What's the most obscure anime you've ever watched?

What's the most obscure anime you've ever watched?

Attached: some anime.png (1280x720, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XlLBX4EIlJY
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGfI1qlaFU
youtu.be/m37QmbcBB64
youtube.com/watch?v=OWQpOCBWcsM
youtube.com/watch?v=SbyIKWrZa-4
youtu.be/d7I-4qqHFrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UF2Y8OJfplY
youtube.com/watch?v=aXVQXIEsxBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uDDeRt_gRaE
youtu.be/hN-OMVGpTbs
youtube.com/watch?v=Sv7RCNEhyhM
youtube.com/watch?v=3wOqciTZRik
youtube.com/watch?v=vcpdpBGrLtc
youtube.com/watch?v=3WSBmd2uV-w
youtube.com/watch?v=TUlKIgwBVoA
youtube.com/watch?v=jTI9EZglHX4
youtu.be/f7ue5TVg9iQ.
youtu.be/z5ehvr9YwFI
youtube.com/watch?v=Zzc2NJ7F6gw
youtube.com/watch?v=1WKYwkTjbkQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Zetman and it was nice.

Go to bed Kenny

Suzakinishi

Attached: Ayappe cares not for the privacy of others.png (683x385, 386K)

Fuck off Kenny

Can't tell you, 2deep4u

Akikan.
An anime about tincans who transform into girls for battle.
And it's not even among the worst I've seen.

Attached: Akikan.png (1280x720, 1.14M)

Emblem Take 2. It's about a failure of a yakuza who dies and gets sent back 10 years. He decides to use this chance to make a better life for himself with the knowledge he has of the future.

It was really entertaining.

Attached: 27231l.jpg (353x500, 49K)

that...actually sounds pretty good. Are there subs?

Yep, just go to nyaa

I would say Hime-sama Goyojin, mainly because of the fact that raws for it hard to find, both when it was new and more so more than 14 years after it aired. I watched it on Animax SEA though so YMMV in this case.

This one was just comfy incarnate.

I still have the wmv of Ultimate Teacher. Some man/cockriach hybrid wants to rule a school as principal and tries to turn entire student body against the local female delinquent who has some crippling fear of bloomers.
Silly stuff happens then about halfway through black Afro spiderman joins in

>that...actually sounds pretty good

I know right. I mean I'd expect that if something like this was good than I'd have heard of it way more often given the premise.

Anyway, pic is also way too obscure in the west.

Attached: 4th_grade_mama.jpg (361x450, 76K)

This garbage.

Attached: 2.jpg (640x480, 39K)

I geniunely believe no one watched this when it aired.
Genius negotiator that never loses goes to Pakistan to save the father of a girl and then to Russia to find the key for a fortune.

Attached: Yuugo.jpg (315x445, 46K)

the Gunbuster OVA

DNA²

The plot is basically that discount Yugi is a beta and throws up when he sees any woman skin. He gets shot by a girl from the future to prevent him from impregnating 100 women, whos children also impregnate 100 women and so on and so forth. Turns out the bullet that was supposed to chemically castrate him turns him into the guy and his personality changes into an alpha chad when a woman is around. Then the rest of the story is him chading around and trying to hook up with future girl while future girl tries to hook him up with childhood friend, while other girls vy for his dick. Also there is another chad who trys to stop him but he isn't chad enough for the job, so the future people come and try to kill everyone because they want him to become the Impregnation Chad because the bullet would cause a mind control ability for him and his descendants so they could have total power. But they can't beat the Chad and end up getting btfo by the power of friendship or something.

Attached: 875707017091_anime-DNA-Squared-DVD-Complete-Collection-Hyb-TV--OVA.jpg (419x600, 115K)

And that's really the most obsure thing you've ever seen? DNA² is a classic. Everyone who was alive (and old enough) in the 90s has seen it.

That synopsis

Attached: 1557713236543.jpg (690x720, 77K)

>Also there is another chad who trys to stop him but he isn't chad enough for the job

Attached: 1547993684999.jpg (552x504, 35K)

He's too new to know all the waifu threads, flash games, VNs, figurines based on this super successful show

Attached: 1556332369610.png (481x481, 184K)

>figurines
From DNA²? Never seen any. But I'd love to have one of Karin-chan, if there is one. Can you point me to it?

Just finished watching this, very lighthearted too. Dispite not having many subscribers. Kenny does it again.

Well I've seen stuff like
Dears, love hina, girls bravo, eiken, nanas treasure, ghost girl. Take your pick and Ill give a summary.

I fucking loved it.

Attached: SFCV.mkv_snapshot_24.28_[2019.05.22_14.25.05].jpg (640x480, 28K)

This one
youtu.be/XlLBX4EIlJY

Blade runner

Attached: MV5BYTdiYjljNDktYmI4Ni00OTQxLWE0ZTYtZWQ1NmMyNWI4ZTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR4,0,182 (182x268, 17K)

DT Eightron
the robot was annoying

And you think any of those are particularly obscure? Love Hina in particular is another classic. You really have no idea what "obscure" means.
Unless you use the "confusing/incomprehensible" definition. Like you'd call a surreal film obscure. In which case neither of the things you've named are a good example either.

My worldview has been turned on its side. Teach me user.

>Teach me user.
Teach you what? Where you find obscure anime? Well, you could look for those cheap hentai OVA no one cares about. Often adaptations of visual novels.
Or just look through lists of anime per year and select those that no one watched. But, generally speaking, when it aired on TV, chances are that many people have seen it.
Also, anime from before 1970 are generally considered somewhat obscure, but of course, even back then there were some popular things, like Astro Boy or Kimba.

It seemed so promising but I was very disappointed. I love cyberpunk cop anime so it seemed like I would love it. Somewhere along the line it just fizzled out.

At least I got this webm from it, I fucking laughed my ass off when this happened.

Attached: Armitage_III_OAV_Ep02.webm (640x480, 2.95M)

>this has become obscure
I’M FUCKING OLD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

no user he's just retarded

I’ve watched all of Buttobi CPU!!
Not the most obscure but there you go.

That reminds me of a h-doujinshi I read where a guy saves up to buy a sexrobot and they're all out. Something happens that I don't remember but eventually he ends up with a robot and as he's trying to program her settings something goes wrong and she ends up having a more real personality than other normal bots, but he didn't get to fix the settings the way he wanted (meaning she isn't completely submissive to him).

There's one part where she discovers he used an onahole and becomes jealous, so then she acts like an onahole (remains completely still instead of actively pleasuring him) and the guy, annoyed at how she was upset in such an immature way decides to fuck her anyway. She enjoys it and realizes that onaholes aren't so bad after all and she gains newfound respect for her sextoy ancestor, even going so far as to make a shrine for it.

I wonder if this anime/manga somehow inspired it.

Sounds cute. Buttobi was cute enough nothing amazing but I liked it.

Probably black Rock shooter, not sure how I even came across it

I love OVAs that everyone who worked on them call "works of love". You can see the effort for world building. It's just never long enough to see everything.
Fucking reminds me of Gundam:G no Reconquista. Awesome world, not enough time.

Attached: blue-submarine-no-6-anime-ova-screenshot-1.jpg (512x384, 32K)

Ozanari Dungeon

youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGfI1qlaFU

Attached: 9327A4F6-619F-4FD2-B749-E7D0BDC03F84.jpg (640x482, 51K)

Yeah, I also wonder how you could have possibly come across the series Miku Hatsune is in.

>Miku Hatsune
What are you taking about, none of the characters look like her

Cyber City Oedo 808

YKK, but soon after I watched it suddenly everyone knew about it so if that doesn't count then probably the one with Hiro's waifu in it. Can't remember the name. It was fine

Odin: photon space sailer starlight

Attached: OSSS.gif (258x475, 136K)

All-purpose cultural cat girl nuku-nuku.

Wasn't great, wasn't awful. Had some funny moments.

Attached: 220px-NukuNuku.jpg (220x313, 36K)

This and Project A-ko were pretty entertaining.

this, probably. i think legend of black heaven is more known

YKK is super well known, at least with people who care about iyashikei

Attached: figure17.png (798x449, 678K)

Agent Aika

Attached: Aika.png (267x373, 181K)

Lensman

Attached: Lensman.jpg (421x750, 88K)

Dragon Half

Attached: dragon half.jpg (640x960, 240K)

>Agent Aika
And what exactly is supposed to be obscure about that one?

I'm just picking old things the kids don't watch at this point we might as well call record of lodoss war obscure.

Attached: record of lodoss war.jpg (1000x1426, 1.05M)

>we might as well call record of lodoss war obscure.
No, we might not.

Giant Gorg

with things like Armitage II and Blue Submarine No 6 already posted, it looks like it's already happening.

Attached: ICE.png (768x576, 437K)

I watched this and I wasn't even that into anime during the 90's

Jibaku-kun! And Papuwa. Maybe Croket! as well.

Attached: P1740938.jpg (550x365, 233K)

I love the manga for this series.

