Is there a good starting anime for Gundam? Preferably one that doesn't require prior knowledge or is too old

Is there a good starting anime for Gundam? Preferably one that doesn't require prior knowledge or is too old

Attached: gundam-1100614-1280x0.jpg (1280x704, 71K)

Episode 1 of Mobile Suit Gundam
>or is too old

Attached: 1458466136464.jpg (446x598, 75K)

0079 you fucking troglodyte

>IBO
>Seed
>Wing
> play srw instead lol

yeah start with the original series, it's good despite being dated

Otherwise just watch any show that has its own continuity

If you don't want to watch the old stuff, don't bother. Nothing else is as good as it is, you're just wasting your time at that point.

The animation quality is terrible by modern standards, though. They haven't aged well.

Attached: 0079.png (720x540, 541K)

So? Suck it up, princess.

I'm pretty sure the animation is the same as it was when it was broadcast, and people didn't seem to mind it then - in fact the show was surprisingly quite successful. Animation doesn't age.

it didn't age well but it's the essence of what gundam is about and also allows you to understand other anime that came later

>I want to get into Gundam!
>But Gundam is too old for me!

Attached: 57fa85f8c1871.jpg (415x479, 15K)

stylistic preferences and image quality DO change, as well as the technology employed

also the animation of 70s TV anime in general is kind of lackluster, it becomes more solid in the 80s

>Or is too old
You're really shooting yourself in the foot here you know right? The original is the best place to start. You can always watch the Movies which basically contains all the essential Gundam defining moments.

Past that you're pretty fucked. What most people think of as Gundam is contained in the old shit which builds a basis on the original. All those AU's or complete and utter garbage like Unicorn you're probably eyefucking thinking they'd be a good start are really only Gundam in name and could really stand on their own without even brandishing it.

Except SEED
SEED is shit. It was supposed to be a modern remake of the original for people like (You) but it was mired in drama and just trash with a capital T

Attached: SEED.jpg (800x1071, 237K)

Who cares when the direction, characters and plot are so damn good. It's definitely old but it's also incredibly fresh. Except episode 15, fuck episode 15, Tomino agreed.

Are you saying the animation of 0079 is comparable to IBO or 00?
Please, let's not kid ourselves. People watch Gundam for the fights and cool mecha. Animation plays a huge role in portraying both.

>IBO
>animation

>People watch Gundam for the fights and cool mecha

Attached: wow cool robot.jpg (800x450, 30K)

Isn't 00 the start?
Assuming they are all in the same universe Gundams are unveiled in 00.
That said I doubt you'd be able to back to the eye cancer after this one. You'd be skipping to Thunderbolt or Iron Blooded Orphans which iirc are centuries apart.

I love it

Why not be a faggot like me, never watch gundam, and only build the model kits because they're fun to do?

>implying they're not a HUGE part of the series
Better than animation from 40 years ago desu

the one you just posted 00

Technically any of the ones that aren't direct sequels ala seed/destiny

>or is too old
Fucking kids today.

Then just don't bother. Gundam has nothing to offer someone like you. At best maybe you could watch G or Wing or something.

Here OP

Attached: GundamWO.png (1616x1152, 358K)

0079 is the best place to start. I understand if you don't want to jump into a bunch of episodes of (not the greatest) 70s animation though so:

Watch other non-gundam stuff until your interest in gundam stuff has become pent up enough that you _are_ willing to do so.

>animation from 40 years ago

Was full of great stuff you retard.

just watch the original, Char's counterattack and Turn A and then stop
the rest is garbage

At least watch the recap movies i

ITT: boomers
OP, 00 and Unicorn are pretty good if you’ve been spoiled by modern animation like I have. The only 90s series that’s worth watching is 08th MS Team where the older style actually improves the gritty feeling.

Please stop pretending to be a fan. No one recommends Unicorn as a first watch

It’s better than some ancient literal boomer shit. Seriously who watches anime made before 1995 these days?

Anyone with actual taste

Kill yourself faggot

Turn A is from the 90s and is great.

I hear it's pretty different from the other Gundams so it won't give a correct impression of the franchise, but it's absolutely worth watching and can be seen without any former knowledge.

why don't people like origin?

Nigger just off yourself

>or is too old

Attached: damegami - 0045.png (435x324, 162K)

08th MS team is a good starting point

>Is there a good starting anime for Gundam?
Yeah, you start with Votoms.

unironically Gundam Seed

You haven't aged well. In fact, you never aged at all you dumb infant.

