Code Geass

The first season was great, why the fuck did the second season end up being so horrible?

Attached: Lelouch.jpg (320x224, 22K)

i remember explanation at the time was changed timeslots. has there been more info since then?

Time slots were changed and they were forced to redo the plot up until Zero requiem.

But I remember from what the original plan for season 2, aside from Lelouch winning the stand off vs Suzuaku originally, was pants on head retarded.

Was it just me or were less people killed off 2nd season? Save for the end of course.

Attached: btfo'd.png (1280x720, 864K)

Honestly the only problems were that everyone is flying now, that jewgi got off without any consequences for sabotaging the first rebellion and that people other than jewgi turned on zero too fast. There were some other minor things, but if those three thing were fixed it would improve a lot.

4 holy swords
Rolo
Charles and Marianne
Shirley
Diethard
vs
Euphy

The universe felt a lot more grounded in the first season
Second season it was pew pew laser beams and flying mechas everywhere

There was some build up. People like Tohdoh were already beginning to doubt Zero before Schneizel's reveal and were considering what to do with him when they didn't need him to get Japan back anymore.

Timeslot was changed to a more kid-friendly one and Bandai demanded more focus on the mechas and a new mecha every week so they could sell more toys

R2 should have given Anya more screentime, then it would have been better.

Attached: 6600419_p0.jpg (1203x1476, 737K)

i don't disagree, but those feel really minor in the end. the bigger problem was what was anything building up to? in S1 i had a pretty good idea of what was going on and the general flow of tipping of the scales, but S2 was all over the place.
i tried rewatching it a while back and got to the reveal of the laser crystal submarine and couldn't take it anymore. nothing has impact. it's just big reveal after big reveal after big reveal.

Yes, but the whole thing went down in a few minutes, it would have been better if they asked for time to discuss it, even if most of them agreed. Also nobody questioned why jewgi is with a britannian baroness, who was also with him when the first one failed, and just taking their confession at face value. Not involving Kallen at is strange.

I think it was the fodderization of the common units. It was effective the first time at the end of R1 when zero brings down the entire city and all the tanks/planes get crushed, but it starts to happen again and again in R2 where they blow up an entire army of helicopters/mechs every time they want to showcase how powerful a new technology is. I'm pretty sure there's a scene with Bismarck where two knightmares fly right into his slash just so they can show off his strength (even though he gets one-shot later)

R1 was more grounded with how they handled the importance of the ground soldier and common unit. Zero had a shitty command mech, and had to use the Guren to match the Lancelot, while the rest was about out-maneuvering and predicting the opposing commander's move. Once he got the Gawain/Shinkiro, he just melted all the common units himself.

Honestly the Shinkiro was pretty shitty, outside it's initial reveal it never really did anything. At least with the Gawain he could leech off C.C.'s piloting skill.

This desu, s1 combat was realistic.

Second season was better.

Honestly everything in R2 up until Shirley dies is pretty boring.

literal whos

>flying mechas everywhere
Fake /m/an detected. Go back to r/thedonald fukwit

The Gawain got its ass handed to it by Cornelia, it was just a testbed for tech, though its cannons should have had way less shots or damage.

Lol the Le timeslot is changed meme!!!!!!!!

ROLO DID NOTHING WRONG

Attached: big brother.jpg (597x500, 34K)

I like Gundam, but it was jarring to see the change between CG R1 and R2

I view it with the perspective of R2 being a technological war with the real main players being Lloyd and Rakshata. It just gets repetitive having the bebebebebeep sound and cut to the radar showing thousands of units being wiped out every time a new knightmare has to be debuted.

Second Season just felt rushed, nothing that happened in it was stupid or anything, it was just a pacing problem like 90% of every anime ever made.

>nothing that happened in it was stupid or anything
Not even the part where he correctly predicts Schneizel's every sentence?

>he cant predict peoples responses

He doesn't exactly correctly predict everything. I mean, i'm sure you've been in arguments where each person can say things that don't directly address what the other just said? He only needed to distract him for a couple minutes.

And it is reasonable to direct and plan the conversation in a way to try to catch multiple possible ways things can flow too.

