Brainlet here

Should I even try to understand evangelion?

I recently finished watching all the episodes and The End of Evangelion.
I have never felt so depressed and confused by anything else in my entire life.

Attached: evangelion_1.png (1024x682, 1.23M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y6o0xg8tla8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A lot of shit in Evangelion isn't explained in the show, only in outside material and interviews and such, so no individual can fully analyze everything that's going on by merely watching the anime and EoE once.
You should go read the Wiki.
Watching all this is just earning your Wiki-reading credentials.
>inb4 pseuds start to disagree

>the show doesn't explain shit
retard
Take a notebook treat it as a puzzle the final message is actually really positive.

learn2read brainlet

If they didn't explain in the show then is not worth knowing, leaving some unsolved mystery is a great way to increase immersion.

Get smarter.

Attached: 1557587585804.jpg (724x702, 188K)

No.
99.9% of it is just stupid random bullshit happening and sadistic faggotry.

Just watch it digest it look down on it as if it was retarded oscar bait nonsense then move on with your life.
Trying to take anything from it will ruin you.

Relax, and maybe the next time you're alone for a few hours, pour over in your head and contemplate what you saw. Maybe watch the second half of End of Evangelion again, because the symbolism gets pretty fast and dense, and you might have missed something.

oh and. . .
Congratulations

Attached: congratulations-shinji-3836213.png (500x352, 117K)

Heh, that Chaves reference...
Are you brazilian?

I do not disagree, but there's nothing wrong with wanting a mystery lifted either, or wishing to understand the symbolism or whatever (although that really isn't very important in this case).
I think this "complexity" in Eva.. the unexplained or unsaid things.. play a big role in its appeal and popularity.
It gave people food for thought and things to talk about.
No reason to talk about a show that left no questions unanswered.

>should i even try to understand evangelion?
Yes, furstly try mulling over what the actual physical plot was. Then think of the main characters and what their arc was about, lastly try and match those arcs with the events to see how one affected the other. If that doesnt help theres a great 2 part video on YouTube called “a cruel weebs thesis” which i highly recommend since imo it hits the nail on the head

Nope. Found it on google images and it seemed so weird that I decided to save it.

First time finished the whole thing I felt nauseous

I felt like the ending was just a huge middle finger to the audience. Everyone dying out of nowhere even though the enemies were all defeated.

"really positive" is an overstatement
bittersweet is better

It was harsh before EoE.
Not like EoE made it less harsh, but it made it seem less lolrandom.

>A lot of shit in Evangelion isn't explained in the show
such as?

What happened to the other alien civilizations? Did they survive?

I honestly don't remember in detail because it's been many years since I last watched it, but there are many little details at least, or what is explained is rather vague or inconclusive.
There can be no doubt Anno provided some additional information outside of the show and movie (whether a lot of that is essential to know is up to people to decide for themselves); and you can't blame viewers for not getting all the symbolism without looking up Kabbalah or other religious stuff.
There's questions without a conclusive answer, too; like what's up with Unit-00 and Reis soul?
Not hard to speculate about however.

It's all part of the appeal in the end.

The whole precusor race isnt even mentioned in the anime, thats info from the manga. And no its not bc it literally irrelevant to the show or else they would have to explain shit like why misato only drinks one brand of beer-it doesnt matter at all

We definitely don't have to go that far to find incertitude.
>where Adam/Lilith come from??? DD:

I cant say for sure but im confident the manga tells us at least that they’re basically guardians of the seeds of life distributed by the aliens.

But the Anime didn't explain shit

About the origins of adam/Lillith it doesnt have to. Tbh manga shouldve left it as a mystery too

I think the seed of life aspect is touched upon in the show, too, and that they are aliens, but not their origin. Not quite sure into how much detail they go on First Impact.
Their origin is a mystery however - one we don't really need an explanation for.

>Not quite sure into how much detail they go on First Impact.
Second Impact is only called as such as a cover up story as the public was told a meteor did it.
First Impact would just refer to the real life meteorite/planetoid that crashed into Earth and formed the Moon.

All that matters is the message. Not what food Shinji are in his foster home years

Sort of.
The First Impact "meteorites" were the Black Moon and/or White Moon.
This sets precedence for calling further seed-of-life stuff "Impacts", but obviously the meteorite story for Second Impact is a ruse;
in truth it was the result of reactivating Adam? Or a Lilim touching him or whatever.
Third Impact is a fusion of both seeds maybe? I can't be bothered to read it up.
>muh instrumentality

Ate*

I really like this evangelion video youtube.com/watch?v=y6o0xg8tla8

>I have never felt so depressed and confused by anything else in my entire life.
then you got a good chunk out of it, the rest is your choice if you want to read or debate different meanings about the story.

