In Japan today, animated TV shows filled with all kinds of fancy robotlike, mechanical creations are all the rage...

>In Japan today, animated TV shows filled with all kinds of fancy robotlike, mechanical creations are all the rage. I have certainly drawn lots of mecha, or mechanical things, myself. But the general theme of currently popular shows seems to be that the protagonist jumps in a giant machine he couldn't possibly have created on his own, battles the enemy in it, and then boasts about winning. I frankly hate these kind of shows. I don't care what types of robots are featured. For me, in a truly successful mecha show the protagonist should struggle to build his own machine, he should fix it when it breaks down, and he should have to operate it himself.

Honest opinions?

Attached: 220px-Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg (220x309, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a lot of mecha series are just bad war dramas rather than what he described

>honest
>Miyazaki

tl;dr

I wonder if Miyazaki drives a car he couldn't have possibly built himself or rides a train he couldn't possibly have built himself. Or uses software he couldn't possibly have programmed himself.

Not like there aren't plenty of mecha where the protag does do maintenance on their robot.

Ironman(the anime) is the best mecha.

Yeah like how all of those pilots in your movies know how to build and maintain their own shit.

Among all his goddamn films full of flying machines, there's one scene of Porco fixing his own shit. And there's an entire subplot in that movie about taking the plane back to the manufacturer to repair it it. What the hell is he on about?

>And yet, Tomino remains dissatisfied. On May 5, he gave a special lecture at Takara University’s Tokyo Media Department, in the capital’s Shinjuku neighborhood, offering advice to the assembled students who one day hope to work in the animation field. “Anime production is an industry in which people with various roles work together,” the 77-year-old director explained. “So you shouldn’t be an abrasive kind of person like I am. Being the kind of person who can be part of a harmonious ensemble is what will lead you to happiness.”
>However, Tomino doesn’t seem to have been able to take his own advice. “I am still not happy,” he told the students. “Even when I think I’m going to be able to crush Hayao Miyazaki, I can’t. This is the thing that makes me the most unhappy.”

Attached: 1557528841225.jpg (250x350, 20K)

This quote is from the 70s.

You say that as if there isn't an entire film about a guy designing planes.

>quote from the seventies
Anyways, Miyazaki isn't entirely wrong even though he's probably changed his views on it in the last fifty fucking years. His knowledge of the genre back then is literally the mecha from the seventies.

But that's irrelevant; because no one wants to make a series about Miyazaki riding a train and then boasting about how great he is.

Is Future Boy Conan mecha?

>he's probably changed his views on it in the last fifty fucking years
I doubt it. This quote just shows he's always been insufferable and doesn't like anything that wasn't made by him.

Not at all. It's a classic adventure that has some elements of machinery in. Lots of Miyazaki shit is like that.

honest opinion? I think miyazaki should kill himself OP

He is a strong man. I would kill myself if I were him because of all the shit going on in the industry right now. Imagine actually making worthwile anime while low effort seasonal garbage and Shinkai movies are what people really want

Attached: 1551615522037.png (640x480, 155K)

>wants a more character driven mecha story
>character driven mecha stories have come in much larger numbers in the last fifty fucking years
>but no, he hasn't rethought it at all

He doesn't want anything. He just wants to complain about everything.

Retards are magical beings. They make up stupid shit out of nothing, as if it’s magic.

Attached: D75449BC-0430-4632-A952-05133B3B547E.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

Miyazaki's desires are pretty obvious, even if you disagree with them.

kek but oof

There’s plenty of loli pantsu every season for his desires

Honesty is the only thing I can respect him for.

Shinkai movies are okay, and Your Name was genuinely well made movie. All the best people in the industry worked on it, including many Ghibli veterans. It's not revolutionary but ticks all the right boxes. I guess it's like Titanic of anime.

How do we fix the mecha genre without becoming a waifubait show ala Franxx?

Define fix.

They really are the Statler and Waldorf of anime.

Ouch. Harsh, but fair. Was he correct in saying this? Personally, it's going to be a "yes" from me.

The actual Iron Man anime was crap, but it could have been the best mecha if they kept Koike: youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ

>In October 2001, Hayao Miyazaki met with the families of 9/11 victims. After a brief interview in which he expressed his condolences and hope for closure, he reportedly burst out laughing and made airplane noises and mimicked two planes crashing. He then picked up the child of a deceased victim and whispered into her ear "Your dad's dead, bitch", and proceeded to put on a pair of sunglasses and unleash a barrage of martial arts attack on the small child. She was rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead due to internal bleeding. When asked later about the incident, Miyazaki became visibly sexually aroused and repeated the same attack on the reporter.

Honest opinions?

Even among anime consumers, the mecha genre is fairly niche. I'm curious what it would take for a mecha show to reach Attack on Titan or Franxx levels of audience engagement. I personally think that it's just hard to make sci-fi interesting to people.

based

Actually have characters in your story and put all of the shitty and bland waifus into the place where they belong, the dumpster.

Attached: E496E2A5-2B7B-423E-A230-933FBBD0DCBD.jpg (750x959, 581K)

In my experience, the audience wants romance and apocalypse shit with some edgy boys around.

Why not have best of both worlds? Waifus with character beyond "cute/sexy".

Fucking kek

It's funny, because both this and the OP are just as substantiated.

> Miyazaki became visibly sexually aroused and repeated the same attack on the reporter.
Inhaled my tea and almost died fuck.

Tomino is practically clinically insane, he has to kill women and children in his anime just so he won't do it irl.

That’s what I implied.

Attached: F24C49EC-1E4C-4293-8BEB-8B8CBF42A075.jpg (750x904, 375K)

/diy/ anime when

Attached: milwaukee merchant.jpg (270x540, 45K)

Attached: laugh.jpg (320x454, 74K)