Besides suicidal tendencies, what started this isekai craze?

besides suicidal tendencies, what started this isekai craze?
Can we narrow it down to a coupe of key shows?
I think NGNL was one of the more recent firsts to be a major success

Attached: 1556938521788.jpg (3200x2274, 1.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bu_Bu_Jing_Xin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>isekai bad cause its popular

it does get a little tiring that everything has to be an isekai now

NGNL didn't have much of an impact in Japan.
It's Sword Art Online. you can close the thread now.

That's only because authors can't write for shit.

And you can? kek

>people only have bad reasons for disliking what I like
Hard autism.

Is not really the isekai concept the problem as much as is the setting.

Fantasy is my favorite thing, isekai or not, but I'm just pretty tired of the generic "medieval" setting with modern stuff like swimsuits, trenchoats and schooluniforms mixed in it.
Is not that I want something super original or groundbreaking, just something more strong flavored, like... I don't know...something like looks like ancient greece for example, or oriental like Persia, or some savage land with dinosaurs, or colonial, or victorian, or something that is medieval but more historically accurate or something mixed with sci-fi like the old 80s anime. Something that makes it have a bit more of personality. Because most of this works take place on worlds so similar that could perfectly be set in the very same world and no one would notice the difference. At least create some new races or monsters instead of recycling the same. OR your own approach to said monster, I don't know, mix myths with lovecraftian horrors or the like like Berserk did at the beginning.
Works like Fairy Gone, Magi, Maria the virgin witch, or all those old fantasy in space from the 80s like Leda did nice work when it comes to the settings at least.

Give me an Isekai on space or an isekai on wuxia or an isekai on a madmaxesque world and I'll buy, just...not more demon kings, elves and dwarves, please, And no more fantasy settings with modern swimsuits.

Attached: __drawn_by_2ngaw__sample-3016dcc39c5654f64ba9db87721de4b7.jpg (850x1120, 115K)

The problem is the DQ video game leveling guild bullshit

My problem with almost all of them is that the after the first 3 episodes they get boring.
Only when they are new to the world and need to explore its interesting, then it, to nobodies surprise falls for all the typical cliches and youve seen it all before

this honestly. most Isekai has a gimmick as a selling point and said gimmick becomes tiresome after 3 episodes.

Remember that one about the smartphone that had the "smartphone" in the title? The smartphone was relevant for like 30 seconds, then the MC just gets max level at all magic types and the phone becomes completely irrelevant.

>what started this isekai craze?
SAO

The current batch of isekai fade started with Re:monster and Mushoku tensei novels. Curiously enough these didn't get anime adaptations yet

But over more than 20 years ago there was already an isekai peak. Leda, Dream Hunter, Fandora, El Hazzard, Mugen Senshim, Tobira o Akete, Magic Knight rayearth, Bakunetsu jinku Its just a fade that returning

Attached: __asagiri_youko_genmu_senki_leda_drawn_by_kouda_tomohiro__5f69183bfdbc10113ac8549e6a1443b6.jpg (696x1000, 423K)

it's a way to get an average jap high school boy into a fantasy setting so that the otakus can self insert

SAO
Japs just got tired of coming up of reasons why people would get stuck in a VR MMO so they just used isekai instead.
Notice how most of the shitfests has the same game/skill mechanics. The other world is just a glorified MMO.

Is there an actual interesting Isekai?

WNs became a thing and promoted low quality wish fulfillment stories. After some earlier Isekai stories became popular it slowly started a rise of the popularity of that genre and it eventually replaced magic battle highschool as the most popular setting for wish fulfillment power fantasy, especially for WNs. WNs often become LNs and those sometimes get anime adaptations.

No modern ones, but older ones before the craze like Escaflowne or Now and Then, Here and There are good.

Not isekai in general, but I believe the reincarnation via death (truck accident) trend was started or popularized by this Chinese novel and its drama adaption: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bu_Bu_Jing_Xin

isn't that a little too puffy?

Not at all, just a little too clothed.

I need to find new material sometime

Attached: shirocunny.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

If it ever got a new season, that's where they should put more effort into. There hasn't even been a new doujin by the ln artist with her in the years since that one with a few pages.

Attached: 1536293980044.jpg (1240x1748, 504K)

The isekai trend it's actually a governmet psyop to get rid of hikikomori and individuals unsatisfied with their life. Inducing them to commit suicide, hoping to be isekai'd, before they become a bother to society.

Attached: tinfoil hat anime.jpg (200x252, 8K)

I read something somewhere about copyright issues which is why they didnt get to continue the series, the MC or something was similar to copyrighted material

sorry that its vague, but it does seem to make sense since it was so popular so fast and they didnt continue it

Attached: bathtime.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

>glorified
more like watered down
at least mmo's make sense in the context that it's a game

retard

Attached: 1549400365635.jpg (378x396, 40K)

are neets that bothersome in japan? do they even have welfare for neets?

>yes, let me validate my argument with a low quality meme
KEK

There wasn't a game removing her nipples, so where did they go?

jesus. reading too much isekai really kills braincells.

