Why don't we get remakes of anime from the 80s and 90s?

Why don't we get remakes of anime from the 80s and 90s?

Attached: you're_under_arrest_-_01_-_and_so_they_met__rs2_[F5AF49E4].mkv_snapshot_07.36_[2017.12.05_08.42 (640x480, 639K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1979_anime_television_series
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1979_anime_films
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26633690
youtube.com/watch?v=XuFPtK5IZb0
youtube.com/watch?v=LWpQDR8rnw8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it doesn't fucking need one and it'd only ruin it anyway.

A lot of anime back then weren't animated well and had issues with the story. Not saying it can't be done but there will have to be a huge reorganization effort and financial incentive redo a lot of older anime. They will basically have to dig up the source material and originals for reference... if they still have them.

I could have sworn that Fruits Basket was late 90s but apparently not. The manga was 90s though.

I would kill for a Nadesico remake fwiw

We DO get remakes of anime from the 80s and 90s.

Attached: die neue these.jpg (640x960, 209K)

Fuck you with your remakes.

They don't need remakes, they need remasters.

Because no one would watch them.

>Remakes

Remakes, I would rather have sequels than making the same shit to recapture the originals.

Kindly fuck off OP you retard.

I think most try to block this from memory so it makes sense why most wouldn't know. Be like if they remade Gunbuster or Kimagure.

fuck your remakes, but I wish there was a better way to find good recommendations on 80s/90s anime that are never discussed here
there's a lot of garbage that only makes people's lists out of nostalgia

Attached: 1526143844014.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

I liked Yamato remake. The effects were needed and there was a better way to express coloring.

Attached: [NoobSubs] Space Battleship Yamato 2199 10 (720p Blu-ray 8bit AAC).mp4_snapshot_22.02_[2015.10.08_21 (1280x720, 76K)

The correct way to watch 80s anime is to start from the 70s.

I don't even know where to start with the 80s, how the fuck do I start on the 70s

Attached: 1422596136397.png (455x516, 173K)

Pick a year and watch what it has to offer.

1979 shows:
>Anne of Green Gables
>Mobile Suit Gundam
>Rose of Versailles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1979_anime_television_series

1979 movies:
>Aim for the Ace
>Galaxy Express 999
>Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1979_anime_films

Start with the 60s

A lot of anime back then wasn't good in some respects. The story line for many was chopped up and handled by people who didn't really know where to put things at. There is a reason old anime has strange pauses or pointless focus in random places. There is also the fast way a lot of anime was carried out back then too. Anime was done in the fastest way possible to put in as much of the written script as possible. Even mainstream stuff like Gundam wasn't immune and mech was king back then.

Attached: 1399918104364.png (1608x2150, 2.89M)

Nope theyre perfect if not better how they art. They dont need fuckin flares everywhere and digital rendering bullshit

Most remakes fail to capture the spirit of the original and you get some soulless cashgrab under the same name. You should be wanting more studios to make original things rather than constantly riding on successes of the past. We already get too many adaptations. Adding remakes (which are also already happening to a degree) would just put the last nail in the coffin of the industry and make watching anime completely pointless.

Attached: 1399914964734.png (1608x2050, 2.99M)

We do. You just don't notice it.

Sequels>Remakes

Yeah, there are always exceptions. Yamato is so diverse that it works. Have you seen Yamato 2202 yet>?

We do. We got a remake of Hunter X Hunter and it was absolute trash. That's why you shouldn't ask for remakes of golden age anime in the modern era. There's a huge difference in funding and effort now since the industry at the time was booming and got stupid amounts of money hence why studios were churning out way more series, movies and OVAs than today.

They all collapsed late 90s and we got stuck with harem, cute girls doing cute things and meme series as a result. We don't need those factors being applied to good old series.

>We got a remake of Hunter X Hunter and it was absolute trash.
[angry whispering intensifies]

No, I went though all the other like Emeraldas, Galaxy Express 999 and so on and even then I only scratched the surface.

City Hunter didn't need no remake they just continued it in the movies even kept voice actors and did pretty well in box offices beating Code Geass AU movies.

GET WILD AND TOUGH

This.

I wonder if it because they aren't considered priority. Remakes probably get the short end of the stick. Sailor Moon Crystal from what I remembered did pick up but it was later and there series was being favored over Pretty Cure or so it went?

Sailor Moon remakes are a joke.

[citation needed]

It helps that City Hunter doesn't have a lot of continuity and so running around in circles with the same basic plot and tropes is exactly what its oldfag audience wants.

YUA does NOT need a remake
It just needs another season;it was so ahead of its time that only in 2019 are most of its jokes relevant

Attached: My computer.jpg (640x480, 29K)

That's not what remastering means.

>hentai

Attached: eLGXPGl.png (640x480, 237K)

Well it's enough to beat Code Geass in the box offices in Japan.

Without the use of cels you're just never going to come to the same level of quality that you had back then without just feeling compleley different

Oh shit I watched TO-Y

I think i'm like the only person in existence who did

>All of the year's anime for the mid 80's is less than 1 season for the 2010's list of anime
You take what you can get. Just look for comparison who much more anime is being pumped out. 5-6 times as much anime is being put out per year now than back then.

Attached: iNB2TEjWLguo7.jpg (1920x5131, 3.56M)

Japanese people are not retarded like Hollywood and know that cashing on soiboi nostalgia is not a long term business plan.

seesee

I'm probably the only person on the planet who wants this back.

Attached: Im005.jpg (624x640, 137K)

It would insult me greatly if one of my shows remake or change the VA's for some stupid reason.