Eva is the kind of show where how much you go into the lore and symbolism is directly proportional to how shallow your understanding is.

you must be a genius to realize people don't learn what they already know

No, because when you do understand you see what a load of shit the whole thing is. Try to enjoy watching it as a dumb mecha show we faggots complaining all the time.

>we

Attached: 1448494603388.jpg (256x358, 23K)

>furstly

The main take-away from Eva is it doesn't matter how nice you try to be like Shinji and try to satisfy everyone, you're going to be hated by everyone unless you have an outgoing personality and can get shit done and aren't boring. EoE also tells you to try to go out and do something with your life instead of being a worthless otaku

Attached: 1487583111779.jpg (1280x1847, 275K)

Namaste.

>Should I even try to understand evangelion?
No don't bother.
If it really struck a cord with you then you can actually have fun reading Freud, Nietzsche, and Sorengaard. But honestly that's a lot of work for very little reward.

Just remember; that it's ok to be you.
Don't get too worked up about anime,
You can learn to play a musical instrument,
When you hurt others you hurt yourself,
You may be some random user I've never met but I see your soul,
And you are not alone.

Ps if you're really into eva then learn about aum shinriyko and the red earth ceremony but don't actually start killing people.

no offense user but its not that deep at all.
Its simply a story of a kid who has the hedgehog dilemma and how he gets over it only to relapse.
The more interesting part of the story and is the giant monsters called angels trying to become god.

ok here is the deal, There is the FAR firs ancestral race, they created the seeds of life and knowledge. They sent these seeds to the far reaches of the universe. No two seeds are allowed to be on one planet. Except a cosmic accident happened and when the seed of life, Adam, was already on earth the seed of knowledge (lillith) crash landed on earth creating the first impact. Each seed has its own Lance of Loginus spear, Lilliths was destroyed in the crash. So adams activated and put adam to sleep. The spear is a fail safe. So lillith created life then on.

I think it's meant to be profound with many different meanings and interpretations tied in together in a less than concrete fashion.

From my own experiences making it music, it's entirely possible for elements of art to have dual meanings. For example I've written lines which have one meaning, but they could also be interpreted as meaning something completely different, and I like both meanings and want them both to be conveyed in my song. Sometimes the extra meanings weren't even originally intended, and only discovered upon review, but then I go "Yeah I like that meaning too" and that my influence future lines.

Now when you consider the amount of lines in a song, or rather scenes in an anime, it's easy to understand how many different meanings can be tied into one project and how many different directions that may take. You might also understand how hard it would be to keep to a congruent single "theme" with all these different ideas, concepts and meaning swirling around.

I think that may be somewhat the case with Evangelion, for instance I think the whole "man within the mecha suit" may be allegorical to the soul within the human body and how these kids are learning to use their newly pubescent bodies and "sync" with them through meditation. -but I certainly wouldn't say that's the message of the entire series, just one of the possible intended meanings of one of the many elements within the whole.

from there billion years pass and mankind discovers the dead sea scrolls, there were the publicized scrolls and the secret ones. The secret ones told the people who formed Seele about adam and lillith and the angels.
Seele discovers that humanity has reached its peak can cant evolve further. So they devise a plan to take humanity and the body of adam and lilith and combine them to become God.
The whole story of nerv and shinji and 01, rei, was a plan devised by Gendo and Seele to take all of humanities souls and combine them into one with Seele in control.

well you are close. Thing is there is a soul with in 01 already. You think its duality when actually its a trinity.
Shinji is the mind that controls 01.
Shinji's mother is the soul that acts as a medium between Shinji and 01.
And 01 acts as the body for Shinji and his Mother.

just use your brain
why is the womb a recurring motiff? why are violence and sexuality linked? what do characters literally look into the camera and explain?

Now the Deal with the evas. The evas were just a tool to kill the angels, except 01, they could not perform human instrumentality while any of the angels fortold in the deadsea scrolls were alive.
Unit 01 was made for the soul purpose to be the Ark that aids in human instrumentality.

>is it doesn't matter how nice you try to be like Shinji
but Shinji isn't even a nice guy. He's selfish, self-absorbed and cowardly.

>bittersweet is better
The circumstances are bitter, I suppose. But the overall outlook going forward always seemed rather positive to me. EoE muddies it up a little by being so plot-centric, but I think the warm sincerity of the TV ending manages to persist.

bittersweet is more like having the mc sacrifice themselves for a happy ending. Like most anime.