reddit.com/r/animemes
wiki.bibanon.org/Main_Page
strawpoll.me/18016525/r
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tomo best girl

Tomo WORST girl.

tomo my waidu

Tomo ruined the entire episode!
Anyway, the reason this series is popular is because it has Soul. And I mean what I said without a shred of irony or sarcasm. Some series have a set of qualities some of which are hard to define that allow a commercial product to become art and endow it with Soul. Azumanga Daioh has soul. It's as simple as that.

Attached: sakaki_smile.jpg (1440x1080, 551K)

The truth is, it's not.
It's a product of its time, and should be seen as such. However, it's quality should be overshadowed by most modern anime of the same genre's if seen by the eyes of an unbiased viewer.
However, the legacy it created is of great value, and should be respected even mroe than those better anime.

now that i think about it, i don't think it was particularly good. it certainly wasn't bad, though.

Attached: 0b21bc95cdf6bab342be7eb16f3cc118.jpg (640x400, 43K)

After you finish this show:
Go watch Ika Musume and YuYuShiki

Attached: 1544762952502.png (1920x1080, 2.52M)

I'm'a try'n answer honest cuz I'm bored

1. overly cute accommodating caring righteous prodigy girl (+ big dog and wealth)
2. airhead girl as MC (+ comedic imagination/dreams)
3. the tomboy+cats story arc.
4. inclusion of stressed out cake teachers
5. that male teacher

if you combine these 5 elements into another anime, it would probably be great

i remember being so sad when i finished watching this the first time about 12 years ago. i never wanted it to end..

I fucking love Tomo.

It knows how to pace its jokes, which gives it a certain atmosphere.

I can't really explain it.

Attached: 1520012637964.jpg (1920x1080, 263K)

The show that launched the CGDCT invasion.

It had better material than most of them and they didn't shy away from slapsticking their cutest character.

The characters were able to bounce each other perfectly, making it one of the best comedy anime.

i wanna dick chiyo

Attached: cHIGHyo-chan.png (193x255, 71K)

It's not that good if you compare it to the masterpiece that is the manga.

This.

Attached: 1551533366788.gif (360x240, 343K)

Yup, this.

Yomi's thicc thighs

It basically codified the moe aesthetic, but it wasn't written as a moe show. The focus is more on how wacky and fun the girls are, instead of just cuteness (although there's a lot of that)

Even being inferior to the manga the anime still holds up well today. It's beloved for a reason.
>Yotsuba anime will always be NEVER EVER

Sakaki's fantastic bod.

The girls are all funny, but they're given hints of deeper character sprinkled throughout the show. Yeah we laugh at Sakaki getting bitten by the cat but when you look past the jokes you see her as the soft hearted lonely girl who loves animals and just wants to be near people.

It's not really even across the board the girls have more to them then just their archetypes.

Attached: Sadkaki 1.jpg (1440x1080, 90K)

Because it's a timeless classic

Is Sakaki the hottest character in the history of anime?

Yes. The answer is yes.

its good but it's aged a bit and the pacing of the anime doesnt do the manga justice.
what's a 10-second read in the 4koma is stretched out to a fucking 5min scene.
Also Azuma's a cunt because his friends wait for him to come back to the local bar in his hometown but he's "too busy" to come hang out. Bar's owner said 20ish years ago he used to come in and draw manga at the counter while sipping his drinks and was a geniunely good guy back then.

It just is

It has Osaka and Osaka's voice

>and the pacing of the anime doesnt do the manga justice.

I wouldn't disagree but I'd also argue that while the jokes aren't as snappy the anime actually manages to make the character stuff work a lot better and the anime pace creates it's own mood and tone beyond just a rapid fire gag comic.

Attached: Azumanga Daioh - 09 Miss Sakaki.mkv_snapshot_20.57_[2019.02.10_04.58.29].jpg (1440x1080, 104K)

It wasn't pretentious and had honest animation

Sakaki is best.

All the girls are sexy and I wanna fuck them

based

Attached: 1534379660716.jpg (1920x1080, 99K)

yeah you're right.
the show's slow pacing has it's own comfyness to it that's for sure.

K-on is a lot better. Which is ironic considering how the K-on manga was a shameless and uncanny rip-off of Azumanga Daioh.