>pic related

Attached: natsuki_shizuru_05_1024.jpg (1024x768, 143K)

because shows in the 80's/90's were trash and only autistic lemmings think they are good.

yes you are. I'm guessing your over 30

Too much NTR

What's Saint Seiya, City Hunter, Gegege no Kitaro, LoGH?

To be fair, hentai back then was competently animated. Seeing Pink Pineapple works back then vs. what we get now is like night and day.

City hunter is being remade? Did Angel Hearts ever even finish?

>City hunter is being remade?
The new movie is out and it's pretty good. It shows that it doesn't need a remake at all.

City Hunter new movie shows that you don't need no remake.

Sunrise is doing things right for a change.

The problem with remakes is that nobody actually ever remakes anything that could use it. They always just redo something that's already done and good and popular but then make it worse.

UGLY

>movies
>Aim for the Ace

Riding Bean is getting a new short animation.

Attached: D7BZe5XVsAA3Cz3.jpg (1080x608, 83K)

>The story line for many was chopped up and handled by people who didn't really know where to put things at.
Are you sure you are not talking about modern anime?
>Even mainstream stuff like Gundam wasn't immune
Point one gundam series that's like that

Is it continuation/sequel?

Mashup/remake.
It features characters from Gunsmith Cats.

Attached: D7BZfY6U0AUbPt-.jpg (1080x608, 77K)

>Sailor Moon remakes are a joke.

Toei didn't even give the Dragon Ball Super treatment. Granted it could be the manga-ka being incredibly anal on how her works should be adapted

>timecode
>underage prostitute
FBI - open up!

Minnie is 18, she's an adult!

Trash it goes

Why?

Attached: 123 - Riding Bean.jpg (1600x2270, 954K)

They made a movie too. Why didn't you watch it? AND YOU CALL YOURSELF AN "AIM FOR THE ACE" FAN?

We do and they are usually awful, it lacks the soul of the original. The You're under Arrest sequel from a decade ago was bad.

>That NTR scene

Holy shit I fucking hate the 2nd season

Still waiting for this show to be properly animated by a competent studio.

Attached: image.jpg (620x360, 110K)

sequels and also name one good anime sequel that's been than the original.

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26633690

>pantyshot on front of promo image
I want it too now

>The You're under Arrest sequel from a decade ago was bad.

It wasn't that bad user.

This. The 2nd season ntr scene came out from fucking nowhere holy shit.

We do.
They're usually worse than the original, but more close to the source material

A remake is completely unnecessary considering the remaster came out a couple years back.

This.

You are a big dummy.

Attached: [VCB-Studio] Ushio to Tora [NCED02][Ma10p_1080p][x265_flac].mkv_snapshot_00.12_[2019.04.23_19.25.27] (1920x1080, 346K)

They killed best boy and mary sueified the heroine.
Part 1 is good though. Reminds me of D Gray Man or crono crusade, that whole churchpunk style.

The 70s has a lot of remakes and re-imaginings.
Ashita no Joe - Megalo Box
Lupin the 3rd - Part 4/5
Gatchaman - Gatchaman crowds
Mazinger z - mazinger z infinity
Devilman - Crybaby
Cutey Honey - Universe
Casshern - Casshern Sins
Getter robo - New Getter Robo
Yamato - 2199
Koutetsu Jeeg - Kotetsushin Jeeg
Galaxy Express 999 - Getting a new movie
Harlock - The 2013 cgi film
Anne of green gable - Before green gables
Mobile suit gundam - The origin.

Shin Mazinger Z-hen applies more than Infinity I reckon.

Gunsmith Cats would be nice. They'd fuck it up with pandering though.

Attached: __minnie_may_hopkins_gunsmith_cats_drawn_by_sonoda_ken_ichi__3b72973fd9156e36d98f4fc77a031ef4.jpg (903x1008, 161K)

wow poor ginga having to compete with DRAGON BALL of all the things

at least the author has a cult following in nordic countries

At first I shipped Abel and Esther, then after a while I shipped Abel with Catherina and Abel with Astharoshe Asran

Imagine if they tried to remake Machiko Sensei

Bro, aside from half of the first run and the OVA, YUA was pretty shit. And I say this as someone who loves the shit out of it enough to have bought a motocompo.

That said, I guess I should rewatch everything one of these days.

There's enough old, good premise but poorly executed shows that would be decent contenders for remakes or full reimaginings. Unfortunately the only thing most companies will bite on nowadays are formulas that are already proven to work, so good luck getting a project approved for a show that has failed in the past.

I feel like Gundam is always being remade. Thing is though I found you can't escape the fashion of the 70's. Watching 08th MS Team being in the 90's with the Gulf War and Panama War you see a certain look to ti all but then you see the the characters from 0079 make their cameos and they stick out. Then there is Z and ZZ a decade prior and you see the sharpness of the 80's and the same cameo characters still look like they are from the 70's. Unicorn Gundam was also the same. I don't know if anime should be fashion neutral or keep the fashion as a reminder to new generations?

Attached: __elpeo_puru_four_murasame_lalah_sune_puru_two_quess_paraya_and_others_char_s_counterattack_gundam_g (1050x776, 141K)

Why the fuck would you want the anime industry to go full Hollywood on us?!

Huh?

to be honest, the old one, at least all the cel paint episodes have lot of soul and the OST does a better job at immersion, it makes it stand out. But the part where they go to play some card games, that shit is godawful in the old anime ffs.

Most anime from the 80s and 90s wasn't about bland protagonists being surrounded by a hoard of preteen girls for bullshit reasons.

A lot of protagonists were adult unless there was some actual reason for them not to be, like if a series was specifically a high school drama.

