Should I watch the 2000 series before this year's reboot? What can I expect other than BOOGIEPOPPU

Should I watch the 2000 series before this year's reboot? What can I expect other than BOOGIEPOPPU.

Attached: Boogie2.jpg (628x473, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3nhcTllJgIY
sakugabooru.com/post/show/73195
sakugabooru.com/post/show/71559
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also very interested in this. On the one hand, the 2019 version is a modern remake and thus probably sucks. On the other hand, Aoi Yuuki is a goddess.

Attached: 1557157136164.jpg (650x754, 95K)

Nah, watch Boogiepop first. Phantom is a pretty bad entry into the story.

Yes, the 2000 series is excellent. Amazing OST and direction.

The first will make more sense after you watch Madhouse Boogie. Also it has a better atmosphere, art direction and soundtrack. Save the best for last.

Both series are relatively self-contained, but I felt the 2000 one was better since it had a more mysterious/grim atmosphere. But the new one isn't bad at all, pic related. Smug boogie is something we didn't deserve.

Attached: 1548639645510.png (1200x675, 1.1M)

Rate smug boogie on a scale of 1 to SPOOKIE BOOGIE

>On the other hand, Aoi Yuuki is a goddess.
Aoi Yuuki's performance alone makes the 2019 adaptation worth watching. Not that it's horrible aside from her, but she really is the best part.

So knowing that I am a total slut for Aoi Yuuki's voice acting, should i watch 2019 then 2000, or 2000 then 2019?

Attached: 1548481668461.jpg (1280x800, 100K)

They are both independent of from one another and each have have their pros and cons. But if you are a sucker for Aoi Yuuki, you might as well start there, so you can at least keep yourself entertained while you determine if you like the franchise or not.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) - 18 [1080p][Multiple Subtitle].mkv_snapshot_21.45_[2019.0 (1616x909, 417K)

Fuck. English is hard.

I watched 2000 after 2019 and I think that was the correct choice. Phantom references several events from Others and At Dawn.

IN that case, I'm going to get drunk off my ass this weekend and watch 2019. Thanks user.

Good horror

>Watching first arc while drunk
Best of luck to you user.

Attached: boogie smug.jpg (1920x1080, 79K)

I miss Boogiepop and chuuni urban fantasy Yea Forums.

Attached: 1553874852399.jpg (1280x720, 138K)

>tfw watching 2019ep1 sober and having to take notes in fucking Notepad to keep up

I miss chuuni urban fantasy in general, it feels like a dead genre these days and what does exist never gets translated.

>Having to take notes for an anime episode
Come on, it wasn't that bad. If you just pay attention through the first arc, the pieces fall into place on their own. Although I am a sucker for broken up chronologies and narratives, like the KnK movies.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) - 01 [1080p][Multiple Subtitle].mkv_snapshot_03.21_[2019.0 (1920x1080, 714K)

>chuuni urban fantasy
the best

Attached: drrrrr01.jpg (1280x720, 196K)

What is it about the suzu jingles, which always accompany Boogiepop, that gives me goosebumps?

Attached: toukapoppu.jpg (1920x1080, 714K)

>season 2 never
>no embryo arc
I am so mad, yet repetitive isekai shit gets popular

Attached: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg (368x368, 32K)

Its not a remake. You watch both.

Watch Boogiepop Phantom afterwards though, because it was really intended to be watched by people who had read the parts of the novels that the new series adapts.

source, my friend?

Soul
Soulless

Seriously though, why do iconic characters always get watered down and moefied in reboots/remakes?

Watch the first episode of Phantom, it should give you a good idea of whether you want to watch it or not
Don't bother with the new one, its shit

inb4 someone dodges the issue saying its a different character

Both are great in their own ways. Although watching 2019 first will make a kino moment from Phantom even more fucking kino.

It *is* a different character
Also the new version is more accurate
Where did the yin-yang scarf come from anyway?

>they don't believe in season 2
How dare you underestimate sensei's power
He made it snow in april for real in Japan

Attached: 1557039598315.jpg (1920x1080, 141K)

It is but it still illustrates an issue with the aesthetic
also even if the sash is just "fanfiction" or whatever then those fucks shouldn't have used it in the promo art

Nu-Madhouse QUALITY

I'm only vaguely familiar with the material, but I see the symbol and sash on the covers of the source novels so what's going on?

Attached: 51x4P8nwp6L.jpg (349x500, 55K)

Fanfiction from the novel illustrator

>no embryo arc
Why

Attached: 45151551_p0 (1).jpg (800x1100, 572K)

it's just a bad kara no kyoukai clone, go watch that instead

It's aoty

Remember to ignore seething opmfags

New One, it's a good adaptation aside from the the first arc. Old one isn't an adaptation at all.

Attached: D3c27bhUwAAdVDm.jpg (1447x2047, 378K)

What was this face trying to convey

Attached: 1552667035915.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

cuz boogiepop does almost nothing there.