I was sad they only had three OVA episodes. The manga has like 17 volumes plus expanded stories.

Probably Koharu Biyori. It is a painfully mediocre OVA rightfully lost to time. I don't even remember what happened in it, just some lucky bastard getting a robot maid that likes to dress up.

The only reason I ever heard of it was because the main girl briefly wears a diaper in it and I really wanted to see that

Attached: 1446119854122.gif (500x180, 8K)

>because the main girl briefly wears a diaper in it and I really wanted to see that

Attached: 1CCB8C2A-DCDE-40A5-BE58-86F54F3DA30A.png (589x600, 18K)

How good was the scene?

I posted BS6 and Armitage, but Record of lodoss war is a certified classic. There's no comparison. That's like saying Shirow is obscure.

Attached: 18558.jpg (600x610, 71K)

A classic becomes obscure when people forget about it. There was a time when anime itself was obscure.

Attached: I watch anime, but my shows are pretty obscure you've probibly never herd of them.png (475x480, 304K)

Dai Guard or Heat Guy J maybe. Though Heat Guy J aired on American TV but I doubt too many people remember it.

Attached: HGJFight.webm (576x320, 2.95M)

1/10, it lasted 5 seconds, there was no focus on it. the diaper was paper thin, and the quality of the files was so poor it was somewhat hard to see. Unfappable.

That was relatively popular in Spicland

Better animation than OPM Season 2

Does Jing, King of Bandits count? A friend showed it to me years ago and he's the only person I know who knows about it. Never heard anything about it anywhere else ever.
I remember it being pretty basic shonen adventure so it wouldn't be surprising if it was easily forgotten.

Attached: Jing King of Bandits.jpg (480x360, 43K)

K I R R O Y A L

Yeah, the bird fusing to his arm to shoot a laser beam named after an alcoholic beverage is probably the only memorable thing about it. But I guess it isn't that obscure given that response time.

Obscure huh, i wonder if someone will be able to tell the name of the series where this character appears.

Attached: 1557713236545.png (960x640, 846K)

Risky Safety and Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette for me as obscure.

Soul Eater should have been more like King of Bandits Jing.

Obviously that's the guy from DC comics

Attached: Totallythesame.jpg (1438x538, 118K)

lick and molty

pokemon joto reague

That guy is not a superhero but a regular human, google search surprises as always.

BRS was a literal Pixiv OC by Huke (who went to design characters for S;G (the VN) and Altera, among other things) who got a song by Miku and became a huge meme, so she got an OVA, TV show and videogame (I think there was also a manga)
The OP for the TV anime has Miku singing, so saying Miku is in it isn't wrong

Probably? I'll have to watch both again. I remember Jing having some cool villians compared to soul eater, like some demon made of coins. However, I remember the first "big threat", that time obsessed dictator guy with the fox equivalent to Jing's crow. I remember thinking his design was fucking retarded.

youtu.be/m37QmbcBB64

>Soul Hunter
>Blue Seed
>Crisis in Akihabara or something like that
>Gasaraki

>Locomotion viewer

>implying that locomotion wasn't the best thing after school

youtube.com/watch?v=OWQpOCBWcsM

youtube.com/watch?v=SbyIKWrZa-4

90's and 80's anime > moe caca

Attached: MV5BZTdhMmM1YjItMjAzYS00ZWZjLTgyZmEtNWI4ZWFjOGQ2ZTMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMxMDM2NjY@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182 (182x268, 18K)

Naruto

definitely this.
it wasnt a bad premise either, 2 inner earth factions give humans advanced tech to fight a proxy war or something

Attached: max1352947250-frontback-cover.jpg (3187x2148, 1.87M)

>Blockbuster Anime aisle tier

>Japan's greatest science fiction novel and the most incredible military adventure ever filmed!
Literally who

Attached: 94282l.jpg (350x525, 58K)

I'm not from spicland nor do I really know many people from there. It has no english subs that I can find, other then episode 1.

Copihan.

Are you referring to Houshin Engi? I loved that series.

Igano Kabamaru.
All I can say is.. yakisoba.

>Are you referring to Houshin Engi? I loved that series.
I don't know whether he's talknig about Houshin Engi. I do know that it's one of my favourite manga. But I don't like either of its two anime adaptations much. The first only covered less than half of the manga (simply was made too early) and had a pretty unimaginative ending.
The latter tried too much for how little episodes it had and rushed the story (from what I've bothered to watch of it).

This aired in SA and even had a dub. I doubt many people watched it, however.

Probably this

Attached: Photon.jpg (850x850, 202K)

I wish more people would have seen this. It's not amazing but it's pretty fun.

Attached: 207359.jpg (371x500, 99K)

who hasn't heard of Love Hina and Girls Bravo?

alright this is short i might watch it

It was a mildly entertaining comedy, if you could look past all the loli fanservice and the fact it was only 4 episodes.

Attached: [Underwater]_Ryofuko-chan_03_[1482AC08].mkv_snapshot_07.22_[2014.02.02_20.41.06].jpg (880x496, 44K)

I figure most of Yea Forums wasn't born when it aired.
youtu.be/d7I-4qqHFrQ

Attached: City Hunter.png (499x375, 239K)

Cat's Eye is more obscure with Yea Forums.

Maybe not exactly obscure, but I've rarely seen people talking about it. I wasn't planning to watch all of it, but the pacing of the episodes was relaxing and the historical period is fascinating so I ended up watching everything. (Also the manga is by the same mangaka of Otoyome gatari).

Attached: 791e078dfc20f570d46808ca9819b6dc1536107211_full.jpg (640x960, 174K)

Probably not really "obscure" so to speak, but I bet most of you haven't watched the Dragon Quest anime; especially since it was never subbed or localized (mostly due to Toriyama's copyright BULLSHIT). I grabbed the whole thing and watched the raws. Aside from trying to puzzle out the Japanese spell names, it was a fun ride.

The link (and show I actually meant) is Dragon (Quest) Warrior.

Fly had a good Spanish dub.

this one

Attached: 1531194930435.jpg (1920x1080, 284K)

mugen shinshi

I remember this having some insanely well animated scenes.

Code Geass Season 7 Lelouch of the Re:peat. From what I hear it basically repeated the events of Season 4 and 5 except this time Lelouch had a rocket launcher.

youtube.com/watch?v=UF2Y8OJfplY

comfy anime is comfy

Only fellow Nips would know this

Attached: [hsa] Himitsu no Akko-chan (1969) [ひみつのアッコちゃん] TV Episode 23-28 (DVDRip).mp4_sna (640x480, 54K)

Cat Eye is not obscure in italy, same for Tiger Man.

I don't think the manga is obscure

Midori Days: a whole new meaning to “my hand is my girlfriend”

Attached: 012646DB-C6FB-4921-85DC-BB3DB5A42638.jpg (300x296, 23K)

I watched this and really enjoyed it.

I was going to say Robot Carnival but there's a lot of big names that work on it. Then I remember that I saw this crap which I don't have much recollection of.

youtube.com/watch?v=aXVQXIEsxBQ

Attached: shitty picture cause i didnt ahve on prepared.jpg (1280x725, 176K)

For me it might possibly be Seraphim Call. Basically it's 12 episodes each focusing on a different female character. They're all in the same general narrative universe, but each story is totally self-contained. Pretty experimental in terms of content, but fun. The way it develops its themes is quite mature and interesting.

Dolores,i I guess
I only saw it mentioned on /m/ like 3 times because people wanted to fuck the main robot girl

I was actually about to post it myself. I loved some episodes and hated others, but it was pretty enjoyable overall.

Attached: 642384.jpg (400x300, 140K)

Serial Experiments Lain and it was really shitty and boring.

I was blown away by how adventurous it was in terms of exploring totally different themes each episode. I thought it was a really good experimental work.

Anyway, since someone's said they've watched what I posted, I'll say another one: Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi Zero. A really elegant three-episode OVA, brilliantly written and directed, and set up like a stage play in terms of the way it maintains unity of time and place.

Attached: 13729l.jpg (275x400, 35K)

how the fuck is that obscure? I must be getting old.

Not him but the thread title says "most obscure". That's just the least popular one he's seen

I don't know how I found this or why I wanted to watch it, but it was worth watching

Shame the movie is impossible to find though

Attached: Maze the Megaburst Space.jpg (319x450, 42K)

>how the fuck is that obscure?
Well, there are different definitions of "obscure". The literal meaning could be "hard to understand". If, however, he found Lain hard to grasp ... well, that says a lor about him.

Hibari-kun counts?

Otherwise I recommend Ginga no Uo URSA minor BLUE. It's a short film.

Attached: hibari-kun 0144.jpg (720x540, 97K)

>look past all the loli fanservice
Why would you do that?

Doesn't it have that sims flash game

There's one anime that I've watched two years ago. It was High School! Kimengumi. It was popular in Japan at its time and was also released in France and Hong Kong.

Attached: Kimen-gumi1.jpg (316x316, 30K)

I can't tell if this is a worst anime ever made thread or obscure anime thread because they seem to fall into the same category.