Female characters were allowed to have multiple male love interests and crushes and the show's audience didn't sperg out online and throw massive temper tantrums until the studios were afraid of giving any female character a romance option that wasn't the protagonist.

Those shows wouldn't fly today.

Also if they did it would be shitty bland digital animation. Let them sleep, OP. They're better dead.

I liked the old Recca anime but I'd really like to see a full adaptation

Attached: Recca_no_Honoo_39[h.264_AAC][SSP-Corp][98B2CDAE].mkv_snapshot_21.03_[2018.12.07_17.07.21].jpg (720x480, 35K)

Because they are shit like megalobox or crybaby

>were afraid of giving any female character a romance option that wasn't the protagonist.

It really doesn't feel like that long ago when the whole party would get designated pairings.

Attached: sango miroku fam.jpg (1289x483, 156K)

Because you don't actually watch anime and only pretend to, like most nostalgiafags.

Attached: da12f39436dbe186a67d6dbb96e4971b1534191908_full.jpg (640x960, 203K)

It's hard to pair off females when most shows won't let male characters other than the protagonist be sympathetic. It's almost as though the real life hikko who are supposed to imprint on them are scared of other men in real life.

>original looks amazing but goes completely off script
>remake is more inline with the manga narrative but loses the essence that made the original amazing

Attached: 9110e.webm (640x480, 2.64M)

Attached: 1533517373256.webm (640x480, 2.55M)

It just really feels like it's getting in the way of story telling. Characters stop having personalities and arcs beyond how it all relates to the MC.

>Those shows wouldn't fly today.
And thats a good thing!

You know they still have the second fiddle guy but here is the catch, these days he is gay or asexual. At least back in the 2000's they made him an off screen lady killer getting laid by 10/10's. I don't like the fact so many girls hang around the MC because you know IRL any guy who hangs out with that many girls for that long generally has issues with his own gender or is a napkin for the girl's emotions which makes him just another girl. I understand what they are trying but it doesn't really work out the way they think.

Some anime get around this problem with resets like Yosuga no Sora, or the girls are spread out across the school, or there is a low male population

>it doesn't really work out the way they think.
Pretty sure they don't give a shit how it would work in the real world.

Beautiful

Today I will remind them

Attached: 1558833219116.png (992x2304, 1.63M)

I think my biggest problem is that we end up with a handful of female characters who basically all get their character stunted just so they can play second and third fiddle and just end up losing anyways to some bland heroine when they could be forming relationships well within the party or with other characters.

Everything has to be a self insert now where the MC gets every girl, every power up and every story beat revolves around them specifically. Characters don't even really get non romantic relationships if it doesn't involve the MC

That's what the 90's was about. Everybody came out a winner and sometimes there would be conflict but it would go away and everybody had to settle down.
80's was like real life with MC having to find a rando girl and hookup with her off screen generally a co-worker or college girlfriend.
Now the guy gets his imouto, childhood friend, adopted imouto/imouto away from home, class president, quiet one, tsundere, rich girl, and so on

The industry is held hostage by neets who will spend thousands of dollars on merch and dvds, and they're more likely to do that if the show is calibrated to their tastes. Which is why 80% of promotional images consist of a generic teenage boy floating in front of twelve female faces. Or why it's hard to have an anime about war or exploring antarctica or whatever without the planes and guns and soldiers being 12-year-old girls. Because neets will buy more figures of planes that are girls than they would just planes.

It's hard not to be cynical.

Interesting stuff still gets made sometimes. Mob psycho made me get back into anime. It's just too bad that female characters are written for appeal only. It feels like the primary purpose of the overwhelming majority of shows is to manipulate a specific demographic rather than tell any kind of story or express an original thought.

I just find it very telling about the target audience. How bad do you have it where you feel like a cuck or whatever if you see characters outside the shitty self insert MC get any kind of anything?! I mean when I think about how many of my oldest favorite couples in anime and how they're not the MC and then how that shit would go over today? It's insane.

I miss hair fluff in anime.

Hatsukoi Limited was probably the last series I was into where there were multiple MCs and multiple girls who got together. Every pair had an arc and every pair became a couple.

Attached: Hatsukoi Limited Manga.jpg (1024x736, 233K)

You know that annoying recurring joke where every background character gets really pissed off and violent if the hero gets a cute girl? I feel like those are the actual feelings of the fanbase.

I thought that was saber marionette j for a minute and I was worried that you'd had a stroke.

Because Natsumi is already perfect in her 90s animation charm and cuteness.

Attached: __kobayakawa_miyuki_and_tsujimoto_natsumi_you_re_under_arrest__ff17ae3d8b16f845c82d7b44d3bdfbda.jpg (1104x808, 174K)

>remake perfected shows
Remasters are necessary though.

Because 95% of old anime is shit if you remove pink glasses and stop deluding youself that everything with adult cast is good because it's a show for adults like me, adult mcadultman.

>Full Throttle basically completely wrote out Tokairin and never made so much a passing reference to him.

Attached: you're_under_arrest_-_03_-_love's_highway_stars__rs2_[A0435C78].mkv_snapshot_04.02_[2013.1 (640x480, 33K)

I'd watch a Bubblegum Crisis 2033 remake with Sonoda. It deserves one because it was cut short prematurely. The sequel (2040) deserves a remake in it's style too. I did not like the late 90's style.

Attached: c6fd62240f1ba06f88bd38483d68a943.jpg (1600x2270, 283K)

Better art style. New art seems to be computer influenced.
That said, you have AI that can simulate real art pieces in the style of authors so I don't see why computer influence should be that negative.

I miss lewd lesbian sci-fi adventures.

Attached: 1551311268152.gif (500x380, 1.87M)

2033 doesn't need to be remade it could just as easily get a continuation considering it basically was left unresolved. Forever ago there where rumors of a 2040 follow up but they never happened.