Was king of distortion the only novel where boogie actually had screentime?

Attached: tenor (1).gif (498x274, 1.41M)

still mad that barely anyone was interested in S2

the original was a spin off. the reboot stays true to the plot.

Touka a cute

Attached: 1550950785324.jpg (1280x720, 251K)

Difficult to answer, but it's probably right that KoD has the most boogie's parts. Heard it was originally supposed to be the final book.

Current one is a bit of a slow burn in the beginning but really pick up. Scarecrow arc is probably my favourite so far.

I've seen both and have no idea what happens in either.

The OST was really good in the new one.

youtube.com/watch?v=3nhcTllJgIY

Who /Imagine/ here?

Attached: 2.jpg (800x558, 94K)

Attached: IMAGINE.gif (500x224, 1.02M)

Snow melts dummy

Attached: 1553262064608.jpg (1280x720, 340K)

R-rude

Attached: 1553278382659.jpg (1613x1000, 276K)

bubble > imaginator > witch > pigeon > president-chan

Attached: 1550948881742.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

You take that back, president-chan is a miracle of cuteness and bulliability!

>miracle of cuteness and bulliability!
t. saotome

You can watch the new one first

I would imagine the cheeky loli version

Attached: c22 (1).png (1380x1230, 589K)

Damn that's ugly.

I like the latest adaptation, but Boogiepop Phantom is an extremely good watch and is better despite being fanfiction and a bad adaptation.

>The first will make more sense after you watch Madhouse Boogie
>Madhouse Boogie
user...
They were both by Madhouse

KnK is fucking garbage you troglodyte

Read the novels then watch Phantom. The new anime is alright but they did a really bad job adapting the Manticore arc and thus making the last arc (Overdrive) less impactful than the novels.

>kara no kyoukai clone
Both novels came out on the same year. Silly user with his bad bait. You have to do better than that.

This was my problem. I watched the reboot first because I heard it technically comes first in the continuity. And besides some janky shit in the first few episodes I thought it looked fine.

But MY GOD Aoi Yuuki's voice paired with Kensuke Ushio's OST is so good. Boogiepop is up at the top of my list for the year simply for that.

Then I tried to watch the old series and even though it though the music, sound design and aesthetic was great, not having Aoi Yuuki there was just not as enjoyable. I'll get back to it at some point but damn, her voice.

Correct

Attached: 59735887_p0 (1).png (500x900, 744K)

Old series felt like it was trying to imitate David Lynch's brand of surrealism a little which I loved.

I dropped the 2019 show after they butchered the first book, does it get better later or do they keep rushing the shit out of everything?

The 2019 one is poorly directed and not as visually interesting as the old one. I suggets you watch the original one first.

>Le smug face XD :3
Pretty much.

yes, but both versions are cool

Boogie was like 8 months earlier iirc

The so called original is just a bad fanfic and give incorrect ideas about series

Don't watch it

Attached: 74010371_p0.jpg (2046x1446, 703K)

The direction was great, even if the animation budget was abysmally low.

Falling scene was kino

Attached: D203pF1UYAA6IkI.jpg (1534x2048, 136K)

What's the best episode? And why is it episode 10?

Attached: Boogiepop-wa-Warawanai-10-11-10.jpg (853x480, 34K)

>But MY GOD Aoi Yuuki's voice paired with Kensuke Ushio's OST is so good.
This.

I liked the animation
sakugabooru.com/post/show/73195
sakugabooru.com/post/show/71559

The intended order according to the people that made the anime is the live action movie first and then Boogiepop Phantom. The Aoi Yuki anime is fucking terrible and it butchered the part that the live action movie adapt

Attached: boogiepoandothers.jpg (328x465, 58K)

>smug anime voice made my peepee hard and that mean AOTY
The OST is completely forgetable so I pic related is the only explanation

Attached: uguu.jpg (936x936, 545K)

This is what Boogiepop is supposed to be?

Attached: 3913ad04d5191d64d0468263e06600ac45737be8_hq.gif (400x300, 710K)

I disagree, you could take any other generic current year high school anime plot put it over it and there would not be any diference. Its really bland and compared to the original the diference ist indeed abysmal.
>even if the animation budget was abysmally low
I dont think thats an excuse, you dont need huge bugets to make an anime visually interesting, trigger fo examlpe makes the best of shitty animation in alot of ways.

So? Is she an MPLS or it's not confirmed yet?

Attached: 1557081958784.jpg (1000x1500, 168K)

>Is she an MPLS
Most likely.

>it's not confirmed yet?
No. That woulnd't be fun.

man i really don't get the love for the OST
it has a couple top tier tracks but mostly it's unforgettable and doesn't hold a candle to phantom's

>original
Literally just a fanfic that's not really like actual boogiepop

The 2019 anime took so many deviation from the original material that could be considered a fanfic, starting with making Boogiepop to smile

It's the same guy that was having a stroke from that thread

Attached: Moon Temple.jpg (1152x2048, 266K)

>Literally just a fanfic
No one is talking about the LN, and i was clearly refering to the Animation thats why i said "the original" since it IS Literally the original adaptation. Stop using words you dont understand the meaning of, retard.