Attached: brain dead.png (1280x720, 942K)

a lot of oldfags are in denial. like if you were to put the three stooges on tv today it would crash and burn

Stay away from mainline series. Try 00

Fuck off 79 is timeless. You’re just a dumb casual.

that resolution isn't timeless and what does it even matter they do the same shit in origin and unicorn

Its animation aged like milk. Literally hurts my eyes just watching clips on YT.

Holy fuck why do people like this exist?
You cannot just ask to GET INTO a franchise and then cite your autism as reason to opting out of the most beloved/iconic series of the franchise itself.
So fucking retarded, I cannot comprehend how you morons even function. Just stick to your seasonal anime, there’s no reason for you to get into Gundam if you’re not starting with the classic i.e the best the franchise has to offer.

>the most beloved/iconic series of the franchise itself
Wing?

Just shut the fuck up

You can't even explain why the original is so amazing. Why the fuck would you watch a mech show without good fights?

>You cannot just ask to GET INTO a franchise and then cite your autism as reason to opting out of the most beloved/iconic series of the franchise itself.
>when origin and unicorn exists
>no you have to watch terrible resolution
not even op but ok

hot girls and even hotter mechas

start at the first in release order

Nobody has time for that user. Not to mention having to sit through that animation.
It’s not the best the franchise has to offer. It’s aged like shit and there’s a reason they made Origin

>to watch terrible resolution
literally what does that even mean? 0079 has been remastered for bluray already, what the fuck more do you want?
>It’s not the best the franchise has to offer
yes it absolutely fucking is, everything after 79 is objectively downhill in terms of cohesive storytelling and compelling war narrative.
Gundam peaked with 79 because it was NEVER supposed to be franchised in the first place, all of what makes Gundam great is concentrated within it.
>there’s a reason they made Origin
Yeah, there is a reason, it's a fucking cashgrab obviously. are you literally new to sunrise/bandai?

Attached: 11.png (437x329, 287K)

just watch the movie trilogy if you're being too much of a faggot, the animation is fine.

Attached: 1554264145259.webm (854x394, 2.77M)

absolute kino storyboarding, tomino is a god.
>just watch the movie trilogy
no.

Attached: 1536272994420.jpg (480x460, 55K)

>0079 looks like shi--
Oh boy here we go again.

Attached: 0079_grid.jpg (2880x4320, 1.5M)

I've been trucking through Gundam for a few months (I'm on 0083 right now) and I strongly disagree with you on all points about 0079. That show was bad and if I was any less autistic I probably wouldn't have even bothered with continuing on to Zeta. Every character in 0079 was aggressively retarded, the three kids were extremely annoying, and the plot was questionable at best. They spent like the first dozen episodes hyping up the Gundam's advanced learning AI, talking repeatedly about how the Gundam is learning with each battle Amurp fights, and even having that once scene of Amuro putting in data after a fight to come up with new simulations, and then they just never mention it again. This becomes doubly retarded when in the last 15 or so episodes they suddenly drop newtypes on you and just go LOL JK it wasn't the Gundam's advanced technology, everything was just because Amuro is a magic psychic space wizard boy.

The only Gundam that I've watched so far that had good writing or plot was War in the Pocket. 0083 seems okay too, but I'm not finished with it yet.

origin looks prettier.

agreed, Reconguista in G, Turn A and Victory really made Tomino direction pop out with competent animators. OP is too much of a fag so I had no choice to recommend the movies.

Attached: 1555885185725.png (960x720, 931K)

wow, I can't even imagine missing the overarching narrative while also missing every single nuance this badly.

>The only Gundam that I've watched so far that had good writing or plot was War in the Pocket
Classic, 0080faggot thinks his Zeon apologist predictable tragedy is somehow better written. Embarrassing.

Attached: 1557492670534.png (960x720, 922K)

0079 looks good in stills but poor in motion. This applies to a lot of 70s and early 80s anime.

watch the movie version then

Feel free to make some actual counterpoints instead of just making contradictions and ad hominem.

fuck off bitch, you're just a weakling.

Attached: 640.gif (600x450, 2.07M)

duh it's shit because no computer colouring like my SAO

>his shirt's symbol moves
oh user. if you were trying to prove a point thats not the gif to do so.

Who could forget such classic shots as "Amuro laying on a bed" or "dutch angle where the character doesn't even look like he's inhabiting the space of the background"?

it's ok origin and unicorn exists

I'm not trying to prove any point? I'm posting Garma.

Attached: 1280.jpg (960x720, 128K)

Lmao r u mad?

Attached: [EG]Mobile_Suit_Gundam_41_BD(720p_10bit)[233217B5][00:18:43]001.jpg (2880x2880, 1.71M)

so when are we gonna get an updated version or should I go ask /m/?

Attached: file.png (1280x1028, 804K)

None of these look even close to the quality of OP’s image.