Attached: 1371584834404.jpg (440x441, 71K)

>teenage boy floating in front of twelve female faces
Harems don't sell in general with only handful of them being actually popular, the fuck are you talking about? The only shit that sells now is normie shit like opm or bnha, fujoshit, some idolshit and gacha promo-codes.

>Better art style
Personal taste.

I just miss sci fi in general. Though considering how fucked fantasy got by everything needing to be goddamn harem Dragon Quest MMO bullshit maybe it's better.

Attached: Crusher joe 1.jpg (1104x1110, 220K)

Depends on the show. There were some bad choices in the 90's and bad choices now.
80's seems to get away with it due to the particular style of the period. Anime simply was different back then.

Did you prefer 2033 or 2040 style though?
I didn't mind the style of 2040 that much, but I felt that 2033 had the better style.
The music on 2040... I don't even. That must have been made at the peak of nu-metal or some shit.
Compare that to 2033 which had synthpop/new wave music.

I was outraged at that one thing.

Isekai is killing fantasy and I think Franxx might spark more interest in sci-fi, cyberpunk and dystopian anime. The buzz on Yea Forums was unusual, even if the show never hit the nail on the head.

Gunsmith deserves a series.
Sonoda deserves shekels for perfecting art styles between 88-95.

Attached: 1552216783143.jpg (796x900, 160K)

Nice.

Attached: 1452299986613.jpg (640x480, 52K)

>how not to do a remake
You need to copy the styles of classics, not "modernise them".

>Franxx inspired

Now there's a distressing thought.

Attached: 1476783381150.png (720x528, 528K)

Spaceship Sagittarius was goat
youtube.com/watch?v=XuFPtK5IZb0

Attached: 1555625008164.jpg (690x388, 50K)

It is. But it did spark interest in some aspects of it.
They just did it wrong.

The dystopian sci-fi setting interested people.

I wouldn't mind a sorcerer hunters remake if they kept the old theme song. That shit was catchy af

>The dystopian sci-fi setting interested people.

Yeah but look all the western young adult destopian genre.

>western young adult destopian genre
Such as?
There are a few shows like Bladerunner 2049 which got interest.
Or are you talking more along the lines of Cowboy Bebop (as in western films)?

You know all that Hunger Games shit.

I wouldn't compare things to popcorn series like Hunger Games and Game of Thrones.

youtube.com/watch?v=LWpQDR8rnw8

Everything pretty much is popcorn shit these days though. Nerd stuff got trendy but none of the so called nerds actually have any real interest or attention pan so the best case scenario you can hope for is for things to be on the level of a marvel movie.

This. We need Criterion tier remasters.

Well I don't see why sci-fi can't be on that level. I mean star wars is a thing. Star-trek too.

full adaptation when

Attached: hungry.jpg (632x480, 32K)

>I mean star wars is a thing. Star-trek too.

These are perfect examples of classic sci fi being ruined for the sake of modern audiences. STD was exactly as it acronym implies and Disney Wars is a sick joke.

>

Attached: original.gif (680x510, 102K)

YUA first series (OAV eps 1-6 and 7-52 tv run) suffered from budgetary restrictions for a cel drawn tv show of its time, however it had something really special that's lacking in tons of shows... and that's having a lot of heart. YUA holds up and is still fun to watch, with enough attention to detail to propel the story and characters at the right times and keep it memorable. I'd say the last half in exploring Natsumi's life made it more than memorable for the series.

Out of all of Kosuke Fujishima's works, I believe this is the only one that got as many seasons as it did in comebacks, although they were mostly mediocre.

Attached: 71bdfe335471bedac716c98c4a9e35ac171ae189.jpg (1008x1412, 269K)

To me, I'd rather bring back the 80s rather than adapt the 80s to current time

FUCK THE CURRENT TIME. There's so much less passion compared to the 80s.

I want to bring it back, and when I make my game that will be the first step towards bringing back 80s anime to this era. Maybe it will be a drop in the water but it's better than nothing.

Attached: tumblr_nn4w70rPtD1t10h1oo7_500.gif (500x263, 742K)

Because nobody likes this old trash outside of few hipster faggots on Yea Forums.

>tumblr
>reddit spacing
>making shovelware trash
>muh good old times
Found the literal underage.

This show was my first ever exposure to "surprise grimdark" where this silly show suddenly got super serious towards the end.

Kek, I download gifs from various places and that makes me a "literal underage"? Get your head out of your ass dude.

And no, I wasn't "Around" at the 80s, but I watched many works from it, and alot of them have a fuck ton more passion than this current era's works. Not everything from this era of anime is shit, but you have to admit there's a fucking metric ton of crap flooding in now, the anime industry needs a reboot or some shit.

Old anime doesn't need remakes, they need hollywood adaptations.

It would be nice to have You're Under Arrest make a return with a proper budget this time around. What's the author up to these days?

And ruin the classics? no thanks

Attached: 48578578578.jpg (800x450, 87K)

No, they need either.
Look at Netflix to see how much fuckery "Hollywood adaptations" do to the source material.
I'd rather not have them adapted at all.

We should be glad that YUA got a very, very high quality movie back in the late 90s or early 2000s. I actually watched that shit in one of the projection rooms at Anime Expo.

The author recently got married to some young cosplayer he knocked up. Probably living an autopilot life after finishing up Ah My Goddess.

Hollywood adaptations will bring the franchise to mainstream audiences and will revive them.

Attached: alita.jpg (1920x1080, 250K)

>Hollywood adaptations

Edge Of Tomorrow was the only good one.

