You cant use magic because its forbidden for reasons ????

>You cant use magic because its forbidden for reasons ????
Analogue for marijuana? I see no reason why wizards or witches couldnt use "forbidden" magic, there are literally zero drawbacks shown.

Attached: x7.png (1114x1600, 893K)

>Analogue for marijuana?
I think it's analogue to how the real world treated magic, except magic is real.

Magic would be a science like everything else, not some special thing

If it were real, yes. But that's not the point of the discussion, is it?

Europe had strict bans on magic. That is what OP is talking about.

Europe had strict bans on magic yes but only because it didn't exist. If it had it would be used akin to gun powder

>but only because it didn't exist.
But they did not know that.
They had curses and counter curses and all sorts of crazy stuff, and if you were caught doing any of it you were in a lot of trouble.

Of course they knew. Just like some didnt believe in god most people probably wouldnt buy into magic. If they did then it would have had been way more widespread.

I mean eqyptians promised eternal death and suffering through spells for those who robbed tombs but people did it anyways

>If they did then it would have had been way more widespread.
Science was fucking invented as a way to use magic.
The popularity of math was 10% the necessity of figuring out when to celebrate Easter, and 90% astrology. There were popes who relied on the stuff. Magic was believed in by just about everybody.

Unfortunately at some point (way past the middle ages) they had to accept that there was no statistical evidence for the existence of magic. But since they had developed science already, they just moved on and became scientists instead of wizards.

>Just like some didnt believe in god most people probably wouldnt buy into magic.

Attached: 1550663349629.png (461x601, 446K)

If people believe in god then why do they sin?

Attached: 1553432460976.gif (500x348, 74K)

>I mean eqyptians promised eternal death and suffering through spells for those who robbed tombs but people did it anyways

Yeah and? They're just curses. Any sufficiently advanced magic can neutralise them. Get the proper talismans and potions, maybe even hire a magician or two as bodyguards, and you're safe.

failure to reason

Grave robbing in ancient egypt is actually somewhat documented, they just had pick axes, shovels and bribes sempai

See Amherst Papyri, magical things not included

I think that grave robbers likely did not believe in the curses, but you must not forget that it only takes a small minority of non-believers to actually rob the graves.

Because forbidden magic could easily end up being magic mini-nuke when someone makes a little mistake in the glyph.

Forbidden magic isnt an addiction that ruins lives though

Blood mage detected.

>Forbidden magic isnt an addiction

Attached: 1556455174110.png (1249x706, 1020K)

I agree.

Attached: 5.png (1050x1003, 628K)

> but you must not forget that it only takes a small minority of non-believers to actually rob the graves.
user, everyone robbed graves in Eqypt, it was widespread as hell especially when economy was doing poorly

>she uses it
>it leads to nothing good
Really makes you think, hmm

pffft
real forbidden magic has never been tried
she was just a noob

Attached: 1557417203329.jpg (617x692, 416K)

>literally the first chapter and the most recent ones shows why forbidden magic can be dangerous
>hurr for reasons you can't, I read all in two days durr

How is that any different from someone immolating themselves while doing "correct" and "safe" magic? Its not

>chapter mentions that magic on skin is also forbidden
>but how is forbidden magic different from forbidden magic

Just because you dont pour oil on yourself doesnt mean you wont get burned if you throw it into a fire

>there are literally zero drawbacks shown.
Did you miss the chapter where a kingdom started turning it's citizens to sentient golden statues if they weren't to the pedigree? The reason certain magics are forbidden is because they are abused and misused on a level that was devastating and plunged the world into chaos and disorder.

Keeping it away from the masses is a necessary evil to keep another magical war to start. Especially given how easy it seems to be able to fuck with people provided you have a brush and the right ink.

>Did you miss the chapter where a kingdom started turning it's citizens to sentient golden statues if they weren't to the pedigree? The reason certain magics are forbidden is because they are abused and misused on a level that was devastating and plunged the world into chaos and disorder.
Thats an user error and not the magics fault. You could apply same logic or principles to "allowed" magics as well since they too posses immense destructive capability

Allowed magic is practised by a very small circle of authorised people. And they have a whole magic inquisition dedicated to preventing people from doing bad things with magic. Current magic society takes rules very seriously.

>You could apply same logic or principles to "allowed" magics as well since they too posses immense destructive capability
If it became prone to abuse despite the proportion benefits absolutely you could consider banning them. But so far outside of a couple medical glyphs like the container linking spell, most forbidden spells are rightfully kept out of circulation. Magic ultimately needs an artist to be used so the bans are always made with the user in mind because people are the ones making the rules.