Also remember they are brothers, and Lelouch understands Schneizel's personality very well.

If you rewatch and analyze all of what Lelouch is saying there, like with against Mao, he's actually being fairly general in his statements, and it often interrupts what the other person is saying, or has a delay

>they could have used these recap movies to redo S2 as it was originally intended, but didn't
Missed opportunity

no

Honestly I don't think the original plan for R2 with Lelouch having to work his way up the Black Knights while someone else acted as Zero would be very interesting. From the beginning I like that Zero is the leader and actually makes all the plans and stuff for his orignization, you don't get that very much in anime - at least in mecha. The main character is almost always at the bottom of the ranks.

Attached: 7759819_p0.jpg (1024x768, 234K)

I was very excited and curious if they'd do this, but they instead did what I suspected they'd do -- basically skip the first half of R2.

What was in the first half of R2? Relatively, it was still a good show, far better than the average anime, but it changed the tone and had to re-introduce the characters, plot, story beats, etc. to the viewer. It kind of side tracks the direction the story reached at the end of season 1.

On rewatches, it became clear to me that when Lelouch goes to hunt down the Geass Order, that's where the narrative feels like it truly picks back up from the end of season 1.

I skimmed through the 2nd Geass recap movie and was happy to see that they basically did what I thought; Suzaku takes Lelouch in to Charles, who wipes his memory. What they did in having the 2nd movie be from Suzaku's POV was pretty smart because it allowed them to soon show the return of Zero without all the details, basically letting them skip all of the first half of R2, and getting Lelouch to hunt down VV as quickly as possible.

So I don't think what they did was too bad.

I agree it could have been much more interesting to see what they originally planned, but it's possible that it was worse overall even and what we got was better, at least in some ways.

excited? for anime? hahahahahahaha

Yes. With Mao, but here he it's bullshit, he also perfectly timed his entry, his responses follow too quickly and accurately.

Stop with this meme, it was always shit, there's no good season, it's always the same retardation

>Rolo
>Charles and Marianne
>Shirley
>literal whos

Hmm, kind of wish of a AU spin-off with this as the ending.

No, its because the first season was planned to be twice as long.
Second season ruined the series with its power creep

It's because there is too many people besides the main cast to care for them, it doesnt help that a select few weapons can wipe out armies and they do it regulalry making everyone who is not a main fodder. S1 had people on both sides, now we have mecha armies.

First season focused more on military tactics, topography, positioning, weapons specs. Second season still had some of those aspects, but nowhere to the same degree as thee first season. It also focused on shiny mechas and constant upgrades to the main ones.

The Gawain is the best Knightmare design in the entire show

Attached: Gawain.png (1920x1080, 1.76M)

People always say this but the first season wasn't exactly realistic and not over-the-top at all times. It also ignores the context that R2 has a lot more drama and plot-related things going on in place of the tactical stuff. The fight choreography is still really solid and animation fluid, I never saw it as much of an issue. The series does have some establishment and pacing problems thanks to the plan changes but considering what they had to work with they did a great job imo. I actually thought how Lelouch regained his memory and had to hide again was pretty cleverly executed.

they planned for continuous 4 cour?
in 2006 or whatever it was?

i thought those were long dead.

I wish they'd axe the Mao arcs.
In S2 too much time is spent at school, especially at the start.
The whole memory loss thing was done far better in death note.
The best critique I've heard, and I don't agree with it, stems from two points. 1 - Are you okay with being intentionally mislead? and 2 - Are you sold on Lelouche's motivations?
If you're not okay with the former then every twist is a fuck you. If you're not sold on the latter then it seems like there's a tonne of cop-outs. A friend of mine insists the Euphy scene is the single shittest part of any anime; Lulu clearly values revenge and not at all Nunally's well being so this had to happen to keep the show staggering along.

They poured money into it. The story was gold. Clamp is taking care of the art. Music is on paid for. The studio has plenty of experience with pretty mechs. There's no reason it wouldn't go well. Success can be forced with enough money. IO'm surprised they got cold feet if that was the plan.