You mean like Boogiepop? Or did you mean Initial D? Ah, perhaps you meant the Sailor Moon remake?

There's no way to say this without sounding like a hipster "my sekret klub" douche but Ill say it anyways, MAINSTREAM AUDIENCES ARE A CANCER! They don't care about the source material, they just want a brand name so they can release dumbed down action block buster garbage. It happened to super heroes, it happened to star wars and it happened to star trek.

We can only hope. However I don't think too many source properties will have the luck of being produced by James Cameron and his colleagues.

Mainstream directors I can think of who will make good Hollywood adaptations if they respect the source material: Guillermo Del Toro, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, Brad Bird, off the top of my head.

Speed Racer was great.

>alot
>reddit spacing
>retarded opinions
Fuck off.

Like Ghost in the Shell?
Or Death Note?

When you get Alita and Edge of Tomorrow being the only adaptations that are "fine" and don't even follow much of the damn source material, we have a problem.
We shouldn't be adapting goddamn anime as films, they nearly always end in disaster because so much is needed to be removed or compressed.

The mainstream audiences weren't brought by these shit tier adaptations, and the good ones while they did bring some, only added minorly to the numbers.
They did not revive them. At all. And the bad adaptions did damage to the franchises involved. Look at Bionicle, it's reputation got FUCKED because of a terrible reboot. Don't think that anime is given the same leyway for serious bombs of movies.
We need QUALITY adaptions, if you adapt them, do it damn right. Don't make them movies, don't make them modern anime styled. There's plenty of studios who could do it right and in my opinion, I'd rather see those studios do new works in that older style.

Those are late 90's early 00's. They may need remasters at most.
We're talking remasters and potential remakes for anime that never got it's true adaptation.

Like Berserk.

Oh my god, I space, wow oh what a crime.
Fuck off fag. I'm not going to never paragraph my text you faggot. I don't give a fuck about leperfect grammar, it's fucking Yea Forums.

Attached: 224dac016a939aa02ecb20758a8738a0.jpg (499x372, 32K)

For those without reasonably completed adpations, I actually agree with you.
Berserk NEVER had been done in justice. Even the original, while nice, was barely completed. So I can see your point there. HOWEVER.

I don't want it done in "Hollywoof style" or "Modern anime style".

Because we need a return to quality and care, and frankly I think there's only a few studios that can handle 80s-90s styled anime well.
David Productions would be one of them.

Oh, I'm actually adapting a song into a Redline styled animation. Can't wait till I'm done with that, will take a while though. But your example is a once in a blue moon example tho.

>my computer
He looks like "My Cresta" type of guy.

EH not Ridley Scott or Spielberg, they've really bombed more recently. I want still passionate directors. Idk about the others as much. Maybe they might do well.

I don't think it's the mainstream audience but more that the corperations know they'll buy it and don't bother. Look at TLJ for an example of even mainstream audiences rejecting shit. They do have a quality limit.

Not sure whether to commend that or feel bad for him. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

>When you get Alita and Edge of Tomorrow being the only adaptations that are "fine" and don't even follow much of the damn source material, we have a problem.

The mainstream audience will never stick around. Look at the MCU. For as many billions of dollars those movies make the comic sales are still in the shitter. They buy up all these anime IPs so they can say BASED ON THE LEGENDARY ANIME but the casual don't care about the anime. They might watch the new thing but they won't go back. I had go workers who claimed to be huge anime nerds and were hyped for Alita but refused to touche the manga or OVAs.

Nice boogeyman bait.

Well, sex does sell in that case.

Except most of this crap still manages to be super sexless. DxD might have Issei oogle boobies and say he loves them every seven seconds and the girls are naked so much they may as well never even wear shirts but there's always something cockblocking even when there's no logical reason. They want to be sexed up but then stop short because, well I can only assume the writers don't know what sex actually is.

Start with the Greeks

>Nadesico
Actual ending never fucking ever.
What a travesty after a great S1.

Attached: nadesico.webm (640x480, 181K)

It's actually orctaku who will stop buying figs and merch if a character has sex because they aren't a virgin any more (never mind the fact that they aren't fucking real). By making a female character have sex, you remove most of their merchandising ability in this industry.

If you don't think Nadesico had an ending than I think you might have missed the point. And that's sad, because Nadesico is a lot of things, but subtle is not one of them.

Attached: Nadesico - 26 [BD.720p] [Iznjie Biznjie] [8FD1EAB7].mkv_snapshot_20.37_[2018.01.16_06.46.41].jpg (960x720, 125K)

Me too.

Sequels are betters, remakes are just a plain waste of time.

I wish we had 80s/90s remakes of post-2000 series

Attached: kurumeh.png (203x220, 63K)

Me too

>All that great shit
What the fuck went wrong?

Attached: 1525808638776.jpg (1920x1080, 203K)

>Japanese people are not retarded like Hollywood

Attached: 1500197340793.png (640x466, 714K)

I fucking hate this remake obsession people have these days

>the show's audience didn't sperg out online and throw massive temper tantrums until the studios were afraid of giving any female character a romance option that wasn't the protagonist
Fucking this. Shows like Dirty Pair could not be made anymore without otakus going full fucking butthurt over it.

Attached: [Exiled-Destiny]_Dirty_Pair_TV_Ep15_Subbed_(DC8229B5).mkv_snapshot_22.13_[2018.10.27_23.40.29].jpg (640x480, 58K)

>everything with adult cast is good
Of course not every adult cast anime is good but nowadays there is hardly any adult cast anime outside of like two or three if any.

Agreed. When exactly did this change happen? As recently as 2006 we had Magipoka which wasn't afraid to show girls being interested in random guys and openly discussing potential boyfriends. And absolutely no yuri undertones.