Wow this is one serious retard

Reading that from some one that thinks that oficial anime its "Literally a fanfic" is just as funny as it is ironic. But hey by all means keep being retarded its quite funny. Moron.

Damn, user got BTFO

Based

Attached: teratsuki.jpg (768x768, 118K)

Hot damn

Attached: mistakes.png (1600x900, 1.41M)

So what got adapted in your so called original adaptation retarded user?

Huh, there are people that doesn't really know why the earlier series got called fanfiction occasionally?
Or is this another type of pretending?

BASED BOOGIE GETS

Attached: 1552079094433.jpg (1729x1000, 341K)

So this is the power of boogie's threads, naruhodo

Attached: boogie.png (544x561, 110K)

The old series was not adapting anything last I checked

Truly, snow in April.

>2000
Ignore that one. Just read the translation and watch the new one. Use your imagination for parts that are lacking in anime

Also translation of later volumes never

Attached: 72481994_p11.png (700x700, 291K)

what's the matter, don't wanna eat bugs?

I don't think that one adds anything to the series, does it even get referenced? A minor returning characters or some side effects?

>muh fanfiction
>the best arc in the entire franchise is anime original
What did they mean by this?

Attached: hqdefault (4).jpg (480x360, 16K)

Loli Touka/Boogie needed more scenes

Attached: D7GgZkiWsAAi-17.jpg (1920x1080, 95K)

Is the live action movie worth watching?

honestly? not unless you're super into it. but it's also, like, maybe as much as two hours so if you're curious just go for it. i dunno if you can find a copy with not-shit quality though

>Also translation of later volumes never
s-stop

Face the music user, it's time to learn moon.

Attached: unpleasant truth.jpg (1920x1080, 769K)

Attached: saotomekun.jpg (1351x1000, 283K)

Attached: 1554320078945.jpg (1613x1000, 410K)

There's a copy on nyaa, but nobody is seeding ;_;

VS Imaginator is the weakest story (of the six translated volumes)
Spooky E was well integrated into the narrative and the impact of his ability in terms of the theme, "influencing others," is clearly established, but Jin was not handled as well. The biggest problem is that the flaw in his ability wasn't telegraphed which contributes to the anti-climactic finale. Another factor in that anti-climax is Masaki showing up just to get dropped and spend the final confrontation incapacitated. The differences between Jin's influence and Spooky E were shown fairly well through some scenes such as his interaction with the one waitress that had been a terminal, but there was also some bullshit that muddies the water. For instance, given that his ability can either remove flower parts or graft between people, it doesn't make any sense that he got the bullies to fight each other. Masaki's influence on Orihata was also not made clear enough. While we get the great scene where she's trying to stifle her feelings for him, we don't see other signs of influences such as changes in her behavior. In fact, Suema ends up providing her with resolve out of the blue. The setup should have been such that the reader would know that Masaki is influencing Orihata and that such an influence can override Jin's ability, thus creating the tension of "is their relationship stronger than Jin's shears?" when the finale occurs. This way, Jin's failure wouldn't be coming out of the blue. Masaki's development arc was also sort of blunted because he never got a true grasp on the situation and didn't get to confront either of the characters who were set up as juxtaposition to his influence.
These issues are despite the story being developed over two volumes.

I guess the problem is that Kadono can't write romance, and that arc needed some good romance development between Masaki and Orihata to make the ending work.

I think the romantic element was about as well done as can be considering Orihata starts off as a brick with no personality and Masaki is the purest, most awkward boy in the series. One of my favorite moments is when she reflects on finding the sky beautiful because of how many times Masaki mentioned the sky while fumbling through conversations. That's probably the best indication of his influence, but it would have been nice to see some changes in her personality along the way. Later, she's radically changed when she shows up in the "present" segment of At Dawn.

The scene where Masaki finally sees her apartment is great, but it might have been better if it happened earlier in the narrative so that he could then directly try to change how she lives. Maybe even run away with her instead of running off to do the Boogiepop thing alone.

I AM VENGEANCE
I AM THE NIGHT
I AM kind of cute in a poofy ridiculous way

Attached: boogiepop-and-others-anime-episode-10-image-0060-482x300.jpg (482x300, 12K)

Yes. Way better than the 2019 anime

>it gives incorrect ideas about the series
>Kadono was directly involved in the production of the show, he even drafted and edited the plot of the show.

So the author of the original series wrote a fanfic about his own story, right? You fucking retard.

>Repent Walpurgis
Really really boring Nagi's spin-off. The story was totally fucked up and full of unattractive characters, "deus ex machina" moments and terrible illustrations.

Attached: 718VRX4LZQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (904x1258, 148K)