Legend of the Galactic Heroes

I finally watched it, and I can conclude it's overrated. People like it because it's different from other anime. It's a long space opera written by a guy that understands history and basic philosophy, which makes him a genius by anime-writer standards. I was impressed with his knowledge and how unbiased and in-depth he discussed politics, but that's not enough to carry a show. The animation is terrible, characters are mediocre, and the space-setting itself is subpar and adds nothing to the story. The person who would enjoy this most is a pseudo-intellectual who wants to feel smart by watching a Japanese cartoon. The story itself is more fitting for a book or a live-action drama and doesn't use the strengths of anime at all. People who call this the greatest anime of all-time are secretly ashamed of liking anime and wished it was more serious and mature. That or they're very boring people who like slow-paced dialogue and naval gazing over badly drawn stills.

7/10, it's okay. Dropped it around episode 60 due to boredom.

Attached: galactic heroes.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-gS1gHC5GNA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>naval gazing
This pun almost makes up for your shit thread.

Fairly solid bait, 6/10

No bait. It's an honest review.

>Dropped by Episode 60
You were on the eve of the greatest parts of the entire series.

I thought it would be overrated as fuck but ended up enjoying it a lot. Only bad part as the obviously evil earth guys.

>dropped it on episoade 60
Opinion discarded, you barely watched over half of it and its not some seasonal 13 ep bullshit so you cant get away with it faggot.
This, the church is evil meme is overdone and tired and honestly it doesnt fit with the overall moral greyness of the show, but it was the late 80s early 90s so meh...

This. The earth cult would have been much better if they were space muslims, instead of space jews

>I was impressed with his knowledge and how unbiased and in-depth he discussed politics, but that's not enough to carry a show.
Unless you are a person who is interested in politics, which seems to be not the case for you. There are plenty of other aspects which sets LOGH apart - even from western fiction. What is especially remarkable about LOGH, which I noticed again in contrast with Game of Thrones that recently ended, is that it does not lose the sense of scale. Game of Thrones turned into intimate theatre after the first few seasons, with the writers losing themselves in particularities. With LOGH that is not the case. Few works of fiction manage to capture the convolute of warfare and politics in its Clausewitzian entirety on a comparable level.

In one aspect I am willing to agree: LOGH need not be anime. There are things which only anime can do, e.g. moe does not work with 3D people. In that regard, LOGH does not use the medium to its fullest extent but rather to a functional level, but on the other hand: these elements would not fit the theme and the narrative and it's also good to have shows like this once in a while.
LOGH being a anime made for people who don't like anime is something I disagree with though. LOGH is a rather particular and nerdy show in its own niche. Normalfags would rather cling to something arty, allegorical and flashy instead of the at times quite dry LOGH.

>I was impressed with his knowledge and how unbiased and in-depth he discussed politics, but that's not enough to carry a show.
how are complex politics, great characters, mature themes and tactical yet exciting space battles not enough to carry a show?
>The animation is terrible, characters are mediocre
the animation is good when it needs to be and improves a lot in the later episodes
the characters are very interesting and well written for the most part, literally one of the strongest aspects of the show

it's obviously not flawless (most people agree that the earth cult is corny), but your arguments against it are nonsense

Attached: lotgh meyer briggs.jpg (2584x1468, 595K)

>it gets good at episode 70! I swear!

So the thing is I like books too, and I wonder if there is anything this show does that needs to be an anime? What works best in a visual medium is showing subtleties, showing instead of saying, and letting the viewer decide what to think about it. Allowing ambiguity and using visuals to tell the story. I heard it's a great war story with a lot of nuance and tons of knowledge put in, but why watch it instead of read it? Does it convey a massive sense of scale only a visual medium can or a wide variety of emotions?

>characters are mediocre
>dropped it around episode 60
>badly drawn stills
I don't have a punchline.

The use of music is pretty great, the voice-acting on most of the characters are at least above-average and while it doesn't have a ton of sakuga, being that kind of show would actively hurt the pacing. It's a slow burn.

>What works best in a visual medium is showing subtleties, showing instead of saying
I think this is a meme.

Words have a lot more range than images. Images might be more "accessible" because you don't need the literacy and imagination but they are ultimately more limited. Also, "show - don't tell" only works for simple subject matters. If you want to discuss something in a serious manner, you can't get around using dialogue. There's a reason why an academic thesis is words on paper rather than a painting or a film.
That being said: there certainly is a room for a more allegorical type of storytelling, but it is not suitable for every subject matter and every purpose.

i watched the series a few times to sort of understand the world and get to know the characters, like having it play in the bg while i do other stuff and i just think it's not a series that needs to be watched to be an anime fan
none of the philosophical stuff is eye opening or groundbreaking, maybe it just sits in the sort of accessible-level of philosophy while being balanced by a semblance of plot and stuff happening
that's probably why it was successful, it wasn't pretentious just comfy space soap

70 to 84 are genuinely the greatest parts of the entire series and tie the entire thing together.

