Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Just finished the manga last night. Found out this morning the 35th anniversary is this year and my theaters are having showings this week for the film. Talk about perfect timing. So please discuss this masterpiece and maybe air some petty gripes.

Attached: 6654534324.jpg (1054x743, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dSd93dQL6b8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The manga is truly amazing, I don't regret buying the boxset years ago

What are the odds, I finished the manga a couple of weeks ago, wasn't aware that there's an anniversary. Loved it, wish I actually bought it instead of reading a shitty scan.

Attached: 068.png (322x192, 17K)

Yeah I plan on buying that 2 book boxset, that's the one you got right?
>pic related

Sadly the version I read was the og viz media flipped one too. So when I started reading it I was so confused until I realized it was left to right. It's been a while since I've read an older released manga and the English viz flips are raunchy in the older releases.

Have to say the ending was my only real issue. but it was purely me being selfish and just wanting more of this world and characters. maybe 3 more chapters of just pure epilogue would have made people feel nice, but I can understand it would have weakened the ending.

Attached: 56432545.jpg (421x500, 44K)

Yeah the ending seemed rushed and I'm pretty sure like 50% went way over my head, but I'm planning to re-read it one day, hopefully in better quality

different user here but i have that boxset. it's worth the $$$ as long as it's around 50 bucks or less. i think i paid 35-40 bucks some years ago which was a good deal at that time.

Without a doubt I plan too.
When I looked up about more things, I read a passing comment on tvtrope about how the seven days of fire were caused by the scientists because they realized the nuclear fallout would stop the global warming that was about to happen. Yet nowhere in my version at least did the crypt master explicitly say that. he only said that the insects and forest were all man made. And mention how it was during the seven days of fire the whole plan to regrow the earth was set in motion. So I just kept assuming that it was the god warriors stopping the wars, but guess not.
Probably just lost in translation, because there were moments of weirdly worded sentences.

$46 right now on amazon. Do they read comfortable?

I don't recall that bit either

Attached: 9abdb629a8bd95e4b3e1238576e1d7d7.jpg (800x1000, 679K)

I like the movie ebtter, because it has a happy ending and the music was great
Sue me.

Attached: 1461564380566.png (328x404, 73K)

I see no fault in your logic

Attached: Kiwi Thums.jpg (238x211, 12K)

Didn't really think much of the soundtrack, later Ghibli movies have better OSTs. I mean it's alright but

>youtube.com/watch?v=dSd93dQL6b8
My favorite Ghibli track

To be fair all music by Joe Hisaishi is god tier

actually i like both almost equally boy this is a masterclass about how to made a adaptation the core of the experience, the themes and the characters are the same (mostly) both in the movie and the manga, thay are faitfful to the source but is not an animated manga either not only miyazaki makes some changes to make the story work but he succesfully turn the mid of the manga into the end of the movie and it doesnt feel forced at all that way if you try to read the manga after the manga you are not going to only see the movie version of the manga but laso realize that there are a lot of Nausica that you havent enjoyed yet. Its genius no matter what you watch first there is always more content.Also yeah the end f the manga was kinda weak Nausica killing the uberhuman embryos at the end was out of character.
Yeah ghibli soundtracks really git gud when they abandon the syntetizers

>uberhuman embryos at the end was out of character
ehh, She has killed before she just does not like to and avoids it when she can. She knew it was a great sin but she did it because she realized that the plan the ancients set in motion was allowing for these petty wars to take place. By drip feeding the knowledge of the crypt and helping to progress the forest at a faster rate. The generations after the seven days of fire were meant to be used as mere cannon fodder to help the crypt master until the forest was done. Then the eggs he had would have replaced the polluted humans and these normal humans would have all the keys to the kingdom to redo what the ancients fucked up. Nausicaa tried to explain this to the crypt master that human folly is not something that a purified world can get rid of. Humans will always err it is our nature. So wanting to avoid humans literally going right back to where they started, having all the technologies preserved and at their disposal, with a nice clean new planet to conquer. So her only option was to stop the foolish plan allow humans to either evolve and survive or die and become extinct. Hence why she says "Life is the light that shines in the darkness." She loves all life, she just realizes that the ancients plan was self-serving and had to make the tough decision to kill innocent embryos. She never once said it was right, just the only way to stop the cycle.

This is pure speculation what follows next, but maybe the crypt master was truly doing wrong forcing the forest to grow as fast as possible. Now the humans may have a chance to slowly become accumulated to the air, if the planet slowly changes rather than drastically in a thousand years. So again it all comes down to just humans doing human things and trying to shape and bend everything to their will. now all the technology is gone, and with Nausicaa setting a foundation maybe there is hope.

Yeah, but in the end all the psychic stuff got a bit too much for my taste.

Oh believe me that actually does irk me. miyazaki never really went into detail about it. and I swear to god when Selm the forest dude told Yupa that the blue clad one had helped his people in the past already. Yupa basically had the thought of his this person a legend jsut always living on, or is it a real person that can jump to people in need throughout time and space. I was reading thinking holy shit are they gonna give us physic time warping stuff to have Nausicaa the the origin of her own prophecy, telling them shell be in the future to help.

Never thought I would see a thread like this on Yea Forums. I guess sometimes we can have nice things. I might go a read over some of the books while listening to the movie ots for a bit

Attached: IMG_20190518_231056-1612x1209.jpg (1612x1209, 608K)

I think they’re good companion pieces. The movie is one of the most gorgeous animated things out there, and you’re right the soundtrack is top notch: one of Hisaishi’s best despite what says.
It’s a great adaptation of the early chapters, but the manga really does feel like a full, epic saga. The most interesting parts for me are all from chapters after the events of the film.

That sounds like a solid plan. If you're a tea drinker, a nice cup of earl grey will hit the spot.

Are those art books?
Nice poster too Ive been searching for one with nausicaa and the boxset poster is nice but she's looked cooler. Found this one that is nice, but an actual movie poster would be better maybe?

Attached: il_fullxfull.1513361458_1fds.jpg (624x613, 102K)

Even after recently breaking 600 manga read this one is still my favorite. I have no gripes, what a fucking masterwork. I can only say I am upset because Miyazaki never went on to create anything as great.

Attached: 1550149747059.jpg (631x900, 272K)

they are the OTS on vinyl. I think I got them from discdog a while ago. I was living in Japan at the time and the seller was also in Japan so I figured that they would be able to get to me without getting messed up. They sound great the only problem is setting up my record player is a lot of work since I don't have an automatic one.

Semi related, I got the Castle in the Sky artbook. The old man's quoted in there saying he imagined the pirate's copters were run by repeatedly shocking muscles harvested from frogs.

Also they suspected him of being a lolicon from very early on. They found his sequence for the female lead getting out of bed to be salacious and accused him of wanting to peak under her skirt.

Yeah that one, is a really nice edition
Depends on what you mean comfortably. The quality is great, but you need to be sitting while reading it because of how big the hard cover volumes are (I say this because I usually read manga laying in bed)

superb manga

>I say this because I usually read manga laying in bed
A man after my own heart.

This seems the best option for price and quality. Only thing I'm on the fence about is the sfx not being translated. I had fun making the plane noises in my head.

Attached: I'll Keep Quiet.png (1215x1377, 1.01M)

And anime

just listen to the OST while reading the manga.

>Also yeah the end f the manga was kinda weak Nausica killing the uberhuman embryos at the end was out of character.
It's not out of character for an evil witch to end the human race.