Why all the hate for Isekai? We Westerners did it first, right?

Why all the hate for Isekai? We Westerners did it first, right?

Attached: 10650796-B020-4811-A2DE-F1A148BF2934.jpg (336x499, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faraway_Tree
youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3Bz6cIPiw
youtube.com/watch?v=m3xVdxDWFWU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Divine Comedy is pretty much Isekai

Too many wish fulfillment self-insert stories that don't properly explore the new world and focus more on waifus and dubious ethics.

I love all of the Isekai anime's coming out, but I hate that you thought you could come here and post Narnia

>don't properly explore the new world and focus more on waifus and dubious ethics.
Definitely a problem. Youjo Senki does excellent, although it's not an exploration of a "new world" but rather WW1 Germany. Overlord does alright too. Shield hero has an okay balance

Needs more slavery that is not slavery because they can stop being slaves but prefer to stay slaves because loyalty and proof of trust and more chimichangas.

Attached: 1521372371774.png (244x275, 78K)

Classic isekai didn't have excessive wish fulfillment where MC gets everything handed to them on a silver platter. Notice I said "excessive".

>that you thought you could come here and post Narnia
Well he just did.

>Classic isekai didn't have excessive wish fulfillment where MC gets everything handed to them on a silver platter. Notice I said "excessive".

This made me think of Berserk for some reason

Attached: 1547387403128.png (1366x768, 1.03M)

The westerners didn't overdo it.

Western Isekai is the best and Japan should really take notes

Attached: MV5BZjcyZmUxMzEtZjdlZS00NTM5LWJjZTUtOTU5MzgyMTFjNjQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg (945x1400, 289K)

Attached: 1555906065456.jpg (1366x768, 137K)

Attached: MV5BZTc4NTdiMTItOTc0Ny00NmM4LWEyYWMtZjc3OTFlZTI3YzQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg (1200x743, 212K)

Peak of western isekai

Attached: MV5BN2EyZjM3NzUtNWUzMi00MTgxLWI0NTctMzY4M2VlOTdjZWRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUzOTQ5MjY@._V1_.jpg (1978x2936, 2.42M)

Unironically better than the modern faux-"medieval" Dragon Quest JRPG game mechanics drivel. It's not that it particularly bothers me, a season in anime would still only have a few decent shows regardless never mind what the current trash trend is, but it's just so shit in general. Fucking battle school harems were less offensive to my sensibilities.

That doesn't say much.
Problem is that isekai is prime escapism and the author usually rides heavily on that.
The story doesn't have to be well written or original, you can just write "mc goes to jrpg world" #658336 and otaku will eat that shit right up.

>Overlord does alright too
>Shield hero has an okay balance
Overlord is the best example ever of a crass, trashy garbage story based around videogame logic which exists solely to fellate and coddle the MC while parading a 'wacky' cast of side-characters which unsurprisingly include hot girls desperately lusting over his cock, and how popular this is with sad, lonely zoomers living vicariously.
Shield Hero is the same but it also panders to lolicons with victim-complexes and even more than Overlord.
Absolutely pathetic opinion.

In the west, it's not a bland mc going to fantasy videogame land replete with videogame hubs so they can be suddenly op and get a harem. Anime is trash for mentally retarded fucks.

The hilarious delusion that once Isekai is gone "good" anime and manga will be released instead. People said the same shit about Battle Harems back when they were all the rage too.

Attached: 1521070309468.jpg (396x402, 81K)

One of my favorite isekais. Has all the tropes too.

Attached: 51t0Ua0s+8L.jpg (400x500, 55K)

I miss when all of the dead girl romances were coming out. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia made me cry like a little girl who watched her parents die. It was like I injected pure emotion into my veins

Attached: 1547440784815.jpg (403x401, 83K)

Comparing a work of classic literature to generic self-insert fantasy should be a bannable offense.

No.

Attached: this is bait.gif (400x400, 105K)

I want Galadriel to lull me to sleep with elven speak ASMR.

Too often is it not utilized the way it's meant to be, the "our world" factor must remain and important factor of the protagonist and not fade away into being something utterly pointless.

Attached: 9780895771858-us.jpg (322x500, 32K)

was the self insert in the story Tom Bombadil?

>Youjo Senki does excellent, although it's not an exploration of a "new world" but rather WW1 Germany.
Youjo Senki is great, but its main flaw is that being an isekai adds nothing. Tanya could be a particularly mercenary young genius who rejects god and literally nothing would change. Her "really" being a salaryman is pointless except as an initial hook to lure in brainlet isekai fans.

