Why did a majority of the anime industry switch from targeting a more mainstream or kid audience to targeting socially...

Why did a majority of the anime industry switch from targeting a more mainstream or kid audience to targeting socially awkward otaku in their 20's and up? Did interest in anime in the general public die down so they fallowed the money to a more niche audience? Or was it something else?

Attached: q78v3qzlcwqx.jpg (854x758, 109K)

More importantly, why is there so little contrast?

You realize that Macross Frontier is one of the best selling anime of all time, right? So please don't talk about how studios are targeting awkward otaku, when some of their shows still sell extremely well.

>kid audience
>any of those shows on the left
Just no

Because Japan's population is old as fuck. Anime is for children in Japan. There are not many kids there so creators started to make anime for creepy manchildren.

All anime are targeted at kids, let's dont kid ourselves

I hate it. At least we still have Sunrise.

>At least we still have Sunrise
user, I...

Attached: anime studios.jpg (852x2269, 496K)

>Left, anime for kids.
>Right, anime for adults.
Prove me wrong.

You chose the wrong example. The contrast is fine in that shot.

I can't understand the switch to pop colors. They just look cheap

>Why did a majority of the anime industry switch from targeting a more mainstream or kid audience to targeting socially awkward otaku in their 20's and up?

Attached: BlHeP67.jpg (1365x1586, 276K)

I have to agree with you, but the shift in tone and the oversaturation that's so common in modern anime, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Post examples of oversaturation.

good animation but the oversaturation killed the fun for me

Attached: a55bd81d7349788a0bb9ec3914a69b09.png (1600x900, 1.48M)

Otakus buy more crap and need low effort waifubait anime only to keep them happy.

This looks fine. Now have a look at this.

Attached: hand-shakers-9.png (600x315, 103K)

I can feel him

As broadcast ad revenue and direct to video animation's profits kept dwindling, it turned out, kids don't buy blu-rays while otaku do.

kids buy a lot more now than 50 years ago

Redline is perhaps the worst example for the argument you're making, and I say this as someone who shares your position.

"Otaku" are largely a myth.

Anime has never been for children in Japan. There's always been anime for all ages. Manchildren do not exist and as such no anime is being made for them.

This is a support studio that doesn't make anything. At the time this documentary was shot, other studios were making all kinds of things e.g. Tatami Galaxy. There is no "we," there is only him, because he is only speaking on his own behalf. I am sick of this fucking garbage getting posted again and again.

Waifubait does not exist.

No they don't

>I hate fun

>otaku is a myth
>anime has never been for children in japan
>that studio doesn't count because I say so
>waifubait does not exit
YOU are a fucking retard. Anime was exclusively for children until the 1980s and during that time only became for older audiences in the niche OVA market which was during the popularization of the otaku fandom market thanks to tons of fanzines and radio shows. That studio head is describing the situation perfectly. Animation is an advertisement for mechandising and while it has always been this way, it's even more than ever as can be seen in pic related. And final-fucking-ly, waifubait is very much real and is a driving factor of the objectively character merchandise focus of modern anime because, as everyone knows, waifus sell. YOU are a fucking retard.

Attached: AJA.png (1437x467, 172K)

didn't read the OP but shugo chara is based af

Otaku-bait anime has been a thing since the 90s
Just look at Gainax’s entire output

>YOU are a fucking retard.
Stating facts doesn't make someone a retard.

>Anime was exclusively for children until the 1980s and during that time only became for older audiences in the niche OVA market which was during the popularization of the otaku fandom market thanks to tons of fanzines and radio shows.
It wasn't exclusively for children. A show like Rose of Versailles or Star of the Giants wasn't for children. Even anime that's really aimed at children isn't necessarily children's entertainment in the way that children's entertainment is understood in the West. The audience is broader.

>That studio head is describing the situation perfectly.
Except a) his studio is a support studio, b) other studios were making the kind of anime he wanted to see, c) he was speaking on his own behalf.

>waifubait is very much real
A waifu is a character you're married to. It's an entirely personal thing decided by the viewer, not something that can be handed down to the viewer by the anime. Westerners call things bait whenever they don't like them, regardless of the creators' own feelings.

Gainax was a studio built by otaku. You are only calling their anime bait because you don't like it.

>socially awkward otaku
you mean people with a brain?

>Stating facts
You have never done this.
>A show like Rose of Versailles or Star of the Giants wasn't for children.
Yes, they were. They are shoujo and shounen, respectively.
>Even anime that's really aimed at children isn't necessarily children's entertainment in the way that children's entertainment is understood in the West.
Fuck off, weeb. Western entertainment does the same thing.
>Except
Except you have absolutely nothing but your shitposting. I've posted fact and fact, with actual proof.
>A waifu is a character you're married to
Just kill yourself. You can @ me again, but no one is going to buy your blatant bullshit. This is over. Dismissed.

>witch from targeting a more mainstream or kid audience to targeting socially awkward otaku in their 20's and up
People tend to grow up. Did you know that?

>You have never done this.
See >Yes, they were. They are shoujo and shounen, respectively.
Shoujo and shounen do not mean children. They extend to the late teens and are read/watched by many adults.

>Fuck off, weeb.
Provide a correct definition of weeb and then prove that I am one.

>Western entertainment does the same thing.
The West, or rather America, has a very specific idea of what children's animation is. Anime does not fit that idea.

>Except you have absolutely nothing but your shitposting.
Show me where I've shitposted.

>I've posted fact and fact, with actual proof.
What fact did you post and what proof did you provide?

>Just kill yourself. You can @ me again, but no one is going to buy your blatant bullshit. This is over. Dismissed.
Why should I kill myself for stating what a waifu is?

When they realized that fun things are fun.

Because you're cherrypicking their most accomplished big-budget movies/OVAs and comparing them to their seasonal shows with more modest budgets that aim to break even.

You are retarded. You cherry picked one way, but you could cherry pick any other way too.

Looks like those digital apologists who were saying that seasonal tv anime has caught up with old OVAs and movies were wrong after all.

Nothing airing at late-night is aimed at kids.

It's hilarious because KyoAni of all things is now trying to do the exact opposite.

Good quality thread.

Attached: D4uy7PZUEAIVA2-.jpg (370x320, 26K)

Oh yes, I'd love for my 5 year old to watch/read Dororo. Or Berserk.

What about television or movies? One of the first full-length feature films period was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves by Disney.

Meanwhile things like HBO's Spawn exist.

It is the fate of all who watch anime to devolve into CGDCT-loving otaku, it's just a matter of time

>Dororo 2019
>Berserk anime
>Spawn cartoon
>pre-1980s
Retard