Tell me why you watch anime/read manga instead of other shit

Tell me why you watch anime/read manga instead of other shit

Attached: images.jpg (500x563, 39K)

>instead of
>in addition to
ftfy.
Because I can.

There aren’t people who solely consume anime and manga, are there?

>instead of

The girls are cute and it doesn't shove social commentary down my throat.

pretty much this. also most anime are 12 eps then it's over. you don't watch it for years just to be let down by a shitty ending.

>there are people on this very board who consume non-anime/manga related products
I too like to pretend I am well-read on the internet.

There was a long time when I had stopped watching anime/reading manga and was watching movies or listening to music or playing video games. But as of the last year or so I've just felt like watching anime/reading manga. I've watched anime/read manga since I was a kid and there's still a lot I haven't seen/read that I want to.

I pretty much watch only anime nowadays but I need to start watching a few TV shows that seem interesting to me, like Westworld and Chernobyl.
I read western scifi a lot, probably more than I do manga. Lots of good stuff out there.

>10 years ago a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about some book about the politics of noble houses with some weird weather system

To be fair, the books were pretty nice even though the show butchered them and tried to make everything over dramatic and sexual. The show was a mistake in many regards but the first 3 books still hold up pretty well.

There's more good anime than western TV shows and it's a lot easier to digest 12 episodes at 24 minutes than 8 seasons of 40 minute episodes ie. The Sopranos

Because they pander to my niche tastes unlike other media.

About to watch the NBA playoffs
I can't imagine only liking manga/anime when there's so much other good media out there

Attached: 1535234376293.jpg (624x525, 98K)

>the books were pretty nice
:-------------DDDDDDD

Attached: GoT.jpg (1000x1250, 157K)

hi how are ya?

Western sci-fi and fantasy blow ass. I haven't watched most anime/manga, while I have read/watched most western stuff

it's fun
i like the animation
i like the despair-inducing writing some manga/anime have

>western sci-fi blows ass
Try watching something other than Star Wars.

japan makes the best animation these days and a lot more stuff that aint just for kids compared to the west
i like western films and literature however. don't do normal TV because it has an innate tendency to be shit since it's designed to drag on too long. i mean i liked breaking bad, but even an excellent show like that is like 40 hours total or something. i don't watch long-ass animes either usually.
only western TV i like honestly is comedy. that stuff usually works best, cos aint no joke gonna last a whole damn season
and there's no reason i don't read western comics, i just don't have any knowledge of any except capeshit, only reason i read manga is cos i get exposed to more titles by virtue of watching anime. and it feels easier to read a manga than watch its adaptation if there is one imo so i usually do that these days

i've been getting into sci-fi literature lately
read "Artemis" (same author as "The Martian"). interesting setting but shitty cringe characters.
gonna read "Revenger" by alastair reynolds next
breaking bad is actually 62 hours long
glad i watched it but i aint watching that shit again
a film it's 1-3 hours and you're done, much preferable

japanese fantasy is atrocious compared to western though
also JRR tolkien killed fantasy by perfecting it. everything since his work has just been an imitation of him. and the japs just ape the western aping of Tolkien

Anime and manga tend to have more interesting premises, settings and characters even if they aren’t developed very well.
Also I have no place to get recommendations for or discuss western stuff like I do with Yea Forums for eastern stuff.

>interesting setting but shitty cringe characters
Sums up most scifi stories.

I like it and there are parts of it I haven't explored but have context and interest to explore. die btw

probably yeah
i was reading a sci-fi short story collection from last year and it was all fuckin garbage
but 90% of everything is shit anyways, gotta wade through the garbage sometimes

and of course "the 90% of everything is shit" used to be "90% of sci-fi is shit" so it applies to sci-fi doubly so :DDD

CHAWACTERZ

Attached: 1541788019720.jpg (225x225, 8K)

where do you think we are?

I kinda did that back when I was about 16/17 years.
Now I watch anime, read manga, eroge, and sometimes read a bit of philosophy or literature.
I don't really care for live action stuff at all.

I appreciate your reference, user

No other hobby that panders as much to virgin men

Fun things are fun

It's not like I don't watch or read other stuff at all. In any case, in the 20 years I've been obsessing over anime and manga I still haven't quite figured out just why I like it so much more than anything else. At first I guess it was because it was so much different to anything else I'd seen it was fascinating, but after a while it's become what's familiar to me. There's no particular common theme between all the titles I like that I can point to. Maybe it's just that I've always liked comics and cartoons but the Japanese ones are for the most part the only ones with the approach to storytelling and characters that I like.