Why was season 1 so much better than 2?

why was season 1 so much better than 2?

Attached: attack-on-titan-colossus-titan.jpg (1777x999, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k2u1nTvBYx0
youtube.com/watch?v=r4Um6okMHcE&list=PLmssrZBXrf_dJcl2ZUd6meEEoZtsxf7UJ&index=19
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Better direction, better art design, better action, better music. Everything about seasons 2 and 3 feels cheap and rushed, like they were made by obligation rather than love, which season 1 was obviously done with.

I hope this is a joke. Season 1 was an absolute joke.

You're a joke. Season 1 is amazing, incredibly rewatchable, and the art was beautiful.

Attached: 1450051091976.gif (953x537, 609K)

I heard it was strayed from the manga somehow.

>two frames of an animation proves something
kys

youtube.com/watch?v=k2u1nTvBYx0

It wasn't
>Completely different in tone from the manga due to the omissions and focus on action set pieces than mystery/horror
>HORRID production quality
>Anime original bullshit like fire titan and the ending in general
>Ruining scenes like Annie's reveal

It gets better after the first season when they learned to managed a production properly and Araki steps down to masturbate to his rip off Kabaneri while everyone else picks up the slack but that first season was an admitted dumpster fire.

Man there's archives of QUALITY from the TV version that was just the biggest fuck up to come from the anime.

Attached: titan.jpg (600x337, 35K)

it just feels like nothing actually happens in the second season and it's so disjointed with all the flashbacks and unexplained "mysterious" that it's impossible to get anything coherent from it
it's also far more drug out and what should have been really amazing moments like the colossal and armored titan reveal/fight were ruined by shitty cgi and just being a gay grapplefest instead of an mma like match

>it just feels like nothing actually happens in the second season and it's so disjointed with all the flashbacks and unexplained "mysterious" that it's impossible to get anything coherent from it
This is criticism that can be applied to the manga. The third season especially adapted the weakest arc in the series and the manga doesn't bounce back again until the 4th season. Basically a lot of people dropped out of the manga during these arcs.

This. After season 1 I just went to the manga, I hate using the terms, but the later seasons felt "soulless"

regardless of where the problems originated they are still problems
stuff like the colossal titan being a shitty cg model that ruins every scene instead of being the awe inspiring presence like when he previously appeared has nothing to do with the manga also being shit and has absolutely no reason to have been a problem in the first place

I remember not finishing it because RECAP episodes and muh still shots.

>Better direction
The direction was never good and clahed heavily with the tone of the series.
>better art design
The later season has better art design
> better action,
First season had more action set piece but they fucked it up more often than not.
>better music.
This came out right on the verge of Sawano becoming a meme and even back then this wasn't considered his best and a significant downgrade from Ao no Exorcist and even GC.

>Everything about seasons 2 and 3 feels cheap and rushed, like they were made by obligation rather than love, which season 1 was obviously done with.
This is complete horseshit

Attached: 5e58ef48dbc1abe9e4df6070b63f572c1372594200_full.jpg (640x1076, 227K)

Kill yourself, for some reason season 1 pushed Snk in what is today. And the other seasons are just season 1 with cheap budget.

>awe inspiring presence like when he previously appeared
He barely fucking moved during the first season. Second and third is where he actually does shit.

Attached: giphy.gif (480x270, 2.71M)

S1 was a production disaster

he didn't need to move to be intimidating
when he looks like he was ripped out of a ps2 game instead of being excellently or even competently animated it's beyond jarring

He was only intimidating if you were a retarded teenager.

then why does it look better than 99% of other anime?

because you're blind

>everyone is stupid but me

It wasn't. Season 2 was kino

explain why

3 > 2 > 1
It's the most consistently good show there is, I don't know how they do it

Since he's missing all his cheek muscles, can he not close his mouth?

Because it wasn't. s2 and 3 are both better then s1, which was filled with bad pacing, bad animation, reused animation, awkward cuts, quality out of the ass, and butchering of key character moments and development, and then some retarded ass battleshit finale.

It was only successful because the premise was so strong, and the manga, sells millions a copy.