>yes, let me insult you to validate my argument even more
TOP KEK

>setting isnt some generic fantasy DnD shit
>protagonist being from the real world is relevant throughout the entire story
>isnt given max cheat level powers, gets no harem, has to give up the chance to fuck Bulma just to stay alive
I would have just fucked bulma and died desu

Attached: 81cCjavUUwL.jpg (1400x2170, 484K)

im pretty sure the "recent spate" of isekai isnt a real thing, there was zero no tukaima snd log horizon before SAO or MT or any other meme reason

Attached: hackingtothedatabase.jpg (1280x720, 114K)

you are a funny man, user. question, do you believe to be a valid, sounding argument?

Who says "question" before asking something, thats the most beta thing ever, KEK

you truly are funny user. are you a Yea Forums regular? it would explain many things, for example calling out others doing personal attacks then doing the same, though i bet you didnt even realize that.
an advice, stop consuming so much isekai. salvage whats left of your brain, user.

Alright, im gonna answer your """question""" because you seem so desperate kek.
Yes, i think thats a valid argument, because you have to have the minimum of skill or experience to critizise something.
If you think the authors write like shit, and you havent written anything (not even a book, just a small story is enough) then that makes you a hypocrite. Keep replying to me, i want those sweet sweet (You)s

>minimum of skill or experience to critize something
i wrote short stories and essays during school, i think that qualifies as the bare minimum of experience though i consider i did a fine jobe given my good grades. the problem now, user, is that you believe isekai works to be above the delusional ramblings of a middle schooler.
>i-im doing it for the replies!
kek you are going to pull that one now? you truly are a Yea Forums regular, how classic. that basically ends the discussion but please do tell me how you were pretending to be retarded all this time, before you leave to "bait" others hahah

>i wrote short stories and essays during school,
And how the fuck would i knew that? that basically validates my point because even if that was true you never mentioned it.
You really sound like a pretentious nignogger. leddit is the place for your kin, you will be recieved better there than here.
Thanks for the (You)

Get a room homos.

SAO was first published in 2002, lad. LH in 2010.

How about
roleplayers being escapist losers?
Also beta cucks in general wishing for a different life instead of actually making it come true by their own power.

anime and manga is extremely escapist by nature and isekai is the epitome of escapism. it was only a matter of time before it was abused, and it doesn't matter what started it.

all right ill end it now kek.
listen user, by your logic no one in Yea Forums is qualified to criticize anime since no one here has worked before in ani kind of animation. even if there are posters who have worked before on animation im willing to say they are such a minuscule minority it might as well not exists. by your logic there would be no discussion and critique here and it would basically be the same thing as reddit, a circle jerking forum where no one is allowed to say mean things about the things you like.
thats why is not a valid, sounding argument. thanks for your time, have fun "pretending" to be mentally impaired.

theres tons of ways to do escapism without going for isekai
videogames dont all start with getting hit by a truck or something like that

I read this one already but I'll give you that it's actually pretty good desu

>no one in Yea Forums is qualified to criticize anime since no one here has worked before in ani kind of animation.
Pretty much I agree in that. You can critizise the animation if you ever animated before. You can critizise the story if you've ever written something before and so on. You can disagree with my opinion, but im 100% sure about what i think.
Thats why this site and basically every reviewer or critic is a joke, because they dont know what the fuck are they talking about if they dont have the proper experience, just like you.
Thanks for the (You)s, brainlet

do you not realize how dumb this is
captures it perfectly

>Pretty much I agree in that.
you just went and outright admitted you want Yea Forums to be reddit? user there are limits in faking stupidity to farm replies.
Thanks for the (Laugh)s retard kek

Fill me with more (You)s, i love them. Your retard opinion really makes me feel better

>do you not realize how dumb this is
he doesnt. i blew his ass out and now hes full on damage control KEK

>Now and Then, Here and There
Superb taste

>Using KEK just like I did to pretend he won when I literally said that his opinion is shit
KEK

user are for real? just stop, if you want a safe space just say it
>y-you didnt won! i-i said ur opinion is shite!
bfwahahahaha you are really broken now dont you?

I can do this all day faggot
keep giving me those (You)s, this is literally bait at this point, yet you will still reply

you are a broken man user, or kid rather. giving replies to a seething teenager is no trouble. besides im having fun seeing you doing all that damage control

Video game isekai is legit garbage.

>still gives me (You)
holy shit, replying to bait might be the lowest form of autism Ive seen here. good lord

Not that user, but he is baiting you and you are eating it like it was a bucket full of dicks.

>i-its bait i swear! i'm not mentally challenged!!
ahahaha user, time to let the thread die, but i had fun. just remember, don't start a discussion if you lack the confidence in your intellect to finish it. all that damage control is just pathetic
holy shit kid

>don't start a discussion if you lack the confidence in your intellect to finish it
KEK, what a pretentious and modest asshole you are.
You must have tons of friends.

>keeps eating the bait
>n-no its not bait, see?

Kek

video games are a different medium. anime/manga are just drawn stories where the most interaction you'll get is from self inserting and pretending the character's actions are your own. all video games have to do is make it a fantasy setting and you're already being transported to a new world since you're playing as the character.

>Clearly bait
>Pretends to think it's not
>Still replies
lmao, peak Yea Forumsutism right here

We are in the midst of a historic shift in attitude of Asians toward an afterlife. They seen to think you go to a dungeons and dragons style video game. Bit odd. But they're starting to believe.

He still used it for aerial bombardment and the like