>don't properly explore the new world and focus more on waifus and dubious ethics.
>Definitely a problem. Overlord does alright too. Shield hero has an okay balance
Are you kidding? These are literally waifu collection simulators. Oh, I guess Overlord isn't, actually, but only because he starts at the level cap with a bevy of devoted monstergirls to start with, no collection needed.

It's the over-reliance on jRPG video game stat bullshit that ruins it.

>Needs more slavery that is not slavery because they can stop being slaves but prefer to stay slaves because loyalty and proof of trust and more chimichangas
I for one was very disappointed that Peter didn't growl "unforgivable" and torture Edmund to death before angsting about it in a vague moral handwave that went nowhere because everyone assured him he was totally in the right anyway.

Also, why no explicit threesome between him and his two sisters?!?

>Peak of western native isekai

when will we get more YA dystopia animes?

Attached: Young-adult-dystopias-infographic-Feed-Me-Books-Now.png (1280x1100, 839K)

will the space fantasy fad catch on?

I think the salaryman stich is that he is autistically analytical and culture/contextless

I get your point but Shield Hero at least pretends to a degree to be about the plot. Compare that with Konosuba. Not the mention it does a really good job at making the watcher anger, and the struggle the MC went through in the first episode was perfectly executed character development. I will admit it's downhill from there though

Have you seen Shinsekai Yori?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faraway_Tree

And Africans fucked monkeys first. Being the first of something doesn't automatically make it great.

>I get your point but Shield Hero at least pretends to a degree to be about the plot. Compare that with Konosuba.
Konosuba is a comedy. So yeah, it doesn't pretend to be "about the plot": it's about the characters and the humor, and plot is at most a vehicle for those.

Which is part of why it stands head and fucking shoulders anove Shield Hero I mean jesus are you kidding me

>I think the salaryman stich is that he is autistically analytical and culture/contextless
Tanya grew up in her "new" world her whole life, a world which is largely identical to pre-WWI Earth. She's anything but contextless.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland feels a bit like isekai too.

The middle part of SSY before the bakenesumi rebbelion reminded me way too much of a shitty YA dystopia novel. Especially the part where the old lady was trying to get the MC to be her succesor.

Well yeah, they didn't get literally everything handed to them on a silver platter either, like 90% of narou stuff is doing right now.

It's not the concept of isekai itself, it's how poorly it's done, to the point that Narnia of all things looks better written in comparison.

watch me
French already made successful reverse isekai kino by the year 1993

Attached: Dossier-Les-Visiteurs-fp.jpg (660x330, 118K)

Narnia's pretty shit though in its own way

god i wish that were me

youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3Bz6cIPiw

No mention of one of the best movies about a modern-day character trapped in medieval times and using science to kick ass?

Tolkien's self insert is Beren. It legitimately reads in his tombstone. Unsurprisingly his wife then has Luthien written in it.

Isekai done right.

Attached: is.jpg (1031x713, 468K)

Delete this right now.

It's native isekai, user, not bait

What the fuck is native isekai?

This is why overlord anime is a mistake

forced meme

We've told you faggots multiple times but heres why:
>Supplanted traditional Japanese fantasy and eats up too much market share while also being the bottom of the barrel when it comes to plotting
>Embraced cancerous tropes (RPG mechanics)
>Cookie cutter characters, plot points and themes
>Stories aren't about throwing some rando into the meat grinder and trying to survive, but about shitstomping with your cheat powers
>Constant threads that start bringing in even lower quality Korean and Chinese shit to Yea Forums
>People introducing absolutely retarded shit into the lexicon like "Native Iseaki" whether genuine or shitposting

youtube.com/watch?v=m3xVdxDWFWU
*ahem*
watch ME, 1973 soviet kino

butthurt GoT-fag spotted

There is nothing wrong with isekai as an idea. There is everything wrong with a million Gary stu video game isekai trash.

Was Ulysses isekai'd though?

I've only ever read the first book, like 3 times.
Are the other books worth reading now that I'm an adult?

What's the first isekai book/story?

this book is fun

Attached: Cover_of_1632.jpg (274x440, 38K)

The later books in the series didn't quite appeal to me as much, although I appreciated how the story points out that the people of the 17th century aren't less intelligent, just coming from a background with less accumulated human knowledge.

I only read 1633, but they seem to keep a nice balance between the moderns and the pasts, since the more they develop their infrastructure the more knowledge seeps out into the world. I wish someone would make a tv series based on it.

I'd consider watching it if only to see an actual depiction of Breitenfeld. It's one of the great battles of the 30YW, yet I can't find a proper inclusion of it in filmed media.

post non-shit japanese isekai

Attached: 41J4LdSIZYL._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg (358x499, 26K)

user you just don't understand the deep and intricate thoughts of these fictional women written by a lonely middle aged Japanese man.