Steel Angel Kurumi, there's actually a lot of it, two TV seasons and another 4 ep OVA.

Zero is weird as shit compared to the others, which were more typical action comedy fluff, so it's experimental nature stands way out.

locomotiontv.com/envivo

is A Wind Named Amnesia obscure?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 39K)

all I remember from that series was youtube.com/watch?v=uDDeRt_gRaE

What the fuck this actually good

no, that's essential boomer weeb core

>What the fuck this actually good
Of course it is. And it's not obscure either.

what's it called?

t-there was a flash date sim made of this game wasn't there? probably a lot

but I recognize this synopsis from when I first started fapping on newgrounds

In user's defense the thread is for the "most obscure you've actually watched" in which case I'm sure it probably is

>3 different Mochizuki recommendations in the last few days
alright Yea Forums, I'll go put these on my backlog

HGJ aired on MTV2 I think.

T-thanks for coming to my defense bro

Anyone else remember Oban?

Attached: obancover.jpg (435x618, 143K)

n-no problem bro just stop you're making me blush alright

Mahou no Yousei Persia. It got a few laughs out of me. Would watch more but it's never going to be translated.
kofukusub was the closest to finishing a rough translation of the entire show but fucked off for 2 years.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 21K)

youtu.be/hN-OMVGpTbs

Attached: 244387072f34973bf95ec5e96c0d3a83.png (1280x720, 944K)

Is NieA under 7 obscure yet?
I actually thought it was surprisingly good overall, but I'm a fucking pleb. Although maybe not as much of a pled as I thought since I've seen about 3/4 of the anime in this thread.

Majuu senshi Luna Varga

It has 4 episodes (you can find a them uploaded on YouTube)

Attached: 9B9D6C7C-D3D4-4DBC-9A4E-2006519F603A.jpg (254x410, 41K)

>that scene in the 2nd episode where he goes super saiyan but it's just giga chad mode

I'm so glad I started watching this. Thank you

Attached: 1463752907772.png (500x586, 133K)

Didn't you say Yea Forums was dead? Why are you still here, Kenny?

This shit right here
Inspired the fuck out of me via art for a good 2 years in highschool

Attached: 220px-Green_Legend_Ran_DVD_Cover.jpeg.jpg (220x295, 23K)

>ctrl+f
>boku no pico
>0 results
Yea Forums is dead

thanks senpai

When a child, I recall Blue Gender giving me the chills.

probably GDGD fairies

I watched this shit when I rented it from blockbuster on VHS when I was like 12 - 13.

Yamazaki King of classroom, dragon league and lets dance with papa. Watch them long time ago. In recent years, Id add 5 star monogatari and prefecture earth defense force, wich was so bad I had to drop it despite being a 50 minute ova. Sometimes obscure stuff deserves to stay that way.

Dead Leaves, but there's guaranteed to be someone on Yea Forums who will say it isn't obscure.

milk chan

Dead Leaves

Attached: dead_leaves.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

Anyone that is above the age of 28 - 30 has probably seen everything posted here, user.

What if someone fits into that age group, but watches animally casually and for fun?

Straight Title Robot Anime
That, or Apocalyse Zero

Some weird ass loli hentai called O-Parts Man or something like that. Or this here Mario thing.

Attached: Super_Mario_Anime_Pack 02 no audio.webm (512x384, 1.92M)

Mama is a 4th grader.
Excuse me what?

Girls bravo is what drove me away from harem anime, too unrealistic and I had to shatter that dream like a little boy putting down his faithful dog

I couldn't watch Blue Sub because of that awful CG, as enticing as freaky sharkman rape sounded.

Ah yes, the series with some potential but got canceled because the creators got busted for drugs or something

I've been sitting on this but it looks scary and seems like it will have a sad ending.

I went on a trip to Panama City, Panama and that's all they showed in terms of cartoons.
Got the Spanish theme singed into my brain

Tenchifags will know about this because apparently it's part of that universe.

Haven't really dug that deep. If I had to say, it was probably Noein

Attached: 4405AB3C-91B7-4091-B9A1-8416FCA33F37.gif (400x149, 1005K)

Cat's Eye has a lot going for it but somehow manages to be boring as fuck beyond the ED.

>Chad this chad that, buzzword bingo extravaganza
You type like a literal fucking faggot. Never review anything ever again, comprende?

Only because Area(artist) did a cutesy comic

There are 4 categories of animation quality in anime, from worst to best.
>t.v. anime
>OVA
>movie
>experimental short
Robot Carnival is very much the latter. I still don't really get the meaning behind that particular one, I liked Starlight Angel the best.

If you've seen Redline you might have checked this out too. Probably not terribly obscure but it's kinda fun. I can't describe it but there's something realistic about the way characters interact in this and Redline. They talk like real people not anime characters.

Attached: [TODO]_Trava_[480p_10bit_h264][6ch_ac3][C789A1BA].mkv_snapshot_14.08_[2019.04.09_00.07.44].jpg (640x480, 172K)

Naruto

They fucked up her tail in the ova. She's still hot but her tail looks like it's poking out of her buttcrack whereas in the manga you can see where it's her spine.

Mardoc Scramble OVA trilogy. I believe it was animated by the same Studio that produced 'K'.

Muka Muka Paradise.

Attached: Muka+Muka+13+-_001_29244.png (832x624, 586K)

Yep. GoHands.

Hen Semi probably. It's about a college seminar where the students are given credit for doing reports on obscure, deviant behavior by this weird gremlin of a professor. It's like one step removed from straight up hentai.

Attached: perverts.jpg (350x500, 37K)

I sometimes feel like the only person who watched natsu no sora.

Legit definition of underrated masterpiece 2deep4MAL.

Attached: summer12048.jpg (1280x720, 157K)

I remember getting a promo dvd for one episode with a magazine but I don't think I ever actually watched it

Infinite Ryvius - Basically Lord of the Flies in space with a QT mahou shoujo manifested AI who floats around.
Astro Fighter Sunred - Really, REALLY good. Basically the red super sentai ranger turned into a total NEET who bums money off his regular girlfriend all day long to go and blow playing pachinko, and an evil monster organization that's, well...watch it. Sunred literally never, ever takes his helmet off, but is always in shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. And chain smokes like ultra Japanese hard mode. The final episode (it's two seasons) was a total feels trip.
Fang of the Sun Dougram (or just Dougram) - The other other mech anime from Sunrise. I don't like Gundam at all but actually like Dougram. The animation quality was shit, though.

Attached: B6RO0JmCQAA01mg.jpg (480x650, 33K)

Kenny do Space Cobra already

>Inversion of the hopeless NEET gets with a youthful, vibrant dark-skinned girl
PICKED THE FUCK UP

There is also web/dvd short

Anything unsubbed. I've never understood why that's a dealbreaker for people.

Attached: Ochamegami Monogatari Korokoro Pollon 05 (DVD 640x480 x264 Hi10p Vorbis).mkv_snapshot_07.54_[2015.07 (640x480, 30K)

You know Discotek got the rights for it and is doing a remastered release, right?
Alsom the Jackie Chan live action was great.

Also, am I the only fucking one who remembers watching "The Lost City of El Dorado" on Nickelodeon back in the 80s? It was a Japanese anime but THE MOST BORING SHIT imaginable, during the time of the conquistadors and the MC is some kid trying to find his mother.

His summary was pretty fucking on point though.

>2deep4MAL
To be fair, an average puddle on the road is too deep for MAL.

I've learned to ignore overall ratings and instead actually read some of the reviews. The first few people who manage to write like certified non-faggots generally give a much better clue as to whether a show is shit or not.

All you youngster. Half of the shit in here is 'obscure' to you only due to age. I watched half of this thread when it came out. On VHS bootlegs, distributed by post.

Yes, I am too fucking old for this.

Ah My Goddess is obscure to the average anime fan now. But they can rattle off tons of 80s anime even though they've never watched any of them outside of AMVs.

Oh My Goddess is obscure since when?
Well, actually you're kinda right for 2019.
>mfw the very first fan circle adult doujinshi I imported from Japan was of Belldandy
I like You're Under Arrest! more, though. A favorite.

Attached: __kobayakawa_miyuki_and_tsujimoto_natsumi_you_re_under_arrest__ff17ae3d8b16f845c82d7b44d3bdfbda.jpg (1104x808, 174K)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mentioned Goude

Attached: Goude no Monsho OVA (DivX 640x480).avi_snapshot_05.12_[2019.05.23_06.46.08].jpg (640x480, 45K)

Ah My Goddess and Video Girl Ai were my introduction

>never watched any of them outside of AMVs.
People still make those?

I like amg a little more. yua is aimed at little kids but it's still great.

In what circles did people find more adult shows and content like this back then? All I had access to was whatever was on t.v. which was Speed Racer and Transformers.

>In what circles did people find more adult shows and content like this back then?
Comic shops, local tape swaps, magazine adds.