What's so different about Wing that I constantly see people disregarding it?

I liked it, a lot, when I was a kid, but obviously I didn't knew better.

Got into the train a few months ago with IBO, but it was completely different.

not him but thats moving the goalposts

If you are truly like gundam, just watch 0079 like your life depends on it.
It doesn't matter if it too old or anything, just muster up your courage and don't let your inner self deceit you.
I'd like to say, ms team is above than anything and 00 is my favorite.

>calling other people boomers when you think 08th is the best old Gundam show

Use this and ignore anyone that says it's the troll chart because it isn't.

Attached: Gundam Series Guide.jpg (2800x3402, 2.87M)

just watch iron blooded orphans then drop the series

Attached: 1557289030481.jpg (592x586, 50K)

but IBO is garbage

>ignore anyone that says it's the troll chart because it isn't
>seed destiny considered one of best series in entire franchise

Sounds accurate to me

Watch build fighters first.

I thought this chart was pretty helpful when getting into Gundam.

Attached: 1555842413464.jpg (1016x2712, 329K)

Gundam 00
/thread

that's the idea

Might as well watch IBO. It got most normies into gundam that couldn't stand watching old anime.

Kill yourself

>People watch Gundam for the fights and cool mecha.
I only care about the drama

>Every character in 0079 was aggressively retarded
Nobody in the main cast is older than 20, have you realized it yet?

>recommending the worst entry in the franchise

I'm well aware that this huge complicated military ship is somehow being operated by a crew of minors and mostly civilians. If I'm supposed to believe that they can somehow manage that, then I think I should be able to expect at least moderate levels of competency from the cast, not a never-ending series or pants-on-head retarded bumblings (that somehow always work out in the end). Just saying that the crew is all under 20 isn't a magic excuse for everybody to be painfully idiotic every episode.

Have you ever had a real job in your life

I'm phoneposting on my lunch break from my job right now

>Where do I start?
>no, I don't want to start there that's too old
Just start with Origins like every other "fan" of the series then go watch post-2000 AU series or something, retard. Why do people bother asking where to start if they already made up their mind?

Attached: GundamTurnASochie.jpg (496x456, 25K)

>Just start with Origins
Don't even suggest it for Lalah's sake god damn it user

You didn't even bother using an inbetween frame or an off-model shot of the Gundam, this is horrible bait.

dubs confirms the truth

Attached: Char.png (488x362, 228K)

So cursed, why

Why is everyone shiting on IBO?
It was the only gundam anime that I actually liked and watched to the end.

user. why are you such an easy target?

What do you mean?

your post unless you're baiting. in that case carry on

i started with watching gundam: the origin. then watched 0079, 8th ms then IBO. .-.

Start with either Unicorn, G-Reco or Origins and, if you like them, make your way chronologically backwards,
Ignore these autistic retards, they clearly have idea what they're talking about.

Attached: 1525804424492.png (392x366, 119K)

>Unicorn
The single worst place to start and the definition of needing prior knowledge to understand like OP didn't want.

>G-Reco
Would be better to start with Turn A since G-Reco is just Turn A but worse. And both require about the same amount of knowledge beforehand, which isn't much.

>Origins
Probably is better if you've seen 0079. In either case is more nostalgia pandering.

Just neck yourself, IBO is a good anime and y'all have shit taste.

Attached: 1513554119873.jpg (1200x675, 142K)

user, I like IBO too(only first season) but saying you like IBO is like putting a bullseye on your back

>>Origins
>Probably is better if you've seen 0079. In either case is more nostalgia pandering.
then its not a bad thing if the important bits are there

G-Reco was fucking shit. If you liked it, your probably a brainley

they aren't

oh, well never mind then

These are the /m/ sanctioned opinions

This one is cute. First time seeing it.

No one liked seed destiny. Not even staff.

Japan disagrees pretty hard.

>Would be better to start with Turn A since G-Reco is just Turn A but worse.
Wrong, G-Reco was way better than Turn Lame.
Season 2 was worse than season 1.
>Ignore these autistic retards, they clearly have idea what they're talking about.
You're the only one being that.

Compilation movies of the first gundam series.

>Reconguista in G, Turn A and Victory

Tomino shows have some godly storyboarding and editing at parts. He usually goes crazy on the last episode.

The fights have actual animation and choreography, being actually fun to watch.
I swear you guys are baiting or are massive retards.

Read the fucking manga then.

It's just too bad about the Story in Reconguista.

Or is it lack of story? A “story that renounces stories" as Urobutcher put it, which sounds like a crock of shit to me but does kind of fit.

I want to watch Gundam Reconguista in G for Yoshida Ken'ichi designs
How bad idea is it?

