Is this how all mangaka work?

Is this how all mangaka work?

Attached: scandalous.png (867x516, 240K)

That's literally how all artists work, but it depends on the subject and situation.

Some don't even trace/reference and just take photos and run them through filters. Obviously they can't do that for everything but there's some manga where like 80% of the "art" is just filtered photos.

Referencing is literally a requirement if you're publishing manga on a deadline.

Also, referencing isn't a malpractice in art, it's literally a cornerstone of it. The amount brainlets who think referencing is equivalent to plagiarism is astounding.

Examples? I mean for actual character art, not backgrounds.

yes you have free license to take pictures of random girls as long as you say it is for reference

Some can do it from scratch.

Backgrounds are done the most. Even background characters. There was one image I saw, don't remember the name of the manga, that was like a subway station with most of the background and some of the people walking around being photos. Still, not having to draw backgrounds because they're photos allows you to put more time into drawing characters but it almost always looks like shit. It's also generally a problem for scans of those manga and I've seen some terrible scans where the photos are scanned too dark or something and you can barely make out the backgrounds.

>wow references, how unoriginal!

>as you google something for the millionth time

Not everyone, but using references, or even tracing your references are perfectly fine, as long as you took them yourself.

That HxH meme that went around really poisoned the well on this stuff, especially here. That in particular was shitty, cause Togashi was tracing shit that wasn't his, IIRC, it was a pic of a model from a magazine. But the discourse devolved into the point if you're doing Asano Inio's or Kiyohiko Azuma's method of tracing backgrounds from their own photos, or Hamada Yoshikazu's whole tracing plain 3D models thing is just as bad.

I think it isn't automatically bad. You just have to be able to blend them properly. Or based on your style, be willing to adjust said background enough to fit your style. Hiroya Oku is an example of the super lazy way of just putting a filter on and calling it a day.

Togashi even used a scan of a world map (our world) instead of his own manga's world map.

Pretty normal for not only mangaka, but artists in general. Having a type of reference for the human body is how you avoid shit like yaoi hands.

You can tell this was referenced because the pictures don't exactly match with what the characters end up looking like.
Referencing like this is how Michelangelo and Da Vinci got good. Basically if you want to learn how to draw something you look at it from a bunch of angles and draw what you see, it's a very common practice and totally logical and fine.

They have to het inspiration from somewhere

Some also use 3D models.

Attached: gantz10_020.jpg (734x1100, 117K)

Attached: gantz10_021.jpg (734x1100, 103K)

Yes. Drawing purely from the mind is something only the greatest artists can do and have it look good, and even then it doesn’t look as good as referenced art. It’s how drawing in general works. You can draw unreal things but you need a basis in reality to do it. Not just manga but art in general. Of course there’s etiquette to it as well, using someone else’s photos without permission is a no no. If an image is public domain then you can use it all you want. Additionally, outright tracing is bad. Ideally you take your own reference photos or for things you can’t photograph yourself you use public domain images. All the great artists throughout history learnt by referencing older artist’s works, it’s not something to be frowned upon but something literally every artist does.

Yes, and its not plagiarism

i love how much Boichi goes into detail about the production of Sunk-Ken rock

I admire how willing his assistants are to put up with his antics.

It's an established way. Faster and more accurate.

Attached: Go_Ohinata.jpg (847x1200, 188K)

No, most manga google references instead of making their own photos.

Honestly for simple scenes like that it probably isn't much faster.

This is some top tier autism right here.

gantz was shit tho

>filtered photo background on right

Attached: 1553047306141.jpg (1280x720, 306K)