Attached: Animerica_bastard-anime-Feb-19991.jpg (900x1159, 134K)

>The first few people who manage to write like certified non-faggots generally give a much better clue as to whether a show is shit or not.
Not really. They'll just tell you whether they liked something or whether it met their expectations. They have no idea about writing, direction, cinematography, editing, animation and so on. And it shows. They are fan reviwers, and they rate and review according to individal taste, not objective standards.

Yep, they just fool themselves into thinking they're not AMVs because it's 80s synth stuff. The Youtube 80s faggottry is the most cancerous aspect of anime fandom right now. I want to fucking strangle someone anytime I hear the word aesthetic.

I was probably too young for that. The most I did was pick up an anime magazine at the grocery store from time to time.

Buddy you ain't whistling dixie. I got one fat sow of a coworker who shaved her head and died her hair purple because it's "TOTALLY CYBER PUNK." And I TRY to be civil, maybe strike up a convo but wouldn't know what a blade runner is if Harrison Ford drunkenly bashed threw origami at her.

UK here. The one or two anime / manga related magazines small ads for 'penpals', which were really a gateway into the surprisingly vast network of people with two VHS decks who would duplicate shit. Padded envelopes of 4-6 VHS tapes coming in every week. The depressing knowledge that a series you've enjoyed a couple of eps of is so lengthy that you will never see them all (Fuck you YU). Paying through the nose to importers. Going to cons and networking.

Pic related, scan of the covernote one of my contacts used to include with his tapes. Wonder what happened to that guy. If you're here, Hi Gav.

Attached: SCANresized.jpg (1276x1752, 2.59M)

Sooo you pretty much admit that A E S T H E T I C is your trigger word and Yea Forums is your safe space?

I'd tell you, but then more than one person would have heard of it.
Isn't that Uchuu Kazoku Carlvinson or whatever?
>simulcast
Yeah no
No
no
This I haven't heard of
>there are subs
lmao no

No I can't even hide here because the oldschool threads went to shit after the youtube kiddies invaded. It's everywhere, they're the "kawaii/kowai" Inuyasha/Naruto kiddies of the current era except they say sempai and aesthetic.

YU was meant to be UY. Beautiful Dreamer is still my favourite to this day.

Attached: SCAN2resized.jpg (638x876, 612K)

NGL, I actually agree with you in that regard.

Perfect example. Rampant pop culture dick sucking because it's what everyone else is doing but possesses zero knowledge of it and would shoot you down if you tried to actually talk about it.

Sci-fi, back when it was Sci-fi. Mid 90s

Uhh...Stars Edge?

How do you get it into your head that Himitsu no Akko-chan, a popular and influential mahou shoujo that was also THE first mahou shoujo anime is obscure?

Macademi Wasshoi
Don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here at least.

Damn that sounds painful. I very much enjoy living in the age where I have pretty much any anime I want at the press of a button.

Sorry OP, anons have took everything I could think of. Odin: Space Sailor Starlight (had this on LD and was the most boring anime ever), Black Magic M-66, Photon, even fucking Maze?!

God damn, this thread is heartless. The only thing I got left is this. But with a thread that even has "Green Legend Ran" (still got my T-shirt that came with laserdisk box set), I'm guessing everyone has seen this, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sv7RCNEhyhM

Happened to me at a party a few years ago. Some bitch with thick frame glasses had a Star Trek II shirt on and I just happened to have watched it recently despite not giving a fuck about Star Trek. Struck up a conversation about it and she said she had never watched Star Trek. Then I talked to some hambeast about FMA for an hour.

>yua is aimed at little kids
Hehe, not with those spreads of Natsumi it wasn't!

Attached: __kobayakawa_miyuki_and_tsujimoto_natsumi_you_re_under_arrest__04aa92bcadbd1cc33502736767b35569.jpg (792x537, 76K)

It just seems like so many are more interested in saying their nerds or otaku or however you want to call it rather than putting in the actual effort to watch the shows. I mean I GET that not everyone will know ever show, especially since they're only getting older, but it's hardly daunting.

I can't even count how many times I've seen people asking for watching order lists, or to know which episodes they can skip. Everyone is just to eager to pad out their MAL score but not actually develop a fondness or sense of taste.

Attached: 1476783381150.png (720x528, 528K)

Guys who watched the shit, who had friends stationed in japan. Sometimes a comic book store had an in, sometimes you were the in for them.

I remember getting a hold of a fucked up VCR for free, and fixing it with help from a Radio shack dude who got me parts and tapes for copies of a fansub group who were either stationed in japan.

I'm currently working on one.

>there are subs
Sack up fucker. Become the raws master race.

Consumerism itself has become a sport in this day and age.

Yeah man, progress. Back then you had to pick shit by word of mouth, and the chances of finding someone with a complete 6 ep series (or enough people with all 6 between them) were pretty fucking slim. Factor in postage costs every damn time, and shit wasn't easy.

Now as soon as I read about something I even MIGHT like, I can DL all of it before I've finished reading the synopsis, and then drop it without a care if I change my mind.

Times done changed...

>Some bitch with thick frame glasses
>some hambeast
Why would you even talk to them?

Because not everyone knows nip
Just checked Nyaa. Emblem Take 2 has subs

The worst part is that everyone is so desperate to jump onto "NERD CULTURE" that they don't realize that the culture just played right into the publishers hands. So now we can't even shit talk obvious crap because it's "hating." Fans used to be controlled by the fandoms and if something was shit it would get blasted out of the water. Now casuals and wannabes dance to whatever tune is sung and I get dirty looks from my "nerd" coworkers because I thought Endgame was kind of shit.

I've seen it. The girl who played Stocking voice that cute little brown redhead. Blade did the character design I believe. I like the style because it's kinda cute and kinda sexy.

Attached: tanarot__c2354e2a10a8d3ba423cd5021c64793c.jpg (703x933, 621K)

That got a new fansub recently, which is when I watched it.

Well you're looking at it by our standards. How about that movie that normally would have been an action shoot em up but in the world of yua they did it with paintball guns. Also the fucking car porn man. What's his face is obviously a carfag because there's some of it in AMG too.

Attached: You're_Under_Arrest_Movie_(1999)_[1080p,BluRay,x264]_-_THORA.mkv_snapshot_01.28.13_[2019.03.17_ (1920x1080, 1.03M)

YUA actually borrowed a lot of plots from dirty harry movies.

I think he's saying that because there are subs he's not interested, and it's laughable that my most obscure anime had subs. I guess because it's not obscure enough? He has never heard of it but it's not obscure enough because someone bothered to translate it.

>watching order lists, or to know which episodes they can skip
Yeah that's pretty bad. Watch it in order and don't skip. But you have to remember, when we watch anime we probably set aside a specific time to sit down and watch on the t.v. or at least the laptop, they're interspersing sporadic watching throughout the day on their phones. Even if they did have a t.v. in front of them they'd have their phone stuck in their face the whole time.

>then about halfway through black Afro spiderman joins in

Attached: Do black people living in Japan buy up ex-police Toyota Crowns and put 20 inch chrome wheels on them (1600x752, 111K)

>because there are subs he's not interested
No?
>it's laughable that my most obscure anime had subs
Yes. I mean it's possible that the most obscure anime ever was watched by one guy who made subs and one other guy who watched them, but realistically that's not going to be the case.
Actually I may have been retarded and thought the thread was about who had seen the most obscure anime.

Attached: 71h2VU61E9L._RI_.jpg (1600x1200, 189K)

Nerd culture plays into general consumerism now. Which is why you get shit like fast food social media accounts knowing they can get fat basement dwellers to buy their garbage food if they make video games and anime references.

It's on amazon

>Actually I may have been retarded and thought the thread was about who had seen the most obscure anime.
Yeah people are just naming their least popular watched anime, so you replying "no" to them is somewhat perplexing. That explains it.

It really seems like they really should be rethinking their choice in hobbies. I ain't gonna deny some shows episode length is daunting, but what they, even a lot of more hardcore fans these days don't realize is that you're really not supposed to binge watch. I'm only about a third of the way through LoGH right now and halfway through City Hunter but that's only because Im not trying to rush them. Im taking time to really enjoy and let things settle. Even if there's a shitty episode I just shrug and wait till the next one to be better.

The whole Netflix method is really killing shit. People binge a show or season but then you go to do a discussion and the only thing mentioned is the broader big moments and each episode's moment to moment parts are lost. They rush to the next EPIC or HYPE but don't have the build up.

It's not about "most obscure anime ever". More about "most obscure anime you watched". So, the kind of obscure anime you want aren't gonna be in this thread because this thread is about stuff people watched to begin with

Sci Fi channel used to air it and the movies often too. Good times.

Attached: zeiram1-48sauz2wm.jpg (640x352, 9K)

Amazing, I've only seen the first Dirty Harry. On the flip side, if I had a dollar for every time I see something in an old anime that looks suspiciously like something that turned up in a Hollywood movie years later with no credit.
pic very related

Attached: Dangaioh OVA 03 - Gil's Revenge.mkv_snapshot_11.43_[2012.09.14_02.32.15].jpg (720x480, 43K)

I wouldn't mind so much if the references were at least clever but it's almost always some flavor of LOL THE POPULAR AIRING SHOW EXISTS! COME TO ARBY'S FELLOW NERDS AND YOUNG PEOPLE!