>Dropped it around episode 60 due to boredom.
How about you take your Ritalin and finish the show before you make yourself look like an idiot.

Attached: 1513896224241.jpg (640x480, 40K)

>Dropped it around episode 60
You didn't miss anything user, the good parts were all before episode 50, the rest is cultist garbage which ruined the show
Highly overrated show

Earth church cult was interesting but executed poorly and it should have been what united the two factions together.

How many books are left before the English release is finished?

Literally made it even less more interesting

Why does /pol/ like the show so much, considering it explicitly rejects their ideals? Nationalists are all portrayed as wide-eyed screaming retards who fling their nation into War for a vague sense of glory while innocents get killed. The closest the show comes to /pol/ is that one history episode where Julian looks at Rudolf taking over a degenerate empire and implementing draconian laws to kill the disabled, and even then Rudolf is vilified by everyone in the show. Is it just because Yang shouts "What is that?" when he sees the black guy?

You praise is welcome but you can fuck off, it's a masterpiece on par with Texhnolyze

>reposting copypasta from /pol/
This is Yea Forums faggot

>Look at me, I'm so different!

Attached: 1524300443583.png (740x724, 37K)

hmm okay yea fair criticism
>Dropped it
nvm invalid

>badly drawn stills
but I like the art direction

Why don't you ask them

Bait aside, LoGH thread?

Attached: 1457677183243.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Discuss.

Attached: 1385068149458.jpg (1076x3000, 326K)

Death is its own protection.

>People who call this the greatest anime of all-time are secretly ashamed of liking anime and wished it was more serious and mature
Logh was made a decades before anime turned into soulless cashgrab. People loved it before you were born.
3/10 for making me reply to you.

>episode 60
thats plenty episodes to get a good feeling for a show
if it only gets good at the end then its a shit show

Just because something can be told in another medium doesn't mean it's not a good story. A live action show adaptation of LoGH would be awesome. It'd need a huge fuckload of a budget but it'd be great.

To those naysayers, what would you propose as a series that deserves the acclaim LoGH gets?

>p-please don't insult LOGH
>b-bait
why are they always like this?

It gets good at the beginning moron

Another proof LOGH is the show men will never understand.

Attached: 11208.jpg (640x480, 48K)

Attached: dying man gives zero fucks.png (600x4950, 3.82M)

I can confirm. I understood it when I was a boy, but the appeal was lost when I transitioned to manhood.

>mentioning /pol/ out of nowhere
I guess they do have a point with the whole rent free thing

The /pol/ack is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a terrorist, a gunman, a car-crasher, a mail-bomber, even an Australian, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a /pol/tard and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: "I've been found out."

>Australian
Fuck you too mate

idk, they probably like the charismatic, anti-democratic dictator that is blondie boy
I like this post, it is well written

Attached: logh.jpg (640x1430, 481K)

Attached: logh2.png (432x600, 319K)

Attached: logh3.jpg (1000x1512, 523K)

Shoot up any Earth Churches lately? What exactly did you mean when you shouted "Terraists Out"?

Attached: logh4.jpg (640x1440, 172K)

Attached: logh5.png (730x1160, 488K)

Its a quote from Goebbels

Attached: logh6.jpg (540x1216, 128K)

ah, so that's where I knew it from
gotta give credit where credit is due, Goebbels was a very skilled propagandist

Attached: logh7.jpg (796x994, 177K)

Well, they're pretty dumb.

Attached: logh8.jpg (1200x1137, 194K)

these are dumb but funny

Attached: 1216454513.png (680x884, 501K)

Attached: 169979146213.jpg (783x960, 101K)

[kakka intensifies]

Attached: Oberstein is happy.jpg (376x419, 52K)

christ why am i laughing so hard at this

Attached: Oberstein.gif (255x217, 26K)

I watched all 110 episodes and I can conclude that it is appropriately rated.

Attached: Yang.jpg (680x500, 41K)

I'm rewatching LotGH and this is the scene where Reinhard's boywife is assassinated, I never noticed that Oberstein steps in front of Reinhard to protect him. A real nigga

Attached: LotGHNuke.jpg (1280x2880, 514K)

You people are 2x as bad for derailing threads.
Ignore something when someone says a naughty word you reddit fucks.

Yeah

Attached: 1556643184256.png (960x700, 708K)

Wouldn't it need oxygen too?

Oberstein being secretely the most loyal and dedicated of Reinhard's followers is really amusing
such a great character

Just started, few questions
1. The Empire is basically Space Prussia but what is the Free Planets Alliance supposed to represent? The United States? Britain? Libertarian nations in general?
2. Why do some male characters look at each other longingly it looks kinda gay

I roll with the Yang gang but yes Oberstein is great youtube.com/watch?v=-gS1gHC5GNA

>The story itself is more fitting for a book
Boy do I have news for you.
Vol. 9 comes out in July, Vol. 10 in November.