Kai will come at night and beat you while you sleep

I think people shit on G-Reco too much. It probably would have been better if it was longer but I enjoyed it well enough and for such a recent show it's almost entirely hand drawn and has some pretty good animation. It doesn't abuse stills like a lot of anime does.

Attached: GundamGRecoAss.webm (852x480, 1.64M)

There are a lot of things to like about G-Reco, but unfortunately the writing really is all over the place and you should leave logic at the door.

>start with The Origin

Attached: 7uiv8spzigy21.jpg (1280x720, 214K)

This is good

Amuro is so cute it's not fair

Attached: 1557996099856.jpg (960x720, 160K)

Start with the 0079 movie compilations, that was when Gundam became good, the original 0079 broadcast was garbage that had its second season culled because it was a commercial failure. The 0079 movies along with Bandai's plastic model releases along the same time is what paved the way for zeta and everything else after.

>Start with the 0079 movie compilations
Don't do this if you want to watch an actual space opera. Only the third movie is nice but because of redrawn animation and slight dialogue and characterization changes (that are not either better or worse, just different). Tomino can only pace chaptered stories, he sucks with movies and he even acknowledges that in that Anno interview

Oh, it was already bad back then.

It was canceled but there wasn't going to be a second season. It ended up being 9 episodes shorter than was originally planned. And no, the movies are trash. Anyone who unironically recommends watching summary movies instead of what they summarize are subhumans with zero taste.

Fuck gundam and fuck off /m/. Give good mecha recomendations.

Dude, just watch Eva again for the millionth time. It's the peak of the mecha genre and deconstructs everything. Everything before Eva was formulaic super robot shows for children. What? No, I haven't watched any other mecha series.

00 or Build Fighters.

>y'all
Ah, it's bait after all

this but unironically

watch 00
it's what got me into gundam

In the first place it's Tomino's fault for making weapons of mass destruction so alluring.

Just like Coppola with napalm.

oregagundamuda

Seed, 00, Wing, IBO or 0079 (watch the movie trilogy if you're a lazy-ass faggot).

>00
What's good about it?

>Gundam
>Good
Don't fall for the meme. Watch something like Gorg, Gatchaman, Ginguiser, GaoGaiGar instead

But Gundam also starts with a g so it fits.

Getter Robo and guren lagan. also g

now post him wearing girl clothes

Getter is decent and gurren lagann is only good if it's your first anime

>gurren lagann is only good if it's your first anime
but even afterwards its still good and even better when you realize its the megalo box of getter robo but better

Not watching the original series is a criminal offense.

no. its it has several different alternates and timelines and most of them outside the first timeline doesn't need knowledge of the other

>Is there a good starting anime for Gundam?

Dunno, but Gundam SEED Destiny was the first anime I torrented: and was my first exposure to Gundam, so it was a good start for me. I might try Turn A Gundam, as I learned that the mecha in that was designed by Blade Runner's Syd Mead.

Attached: turn_a_gundam.jpg (347x500, 71K)

Wrong toonamishitter

if you dont enjoy guren lagann, thats on you, and and
>user acting like he's too superior to toonami
jesus, take the broom out your ass

>Eva
>Mecha

user, there's something I've got to tell you about what Asuka, Rei et al sit in...! The mecha in Soukyuu no Fafner may be biomechanical: with Festum technology integrated into such in SnF: Exodus, but at least they're not huge humanoids in armor

Attached: naked_eva.jpg (450x604, 53K)

>too old

>Gundam SEED Destiny was the first anime I torrented: and was my first exposure to Gundam
why did you watch seed destiny before seed?

>why did you watch seed destiny before seed?

Because it was the first anime I DL'd using Bittorrent: which I'd only just discovered then. DDLs were a bitch to find at the time, thus I found that series easily available then (that, and Nin-Nin-Ga Shinobuden: which I watched instead of Naruturd, which I dropped before it started. Proper ninja wear pink)

...ah, whither Deathsquad: who subbed those series all those years ago...?!

Attached: Gundam_SEED_Destiny.jpg (1800x972, 295K)

even still you didn't find it kind of confusing first? how did you not even search up the series

pre 90s anime hurts my eyes desu
same reason i can handle snes games but not nes games

>how did you not even search up the series

At the time, two words: Real Media.

...ugh, I'm gonna need a shower now.

Attached: asuka_shower.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Turn A is literally the end of Gundam

Attached: Bright_slap.png (1600x1200, 227K)

I thought it was g gundam.

>or is too old
>The animation quality is terrible by modern standards, though. They haven't aged well.
Imagine thinking like this

Attached: 1552388903463.jpg (720x720, 45K)

Attached: Jet_Alone.png (175x298, 53K)