Akira Toriyama

Is he a good writer Yea Forums?

Attached: Akira-Toriyama-Net-Worth-2019.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I
youtube.com/watch?v=uPwVuC3YOrc
youtube.com/watch?v=BwGKF8_RO28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He was pretty hit or miss while he was writting dragon ball

Nope. Dragonball sagas was just ultimate-comfy and fun. The Z half was predictable, formulaic, and shallow. Yet somehow, it was awesome and better than anything that tries its hardest not to be that. Somehow, series like berserk will never be half as good.

Haha, nope

Guess he never misses huh

I'm fucking sending your ass back to r*ddit

Oda, Togashi, Araki and Hori think he is. And their opinion is worth more than those of rando losers on Yea Forums.

he's one of the best mangaka of the 80s, but Dr. Slump is his masterpiece

DB and Early DBZ are up there as the top best shonen series ever, being perfectly balanced between funny, goofy, adventurous, fighting, and climatic scenery. Im sure he's a good writer.

based redditor

Yes, But then I think he's always been one, but he fell for the oldest trick in the book: extending your series after you've hit writers block.

>haha I can't believe these grown adults are still falling for this elementary school writing an endless power levels

I dunno if he's a good writer, but Trunks made me gay so there's some character development for ya

he definitely a master of fight scenes

Original Dragon Ball was awesome. DBZ was cool for the fights, but I enjoyed DB a lot. My friend used to lend me the manga and I read that shit like a drug addict.

Regardless of his writing I like his art.

>Anime has to fix good moments for him
>Gives super saiyan transformation one(1!) panel
Nope.

Attached: 1557216872146.png (1024x1536, 440K)

No but DBS makes DB/DBZ look like a masterpiece.

Short answer, no.
Long answer, no but he is capable of writing an interesting story with great fights. His writing is absolutely full of plot holes and other things that make it unwatchable as soon as you start thinking about it. Everything up until Raditz is A.OK and original Dragon Ball is one of the all time greatest shounens but Z and Super are the worst additions to the show in terms of writing capabilities.

No, not at all. Dragon Ball became popular due to great character designs and fights. Just like Kinnikuman and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

JoJo is high literature you poser

>accuses someone else of being a poser for not following the hivemind
I like JoJo, but the writing isn't good a lot of times. There are many plotholes and asspulls. People always ignore this though because that would mean having to admit a series we like is bad in an objective point of view.

This but i'm willing to go further and say that even Dragonball is stars in balls retarded at moments.
>Moon on a weekly cycle, Goku on manages to transform twice because reasons
>Gohan gets kill Goku doesn't really care that much, Krillin gets killed "OMG WE GOTTA GET EM ALL AND WISH HIM BACK"
>Piccolo being able to kill Shenron
>Yamcha and Yajirobe both shown to outclass Goku ONCE then get completely shit on later
>Piccolo and Kami being "Demons"

There's a lot of bullshit he left ambiguous and kinda lucky he could come around and put bullshit to them when he made Z but I highly doubt he thought far enough ahead for Namekians and Saiyans

Nope.
youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I
youtube.com/watch?v=uPwVuC3YOrc
youtube.com/watch?v=BwGKF8_RO28

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 86K)

Along with Hunter x Hunter, I think the original Dragonball is peak shonen. I don't have nearly the same levels of nostalgia for DB than I have for Z but I still think it's leagues better in terms of writing and even some of the fights.

That being said, he's an average writer who just happened to strike gold, once. Writing-wise, Z is meh and Super is honestly pretty bad. And it's no surprise considering he's gone on record several times about just making shit up on the fly and forgetting certain plotpoints. He also wanted to end things at several points in the series but was pushed to continue by the marketing people.

If you read any of his old interviews, is pretty obvious that he knows he kind of sort of got lucky at one point as a writer, tried to get out quietly, and then just said, fuck it, I'll just give them more since they keep asking for it.

I'd put it like this: Toriyama is essentially the Japanese equivalent of George Lucas. By that I mean
1) Both created IPs that are both domestically and internationally loved and staples of pop culture
2) IPs are fucking licenses to print money provided they stamp a DBZ/Star Wars logo on any given product
3) However with success and mass appeal comes a depreciation in actual quality in terms of story telling
4) Successors or any derivative works are all soulless cash grabs even going as far to flanderize iconic characters

He was never good, I'm baffled that there are so many retards who consider Dragon Ball "good" even though it started so many awful trends that plagues anime and manga to this day

>actual anime>mangafag for dragonball
Also remember that transformation power-ups weren't really a thing when he made this, so the drawn-out transformation thing didn't exist. Hell, I think the anime might have invented the trope to make the episodes longer so that the manga could get ahead.

>soulless
This meme again.

>plot holes
>bad story
Fuck cannonfags and fuck nerd culture.
Dragon Ball never had plot holes which concerned main plot points, save eschewing overpowered abilities like the Kung-Pow Cannon or Fusion which would make the manga less cool.
Remember that dragon ball is essentially a modern fairy tale, not an attempt at great literature. Would you try to poke holes in jack and the fucking beanstalk?

It stopped being a fairytale after Z ended

None of this is an example of shit writing, save the Gohan getting killed thing, which I don't remember the context for. Hell, some of it's not even valid.
For example, Yajirobe was as strong as goku, and goku's strength is constantly increasing due to his being a battle prodigy, there was no reason Piccolo couldn't kill shenron, Piccolo was a "demon" in that he was an unknown being resembling a frightening human who tyrannized the masses without remembering his real origin, and Goku was told to never look at the moon since he was young. Must have transformed several times way back in Gohan had an opportunity to tell him to never look at the moon before he got stepped on.

I'm assuming you meant after DB ended, in which case, the manga is one story, with the division between DB and DBZ not existing. Although it took itself seriously, only so much as any children's story about a hero trying to save the day. Which, and I can't stress this enough, it still is. Westerners tent to put unfair critical burdens on Shonen manga because they try to ignore the fact that it's all written for children/early teens to justify their liking it. There are serious manga for adults. This isn't one of them. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to like it, but it does mean things like plotholes matter far less than spectral.

>spectral
Shit, meant spectacle.

>way back in Gohan
Meant
>way back when if Gohan