Attached: culture.png (633x902, 743K)

Attached: high_level_discussion.jpg (467x700, 95K)

They're not meant to present historical nations, only mimic their aesthetic. On the face of it the Empire has the aesthetic of a Space Prussia, but its just meant to represent a decaying autocratic nation where the ruler has absolute power. Think of early 1900s Tsarist Russia under Nicky II. The Free Planets alliance is meant to represent the horrible aspects of democracy taken to its extreme, rampant inefficiency, corruption, nepotism, and an easily swayed populace being sucked into the propaganda of politicians.
It's not Space Prussia v Space France, it's more Autocracy vs Democracy.

>Why do some male characters look at each other longingly
Nothing gay with giving your best friend a brojob and sloppy goodnight kiss, while brushing his curly red hair after a hard-fought battle against the FPA.

Attached: 342242.gif (346x428, 741K)

>Nothing gay with giving your best friend a brojob and sloppy goodnight kiss, while brushing his curly red hair after a hard-fought battle against the FPA.
Homo detected

So how come Yang will living with a 15 year old boy? Why did nobody find that weird?

Who would tought right? It's not like almost every popular anime is pure garbage, how can this be?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Oberstein. His schemes are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of political theory most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Oberstein's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Machiavelli, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these schemes, to realise that they're not just succesful- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Oberstein truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Oberstein's existential catchphrase "Dogs eat dog food," which itself is a cryptic reference to Pavlovs experiments. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Oberstein's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have an Oberstein tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the Keiser's eyes only- and even then he has to demonstrate that he's within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

I thought Julian was his mom at first
His voice sounded like a woman's, his hair was a bit long, and he wore an apron

Attached: W5o8oK3.jpg (1440x1080, 83K)

At first I thought he was Yang's masculine-looking daughter. But no, it was actually his personal adopted boipussy.

Don't worry, they'll fix it and he'll be a tomboy in the live action remake.

This post is as bad as logh reddit boy. I kindly suggest you delete this absolute cringefest thread.

>implying he won't be a tranny
>implying Reinhard won't be a nigger

The Empire will remain completely white and male, that's how we know that they're the bad guys.

>This post is as bad as logh
>if the post is bad, then the show is good
>but if the show is good, the post is only as bad as the show, so it is good as well
>but if the post is good, that means the show is bad (...)

Attached: lotgh panic.jpg (960x720, 147K)

Reinhard is shown in a sympathetic light so either they'll make him a nigger or an absolute villain if he's still blond

I don't know what kind of logic they teached you in school.

It's just a TV show, my dude, calm down. Right now black people are living in your head rent free.

I don't think LoGH ever aired on TV. It was an OVA.

Does anyone else have a keen desire to see a genderswapped Oberstein?

Or is it just me?

it's you opinion user, but I think you have been misled by yourself, you've started it with the preconception that it is OR but it isn't at the end of a proper watch.

It aired on TV eventually. And the reboot aired on TV too.

>tfw yang wenli

brb semi-circles

Your mama's overrated concidering how many people railed her.

it would be fucking awful, if the Japanese made it it would be low budget with terrible actors and Japanese dudes trying to play blond haired Europeans

An American adaptation would be even worse and filled with of all their disgusting identity politics

>A 100+ episode OVA
Excuse me?

Yes. It was an OVA. How do you not know that?

>Legend of the Galactic Heroes (銀河英雄伝説 Ginga Eiyū Densetsu), also known by the (ungrammatical) German title Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel, which is written on the official logo, sometimes abbreviated as LOTGH. This is the main series. It is the second and longest-running animated adaptation of Yoshiki's series of novels. It was released in direct home video installments during four separate periods between December 1988 and March 1997. The OVA comprises 110 episodes, which together total more than 2800 minutes of animation. It was later shown on television and has seen multiple releases on both DVD and Blu-ray formats.

I guess I was wrong though and it did air on TV at some point.

>Rheinhart and Kircheis sex scene in the first episode
>Julian is a sassy black girl
>Schenkoff and Ruenthal are constantly called on for their toxic masculinity
>Mittermeyer is gay and/or female and has sexual tension with Ruenthal
>the Empire is depicted as straight up fascists because white and German equals Nazi
>Trunicht becomes even more Trump-like than he already is
>Frederica becomes an ardent feminist who refuses to do anything domestic

What am I missing?

It was the eighties. Everything was bigger back then. You'd go to a studio and say "I have a pitch for an 11-episode OVA" and they'd blow cigar smoke in your face and tell you to "fuck off, and don't come back until you have a pitch for 110 episodes!"

It was a different time, very bigly.