Miles better and with much more soul than any isekai.

Attached: dungeons and dragons.jpg (1400x700, 334K)

/thread for this and all future isekai discussions

this

that's what people mean when they say "native isekai"

Russians are really obsessed with this kind of alt-history isekai
I guess it makes sense, given how much potential was squandered by one tyrant after the other

Attached: Xux392O.jpg (1280x912, 293K)

It's shit.

>When he opens his car and the isekai planned books are in it

Attached: 1458106118670.gif (500x280, 463K)

>not alice in wonderland
Im disapponted OP

I wish I could read russian

Attached: 1485547752966.jpg (200x334, 26K)

Hopefully never.

How can the West be so based?

Attached: 51oTNpsbqaL._SY445_.jpg (312x445, 34K)

Not really outside of academic interest. Narnia is largely remembered because it is a children's fantasy series from the 50s when such were still uncommon, and because of Lewis's friendship with a more renowned and influential fantasy author.
Narnia is a classic, but classic doesn't necessarily mean that it would always be a particularly compelling read. If you're a kid and a voracious reader you probably go through it and think that it's pretty good shit, but it doesn't really hold up for an adult's pleasure reading.

This sort of shit and coming of age movies about some suburbian/rural brat were the worst shit to slog through in the 90's/00's.

Two of the magic lands they visit are called the land of Take-what-you-want and the land of Do-as-you-please.

But yes wankery is wankery,

Why is Faraway Paladin an isekai anyway?
Taking the "I've been reborn and now view this experince from an outside view" away and nothing would change from the story. If anything it would improve in my opinion.

Attached: 1453499697288.gif (500x281, 493K)

Isekai isn't bad.
It's just fucking everywhere an often used by lazy writers.

It's like asking why action or monster movies are bad and posting Godzilla and John wick. Just because there are examples where it works doesn't mean that the majority aren't shit.
And the majority are complete shit.

Just like Adam and Eve exiled to a worse world

There's too much of it. Kinda like how in the 2000s, everyone was trying to be the next Naruto.

Outragefags need something to get upset over, nothing weird or new.

Didn't it give him preference for a god for him due to his isekai experience or something?

Not even posting the archetype of Op isekai protagonist

Attached: 41591.jpg (252x400, 50K)

Magician's Nephew and The Silver Chair are really good. You appreciate a lot more of the religious tones of the series as an adult.

Too many written by Asians whose sole life experience and frame of reference are playing shitty MMOs.

So in the WN it's implied that Kumoko is on the level of Mother thanks to absorbing her power maybe a little bit higher but the Demon King is head and shoulders above Mother. So my question then is did Kumoko get a greater pwoer up in the LN when she became an Arachne or did she simply trick the Demon King into not killing her before she became an Admin

Attached: file.png (920x1140, 2.5M)

She literally only has half of Ariel's stats at the time of her evolution into a arachne. One of the main reasons Ariel didn't kill her this time around is because one of Kumo's wills fused with Ariel's soul so she's party Kumo too.

Does it though? All the isekai angle ever does is that he sometimes self loathes his previous life, but neither knowledge or anything from it plays a role.
And in the context of the story it was always gonna be the godess of reincarnation. If not for his upbringing it would be to be the advesary of the ged of stagnation.

do Harry Turtledove's Crosstime Travel books count as isekai?

Anime when?

How much of the actual world you live in have explored user? You better say something like 90%, because otherwise you don't get to complain. If your candy ass were transported to an alternate world, you'd be working as a milk delivery boy in the same small town all your life.

someone told me they argue a lot and get into scuffles. If Ariel is that far above her she should have no problem at all enforcing her will without any need to get physical or settling it in one blow

Attached: file.png (736x1104, 744K)

Yeah, but Ariel isn't a unfeeling robot chink murderhobo, especially after getting infected by Kumo, they're the closest each other has to a family so instead of trying to kill the unkillable cockroach that will given enough time turn her into a empty husk might as well banter with her instead.

Attached: native truth.png (412x322, 123K)

Is that why Kumoko is going with the Demon King's plan to save the world rather than Guri Guri's

Attached: file.png (736x1104, 757K)

>unironically explains naitions' tax policy
Is this the best fantasy/isekai conceived by men?

Attached: 1548799768489.jpg (1280x1600, 1.1M)

The only reason she's even bothering with trying to save the retarded angel is because she's Ariel's adoptive mom, otherwise shit would have been over volumes ago.

which sidestory do we get Ariel's backstory