Attached: please continue.png (768x576, 812K)

Sure, zoomer.

Attached: stay pleb.png (640x480, 396K)

>I just miss sci fi in general
And saddest part is that it is dead also in west.

>Most anime from the 80s and 90s wasn't about bland protagonists being surrounded by a hoard of preteen girls for bullshit reasons.
VN influence.

More like no influences outside of otaku subculture at all. Nowadays it's mostly otaku-targeted shows influenced by the previously successful other otaku-targeted shows

That and also a lot directors in pre-2000 times didn't look for influence from anime. That is why a lot anime back then had a lot cinema shots and styles in them.

>didn't look for influence from anime
What i meant was that they just didn't look influence from anime and looked from other other things like cinema.

>SOUL MEME
opinion discarded

because the original will always be better

they would make it worse

Thanks for reminding me that video games should never get anime adaptations and that the new YU-NO sucks balls.

They are already perfect.

No please, those were shit

Uh forgetting about Naruto?

I wish they ended up together.

Attached: [RMX] Hatsukoi Limited 08 [EA8D0663].mkv_snapshot_19.29_[2019.05.27_13.54.35].jpg (1920x1080, 150K)

Shit taste.

It was heavily implied that he got them all pregnant at some point when his children helped him. When or if the author will address this, we don’t know.

kill yourself

they are not but ok, maybe with videogames.

Finally managing to get this in HD, but no one will really never ever translate this?

Attached: [Kirion] Shounan Bakusouzoku - 03 (BD 960x720 x264 QAAC)_00:16:35_01.jpg (960x1419, 151K)

>you can't escape the fashion of the 70's
And 80's. But is that a bad thing? Is our current fashion any better?
>should anime be fashion neutral
user, read a book

It a was good show

Why the mangaka didnt finished early?

Echi scenes were fine

Problem with David Pro is that they lack good productions, very uneven, I can see the influence of old Gonzo since the studio was made by ex Gonzo guys.

Even in settings where the protaganists where still younger adults they were still adult enough to not be stuck in high school. This goes for western media too but it really does feel like a lot of people these days can't "relate" to anyone who isn't exactly like themselves anymore. At some point "relatability" stopped being about just having some basic human empathy.

So how were they captured and experimented?

Well that's less an issue with the series ending and more an issue with the shitty edgy sequels that shouldn't exist at all. Nadesico's TV ending was a fine stopping point. The whole thing was basically a giant piss take about how wars don't actually end because some band of plucky anime heroes beat a random badguy. The feelings of resentment among the warring factions don't magically go away and mysteries don't always get solved.

It's kind of a cheap out to not tie up loose ends, I admit and it's probably a case of the staff looking for a way to cover that fact but I think when it's something like Nadesico it actually kind of works.

Attached: Nadesico - 26 [BD.720p] [Iznjie Biznjie] [8FD1EAB7].mkv_snapshot_21.34_[2019.05.27_16.40.16].jpg (960x720, 115K)

Eat shit nostalfag
Retro sometimes fucking sucks. Not everything is great like rose of Versalles or ashita no Joe.

Not as great as those but still better than what we have now.

I don't think some of the old ideas would work today. MC's face covering bangs, weird "fashionable" female clothes, and that nigger is the icing on the cake. What old games did better though were color palettes. As always, creativity blooms against technical restrictions and things get stagnant when technology allows for almost anything.

I'm in the same boat. Maybe Orphan will pick it up next.

Because it would just be a downgrade.

>A lot of anime back then weren't animated well
>implying the 80s was less well-animated than the 2010s

Remastering means reshooting the original master, not adding flares. Since the anime from that time used analog equipment, they can hypothetically reshoot it in however high a definition they want.

Assuming they have the cels and the equipment to do that. I think cels haven't even been produced in a while so finding the equipment to reshoot them might be really hard. And cels are things you can buy from various shows and if they're not for sale they probably got rid of them, or at least the majority of them.

Every "remaster" that's ever been released is just scanning the film that shot the cels at a higher resolution. I don't think there's ever been a case where they actually reshot the cels with high quality digital. And most TV series were shot on 16mm film, which reaches a ceiling for quality before 35mm does. OVAs and movies have a better chance of having used 35mm film. Movies especially probably almost always used 35mm film. But then if you go this way, most releases are grain filtered, which destroys the image anyway.

Remakes are unnecessary. What we need are sequels, prequels and side stories that remain 100% true to the spirit of the originals.

Alita was about as quality as you could get, followed the source material admirably for being translated into a mainstream movie script, and miracle of all miracles the guy who directed Desperado turned out to be a decent sci-fi director as well. I'd be willing to bet if James Cameron had took the helm completely instead of having Avatar monopolize all his time, there'd be a huge explosion for high quality anime adaptations.

Funny, a lot of the Alita/Gunnm manga sold out on Amazon while Alita was airing. It definitely spurred interest with lots of folks who weren't into it before.

If I recall she was a very attractive cosplayer and about 20-25 years younger than him. He made out better than most mangakas probably.

Also user, being a loving parent is one of the greatest joys and happiness in life.

I forgot how much good stuff came out in 1986?

All good times eventually become bad times

Are there any good car animation experts alive or in the buisness? What was the last good anime to have well animated cars and initial D remakes don't count, because that was shit too. The best part about gunsmith cats and riding bean was the gun play, which is might be animated alright and the car chases. there are no more good car animators around anymore much less in the era of CG.

I wouldn't say you are the only one

If nothing else I appreciate the fancy new hardcover editions. They where expensive but oh so nice.

>it'd only ruin it anyway.
>remake Initial D
>remove all eurobeat
What in Gods name were they thinking?