I know, brother. I was there.
Project A-ko 1 and 6
Tank police
Akira
Beautiful dreamer
That alien virus one that gave Ume-sensei nightmares
Cyborg 009
8-man
Robot Carnival

I assume everyone already knows this secondhand from Simgirls

Yeah, that part in YUA where they had the rogue cops trying to ruin the reputation of the police? That's straight up Magnum Force. You're right though. I can't even count how many times I think I've seen the terminator.

Attached: dirty_harry_magnum_force_01.jpg (852x358, 59K)

>ITT: those of us who voted for Bernie poopoo on Arby's for doing ads aimed at anime fans

Wicked City
youtube.com/watch?v=3wOqciTZRik

Agreed but I don't even give Marvel the time of day just on principle.

Those people don't really have hobbies, they jsut go from trend to trend and everything is disposable. People try to rush through something just so they can say they watched it never truly absorbing or enjoying anything.
If you asked them what their favorite genre is they'd probably draw a blank.
I do binge watch occasionally but my method is to set up a playlist of different shows and keep track of where I am with screenshots. And I also have a mate who I have anime night with once a week. We get sodas and popcorn and knock out an episode of each of the six show we're watching.

>Wicked City
You mean obscure in the "weird surreal" sense, right? Not the "no one knows it" sense?

Oh dude, I've seen this. I can't even remember how I found out about it.

Not obscure but good. God tier OP.

Attached: Iria Zeiram the Animation - Episode 3 [OnDeed] [116F26E9] (V2).mkv_snapshot_00.15_[2017.12.13_00.56. (714x480, 26K)

My buddy really wanted to go and he went and saw Alita because I wanted too so really fair is fair. Also free tickets. But really you'd think I'd say a word starting with N and rhyming with Tigger the way people looked at me when I said it wasn't the second coming.

I binge too on occasion. Especially if a show got me hooked. So Im guilty too. Especially with shorter shows it's easy to not notice you watched a whole cour's worth of anime in a short time. So I don't mean to say you should never ever do it. But I think they key difference is that, like I said, I was actually hooked and not watching while on my phone just to say I did.

Terminator references in anime usually aren't so subtle. Shit man now I wanna watch Dirty Harry.

Attached: vlcsnap-2012-11-14-00h06m39s53.png (640x480, 315K)

California Crisis, I suppose
It has kinda distinctive art choice that's basically the opposite of current ultra-thin outlines and soft gradients to a point of parody, but I really like it
Everything about it has that 80's vibe everyone on internet seems to copy right now

Attached: A3306-2633891637.1407280785.jpg (640x480, 129K)

Everybody knows the tooth vagina scene though.

I should watch it just for shits but I don't care for the outlines on the shadows.

It's exactly as the title says. She's in the 4th grade, and she's a mother. Pretty self explanatory.

To each his own and I wasn't judging you for being a Marvel fan as I understand its decades of cultural relevance but I just can't stand how cheesy and cartoonish the villains are even if their hero counterparts are iconic.

You know bringing Iria up, it sort makes me think of a point I make a lot to people when we talk. I feel like a lot of the time in the 80s/90s anime fans weren't so much anime fans specifically, and rather various genre fans looking to get a fix of sci fi, fantasy, action whatever. I mean in fairness that's pretty much the bulk of what was brought over so it's not like we had the options to watch every CGDCT show that airs every year and we where just as lousy with weebs too but at least in my case I discovered anime kind of accidentally and just sort of eased into it.

Attached: Crusher joe 1.jpg (1104x1110, 220K)

Yeah that was a great series. I watched it religiously.

You know you're getting into obscure territory when the only version is a vhs/beta rip.

Attached: [BOX] Cosmos Pink Shock [01EEF67A].avi_snapshot_05.50_[2017.05.23_21.01.57].jpg (640x480, 26K)

Man I wonder how long till they think to remake Dirty Harry but PG-13

This ? My neighbours watched this religiously on videotapes, I hated that show

Attached: 1411367771.jpg (664x510, 56K)

Daisy is literally my waifu bro.

Attached: 0001405021.octet-stream.jpg (708x504, 252K)

I can understand being a deprived sci-fi fan because modern science fiction fucking sucks, even in anime. I'm surprised that with all the 80s dick sucking people haven't figured out that that squeaky clean apple product white future is boring as fuck compared to the dark steamy run down sci-fi of old.

It’s actually kind of shocking to see people post stuff from the 90’s as obscure. Not going to shit on newer gen fans for that. Hey kids give older stuff a chance to if for nothing else then to see where a lot of stuff originated from.

starring a poc

I know some people on Yea Forums watched this cause there was threads when it aired
I still can't remember why I watched this though

Attached: 1.jpg (640x360, 69K)

Never see anyone talk about this but I liked it.
Cherry was my waifu back in the day.

Attached: marionette.jpg (189x267, 18K)

>kids give older stuff a chance
Unless it's in black and white. Even 30 year old boomers are guilty of that.

I discovered Mr Stain on Junk Alley during some channel I can't recall at 4 am. It was pretty good.

Attached: 1144951879.jpg (400x230, 16K)

I watched it because I knew that artists and had been beating my dick to her a lot. I don't remember it being horrendous but it wasn't great and I didn't make it past 3 episodes.

>because modern science fiction fucking sucks
It really does. Even Star Trek and Star Wars are pale imitations of their former selves. I can't even think of the last time we got a sincere, proper sci fi show and not some insane action explosion fest that's constantly rolling it's eyes at itself because FUCK TAKING YOURSELF SERIOUSLY WE NEED CONSTANT MARVEL ESQUE QUIPS!

Oh Star Lord. You deserved so much better than Andy Dywer.

Attached: 4bbfa861aeca6.jpg (1280x960, 210K)

One of if not the most 90s looking anime in existence.

Holy fuck Crusher Joe has one of the most beautiful BDs I've ever seen.

The OP was the only good thing about it desu

This would air right before Kino's Journey on the anime channel I had as a kid and it always made me think what great traveling buddies they'd make.

Is this just a pod racing anime?

I'm not sure if you could call anything that got a western release truly obscure, but I've never once seen anybody mention Crystal Triangle.

It's awful, yet glorious. Japanese Indiana Jones finds evidence of a lost ancient civilization that might lead him to "The message of God". When he gets back to Japan he gets attacked by a sect of warrior monks who are all secretly demons. The message of God is the only thing that can stop them from reclaiming the earth and ruling over it like they did in ancient times. Then the CIA and KGB get involved because a "message from God" will probably help them win the cold war. The CIA, KGB, demon monks, and archeologists end up in a 4-way race to find the message before the others do. Then they find God's spaceship because of course there are aliens involved too..

Attached: crystal-triangle-813.jpg (300x410, 28K)

I remember both being aroused and grossed out by this show.

>Saber Marionette J
Sorry, but that's not obscure at all. If you want a somewhat obscure Saber Marionette, there's the OVA: Saber Marionette R.
Also had way hotter girls. Especially the villainesses. Pic related.

Attached: DB5.jpg (669x900, 196K)

Yes I'm being a hipster cunt because this pushes the boundary of even being considered anime.
youtube.com/watch?v=vcpdpBGrLtc

Seriously, I was a little blown away. I'd buy them if they got a western release in a heartbeat.

But seriously whose dick do I have to suck to get a Dirty Pair BD, Japan?

Attached: Crusher Joe [BD-rip 960x720 x264 FLAC] .mkv_snapshot_00.55.36_[2019.05.17_02.27.34].jpg (960x720, 116K)

Three times he appeared in that movie and three times they took a huge shit on him. I suspected it's because everyone hated him for pistol-whipping Thanos awake.

I like the novelty of showing the girls how they appeared in the novels but I'm glad they redesigned them for their own show.

Even before that though I was still pretty bummed by how the GoTG movies where done. The cosmic marvel universe is actually a really amazing place with so much potential for wonder and awe. Instead we got LOL CASSETTE TAPES and a douche. And they where still some of the better marvel movies.

Guardians just had so much potential for an amazing space opera and it depresses me we didn't get it.

youtube.com/watch?v=3WSBmd2uV-w

Attached: 1336537704748.jpg (584x850, 197K)

I wouldn't mind seeing them try to be more novel friendly if they made a new series. On that, this turned up in an /m/ thread somewhat recently.

youtube.com/watch?v=TUlKIgwBVoA

I guess some college guys made it for a convention.

Attached: 1558145410626.jpg (845x1200, 138K)

Wow, what a find that is. And the quality is even worse than Daicon.

Not everybody can be Gainax. It's still pretty impressive for college students probably working with hand-me-down equipment.

That's more than impressive, if we had it on a better format that's an actual show. How did Japan have so much talent for animation back then?

