What happened to American voice acting

>watch a modern anime dub
>voice acting is generally stilted, completely off in terms of tone and flows really awkwardly as if it's a shitty youtube parody
>listen to the fucking dub of crayon shin chan from a million years ago
>actually competent voice work that sounds really good
>there aren't awkward and long pauses between each line
>the tone and flow is actually good
so how come American voice work used to actually be good but then went to total shit, what the fuck happened?

Attached: 66251515.gif (326x226, 1.26M)

>Watching dubs
That aside, I'm pretty sure the US's problem is the closed talent pool and lockdown established voice actors have through unions. How many times will you hear the same voice actor playing multiple characters in the same show?

Barely anyone watches dubs anymore so no one puts in effort

Anime stopped getting TV ratings thus stopped being profitable. Doesn't help that TV in general has gone down the tubes. Not to mention that while anime has gotten a larger cult following in the West it is viewed more negatively in the public eye than ever(its for pedophiles etc)

>watching shakugan no shana dub
>no effort to emulate the tsundere character
>VA changes between seasons
When was voice acting decent? more than 20 years ago maybe?

Attached: 1501544785035.png (447x638, 332K)

because we have access to the original shows and the western anime boom is long dead. nobody gives a shit anymore so you get shit dubs

>Watching dubs

Attached: smug22.gif (720x534, 549K)

Because dubs like Shin-chan weren't done with actors recording their lines separately as audio files and emailing them to Funimation.

Idk about that, normalfriends are watching anime on netflix nowadays, introducing them into the medium, it's becoming more mainstream than ever
Kim Kardashian posted about DiTF for christ sake

it's simply a matter of effort, shin chan had actual voice cast talent and was recorded properly, as was FMA.
The problem is most studios cut corners and are lazy, as Americans generally are. So you get shit products a lot

, Robin Williams was a known anime nerd. Samuel L. Jackson famously quipped that he not only liked "normal" anime, but hentai as well. Singer Hayley Williams once took to the stage in Blood: The Last Vampire cosplay. Kanye West, Zac Efron, James Kyson Lee, Christian Bale, Tobey Maguire, Will Smith, Daniel Radcliffe, Andrew W.K., RZA, Megan Fox, Avril Lavine, Robert Pattinson, Hulk Hogan, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ronda Rousey, Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Brown and Snoop Dogg have all, at one time or another, admitted to being fans of anime.

Guillermo del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, Darren Aronofsky, and probably many more directors I'm forgetting have cited Evangelion and Miyazaki stuff as influences

I'd chalk it up to trying to be too faithful to the source material and giving lukewarm performances, rather than just wiping their ass with the script and dubbing the show like they would an over the top kids cartoon.

I'd rather watch something obscenely bad than something safe, boring, and all around inferior.

Attached: foolish.png (574x428, 390K)

Videogames ate up the ones with actual range. The ones left had to deal with an sjw circlejerk.

Just look up most of the old XRO & Bang-Zoomers.

The Ocean Group canucks were somewhat insulated from the blowback, not dealing with the clusterfuck in Texas.

Though it doesn't really matter any more, as VA work is far more profitable for Videogames, and at that point you're dealing with LA. Which is a whole new level of circlejerking.

Attached: twospiderman.png (480x640, 664K)

Crayon Shin Chan doesn't usually worry about lip flaps and proper translation due to the comedic nature of the show. Most comedies tend to get away with that. When you have something meaningful to talk about, you need to translate this info properly and fit it into lip flaps, leading to changes and different direction. They had to change Beerus's title from God of Destruction to Destroyer in the dub only because it fits better into three lip flaps.

Honestly it's just because there's no money in it or voice acting in general outside of long character contract stints or being a preexisting famous actor. Dub budgets are hilariously shoestring, with most of the money for the product going to the licensing and marketing. Most people just do it as a gateway to a better gig or because it's easy money.

The dub of Shin-chan is full of made up shit.

>The Ocean Group canucks were somewhat insulated from the blowback, not dealing with the clusterfuck in Texas.
this
anything that someone would consider a good "dub" 90% chance is was dubbed in Canada

its fucking retarded we live in the digital age you can cast passionate weebs to do VA work and do everything online tons of people would be willing to do this for peanuts or even for free but no muh union

It was never good to begin with

you're just a nostalgic mongoloid, dubs have never been good.

I have to imagine you're either memeing or genuinely underage to have this opinion

I'm much older than you (if you were growing up when crayon shin chan was on TV). I'm telling you, it was never good. Only retarded people feel nostalgia.

oh ok, so you're just a fucking retard, I get it

>everyone in the thread calling you a retard
>"it's not me who's wrong, it's everybody else!"

Attached: 1266293449123.jpg (184x184, 5K)

VA was never decent. Only time it may be considered decent is by accident.

Calling that an opinion would be inaccurate. I'd call it 'not having any thoughts of your own and blindly accepting everything Yea Forums tells you at face value without ever questioning why it's considered the status quo to begin with'.

American voice acting was last good when American tv will still making lots of cartoon shows, so basically the early 90's.

Ever since then the big budget animated movies just use famous regular actors meaning there's no money for actual voice acting talent. So we are left with shit.