Do you buy manga?

Do you buy manga?

Attached: IMG_1047.jpg (1000x600, 202K)

Used to when i was a kid, but not anymore since onemanga.

No.

i buy 2-3 volumes of semi-obscure series per year from japan

Attached: 205670l.jpg (422x600, 183K)

Yes, but hunting for the bonus illustrations is a big hassle

So worth it though

Digitally, yeah.

Only if the translations are dead usually
I wanna buy physical but I live in a third world shithole so I can only do digital

Yeah, I always follow about a ten manga series at a time. But most of my finances are going towards artbooks, key animation frames books, subculture magazines (Eureka, MdN, AnimeStyle and Febri are what I follow regularly), books of production materials and animation analysis publications. Also some light novels and general literature from Japan.

One problem I'm dealing with as of late is seriously running out of space in my flat. Not really sure of what I should do… buy a larger apartment or a house? That sounds like a hassle. Maybe buy a shed or a garage, safeguard it against wind, moisture and cold and keep the books there? Seems like this could go really wrong. Stock a bunch of books at my parents house? Not really want to ride there every time I want to go back to a random series. So maybe I'll have to go Kurata way and just rent a second flat in the same building and keep the books there. But that sounds like a waste of money I could instead spend on more books. Anyone got some advice?

Yup. Mostly Japanese releases now.
English sometimes too (only Yen Press and Seven Seas - Viz and other similar culturized shit is not even worth my time, not just money).
I won't ever buy Manga released in my country because all publishers are treating thier audience like complete retards. Imagine something worse than commie and gg together. And they are additionally redrawing all SFX sounds which is yet alone a reason to shit on them.

>buying digital

I do if there's no translation or free rip anywhere.
If you buy manga to "support the author", you're a pathetic loser.

>you will never be a sanpaku-eyed girl's pet manlet
FEELS BAD

What's wrong with that

>Sanpaku
Her eyes go beyond sanpaku, I can see all four whites.

Attached: fnaso92b4sj21.jpg (4032x3024, 1.71M)

I think I've seen you on r/mangacollectors

never
I hate read manga

I would if I had the money, one day when I open my cafe I’ll have a big book collection for customers to read with a sizeable manga section

i always wondered, who is still buying it?
i haven't been to a con since like 2012, last stuff i bought was the old colored english FOTNS, which sadly wasn't finished.

i go to the stores sometimes, but people look at manga and don't buy it. is it not popular?

Literally no sense.

Yeah
It looks so much better printed

Attached: 20190520_184159~01~01.jpg (3024x4032, 2.39M)

>ajin
Basado
>gantz
Mega cringe

no, im too broke

Both are normalfaggy shit

?

>this is actually getting an English release

Attached: 1532558971282.jpg (447x456, 98K)

Hope you didn't pay full price for that used good.

My mom used to buy me Naruto's and DB's when i was younger

Yes. I support manga that get official releases if I like them. No endless shounen shit.

I would if I could read JP

Lack of space is one of the reasons Nips pay full price for digital copies.

Buy them and read them to learn. It's what I'm doing.

Lots of thin books.

Attached: 1558888023268.jpg (2282x1774, 1.02M)

What's the fish for?

Just moved so I haven't filled in all the shelves yet. These days I collect more novels than mangoes though. I also have a couple of R-18 stuff.

Attached: IMG_20190527_001036.jpg (4032x3024, 2.89M)

whats the name of the one on the right?

Why does Manga Rock get bad rep, ignore the ‘subscription’ side of it, without paying it’s still perfectly fine

I use comixology. $8.00 a volume that I could read any time from any device. The pages are much easier to read with their web viewer.

They "steal" scans from groups without giving them credit. Also they upload pirated scans from official translation.

whire JK

Only some One Piece volumes

are you shure? i cant find it anywhere

>yonpaku

Not very often anymore. I have quite a few manga from the mid 00s that I bought. I just recently bought the first volume of Witch Hat Atelier that came out but that's the only thing I've bought in a while.

>Also they upload pirated scans from official translation.
What's wrong with this if they can get away with it? I've been reading some stuff on Mangadex recently that's been trash quality and it would be nice to be able to read official digital releases that don't look bad without having to download them.

I'm buying a shitload of series, but I don't have the space to actually display anything. I'll probably start displaying when I hopefully buy a house.

Yup, once I grew up have the chalice mindset that it's okay for me to reap the benefits of all of the different entertainment I like without paying for it, I learned that every once in awhile should pick up a manga or anime I like on Blu-ray, because the only way they get money it is through streaming rights and physical sales, piracy it's okay I think if you can't afford it, but if you can like myself, pay to show appreciation, but if you don't want to that's cool too

>What's wrong with this if they can get away with it
Chance of getting their ass shut down. That’s why Mangadex doesn’t let people upload official translations

Are those Lone Wolf and Cub volumes uncomfortable to read with how thick they are?

What is best in terms of shelves, this or ?
Wouldn't the white one reflect light on the top of the books and turn them yellow over time?