>I watched it religiously.
You must have been his neighbor.

For me the CG gives it its charm. It's also somehow better to look at than CG nowadays. Don't know why though. Then again it's Murata and I love Murata either way.

Attached: Mutio2.webm (960x720, 2.57M)

Is Gatsupi really Fuyutsuki from Evangelion in his younger days?

Attached: Gatsupi.jpg (225x350, 16K)

Would Violence Jack be considered obscure?

No.

Renji's girls are something else.

The industry wasn't the sweatshop it is now.

Hey, high fives for the two other Strange Dawnfags, and the five guys who watched Majin Bone on /m/ when it aired. I'm sure the most obscure thing I've watched I've actually forgotten because it lost all relevance in my life since then. I can remember stuff like Dibetagurashi and Happi Kappi because they happened in an era of grabbing screencaps for reaction images, but real obscure left no impact and never gave any reason to recall it. These four series are things I've repeated so it's hard to shake them. Going by this thread the kind of obscure people want to see is more Kyuukyoku Choujin R, because they have been seen and can be discussed. Frankly makes for a better thread that way.

With manga it's far too easy to know and like obscure series, there's raws for JP pirates of practically everything with a digital release these days, and so many series get part translations before falling to the back of aggregate catalogues. Even when something doesn't get translated it's cheap and simple to buy volumes for the art and have a permanent physical reminder it exists.

I watched it after ep 82 of LOGH, I guess I was desperate. Don't remember too much so guess it's time for a rewatch.

Umi Monogatari, it was shit.

Hibari-kun was obscure until the last year or two now that it's got proper subs, now it's become kind of a cult classic just because of the novelty of it being a romcom about a trap from the 80s.

Is it considered obscure if it was extremely popular and borderline iconic in Japan but was never subbed or dubbed?

Do you have an example?

Tobor the 8th Man and Dragon's Heaven.

I remember hearing that was one of the most popular anime of all time among girls during the 80s and still sometimes gets voted into top 100 anime lists

But it's never been subbed or dubbed.

Mirai keisatsu urashiman. I've never seen people talking about it at all
My chinese friend told me about this show 3 years ago too

Fuck, I can't remember the name, but it was definitely Korean, because the animation kept going from 90s crappy action cartoon to decent anime quality. I couldn't tell you about the story because that shit would change with every other scene.

Also Happy Science.

Wingman. Great OP too
youtube.com/watch?v=jTI9EZglHX4

Attached: FACE.jpg (800x799, 168K)

DREAM CITY NEO TOKYOOOOOOOOOOOO!~

It had a nice ending too youtu.be/f7ue5TVg9iQ. Can't remember how I found this show but I was sad it wasn't fully subbed yet since it's basically animated Kamen rider

>Fighting evil by moonlight
>Being a chair by daylight
>

Jushin Liger (I don't consider Anime Shinigami's disaster as subbing, and even that took a long while)
Knights of Lamune & 40 (I legit have to watch it dubbed in fucking spanish)

As someone who knows dick all about Marvel in general, and for whom Guardians was "literally who" before the movies, the two films are by far, head and shoulders above all the other Marvel flicks I saw.

ドラゴンボール (1986)

Subs are being released but at a snail's pace because the subber is retarded. The subber only subs one episode of anime every month, and he's subbing like 4-5 shows at a time and not in any particular order so you could wait an upwards of half a year just to get another episode.

This is obscure on Yea Forums now but was fairly popular while it aired.

Spiderman into the Spider-verse is one of the best animated movies ever made and even Miyazaki made very few movies that were on its level.

It was okay. The animation and style is top notch but the story was meh plus it was miles Morales too

Attached: p247063_b_v8_aa.jpg (960x1440, 134K)

Not really obscure, used to be on Toonami all the time a few years ago.

Cyber team in Akihabara was "90's"-er

Also
>Locomotion

How about any mahou shoujo before Sailor Moon.

By being an absolute retard on purpose like half of the shit in this thread isnt obscure.

She's hot as fuck but I don't know, something about it just isn't quite hooking me.

Attached: 夢戦士ウイングマン 第01話「空からどっきりビキニの娘」.avi_snapshot_19.14_[2 (640x480, 40K)

doesn't count if it had an at least somewhat popular revival between the 80's and now, but if it didn't then its fair game

no

cape shit belongs in

persia, creamy mami, emi, yumi, sweet mint, saint tail, momo. There are tons of Mahou Shoujo that were well known in Japan but have absolutely no fanbase over here. I had to get raws for most of those.

Attached: Mahou no Yousei Persia - 01.avi_snapshot_04.48_[2015.09.08_12.05.38].jpg (640x480, 37K)

Agree with you about capeshitters needing to fuck off to their board, but why did you reply to a post explaining the sub situation of Wingman?
Wingman is an anime, and belongs here

accidente

Attached: Mahou no Yousei Persia - 02.avi_snapshot_08.11_[2015.09.19_04.49.30].jpg (640x480, 35K)

Just because your mom doesn't know about them doesnt' mean armitage and blue submarine6 are obscure, especially not on THE board of the internet dedicated to anime and manga.

Yes, but there's also Cutie Honey, which is one of the most popular things ever. So, no, not every Mahou Shoujo before Sailor Moon is obscure.

Cutie Honey has mahou shoujo elements but it's not quite a mahou shoujo.

If you think this is obscure then you weren’t around for the Newgrounds era

>Fucking LOVE HINA
>Obscure

I get older every day and it never stops, but somehow Yea Forums posters are younger all the time

i remember this, it was pretty fucking weird

I doubt many people here were.

Attached: unpossible.png (880x587, 140K)

>but it's not quite a mahou shoujo.
It's pretty much the first "Battle Mahou Shoujo" ever, and the "mother" of the genre. If you think that it only has "elements" of Mahou Shoujo, then that's also true for Sailor Moon, the very show that was most heavily inspired by it. In fact, every single thing that's Mahou Shoujo about Sailor Moon is already there in 1973's Cutie Honey.

Probably this

Makyo Gaiden La Deus

and it's shit

Attached: LaDeus.jpg (349x450, 53K)

Except she's not a magical girl, she's a super powered android.

I got it because the blue and pink haired girl look hot but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet.

>Blue Seed
>Infinite Ryuvius
These ain’t obscure. I’m not mad about it, y’all are just either young or don’t interact with other anime fans much.

And where exactly is the difference there? You can also say that Sailor Moon is not a magical girl because she's a reincarnated moon princess. The fact stands: Android or not, she is a girl, and she possesses special powers that can be described as magical (even though there's technically a scientific explanation for them). From the very beginning, people have called Cutie Honey a Mahou Shoujo.

And as I said: It has all the same elements. Down to the in-battle and out-of-battle transformations. Pretty much everyone knows that Toei copied half of Cutie Honey's formula for Sailor Moon. It's part of the reason the latter works so well; it was a proven concept. Sailor Moon (or rather Sailor V, which came first) didn't invent the genre all on its own.

you wouldn't know about it

I think 2x2 Shinobuden is the most obscure one for me. It doesn't feel very obscure, but I have never seen anyone talk about it or reference it online.

There isn't much discussion because it's a 00s show. Not recent enough for aftershocks, not old enough for nostalgia. It was definitely popular on Yea Forums when it aired though. And it spawned the men in tights edit.
I love it, the girls are hot and it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Attached: [a-s]_ninja_nonsense_-_06_-_a_typhoon_arrives__rs2_[6968BF00].mkv_snapshot_08.12_[2019.01.15_02.27.2 (640x480, 185K)

Fair enough, I wasn't here when it aired so that explains it. It's definitely one of my favourite comedy shows. I've always felt it had a kind of air about it that people here would like.

Not very obscure my man

Attached: muromi.gif (636x360, 1.51M)

It made a splash here when it aired. I still the the cicada posted from time to time.

There are a whole bunch of late 90's shows that are both great and ridiculously obscure. Master Keaton is one of them. The first episode was a bit of a bait-and-switch for the entire series though; there was a lot less treasure-hunting and action in subsequent episodes.

Attached: Master_Keaton_cover.jpg (264x377, 22K)

>zetman part 2 never

Literally no one i care about cares about this.

Attached: obscure shit.jpg (683x1024, 122K)

Not obscure at all but I have never heard anyone utter a word about it. I believe the manga or character design was from the same person who did Vampire Princess Miyu.

Attached: [jackoneill] Yakushiji Ryouko no kaiki jikenbo 01 [D78FE125].mkv_snapshot_04.01_[2016.04.13_02.32.15 (809x874, 318K)

(You)

I've seen it mentioned a few times; given its release date (2008) I'm surprised that it fell through the gaps as it did. I've got in on my backlog.

Mate it's Naoki Urasawa, one of the most renowned mangaka ever, hardly obscure even if overshadowed by his other works.

this masterpiece, can't find it anywhere

Attached: KyoroChan.jpg (200x200, 17K)

It's good, watch it. Classy as fuck with some great romance.

