Goblin Slayer Criticism

A lot of criticism directed towards Goblin Slayer I see is how the world is inconsistent, how no one reacts to the goblin threat.

Allow me to explain. The intention of Goblin Slayer is not to have a "realistic" world, but to emulate certain conventions and tropes, in this case a Dungeons & Dragons style world. Yes, Dungeons & Dragons, where gold used to give experience points for unknown reasons, where monsters guarded treasure for unknown reasons, where many different types of monsters lived together in claustrophobic "dungeons" - also, for unknown reasons. The list goes on. But we know that all these things do have a reason, it's simply external. It's for gameplay, plain and simple.

So why are settlements not reacting to the goblin threat? Why have incompetent adventurers deal with the goblins? Because that's how D&D works, and Goblin Slayer is clearly trying to emulate D&D.

"Why does Goblin Slayer get to 'break' the laws of the game by applying 'realistic' logic?", some might ask. The answer? Because it's an emulation of an existing isekai trope, where the protagonist "breaks" the rules of the game.

It's simply unfair to criticize a work for something while missing the intent. The criticism would be fair if Goblin Slayer tried to be "realistic" and have an internally consistent world, but it's clearly not trying to.

I myself am no Goblin Slayerfag by any stretch of the word. There are, of course, actual wrong things with Goblin Slayer, but the setting is not one of them.

Attached: Goblin-Slayer.jpg (1400x700, 841K)

Too many words

Attached: 1533757108402.png (472x441, 139K)

So you're telling me HEA is perfect? Alright then.

Attached: 1549076739477.jpg (580x1205, 296K)

>Too many words
spotted the Yea Forumsermin

They are,but they die too quickly because they trust their personal experience (which has been pointed out in the anime and the manga) more than thinking about the reality.
They are incompetent because they are inexperienced on dealing with goblins,the reason is above.
Improve your wording and don't waste space,ESL.

>ESL
elaborate

English Second Language
>Why have incompetent adventurers deal with the goblins?
I can comprehend that this is supposed to be a rethorical question,but it lowers the value of impact when it's badly worded.

How would you word it?

Nothing wrong with the way that question is worded buddy.

Attached: 1554216357875.jpg (337x535, 66K)

I'm not your english teacher,this time i'll help you,but next time,instead of using your time to navigate Yea Forums,pour it in learning english so you can stop OUTing yourself as an ESLfag:
>Why do incompetent adventurers have to deal with the goblins?

Attached: Hah~.gif (370x208, 242K)

bump

second bump

Only complaint I've heard over and over is about the rape. Nobody here would take that criticism seriously though. I don't.

Why is reverse image search so shit, can I get a sauce for this boss?

third bump

Are you serious?

Don't report him, point at him and laugh.

Attached: 1514790446999.png (285x405, 452K)

You got me, I know it’s an edited GS panel but I felt like being silly

I'd just like it if they had more dark fantasy than shitty overused D&D/harem shit

The simplest explanation is that Goblin Slayer is a game of D&D from the perspective of the characters rather than the players. Basically the GM is trying to run a by-the-book fantasy adventure and Goblin Slayer's the guy who decided to play a regular human fighter, but make him super gritty.

nice blog onii-chan, upvoted and retweeted
take this (You)
checked

That's no better, though. It also misses the point of ESL's actual question.

The only issue with goblin slayer is that it's not getting a second season anytime soon, I caught up with the manga and considering how they shuffled around all those chapters, the TV version feels like an ad more than anything, even though I didn't dislike it and the quality wasn't that bad either. I used to play D&D too and it's really not that bad of a parody compared to the game, as you say you can just make shit up for no reason and call it an adventure, that's the kind of game D&D is, especially if you can't afford the official maps and figures and just draw squares with names on paper like I used to do. I'm actually learning a lot of the D&D world from this series and I believe anyone who used to play D&D and liked it will probably like this series as well.

Talking about the goblins, as I see it, being the goblin the stereotypical weak monster of fantasy worlds, I assume the story writer wanted to make a parody of this assumption and throw it in the faces of the people living in this fantasy world.

Catch up with the manga, the new TV season will probably take a couple years to get animated, there is now only 1 and half seasons worth of story or so in the manga and the TV series was proceeding at the same pace, pretty much, except a few things happening at different times.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Goblin Slayer - 08 [720p].mkv_snapshot_14.44_[2019.05.13_20.46.58].png (1280x720, 864K)

You can always read the novels. Volume 7 came out in English recenty.

I should've read the LN before watching the anime in facts, but since I watched the anime first and also just read the manga few days ago, it's still too fresh in my memory so it feels really boring to get into the LN now.

I'll take the bait;

Sadly you are wrong, the setting is the problem from two aspects:

1) The reason goblins are considered weak monsters suitable for beginning characters is because in Dungeons & Dragons they were sub 1 Hit Die and not particularly smart. Even the champion tier goblins were only the equivalent of 2nd level characters, So. they got the reputations not because someone said "Oh, they're called goblins they must be weak.", but rather because they actually were pretty weak and thus appropriate for 1st-2nd level characters to fight.

In the Goblin Slayer campaign world while the regular goblins are physically weak, they are also fairly cunning, using traps, poisons, etc. and they have champions who are probably the equivalent of ogres, which in Dungeons and Dragons were more like level 4-5 monsters.

Also while the rape scenes are pretty much the only time Goblin Slayer is interesting, if you actually lived in the Goblin Slayer campaign world you would never send girls/ women to fight goblins since the presence of nubile woman seems to increase the goblins dangerous-ness exponentially.

2) The world also fails in the inconsistency between between how characters are armored vs. the reality of the campaign world. Either the world runs on "realism" laws or rule-of-cool laws.

In a "realism" world, which would be typical for Dungeons and Dragons almost everyone always wore the best fucking armor they could get their hands on at all times, which of course included helmets. Depending on prices a beginning fighter would at a minimum have chain mail if not plate mail, even thieves would be wearing leather armor. You'd never have a situation like the newbie party that gets raped and wrecked at the beginning of the Goblin Slayer series where the fighter is wearing no armor other than the fucking bandage across his nose.

Goblin Slayer acts like it's a "realism" world while having the character act like they are in a rule-of-cool world, which is fail.

Considering the vanguard novice adventurer didn't even know what kind of weapons needed to be used in tight closed spaces and forgot about the shaman's totem at the entrance in less than 2 minutes, isn't the author just making a parody of the careless adventurer character type? this kind of adventurer wouldn't even think about protecting their heads, he was also full of himself for having killed a stray goblin in the past, probably just a baby goblin I bet, plus the caster adventurer academy graduate was also overly confident and failed to realize priestess was casting holy light, before the goblins ambushed them from behind. The pugilist was probably also too confident in her skills and defense, since they're supposed to have good physical resistance.

It's just the autistic ESL pedant trying to do reverse psychology shenanigans, and failing.

Adding to this, I don't remember ever starting any D&D adventures with an helmet though, maybe my GM was just too carefree?