Attached: 1538677759138.jpg (400x400, 23K)

I wouldn't say it's a lot better, on the average I think AzuDai still pulls ahead but man did it's ending get me.

Unironically because Azuma is one of the greatest mangaka of all time. He knows how to blend comedy, cute, and feels perfectly. Its the reason why even though the adaptation isn't nearly as good as the yonkoma, it is still regarded as one of the single greatest SoL shows of all time, and a master of all.
Wouldn't exactly say K-On is better cause it doesn't have that consistency but it's still really good and part of the reason why it birthed modern moe

Attached: 1533182207500.png (741x592, 77K)

Even Chiyo?

It's my favorite SoL show after Hidamari Sketch

Especially Chiyo.

Attached: 1533354626405.jpg (640x480, 22K)

Attached: chiyogtfo.png (500x450, 25K)

>Also Azuma's a cunt because his friends wait for him to come back to the local bar in his hometown but he's "too busy" to come hang out. Bar's owner said 20ish years ago he used to come in and draw manga at the counter while sipping his drinks and was a geniunely good guy back then.

[citation needed]

Attached: newfags.png (500x582, 195K)

A lot of SOL anime don't necessarily end, to put it in a way. They're just kinda forever doomed in a highschool setting.

Azumanga introduces a cast of classic tropes that are sometimes so overexaggerated that you love it even more from a comedic perspective.

And watching these characters slowly progress through highschool and eventually finish leaves a hole in your heart when it's all over. Being one of the first massively popular SOLs that defined a lot of major tropes is already impressive, but the feeling of actually having to leave the characters as they would progress in their fictional lives is even more impressive from a writing perspective.

Attached: 1307520555046.jpg (720x480, 112K)

>CGDCT

Took me a second.

>thicc thighs

reddit.com/r/animemes

oh that's weird, some slime fell from the sky

Attached: 166087.jpg (1132x794, 257K)

Get that checked.

Attached: 1558256834816.png (800x550, 48K)

It's not.most prople on this board pretend to like it so come off as oldfags.truth to be told the show is okay in its own right.just not as good as Yea Forums makes it out to be 99% of the times
>inb4 imagine having such shit tastei

Attached: 1558195215186.png (692x495, 262K)

imagine kill yourself faggot go back to Yea Forums

Imagine trying this hard to fit in. Fuck off.

Attached: 1426641914442.jpg (350x500, 67K)

Cause Azuma-sensei's a bro

Come to think of it the amount of SOL shows that actually have the characters get older and graduate and say goodbye is pretty rare. I can think of a few that do have graduations but not many that cover their entire school life

The sky broke

Which ones?

I'm a K-on fan and I'd say that this isn't true
Azu easily edges out K-on

How?

She literally ruined the whole episode.

i lived in Takasago for a few years where he's from. Went to a bar there occasionally which had bookcases filled with manga. Noticed there was a lot of Yotsuba& and Azumanga. Barkeep told the story.
Bar closed last April to relocate elsewhere, owner seriously seemed a bit sad that Azuma never came back after Azumanga got popular.

Yukari or Nyamo, Yea Forums?

Nyamo. Yukari is a slut.

Yukari. She's a slut.

Azuma TM when?

Attached: azuma.jpg (704x557, 93K)

soul

A likely story.

Nyamo is the canon slut though

Post examples.

Duality of man.

Attached: singularity_of_man.jpg (478x135, 11K)

Yeah, exactly

Attached: Screenshot (6085).png (1197x897, 690K)

>The 2 cute cake teachers are single
>The weird creepy male teacher has a cute normal wife
What did Azuma mean by this?

in my expirence older women are usually single/dating still while older dudes usually have a wife

Nyamo may have lived a little but she matured a lot after graduation. So rather than focusing on her sordid past, I rather stand by my kind, considerate sweetheart PE teacher. Plus you get her to reveal her hidden wild side in bed.

Yukari meanwhile is the same immature brat she probably was as a kid and any relationship with her will end in her either stealing or breaking all your stuff and any sex will basically just be her expecting you do all the work before she goes back to complaining about everyone eles's life.