Attached: [jackoneill] Yakushiji Ryouko no kaiki jikenbo 01 [D78FE125].mkv_snapshot_19.13_[2016.04.13_02.35.54 (809x920, 286K)

>classy
Yeah, sure.
>great romance
No, not really.

Yes, yes really.

Attached: [jackoneill] Yakushiji Ryouko no kaiki jikenbo 03 [B96EB591].mkv_snapshot_18.44_[2016.06.01_18.06.46 (809x450, 125K)

>no fun allowed

This dated art style always reminds me of downs syndrome people.

>dated art style
?
>reminds me of downs syndrome people.
???

Are you a retard, user?

Yes. pls don't bully.

not that obscure, but i love the style. still didnt really liked redline, dont know why

Attached: travafistplanet.jpg (768x576, 92K)

Attached: Ninkuu.jpg (225x317, 16K)

The thread is about the most obscure anime they've seen dumbass. Just because you know about them does not mean they can't think something is obscure.

On Crunchy now.

Patapata Hikousen no Bouken

That makes this funky because then someone who only watched popular stuff will say something like symphogear where the west slept on it for its earlier seasons is obscure.

probably this

Attached: 2bh.jpg (720x533, 261K)

Dragon Half will forever be one of my favorites, and it helped me find other anime and manga with dragon girls, such as Capricorn. Also found Outlanders by accident long ago when looking for more.

Attached: Gor6thcS_0403182006241gpadd.jpg (1029x800, 478K)

For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called. All I can remember is that the protagonist looked like Mink from Dragon Half and had blue hair, that she was a demon, and that she lived on Earth in an apartment. It was also a hentai, but from the era when hentai had an actual story to it outside of the fucking, which is a thing we never get anymore. I remember seeing it as a kid when I was using Kazaa to find more Dragon Half, but ended up finding that (among many viruses) in both Spanish and English.

I wish I could remember its name.

After watching enough anime and readin enough manga you actually start to Wonder wich is your favorites genre if you get really broad with it. Anime is not like music

Outlanders is great. Manabe was pretty big in western otaku circles in the early 90s because Dark Horse translated quite a few of his works. Caravan Kidd, Drakkun etc. are all worth reading if you haven't already.

Attached: 1552220969755.png (693x1035, 871K)

Armitage was even shown where i live on tv, is that even obscure?

I loved Redline. Different tone from both though. Trava seems completely directionless and it kinda fell apart halfway through. I was invested in the princess and enjoyed her interaction with Dayzner and Trava but then she just poofs out of existence and is replaced with that giant and you only see her briefly at the very end.

Attached: [TODO]_Trava_[480p_10bit_h264][6ch_ac3][C789A1BA].mkv_snapshot_18.59_[2019.04.09_00.17.08].jpg (640x480, 171K)

I watched shitton of anime, but i cannot even remember actually obscure shows. I guess original Terra e since it's only has 3k completed on mal(inb4 >mal), which is extremely low for a 40 y/o movie.

cat butt

Attached: Ruin_Explorers_02[10bit-h.264-AAC-R2][SSP-Corp][D5823087].mkv_snapshot_02.25_[2019.01.14_22.53.34].j (720x480, 171K)

Since anybody was unable to tell, i'll reveal that this comes from Cream Lemon.

Reminder that Cream Lemon is overall better than Cool Devices.

either Captain Future or Uchūsen Sagittarius

Attached: cap future.jpg (502x600, 81K)

Don't remember the name but I know what you're talking about. It's the one with the Spanish dub. That and some scenes from Words Worth were the first hentai I saw on Kazaa.

Mal is shit, yes, but it does have a lot of users who autistically update their lists and post reviews, so it's still a good indicator of popularity.

I have this on my harddrive. Is it fun? I'm not necessarily looking for quality, just entertainment.

There are a handful of episodes that are great but most of Cream Lemon is boring schoolgirl shit. Rall, Pop Chaser and Star Trap are the pinnacle, especially Pop Chaser. Wakamoto plays a character under an alias and I think Anno animated some of it.

Attached: cream_lemon_-_04_-_pop_chaser_(unc)_[Lamonae]_[0BDE58A9].avi_snapshot_10.17_[2012.07.26_01.34.39].jp (640x480, 30K)

It left a little bit to be desired in terms of characterization and plot but the animation and artwork is fantastic. It resides among the ranks of great late 80s early 90s ovas.

Attached: Ruin_Explorers_01[10bit-h.264-AAC-R2][SSP-Corp][60331962].mkv_snapshot_06.58_[2018.03.03_01.03.31].j (720x480, 47K)

>a good indicator of popularity
Sure. But what use does that have? Popularity doesn't equate to quality. In MAL's case, it actually seems to imply to opposite.
It also doesn't translate into sales numbers or support for the creators or anything like that, as MAL's userbase are teenagers who just pirate (torrent or stream) their shit.
Add to that that MAL always seem to agree with the opinions of sites like ANN or anime youtubers. (Either they are extremely impressionable or those sites follow what they think the general taste of the masses is.) So you might as well just go there to gauge "popularity".

The last episode, the haunted manor one is stuck is my mind because it ended with a bad ending.

in

>But what use does that have?
It has use for this thread, no?

Would you say this is obscure? I feel like it's pretty well known here, but not anywhere else

Attached: masterofmartialhearts-blog.jpg (600x340, 60K)

How bad, death, NTR?

YO is that some motherfucking Happoubi Jin!?

It shows what the general consensus and taste of hoi polloi in the west is on what comes to anime. I don't claim that it's terribly useful to us, but it does give insight into what people seem to like, and so it can be interesting in its own right.

I actually wanted to watch it for science years ago, but i couldn't find it back then.

I remember when they aired it on TV here
You couldn't be farther from obscure

It's apparently a rare example of an anime being so bad it's good.
I have a nascent interest as well. I might try it now since this thread reminded me of its existence.

>It has use for this thread, no?
Depends. Just because people born after 2000 don't know something, that doesn't mean it's obscure. I'd say that a lot of things that are unpopular on MAL are quite well known to most people in here. And I guess some of the things already posted in this thread fall into that intersection category (DNA², Love Hina, Agent Aika, Dragon Half and so on).

>general consensus and taste of hoi polloi in the west
Far from it. Most people with respectable opinions just don't use MAL. And even if the sample on MAL was representative, it wouldn't be large enough to be of significance. The only consensus you can read from it is the consensus of MAL users themselves.

Basically the protagonist and his partner priest visits this haunted manor, here they were hosted by a blond girl and her butler. As time passes the girl reveals herself as demon and has sex with the priest ending with him being decapitated, meanwhile the protagonist finds a blue haired assistant that is treated very badly and helps her while slowly realizing that things are strange, once found out his partner fate and other clues, the demon tries to murder him and the assistant since he wanted to save her. Both are able to escape from her which ended burning alongside the manor in an attempt to kill them, here the protagonist and assistant has sex for some reason rather than running away, the demon possesses that assistant and receives his seed. The protagonist watches in horror while the butler behind him kills him with an hatchet then said demon baby is heard implying that it was all a setup from the demon just to be impregnated by him.

Yeah that sounds dumb and too edgy. The contemporary ones suck.

Either gdgd Fairies or Super Doll Licca-chan. Two very different kinds of obscure. Also Gakuen Handsome, but that was more like an animated shitpost.

Akiko-chan's smile

some shit about a golden lighter that transformed into a big robot dude

Listen in another one a male teen human merges with a female old ghost via sex resulting into a half human half ghost [between life and death] that can go tangible and intangible at will.

I was shamefully getting a boner from the blonde girl masturbating one but then she started getting freaky with a living doll so I was out. We laugh about the weird stuff in doujins now but hentai from the 80s was downright demented, and the eromanga had tons of scat. Like the Dirty Pair one I read where Yuri saves Kei by getting captured and shitting out a gun.

I would have said Moeru Oniisan, but ARR managed to post an ep of it yesterday.

Lightan

The OP was "What's the most obscure anime you've ever watched?" not "What do you think is the most obscure anime?"

yeah guess that was it. it aired on the national tv in my slav shithole over a decade ago and literally none of the weebs I know has ever heard of it, except for some chink.

There's obviously a point where you're going to get laughed at if it's notorious enough.

I recall another another one located in a fantasy world where the main antagonist is a gorgon or something like that, the male protagonist needed to have sex with the female elf he loves to power her up to save that day. There was another one mentioned by an user in a previous thread, but there was no battles and was cuter.

2/10 bait

Captain Future was huge in German.

I've seen this. Check the Wikipedia page for it (wasn't me).

This is true, but it's even more obscure if nobody has bothered to sub it in any language.

Like this:
youtu.be/z5ehvr9YwFI

Looks good, I'm going to watch it.

Probably not that obscure because it was on Fox Kids but I've never head anything about this. Kids who watched it on Fox are probably the only ones who remember it.

Attached: 53787l.jpg (305x500, 45K)

Forgot to mention the English title was Flint the Time Detective.