>They add in wubstep

the show's audience didn't sperg out online and throw massive temper tantrums
Really? Go find any old anime fan and all him about which Ranma fiancé was best? Then tell him Akane was. That series almost created the sperg reaction. Then go ask about Rei/Asuka.
Sperg reaction is not new

>Go find any old anime fan and all him about which Ranma fiancé was best?
Christ, son. This topic still rages the finest ad-hominem debates on Yea Forums. The amount of love and attention Ranma received on usenet/mailing lists/geocities/etc was astounding. Still my favorite overall series to date, and I genuinely miss the tight-knit Ranma fanfiction community from back then.

Also, Ucchan was best girl... but now that I'm older Akane was the best fiancee.

Attached: 1311786744288.jpg (800x880, 76K)

Too bad it was shit

I kinda liked the Ghost in the Shell movie.
It wasn't nearly as terrible as I feared.

Idk, I always partial to Kodachi
And that's my point. The whole rabid fanbase is not new.

Attached: 4758-495560741.jpg (500x380, 31K)

Man, I liked the designs of the first season of You're Under Arrest so much more than the later seasons, even the characters that had minimal changes felt like they lost something.

and I wanted more than just the first

censorship thing is only the tip of the iceberg

All the girls in Ranma 1/2 had wonderful appeal, Kodachi included. Her design is one of the most beautiful in the series.

Nadesico doesn't need a remake, it's great as it is and better than Evangelion. Arguably even bettet than Konosuba as the top parody in anime.

>What a travesty
Didn't they foreshadow Season 1's ending was going to be intentionally shitty by making the ending of Gekiganger shitty? I thought that was the joke.

Attached: [Nii-sama] Kidou Senkan Nadesico - 07 [1080p][BD][HEVC][10bit][AAC].mkv (00.03.07.270).jpg (1440x1080, 1.55M)

Konosuba's not even a fucking parody. It's the same exact shit it's supposed to be making fun of but has the characters stop to scream about wacky genre tropes. It's complete garbage.

Gekiganger was used to do a lot of things. Foreshadowing was among them but it was also meant to act as a major parallel between the romanticized and actual attitudes towards war.

Attached: Nadesico - 12 [BD.720p] [Iznjie Biznjie] [B832C3A6].mkv_snapshot_17.27_[2018.04.05_00.23.25].jpg (960x720, 109K)

They just seemed to be great because it was 80s or 90s. If you saw them remaked, you'd instantly notice how shit they are.

Konosuba IS a parody, don't know what you're onto.

the Japs are too busy actually being creative and taking risks making new things instead of being soulless cash-grab sóy-llennials who keep remaking shit-ass nostalgia bait (and switch sjw bullshit) instead of new ideas.

No it's fucking not. Self awareness does not a parody make.

>the Japs are too busy actually being creative and taking risks

Im sorry I can't hear you over the sound of all the isekai garbage.

Attached: laughing rangas.gif (200x200, 742K)

I love You’re Under Arrest, but you do not want a remake of it. Imagine the entire thing being as shit as the reboot third season.

Discovery's main problem is making the Spock character central. Spock works because he's NOT the lead, he's kind of insufferable and gets put down, but you can't really do that to your lead in the same way.

Anyway, more to the topic of the thread, I feel like a lot more remakes don't happen because the creators individual flair often is the core, making a 0079 remake without Tomino at the helm would be weird. Like how the Yamato remakes totally banjax the Matsumotoism and make it much more generic.

Even if Konosuba was a parody, it definitively stopped being long ago.

Is this any good? I mean it has a lot to live up to so if it's not good compared to the original is it good on it's own?

Discovery's main problem was that it was made to pander to the casual movie going block buster funding douche bag audiences who just want senseless explosions and quips.

Star Trek is not about that. Some of the best episodes don't even have spaceships at all. Do you think a modern audience is gonna have the patience or attention span to watch a court room drama about whether or not Data is a toaster?

>the thing I get triggered by is the only thing that exists
not to mention even that "garbage" is still new shows with new ideas and not American Capitalist Trash: Part Deux: The Return: Revengeance: Season 17

neck yourself, shitposter.

It tells the story up to the point it ends much better than the old OVAs, outside of maybe ONE scene that the OVA's did better.

I'm still kinda mad they took out Yang's huge rant after the Patriotic Knights attacked his house though.

Sure they will, you just have to frame it in a less completely flat way than TV in the 80s-90s was shot. There were plenty of episodes that felt like more classic Trek in there, they just bit down on the overarching story thing too soon. Star Trek has always been rough for the first few seasons, I expect discovery to find it's legs about the same time TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT did, about 3-4 seasons in.

>but you can't really do that to your lead in the same way.
millennials are literal and figurative, physical and emotional cucks. they love it when the "white" male lead gets shit on over and over.

So it's a more to the point story whereas in the OVA you need to be patient for shit to kick off?

It's more like it's less noisy. The OVA added a bunch of characters who did nothing in the story for a long time and had them around early on. While the new adaption develops the people who do things at this part of the story more early on. Also DnT doesn't take away like 50% of Yang's character and reduce him to the mild mannered side pretty much exclusively.

You fucking bastard I'm just about to watch the last two episodes of Nadesico thank you for the spoilers.

it's too much condensed and serialized story-arc focused drama and not nearly enough universe-building adventures and actual character development.

