru yuri, i don't know what any of you are talking about.