>why was season 1 so much better than 2?
Because EHfags ruined the anime

So much this

>season "ten minute flashback before the episode picks up where the last left off" 2
>good pacing

>butchering of key character moments and development
[citation needed]

are any of the OVAs good? should they just be watched whenever?

I'm dumb. Why does he suddenly explode when transforming?

Attached: 1547334480577.jpg (1280x960, 718K)

Based
Cringe.

Attached: EH_OTP.jpg (503x700, 59K)

something something vapor condesation

His titan can expel energy at will, it's part of its power.

But it didn't happen before last episode. See OP's pic.

Are you a speedwatcher? Did you forget the whole last season?

Nah, 2>1>3
The first half of season 3 was garbage, they cut like half of the manga, if feels like the characters are talking things out of the ass all the time, the animation was good tho.
And this second half is being a production disaster, bad direction, re used animations everywhere, bad cgi, shit effects, QUALITY scenes, the opening has no own animation etc.They even fail at basic shit like Berholdt in the barrel last episode, first they see him way way at their right, then out of nowhere they are way at his left, and then he is just right at their backs, they don't even know what the fuck they are drawing.

The story wasn't as retarded back then.

Why are you blaming the story that comes from the manga on the anime? You know how this works right?

>The first half of season 3 was garbage, they cut like half of the manga
That was Isayaama's decision and it was a good one because Uprising is a very weird arc that people aren't into that much

Uh, I disagree strongly. The story after season 1 really got me to like the show. Season 1 has a good premise and concept but the characters are very annoying and it doesn't seem like the story will turn into what it eventually becomes. Annie revealing herself was when I really thought things were going somewhere and it just increased with every season

what are you even saying? how is a fault that originates from the source not also a fault in the adaptation if it persists?
if nothing is fucking happening in anime and it's incoherent as fuck because of constant vague flashbacks because that all happened in the manga it's still part of the anime

Right. I get it now. I just thought from the last episodes dialogue that he had no choice but to explode.

Attached: 1555723942549.jpg (375x589, 35K)

In what regards? the general story on display and writing? because I disagree, despite a few nice anime original character moments for the most part it's a drug out version of the Manga's first few arcs that makes things feel all too stagnant and feels almost style over substance in presentation whereas the Manga is the complete opposite, entire arcs going by with minimal action, just character focus like Uprising and Marley, and it's got characters like Petra and Co and Eren's 104th training buddies who die and it's almost like we are expected to care for such cardboard characters? it's easily one of the only parts of SnK's story I find "missed potential" as showing us the 104th days in more detail would make things like that or Annie/Reiner/Bert's reveal more impactful by elaborating on these characters and their interactions beforehand but Annie/Reiner/Bert get enough for me to not lump em in with essentially non characters.
Visually? Maybe Season 1 BLU RAY is pretty sexy and consistent but I prefer the general character design/art style of later seasons more, it captures the actual vibe of the Manga better, at worst the animation is unremarkable or out of place with CGI and as someone who's read the Manga all the way through from Chapter 1 it's needless to say I'm not consuming this series for pure eye candy, anyway unless Berserker mode fire Attack Titan gets some relevancy in the Manga Season 1 made a fuck up there, worse than Season 3 sleep darts.
In general I just tend to prefer every arc over the arc before it (manga-wise at least) so Season 1 is the weakest writing wise for me, especially with Berserker bullshit.

Attached: PS_Messages_20190515_090513.jpg (1920x1080, 183K)

The flashback shit was mostly a weird anime original thing, the arc was short and achieved its goal well in the Manga, have Reiner and Bert's true identity revealed, lesbo Ymir's too, hint at the outside world with the "hometown" shit and the herring, reveal the reason people try to kidnap Eren, the coordinate, among other things but I'm just barebones explaining it.

>are any of the OVAs good?
Yes. First one is more of an adaptation of a chapter that was never covered in the first season. Second is more comedy centric with Jean as the main character. Third is a good filler episode featuring the cast working together.

No Regrets is just an adaptation of the Levi backstory manga.

Lost Girls is an adaptation of the Annie/Mikasa manga.

it's just the lack of chronology in the second season that really bothers me and makes it unenjoyable, the first time I watched it I felt like I didn't remember anything at all and going back to it I can see why
it's pointlessly confusing for no reason other than hiding some minor "reveal" for 5 minutes longer every fucking episode

I feel like this is only an issue with you.