Attached: Azumanga Daioh - 03 Nyamo.mkv_snapshot_05.15_[2019.02.02_05.40.16].jpg (1440x1080, 118K)

why page 10

Attached: at last.png (447x378, 11K)

Yea Forums sucks ass

Attached: To Catch a Sakaki-chan.jpg (508x612, 37K)

One of the things that make this a timeless classic for me is the caliber of the writing. The animations and plot (sol) is fairly average, but the characters and settings are memorable and likable, with comedy that is on point. K-on is another show that I will always go back to for the same reasons, but was a little bit more on the whacky side of things.

Basically, it doesn't do anything differently to a lot of other shows, but it does what it does very well. Skill in writing.

K-on does this too

Because its a show about nothing and that can be entertaining sometimes.

Example: Seinfeld

>tomo best girl

This.

Character and situation based comedy with build up, instead of "lol random" comedy like Nichijou. The characters are interesting and not just tools for telling jokes. The animation team didn't really care much about being highly detailed and chose to do a lot of low movement or chibi gags. But that lack of detail and "bad" animation actually made it feel closer to the 4koma style. Osaka and Chiyo are precious, Sakaki is sex. Tomo gets what's coming to her in the end.

Attached: [ACX]Azumanga_Daioh_-_16_-_Culture_Fest,_Second_Year_[SSJ_Saiyan_Elite]_[1C1967EC].mkv_snapshot_12.1 (640x480, 25K)

It's not as good as it could've been. The manga is cute and funny, but the anime did a terrible job adapting its 4koma format, forcing the anime to rely on lots of long pauses and repeating jokes several times in a row. K-On! is adapted in a much better way, but its source is worse. Ichigo Mashimaro, thanks to not being based on a 4koma manga, is a million times better. I think Azumanga Daioh is still pretty good because the quality of the manga seeps through, but on the whole, it's pretty overrated. However, for what it's worth, I think K-On! is overrated, too. At least none of them are Lucky Star.

The parts with Osaka are good
this. Azumanga has classic armor so people rate it better than it actually is

>complains about lots of long pauses and filler in Azumanga
>says K-On is adapted well when it does these things even more

Attached: whoadude.jpg (650x850, 112K)

K-on does not even come close to the lazy run time milking ad gag reuse that Azumanga does.

Azumanga is a Comedy with Slice of Life elements
K-ON is a Slice of Life with comedic elements

The two sound similar but are quite different and can't really be compared outside their 4koma origins, which in that instance Azumanga blows K-ON out of the water.

K-On literally has entire episodes where nothing happens. And most of the "gags" don't even come off as jokes, because they are done so slowly and have no punchline. Oh look, Mugi stole someones cake. That would be funny and cute...if the scene didn't spend 5 minutes showing a character crying and a big group effort to console her. Wait, this is suppose to be funny?

Attached: mugi_strawberry.gif (300x169, 2.11M)

>K-On literally has entire episodes where nothing happens
azumanga has entire episodes of the same five scenes repeating over and over with excessively long pauses in every conversation to draw out the run time of the show.
>Oh look, Mugi stole someones cake. That would be funny and cute...if the scene didn't spend 5 minutes showing a character crying and a big group effort to console her
>Oh look, Sakaki wanted to pet the cat but she got bit instead. That would be funny and cute... if the exact same scene didn't get repeated 10 times with no changes. Wait, is this supposed to be funny?
see, I can do it too

>azumanga has entire episodes of the same five scenes repeating over and over with excessively long pauses in every conversation to draw out the run time of the show.
No, that's not really how Azumanga Daioh works. Let's use your own example.

>>Oh look, Sakaki wanted to pet the cat but she got bit instead. That would be funny and cute... if the exact same scene didn't get repeated 10 times with no changes. Wait, is this supposed to be funny?
Sakaki trying to pet a cat does repeat. But each scene has a different outcome. Sometimes the cat runs away, sometimes it bites her, sometimes it calls a group of cats to maul her, etc. This is a standard running gag and is actually faithful to the 4koma source.

But while there will be a few of these scenes, the episode has two other plots going on. The Sakaki scenes are cut aways and not the focus of the episode.

Compare this to K-On which will have one main plot the whole episode. And it's exactly how you describe Azumanga Daioh.

>excessively long pauses in every conversation to draw out the run time of the show.