I think a mistake a lot of writers make these days is trying to make "realistically flawed" characters and instead creating a cast full of unlikeable assfucks while failing to realize what actually makes "good" TV characters is simply making them good people and giving the viewer time to familiarize and attach to characters that they view as role models and heroes, not just a bunch of dishonest, scummy doucheturds in a space opera where things constantly get shittier and shittier and nobody you want to win ever really wins "just like my real millennial life lmao"

It's FAR closer to the book than the OVA is and DnT has shown us more of the world than the OVA had at this point.

oh, sorry. I misquoted. I meant to quote the guy who mentioned trek

Well that's also me so that works out.

That's just modern TV though, syndication isn't the same beast it was back in the day, so audiences expect more story follow up rather than just having a series where they can miss 3 episodes and not have a problem with following the show. They just need time and experience making this work with a Trek show, and ideally to not have Spock be the viewpoint character, I can't stress how much I feel like focusing on who, in a regular series would be a 2nd or 3rd character is our eyes. If we saw TOS through Spock's eyes Kirk and Bones would come off as dickheads half the time.

What do you mean user?

I guess it went Ranma -> Eva -> Love Hina, with the last one finally fucking up everything, even if it's not discussed as much as the first two.

This.

>sóy-llennials who keep remaking shit-ass nostalgia bait (and switch sjw bullshit) instead of new ideas

Romance became the focal point of the recent arc. Megumin and Kazuya have been overshadowing everything in the novels.

>It tells the story up to the point it ends much better than the old OVAs
In the OVA, Fork has his breakdown AFTER his plan goes to shit.
In DNT, Fork has his breakdown BEFORE his plan goes to shit, which is stupid.

When the OVA added in original material, it enhanced the universe, like the FPA soldier and the Imperial civilian falling in love. DNT feels so empty and soulless in comparison.

And DNT is so incompetent that they couldn't even finish the first book. What a disaster.

Romances are boring as fuck.

They only had 12 episodes, at least they didn't cut fundamental scenes that establish the main character's entire internalisation. Just downplayed it. The OVA took what, 16 episodes to get to Amritar proper?

And Fork's plan was clearly dying and it was Bewcock's words that broke him down, having his authority getting undermined like that, his plan insulted and run ragged. And for the stuff DnT doesn't do it has other stuff, like the desperate kids staring down the FPA officer after he flees the mob. Or Yang's flashbacks to his father and the academy (which is the best scene in DnT)

>And Fork's plan was clearly dying
How?

Are you sure that you're not remembering the OVA instead?

>literally all the supply lines are crashing, revolts are kicking off everywhere and the admirals in charge are telling him they're about to disregard the entire plan and withdraw with or without authorisation.

Jap boomers don't have an interest in them and there doesn't seem to be '90s nostalgia in Japan and Bubble Era nostalgia doesn't seem to extend to anime.

So isn't every fantasy isekai dragon quest knock off.

>They only had 12 episodes

Why even do this shit at all then? If even going in you know you won't have near the resources needed why bother when most people would sooner just see the original anyways.

>literally all the supply lines are crashing
You're thinking of the OVA. In DNT, Kircheis goes to blow up the supply lines AFTER Fork is already down.

Also remember the kind of telling off Bewcock gives him is way less routine in Japanese than it is in English. He's going in HARD and that shit isn't normal.

Because they're gonna do more? like how the old ova got made and released over like 12 years?

They literally say the supplies are on the way, but they're not going to get there in time. The destruction is the final and ultimate nail in the coffin. They're already being forced to loot.

And the reason the supplies are slow ties into the themes the story is hammering in at this point, that the FPA politics and bureaucracy are making things sluggish and inefficient.

Of course, yuri romances are better normal romances.

>They literally say the supplies are on the way, but they're not going to get there in time.
The omniscient narrator says that, but the characters themselves don't know yet. Yang and Ulanhu still have have a week of supplies left.

The panicking starts too early, and Fork breaks down too early, because DNT made a few mistakes. But because you want to defend it, you force your brain to remember the details incorrectly.

>but the characters themselves don't know yet.

Yes they do, they've had to start looting. They're practically out of supplies by the time the convoy starts moving. You're the one remembering things incorrectly.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Die Neue These - 11 [720p].mkv_snapshot_07.09_[2019.0 (1280x720, 103K)

Yeah, they're already looting with a week of supplies left. You don't think something's wonky with that?

Some fleets are holding out, others aren't. The start of the revolt isn't even as clear cut in the books/DnT. There's no scene of raids, just a revolt starts because people think the FPA is hoarding food.

Or they could just look at the original anime or the original manga or novel or game it's based on...

>The start of the revolt isn't even as clear cut in the books/DnT.
Then perhaps we can agree that the OVA handled it better.

Having the supply lines actually blow up is a much better justification for mass panic and Fork breaking down.

It still beaten Code Geass unless you saw and thought it was shot.

But it's not, because he breaks down due to Bewcock going fucking wild at him. Again, the tirade that Bewcock gives him isn't normal. It's intense as fuck.

Mangaka died a long time ago.

So what? OVA has that too. OVA is better because it has that AND MORE.

Because 9 times out of 10 remakes are of vastly inferior quality to the classics, especially nowadays when we have to put up with hysterical progs injecting their politics into everything they can get their hands on.

Him breaking down first sets up how utterly lax Lobos is about the whole thing. It's all a big chain of incompetence from the back, if any one time the front line commanders had been listened to they could have avoided the catastrophe. Him breaking down breaks down the chain of command and leaves them adrift. It's supposed to contrast the professional and driven Imperials.

>wanting remakes or remasters
Fuck remakes and remasters, they are low effort, easy money cash grabs.
Want to watch an anime from the 80s or 90s? Then watch an anime from the 80s or 90s, no remake necessary!

Lupin part 5 is fucking dope, they nailed it on so many levels. props to italy

Yeah just look at the low effort that went into Kitarou and Dororo. Whoa.