I've talked with a friend of mine about it and he agrees it was really haphazard
I don't see how you can not think it wasn't like that and not boringly drug out
an entire fucking episode was spent getting ymir onto the wall and reiner/bert reveal themselves at the very end of it, how is that bearable pacing to you?

Yeah, because he knew normies would die of boredom with it if it was like the manga, like a lot of people who went and read the manga in its day after season 1 because they were 14 years old that had too much to read and few titans to see.
The arc is good, and at least is strong at what it tells, the anime adaptation doesn't make any sense, is just throwing at the viewer random shit every 3 minutes. It was a decision that had to be made, but not a good one at all.

i unironically disagree with this. season 1 dragged on too long and the ending was shit compared to season 2. season 2 had more kino moments past the first episode as well. i also preferred the soundtrack. not just that but i find the second season much tenser and more eerie, even though it wasn't fully focused on close titan encounters. season 1 hadn't introduced the most interesting characters which also made it much worse than season 2.

Attached: warrior.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

based.

Attached: up their assholes.jpg (600x834, 34K)

>fire titan
this didn't even mean anything
it's easily handwaved as eren just getting extra pissed

when exactly should I watch them?
is just the first one and the Annie/Levi backstory ones canon?

1 > 2 > 3
Season 3 part 1 was so boring. I want to see cool titan fights, not a bunch of humans fighting each other. Part 2 seems good so far.

And you're a retard

S1 had the best threads.
This show was better when it was called Eotena Onslaught and everyone was speculating about Monkey Troubles.
Does anyone still has one of those character update charts?
Also almost no Fujos.

Attached: 1370442813967.png (477x347, 224K)

why does this show keep making me try to sympathize with the titan shifters who murdered thousands of people

Because they were brainwashed child soldiers, those feelings should stop though since they still kept going forward even while knowing that all they knew about the people in the walls was a lie so you should still hate them.

can someone explain what the point of the movies are
are they even worth watching

You mean the live actions ones?

the animated ones
they're apparently recaps but I have no idea why they exist or if they're worth watching

I genuinely cannot wait for Season 4 to filter all the "DURR WHAR R DA TITAN FIGHTS" brainlets like this user out of the series.

Watch more anime then, newfag.

why are you shocked people want to see the parts that aren't snoozefests

what are you even talking about

Just because you have ADD it doesn't mean everyone else can't enjoy part without fighting.

Season 2, season 3, and the long wait served as the perfect normie/pleb filters.

why didnt she just absorb the attack titan?

Clash of titans arc as a whole was pretty decent, while Ft arc was great.

Because he had the coordinate

The entire anime is overrated garbage
Just read the manga

What was the problem with S2 aside from the CG colossal exactly? Direction was the same and the pacing was actually less of an issue than in S1 which had a fair share of episodes that were either slow or poor in content, not to mention 3 fucking minute long recaps every other ep.

Because it made several mile stones in the series. With each season after that the story keeps doing this thing where they spend several episodes trying to accomplish something and right when they will accomplish something, the rug is pulled right out from under then. They did it with the blonde chick turning to ice, the two getting away in the forest, several people dying right before they spill their guts about plot questions, and last episode where blonde guy somehow survives. Throw us a fucking bone.

>like a lot of people who went and read the manga in its day after season 1 because they were 14 years old that had too much to read and few titans to see.
I'm very ashamed of admitting it, but this hits home 100%. When I picked SNK back up around 2017 I hated myself for dropping it and spoiling myself on most of the twists, browsing Yea Forums. Uprising arc is unironically the best arc in terms of character development. If only I wasn't that retarded back then.

Attached: Grisha_He_hates_it.png (355x357, 146K)

Have you watched season 1 recently!? How can you think season 1 was better then season 2. I can get saying it was better then season 3 but that’s only because they butchered a lot of the story beats in season 3(at least for the first half. So far the second half has been good. Only complaint is the CGI colossal titan.)

The manga is unironically becoming one of my favorites. As long as it doesn't drag on for another 100 chapters and has a satisfying ending, I think it might become a modern classic.

