Why do you think Dragon Ball Z became so popular in the west?

Why do you think Dragon Ball Z became so popular in the west?

Attached: OBkPfZ7.jpg (1194x1024, 217K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cCMJyaQPoZc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was actually good.

DAILY DOSE

Unique art style, fun action, filler that’s actually good

It pretty much blew the fuck out of all other action shows airing in the west at the time. This kind of violence was unheard of in a western show. GI Joe, He-man , and Thundercats were cool but there's always that level of safeness. In DBZ, people were beating the fuck out of each other with their bare hands, along with energy attacks.

Someone compared it with WWF.

This. I remember thats exactly what I loved watching it the first time as a kid. That and the fact the quality and style of animation was something I had never seen before.

Violence, plain and simple.

They tried pushing DB on the west from the beginning and by mutliple dub companies, but that never picked up. Then they drop Z which is essentially starting at the 30% point of the whole story and people at that shit up. It had all kinds of violence that you would very rarely see in shows like Samurai Jack, but it was much more brutish and direct with it. Combine that with superpowers like lasers and flying and that shit just blew kids' minds. On top of that most western kid shows are episodic to make them more appealing to casual watchers, but Z like most anime builds on the same narrative which kept them coming back each week.

Also whether you like it or not the localized rock/techno OST played a big part in its western appeal at the time, Funimation knew what they were doing when they replaced the very minimalistic kung-fu inspired music.

When you break it down, it's fucking shit.

So much "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Soul

Attached: Soul.webm (400x300, 2.94M)

I mean it's best periods WAS in the 90s and early 2000s yes and both are now shambles corpses of their former selves run by senile old men who don't understand how to get talent over anymore.

Great art, cool story, and let's be honest, who WOULDN'T want to be a super saiyan in real life?

Attached: ssj goku.png (250x409, 182K)

Tfw Super will never be this good
what's even the point anymore?

Attached: 1523692494838.jpg (1273x876, 324K)

I would argue the last part of DBS had some really good fights.

Attached: 1521401377272.png (1632x1376, 3.36M)

DB/DBZ had charming characters, cool fights, and literally nothing of your typical faggotry you see in your common anime uguu kawaii waifushit.
That's what make it so popular, bc is beyond you disgusting weeb fucks.

>Funimation knew what they were doing

Yes, because surely Dragon Ball isn't as popular in Europe or Japan as in America. SURELY.

Dubshit is the only one that tried they edgy shit and it ended up with Faulconer getting the boot right after Z ended, forever.

it was alright action but it was completely soulless and mostly cgi, plus it suffered from the single most boring "villain" Dragonball has ever had. Even Hit had more personality than Jiren.

I've heard about people who got fucked up from seeing Cell drinking the fat guy
youtube.com/watch?v=cCMJyaQPoZc

>I would argue the last part of DBS had some really good fights
But you have to slog through so much shit, like some of the ugliest looking shit ever produced by Toei to see them in context. It's not worth it.

guess you didn't see the cell saga then

I don't know about the US, but Dragon Ball (the original) was pretty popular in Europe, although it didn't come out in my country until 1999 (lol)

Attached: 90d.gif (329x302, 6K)

Spics

>WANNA WATCH ME DRINK THIS GUY?!?!

I remember this got censored in my country when it first aired.

As someone who lived through it's beginnings. It was new and edgy animation for young teens. It was the right time to hit the right demographic. Having a continued story line with memorable characters. Had action, and adventure. Was quite literally nothing else like it at the time. It was literally the hype.

thanks for the dose and the trips doc

Why did Piccolo just stand there and watch?

Thanks doc

There were some good looking moments, but any fight considered good in Super was all style and no substance.

I'm guessing he wanted to see what it does and how it works so he can avoid it. It's not like the guy wasn't brought back with the Dragonballs anyway.