Entire episodes will literally just be them sitting in the club room talking or eating cake. And nothing happens, aside from them making some cute faces or talking about what they'll do on a trip...that you don't see.

tl;dr Azumanga Daioh is show, don't tell. K-On is telling rather than showing.

shut up and post cute azumangas

Attached: 2bb2a7ef667106494620c2457a5a8f56.jpg (857x500, 50K)

Attached: 1556147925818.jpg (320x242, 9K)

Attached: 1556507415650.jpg (842x580, 64K)

Comrade Yukarin!

Kagura was an unnecessary character.

Azumanga was my first anime I watched completely from my own initiative.

You are unnecessary.

Attached: 1535098761010.png (680x975, 381K)

Pure slut, the best kind

It's good because it's source material is good. I'd argue that the manga is even quite a bit better.

How do we cure Kaorin of the gay?

Attached: 1447779663482.png (1022x766, 523K)

a fat old man and 1000 yen

>Watch me spend an entire post talking out of my ass

2005 internet nostalgia you weren't even alive to witness

>Tomo gets what's coming to her in the end.

Like what?

Sakaki is best girl, Tomo is worst girl.

You can't refute this.

>Sakaki is best girl
How can this be true when Osaka exists?
>Tomo is worst girl
How can this be true when Kaorin exists?
It's like you didn't even watch the show.

Bullshit. Tomo is far worse than Kaorin, who didn't even do anything wrong.
And as nice and cute as Osaka is, she's no Sakaki.

>one-note joke airhead
>best girl
user...

I never had the chance to experience the joys of the "made for straight white men " Internet because I was born in '98. Didn't even any watch YouTube videos before '09. It just ain't fair.

The only thing holding it back from being a classic is JC Staff's powerpoint animation.

But I do remember watching stuff like Ben 10, Kim Possible and Pokemon Gen 3 around 2005.

>Gen 3 was in 2005
Sometimes I forget how fast time moves.

>"made for straight white men " Internet
What the fuck are you talking about. I don't normally do this but you braindead youngfags could use knowledge that doesn't come from a youtube video essay or a twitter post. Here: wiki.bibanon.org/Main_Page

because it's grounded in reality with minimal drama and no magical bullshit or pop culture references.

strawpoll.me/18016525/r
Waka Laka

Your point?

Attached: 1555599187308.jpg (800x777, 105K)

Attached: 1553229068571.jpg (550x550, 127K)

Don't give him (you)'s.

I

LOVE

OSAKA

Attached: osaka yawn.png (1680x1050, 242K)

Would you call her Ayumu Kasuga in bed?

Huee~

>He doesn't solely refer to her as Ayumu Kasuga to please her

Attached: 1533174622120.jpg (300x300, 23K)

>or pop culture references.
>Tomo greets Yomi by saying "Good morning, musume!!", in which "musume" means "girl". This is a reference to the famous Japanese pop group consisting of girls only called Morning Musume.

bump

Based Tomo putting osaka in her place

Attached: 1534956816135.png (847x665, 773K)

THE SYSTEM IS DOWN

THE SYSTEM IS DOWN

>ohayou, Ayumu!
>...who?

I miss the X anime face.

Is that a Homestar Runner reference?

it's kino from a time gone by

Manga is Godlike, but the anime has aged like milk and people overlook a lot of its (rather glaring) flaws due to its legacy status. A lot of the jokes have atrocious pacing due to some chapters not translating well into an animated format and the production values are downright fucking terrible. The anime-only material is actually rather decent due to being free to progress at its own tempo.

Attached: souls.gif (498x211, 833K)

I disagree

Most 4-koma adaptations have the same issues. They just don't translate well to animation. I think K-on is a good example of one done right, since they pretty much reworked everything to the point where the manga and anime are almost nothing alike, Especially season 2.

why would you link me there? Yea Forums doesn't like anime.

Attached: 1551101477615.jpg (474x355, 12K)

I loved that comfy talk between tomo and yomi at yomi's place and was surprised when it didn't show up in the manga at all.

What did they talk about?

Ganbareing in the face of mediocrity

Attached: Azumanga Daiou 19 [AEE31079].mkv_snapshot_17.27_[2019.05.23_00.54.17].jpg (712x480, 42K)

This. Its influence is undoubted, but those who claim it to be a masterpiece reek of nostalgiafaggotry. I salute it for pioneering the genre.