I hope the series properly develops the whole
>medical magic is forbidden
Because it's the part most normal people won't agree with.

I believe the story mentions that the healing witches were collateral in this whole thing. And I suspect they were the ones who started the schism that resulted in the masked witches. Things like using glyphs on the body definitely seem like a facet of medical magic and the hospital chapters show that people also desire for an easy solution to healing.

>Magic was believed in by just about everybody.
Actually Math IS Magic. (Going to a Mathematician to solve a problem so he looks it up in his Math book and calculates what you needed in a jiffy.)

>Math is magic
Stop

Attached: 1527253083524.png (400x399, 67K)

>it leads to nothing good
???

>advanced technology is magic
>technology is physics plus programming
>they are math
>math is magic

cause people conveniently created a god that allows them to sin as long as they beg for forgiveness afterwards.

Fucking potheads. KYS you degenerates

technology isnt math though

as long as technology applies reproducible and verifiable phenomena, it falls within the field of math

What about this then?

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_kevinknudson_files_2017_04_zeta1.jpg (960x449, 25K)

What he's trying to say that when technology is sufficiently advanced, it is indistinguishable from magic. The difference is that with technology we understand the principles behind it.

what point are you trying to make?

He means physics.(?)

>Witch hat thread
Huh, that's rare.
Anyway, forbidden magic seems to encompass techniques where the potential for abuse is much greater, if we also put in the super powerful magic ink as likely being forbidden. This is pretty much an tacit admission that even the few that are allowed to know magic can't really be trusted with the most dangerous kinds of magic. This viewpoint hasn't really been proven wrong so far with all the brimhats being huge assholes, a lot of the pointed hats being assholes, and a novice like Coco being able to completely change the landscape with a simple spell.

Quite forward thinking from those who originally came up with the conspiracy of silence to not only limit magic but also expressly forbid the most dangerous kinds, they knew that their descendents couldn't necessarily be trusted to not misuse it.

Attached: 1552976307180.png (1114x1600, 868K)

They're just covering up how the conquered the world and turned an entire race of people (the real magicians) into trees so they can use their magic blood to cast spells.
It's also 100% certain that the upper echelons of the Coneheads still use forbidden magic, since it would have been impossible for them to win the war in the first place without it, and afterwards would have to keep the ability around in case they ever needed to fight the Brimhats again.

I think the main conflict is that both sides are absolute turbo assholes. Choosing between I AM THE LAW and FUCK YOU I DO WHAT I WANT is a false dichotomy. The problem was never forbidden magic, it was wizards being fucking assholes.

>turned an entire race of people (the real magicians) into trees
So, the story will have an ironic twist in that Coco will be somewhat related to the original magicians and the ink that brimhat gave her was partially made from her own blood?

>trick her into turning her mother to stone
>turn one of her friends into a wolf
>keep trying to teach her blood magic
I think they want her to, accidentally or deliberately, turn the trees back into people. Why her of all people I don't know, but it seems like there must be some special quality she possesses for that first brimhat to notice her.

Maybe they want her to do something relating to forbidden magic that expressly has extremely bad consequences if it goes wrong, but isn't told to apprentices until they get further in their training, or something similar. Something like time travel, seeing that it doesn't look like it's possible to just reverse the effects of forbidden magic on the body.

Then again, should probably not throw time travel into the mix as well when there's already somewhat ubiquitous memory wiping magic, which is an extremely dangerous thing to have in a story if an author doesn't have a lot of restraint and care

I actually have a theory that Coco herself isn't as special as she's being led to believe, she's just one of many "seeds" that managed to actually survive the spellbook they were probably handing out. Although there's no evidence to support that more than one was distributed.

analog for shit like chemical weapons irl. people will look down on it and people try to contain it but people will still use them anyways.

That's probably closer to the truth, but Coco only got out with her memory because Qifrey is also looking for information related to the brimhats and Coco's the only lead he has. Unless there's something in the picture book that they want drawn that will help them somehow, that plan seems very unlikely to work normally and would be found out pretty quickly. There's more than one picture book, at least.

Yeah, I can imagine if Qifrey gets more info he'll find that there have been a number of incidents of sudden usages of forbidden magic in other areas and the magic police have managed to erase all the relevant person's memories of whoever survived such an event. Ironically Qifrey may have been the one to put Coco on the map of the brimhats because he stopped her from being petrified and subsequently given the MIB treatment.

>the most basic shit
>ever
put some shit akin to NP=P and we're talking

>zero drawbacks shown
>marijuana