Good old Fox Kids. I remember the HOOM DAGGA HEEM DAGGA part so very well.

It's mostly music videos but it's nice, and related to the less obscure series of the same name. I wish I could find the soundtrack.

Futakoi Alternative - i downloaded it on a whim from... i think it was sukitorrents and got a wild ride where they took a fairly generic harem anime and just went wild with it.

Featuring giant squid men and their fight for world domination.

Attached: A5062-6.jpg (202x236, 21K)

Does Kick-Heart count?

Detonator Orgun.
>cool as fuck art
>ED sung by Susumu Hirasawa
>directed by Obari
>still somehow one of the worst anime ever made
But fuck was that ED good.
youtube.com/watch?v=Zzc2NJ7F6gw

Attached: orgunandtomoru.jpg (640x480, 45K)

I read the manga. Great stuff. Had a really hype final fight where the protag becomes a giant to fight a giant monster
Not translated yet though I believe.

Attached: ウイングマン_1_108.jpg (751x1200, 470K)

I remember Fox Kids showing Escaflowne. What the fuck were they thinking trying to market that to little kids. They had some pretty good stuff on there though. They figured out that anime sells before Cartoon Network did.

I'm getting both. Looks like this music video came out a few years before the t.v. show.

Tokyo Mew Mew
Ichigo is my childhood waifu

Samurai deeper kyo, soul taker, Maou Dante, and ghost hound

>cheingu
That's the goofiest pronunciation of change.

Attached: 夢戦士ウイングマン 第01話「空からどっきりビキニの娘」.avi_snapshot_10.15_[2 (640x480, 32K)

I'm not saying it was good or bad, but it was...something.

Attached: 994b5b042792e72b42eff946f1d4055edadbcd6c_hq.jpg (1000x708, 76K)

It threw me off the entire manga. I swore I was just reading it wrong.

Munto was actually pretty good, at least the rerelease Kyoani did. Mediocre story but really nice art direction.

This thing was super Boring and the 4kids op was massive crap

>Saban Entertainment licensed & did the English adaptation for Flint

?

>the way he wanted
>completely submissive to him

GAAAY!

So how 'bout that gratuitous sailor mouth?

Cryin' shame it was so ineptly done; they had some interesting ideas I would like to have seen developed further.

>dubs

>meganekko Rei

Attached: oh_gosh.png (740x328, 24K)

The old Yea Forums homostreams used to play some really obscure garbage. I miss it.

some months ago I went through some obscure lazerdisc and vhs only anime I found on ab and nyaa with the help of anidb

Attached: girl-from-phantasia-x264-pass2_001_5512.png (640x480, 340K)

Midori no Hibi is way better than it had any right to be

probably this one too

Attached: 335145eb0359482580e348aaa6bdb6ea.jpg (640x640, 79K)

oh I forgot to add but, the last minutes with the demon battle are really cool visually, the series had a pretty cool style to it even if generic, I also really liked the mc design, would have been cool to see this as a tv series.

Attached: Demon-Hunter-Makaryuudo0600.jpg (600x311, 43K)

>being surprised by screwgle failing

Attached: implied65.jpg (800x640, 53K)

Blows my mind that anyone would see his eyesores as worth copyrighting.

this one is sort of like SAO but in real world but not really with time travel and weird stuff, I didnt really understand the ending but it was cool to watch nonetheless.

Attached: CDSRQo0UsAA0Gb0.jpg (1200x921, 356K)

Anyone got that weg?

Mega playboy was a meme between me and my friends back in the days
youtube.com/watch?v=1WKYwkTjbkQ

Anyone remember AnimeNation? I remember back in the day their online store had a lot of titles that really belong in this thread and now I find myself sorely regretting having not written down all the titles they had back when I had the chance. FML...

Saikano

Shit was beautiful but dark as fuck.

Attached: file.png (500x750, 724K)

The last volume of the manga is just sex.

Handori > Midori

binchou-tan
i've never seen it mentioned on Yea Forums before
although i've only been here like 4 years

I've only ever seen this show mentioned twice on here before. I encourage everyone to watch it, it's the greatest love story ever told in an anime as far as I'm concerned.

Attached: Brigadoon.full.789828.jpg (1136x1000, 410K)

I loved this one even if it was extremely derivative of blade runner as you point out.

Still one of the funniest anime ever made.

Never saw the anime but I’ve loved the manga since I was like 9

>moe caca

?

Attached: bkmngtr_kek.gif (475x498, 2.06M)

Watched this on vhs with friends
>incredibly boring
>even with shower scene
>2 H O U R S L O N G
Towards the end we started giggling at the unintentional humor so it’s all good.
>combat planet zoma
>that one fucking monologue
>ooorguun
>ooooooorguuuuuuuun
>repeat 15 times
>YOU WERE THE QUEENS CHAMPION OOOOORGUUUUN

1/10 I saw some real shitty anime way back before the internet

Attached: 95FF861E-777C-4B38-A1D8-D5EF4CAA02A2.jpg (480x360, 40K)

This and I forgot what the story was even about, the source material is a VN but I never played it.

Attached: 265407.jpg (1209x1727, 514K)

>soul taker
>violinist of hameln
>gold lightan-the adventures of a small giant transforming robot that disguises himself as a gold lighter featuring a evil robot that was blatantly ripped off into general grievous 30 years later
>ai my me strawberry egg
And before you tell me all of those are well known and not obscure
>that 30sec anime about a monster family with weird japanese comedy and liquid tv aesthetics. 1m op + 30sec episode + 1m ed = ???
I’ve not been avle to find the bame of it so maybe I dreamed that one

Attached: 557BEC83-A326-4345-9388-00A105237924.jpg (480x360, 16K)

Failure on my part to clarify that the pic was unrelated. I was referring to the linked video of Blue Butterfly Fish as the obscure anime (that I've watched at least). It has been years since I've last seen them so I wouldn't quite know about their "popularity" nowadays.

>it's 80s synth stuff

It is?

>Youtube 80s faggottry

?

>Carlvinson

Wait, what?

>Sailer

FTFY

Shinigami no Ballad. I guess I wouldn't say obscure but it used to be one of those very early 2000s "popular" anime only because the main girl had a very distinctive design.
In fact, that was the main reason why I even watched it in the first place

Context check.

It was Michiko to Hatchin, but then Toonami got a hold of it and now it's another normie anime.

I remember seeing the original movie on Sci-Fi back in the '90s. I really miss Sci-Fi...

>half the shit in this thread has had fansubs or a english release for decades
Nice obscure stuff boys.

Yes
And yes that’s a reference to the nuclear aircraft carrier

>Outlanders
>Manabe
My niggas. He's also one of my favorite H-artists even if his girls today have Sameface Syndrome.

>pic very related

?

It looks like it's trying to emulate/parody western comic books.

Literally HOW?!

>people who speak English only watch stuff that has an English translation
What a revelation.

Is Chacha obscure?

Attached: 4.jpg (300x299, 27K)

Maybe
It was shown in my anime club back in the day tho

>Then they find God's spaceship

?

Attached: xg_eldridge.jpg (640x480, 58K)

I know VOTOMS is far from obscure but I'm still strongly getting that vibe watching Mellowlink from the only seeded torrent I could find, loving every second of it too aside from the eye-searing interlacing. The more I watch it the more I'm convinced this specifically was one of Kojima's biggest inspirations for MGS and Snake's character, quite a few uncanny resemblances.

Attached: [mSubs - MQ]Armor Hunter Mellowlink 04 - Leaning Tower (DVD).mkv_snapshot_01.13_[2019.05.23_22.14.48 (704x478, 66K)

>Tobor

Dyslexia much?

>locomotion best days
thx idiota, now I'm sad.

Oh, I love Mad Birds!

I never want to see that expression in an image with fist in the filename ever again.

Children of the Whales, probably the most melodramatic schlock made in a long time even by the very low standards of anime. Still kinda good though imo, definitely had a unique and interesting premise and I would watch a season 2.

It looks like the little bubbles from The Matrix when they wake up in the real world. And we know those two weirdos love anime.

Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge

Attached: Kaoruko.jpg (712x480, 37K)

>between life and death

So human + ghost = zombie?

Probably not by Japanese standards but for us it is.

Attached: Akazukin Chacha - 02 [DVD H264] [54BD8A03].avi_snapshot_08.39_[2015.09.19_05.26.06].jpg (640x480, 30K)

battle programmer shirase
11eyes
brave10
ookami kakushi
omamori himari
levelE

Why THAT of all ships?! Why a ship named after some jackass politician?!

Would Hand Maid May be considered obscure?

Attached: 1453663981801.jpg (500x759, 146K)

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say the uss carl vincent visited japan around the time the anime was concieved.

anybody watched picrelated? i haven't been able to find it in a decent quality but i like the artstyle

Attached: moe13810sample1.jpg (621x487, 47K)

It’s good
Very unique and ahead of its time
It was a bit melodramatic towards the end tho

Dai guard's op was hilarious to me for some reason. Kinda bland show but was fine. I liked the premise