I've got a copy of Barefoot Gen that my librarian friend was giving away, and I want copies of Solanin and Punpun. My gf has some Ito and Girl From the Other Side

We're picky about what media we own versus borrowing it from friends or the library

I tend to buy manga I enjoy from less know artist or series I enjoy that I absolutely love. I’ll probably end up buying Chainsaw Man when that gets an official printing

good thread

How is it that the English manga industry manages to be less cancerous that the Anime industry?

It doesn't. It takes years for any manga to be licensed unless it's a popular battle shonen or isekai and that's if it gets licensed at all. And if it's licensed by Viz there's a 50% chance that the release will be shit.

It may be slow but the localization is better

Everyday until you like it.

I don't have any reference point for that but I've seen tons of fuckups in translation or weird localization choices that would seem more at home in 2002 than post-2010.

Manga is generally better when read from a volume. I try to buy manga I am likely to want to reread and try to prevent myself from memeing myself into buying bullshit.

Is it me or tankbons really fucking expensive? I was looking at buying the whole Bleach manga and it would end up costing me hundreds. Why do that when I can just read it on my tablet.

yeah but typically only ones I know i'll like. usually i'll read at least some of it digitally first and then i'll pick it up used or on sale. i used to think that the only difference was it being tactile but after reading physically i realized how superior of an experience it is. it really can't be replicated properly digitally with comics and manga. you either use a tablet and be comfortable but have to shrink the page and completely butcher two page spreads or read at your desk which i fucking hate. plus a lot of them do hold their value pretty well if you ever decide to sell them and you can even make a profit sometimes/break even if you're on top of sales.

I Shaved. Then I Brought a High School Girl Home.

To tell you the truth, I don’t typically buy manga, I buy books. I’m not saying that in a snobbish way. I buy classics - Tolstoy, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, James Joyce, Tennyson, Rilke, Goethe, William Gaddis, Julio Cortazar, Ford Madox Ford.

But I put my HxH volumes on the same shelves as them. Proudly. There’s a feeling that resonates deeply with me - that the storming of the palace onward is capital-A ART. That the series’ main focus is to render humanity and nothing more or less. The way all the extremes of human nature are displayed in the Chimera Ant arc feels like reading a sort of contemporary Odyssey. It is epic in the original sense of the word -- something majestic that shines light on the nature of living.

Attached: IMG_043.jpg (4032x3024, 1.36M)

You’re a sperg.

I'm waiting to buy Kaiji when it comes out

Attached: 77212.png (209x249, 59K)

Same

I hope you achieve your dreams, user!

>he doesn't own a shelf salmon
>he doesn't even know what it's for

Attached: 1554256791292.png (1280x720, 513K)

I didn't for ~10 years (since I was in high school), but recently started buying APOSIMZ because I like the art. Otherwise I will read it online. It pisses me off that most official translations come out six months late or more.

Rate my haul from the weekend

Attached: 15589102824018962343252232682082.jpg (4032x3024, 2.91M)

for the shelf, a shellfish

>Bride’s Story
I saw like 7 volumes of that stuff at goodwill for five bucks a volume. Good haul that day

It's so damn pretty

Honestly I’m not a fan of the story but the art is very pretty, bought it literally because of it

I would say you have to be in to quiet SoL stuff or be a big history nerd like me to like it. There is a few chapters where it turns into a battle manga though, very violent

What I've accumulated from Japan.

Attached: manga.png (1471x708, 2.77M)

I have more, but this is my favourite.

Attached: ariamanga.jpg (1280x960, 194K)

>Thermae Romae
Holy shit, that got an english release?

Attached: 1532345081034.jpg (290x304, 9K)

Bro I had 1 and 3 and had been looking for 2 for so long

Nowadays I buy more digital raw manga than physical.
I still buy physical for my favorite series though.

I'm redoing my shelf atm, but I just got the final volume of Shoulder a coffin Kuro the other day...and two volumes of that camping manga

Attached: IMG_20190526_173735.jpg (4032x3024, 3.26M)

When it gets released out of japan.

>onemanga
But onemanga was taken down.

kinda expensive these days in a country with unstable economy. Before those days, yeah.

Yes, I draw for a living myself so I know how ridiculously hard it is to make money in this industry, so I support artists whenever possible. Also cause physical > digital nine times out of ten.

they're absolutly awful don't buy them

Out of the like 150 volumes of manga I own, I only bought like 2 of them in a store, the rest I ordered online. I have no clue how good manga sales are in brick and mortar stores, but if most buyers are like me then we do 99% of our manga shopping online.

Usually I pick 4-5 series to follow and buy until they are complete or a good amount of the arc is complete.

Currently I am buying and have all of
Ancient Magus Bride
City
Kiss and Lilly White
Galko
and To Your Eternity

Yeah. I also buy LNs.

Awfully similar to Chaika judging by the name alone. Which came first?

Kuro came out in the early 2000s.

Chaika came out in 2010.

That being said, while they both have fantasy elements, Kuro is actually an adventure 4-koma manga and seldom has action. I rather compare it to Kino's Journey (but with an overarching story).

>yandere kanojo

you absolute fucking legend