>Second Season just felt rushed,
It's literally the other way around: it's not R2 that's too rushed, it's R1 that was too slow. Anime is so filled with boring-ass shows where nothing happens that people got used to it to the point they believe that's how things are.
So when something like R2 comes in and shows everyone how anime should actually be, the contrast is so striking that normalfags instinctively reject it as if it was something bad.
It's like someone who lived his entire life inside a dark cave suddenly got forcibly drag out to the blinding daylight.

>it was just a pacing problem like 90% of every anime ever made.
Yes, and R1 is a prime example of that:
great first 2 episodes that serve as a bait to lure in viewers fooling them that's how the whole series will be, then absolutely nothing of relevance happens for like half the series, then at 5 eps. from the end they finally remember they have a story to tell and shove it in your face all at once.
Thank God R2 corrected that mistake and that's what makes it way superior to R1.

Attached: palmer.jpg (232x295, 56K)

The second season was better.

do you ever think maybe charles fucked marianne in anya's body

R2 is so fucking entertaining that it doesn't matter. R1 isn't the pinnacle of intelligent writing either, so for one I'm glad they fully committed themselves in R2.

>Anime is so filled with boring-ass shows where nothing happens that people got used to it to the point they believe that's how things are.
Joke's on them, they should have watched a movie once in their lives.

Wish she got more development too, when Orange boy undid the memory geass put on her you don't really see her again until the very end where she's picking oranges with orange boy.

Is hating the second season a meme? There was nothing particularly bad about it unless you're some kind of autist who needs everything to be exactly how you want it or whatever.

Oddly enough I actually liked season 2 more than 1

I think people were just put off my the whole memory wipe thing.

>Is hating the second season a meme?
Nope. It's 100% legit unironical brainletry.

Attached: CGhaters.jpg (1087x686, 115K)

JIBUUUUUUUN WOOOOOOO

It's "realistic" in a sense that the mechas still mostly follow physics, combat is still fought out by armies, the battle is not decided by a single op mech killing everything in sight. You can see the support and transport units, aircraft are utilised. The knightmares are oversized infantry, well they are not called that for no reason, it's essentially the modern knight's armor and horse.

I like JIBUN WO but I'm more of a SEKAI NO OWARI DE type of guy

JIBUN WO is one of my favorite anime OPs, really

>A friend of mine insists the Euphy scene is the single shittest part of any anime;
I've been thinking about this scene:
Would it have been any better if they'd shown more scenes of him gradually beginning to lose control of his powers, in perhaps less crucial moments, earlier on building up to that Euphy throwaway comment?

Perhaps. But the timing would still be suspect.
To see it as a fuck-up you had to believe he was willing to accept Euphy's plan. Which comes down to his motivation.
More time needed to be spent with Nunnally and less time spent killing Britanians so that when he claims his goal is "to create a better world for Nunnally" you believe it.
I have to agree with my friend, that Lulu's goals aren't well established. And I might even go further and agree that despite what Lelouch says about his motivation, what you see in the series does not support this. He is vengeful and malicious and he puts on a facade for his sister. However I would also say that he didn't seem to change objectives; what ever the outcome was is what he intended so you can judge his intentions retroactively. And in the meantime I enjoy the unpredictability of the series.

>was great
Code Geass always sucked.

>cringe as fuck and plain MC
>boring shit-ass mech battles
>muh nostalgia

Attached: 1531694519676.png (883x628, 758K)

>R2 has a lot more drama and plot-related things going on in place of the tactical stuff
That wasn't really good either.

That being said: Code Geass in general is hilariously overrated. If they hadn't had Clamp designs and fujoshit hype the show would have been already forgotten.

Only faggots and trannies care about that feminine sissyboy. REAL men with high testosterone levels don't even remember his name.

>More time needed to be spent with Nunnally and less time spent killing Britanians so that when he claims his goal is "to create a better world for Nunnally" you believe it.
Yes that would've been better.
>To see it as a fuck-up you had to believe he was willing to accept Euphy's plan.
I can't remember whether or not I thought Lelouch's sudden backing down at the last moment in killing Euphy and instead acquiescing, perhaps all too easily, was too OO(established)C or not.
About time I re-watched this shit.

Do the recap movies portray the scene any differently?