>S4 will cut Reiner's flashbacks entirely

Why are there so many threads all of a sudden, and what's with all these cancer brainlet opinions?

are you stupid? They won't cut that

Attached: GabiEyes.jpg (297x237, 37K)

S1 was more action packed
S2 felt like a political shitstorm

pplt watch that for titan fights, not for flashbacks and monarchy

You really SnK would be better if it was just the same arcs from Season 1/2 repeated over and over again instead of evolving the story like the Uprising arc and Basement reveal did?? Thats an NPC opinion if I've ever seen one

Seasons 2 and 3 generally had better production, including better art, more sakuga, MUCH better pacing, and better adaptation of the source material into anime form (shot composition, general flow, etc.)
BUT
The series blew most of its best ideas in the first two arcs. Eren's return, gas and blade limitations, the first reveal that other characters could be titans, overwhelming despair of this kind of battle actually getting to people, and so on.

Titans generate insane levels of heat. This actually fits the story, even if it was added to the anime.

Season 1 and 2 are decent at best adaptations. Season 3 completely butchers the uprising and RtS arcs. Not to mention it's a production disaster so far. It feels like WIT isn't even trying. Bad script, bland direction, CGI shitfest, shitty OP and ED. I have never seen a director like Araki who gets so mad to the point of butchering the adaptation just because his waifu was cucked in the manga.

Attached: 1556554650709.png (336x479, 224K)

>For more Mikasa buttshots

why do people get so mad when you say you don't want to read the manga

It's not. S2 didn't have any pacing issues while S1 did but that's mainly because of the manga.

>S2 didn't have any pacing issues

Attached: 1503110036590.gif (540x304, 1.26M)

>The series blew most of its best ideas in the first two arcs.
Uh, that's clearly wrong

SnK is the only work of fiction where revealing the big mystery made it more interesing instead of less

Cute Tohru but S2's pacing issues isn't nearly as bad as S1 with almost half the season spent on Eren lifting the boulder to the wall. Keep in mind that they adapt the manga to anime pretty faithfully so pacing issues again are due to the manga.

No CGshit colossal titan.

based s3 is by far the worst offender of them all and by a wide margin.

>Araki who gets so mad to the point of butchering the adaptation just because his waifu was cucked in the manga.
?

3 is an absolute shitfest with cheap botched drawings, cgi, riddled with stiff animation and bad character designs. What a delusional hypocritical retarded sheep to place the likes of season 3 on the same pedestal as 2 while also criticizing 1 when it had some of the most breathtaking animation and production out there.

Season 1 did the worst sin of all, giving material to EM shippers who got fooled by Araki's directing

More mystery to the story as well. Seems like it's getting way out there more and more.

The anime extended the flashbacks and in some cases changed their placement so they're not as coherent as their manga counterparts though.

It had more funding.

Publishers are generally more willing to fund a new upcoming manga, than an old busted one that won't get any more new readers.

Anime in general is a black hole. It takes months to make, but is so easily pirated.

Not to the point it generates fire which never fucking happens, that was just added as a "cool effect" because Araki is a hack who has to go over the top with everything.

quit getting your panties in a twist over something that doesn't matter you frilly faggot

This. The manga gets so much better once the "mystery" aspect gets resolved and you realized that the finding out where the Titans came from is the LEAST interesting aspect of the series which was something they had build up for years. I guess that's why so many people dropped the manga after the basement reveal and when it became another war story.

>This is really fucking stupid audit doesn't happen in the manga
>s-s-s-sshut up faggot! Its cool af and not a big deal!

best
youtube.com/watch?v=r4Um6okMHcE&list=PLmssrZBXrf_dJcl2ZUd6meEEoZtsxf7UJ&index=19

>this purely visual effect that was never addressed and didn't alter the outcome of anything is an ENORMOUS PROBLEM

I watched the first season ages ago. Can someone just spoil what happens for me. Why can humans turn into titans

Attached: image0.jpg (1125x1110, 226K)

Don't spoil yourself. Don't do like me because you'll regret it after knowing

I will seriously never watch or read it

>I will seriously never watch or read it
That's what I used to think too before asking on a thread/going on wikis to spoil myself, and knowing the main twists sparked my interest in this series again. But it ruined the fun for me, it's why I won't spoil you.

Attached: 1544291639024.jpg (1039x751, 258K)