Why can't normalfags into mecha?

Why can't normalfags into mecha?

Attached: 1469651668280.jpg (796x777, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3vSqgo6HFUw
youtube.com/watch?v=S5o0KaXDlzY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because most mecha shows are shit. People into that sort of thing only watch for the mechanical design and generally disregard quality. Why do think gundam has been so successful over the years? Theres been a mecha drought recently too and of the few that appear none have been any goid
T. /m/fag

>liking mecha

>Aldnoah Zero
Fucking lol.

FMP is amazing 10/10 though, I wish normalfags where I live even knew of it's existence.

Because people come in expecting giant robots fighting when they’re really getting war dramas

Because they only want to watch post-2000 stuff and Eva.

>liking an entire genre
Why? How does that work? If I like the mecha genre am I supposed to automatically like all of them, even unbearable retardation like Aldnoah, or any forgotten mediocrity from the 80s like Ninja Senshi Tobikage?

The problem is that those war dramas are always mediocre and shallow, and you can get much better stories of the same theme elsewhere, while you can't get a spectacle of giant robots fighting anywhere else.

No, you're just expected to like garbage a la Getter, Gundam and Mazinger. If you think those are bad then you hate mecha.

Why do you keep making this thread?

I watched a ton of shit that gets constantly reposted on /m/ - Giant Robo the Animation, Getter Robo, The Big O etc. - and none of them were better than Gainax's meme shows, so I don't think the "I don't like mecha anime, but..." usage is unjustified.

Because giant humanoid robots are stupid idea.

Attached: 1525489884914.png (847x877, 841K)

It still baffles me how much garbage /m/ defends while acting high and mighty.

>Theres been a mecha drought recently too
We had 30 /m/-related shows last year.

What do you mean? There are a lot of normalfag mecha anime. Tengen, EVA, Gundam, Macross. Also Mazinger and other 70s and 80s mecha are popular with boomers.

Why? /m/ is primarly populated by rednecks who sport a double digit IQ.

No one liked aldnoah zero. Not even normalfags

It's one of the most normalfag genres. why do you think it was a financial success?

Mecha is an extremely japanese thing. It appeals less to anyone who didn’t grow up with fighting robots as a type of typical kids cartoon. Same with super sentai, you’ll never see anything besides power rangers be popular in the west.

Because normies for the most part only go to sci fi if they want gritty realism or something bursting with audacity. Most of the titles if your picture are ones that do exactly that albeit from different angles (most notable in Geass and Laganns different kind of hype). Anything inbetween is promptly shunned.

Now what does this have to do with mech as a whole though? Most mech shows end up being Gundam or something following the same trend as it, that is a middle ground between gritty realism and that drowning in audacity. Normies don't like that unless it's clearly laid out which of those kind of sci fi it is. You can see this in that the ones that did watch a few gundam series always mention the ones that skirted into the audacious territory (G, and wing) despite NA having access to MSG also, but yet not being quite as popular.

Because mecha is a dead genre. Entire of Sci Fi is a dead genre which is why you see Star Wars and Star Trek dying. No one wants to know about the future cause we are already living in it, and it sucks.

Are there ANY mech shows that don't pull a bullshit "I win" device for the protagonists with some top secret technology?
The war drama side of it is completely undermined when the stakes are balanced with an atomizer, it bores the shit out of me. Code Geass S1 was about the only show I can think of that didn't do this and made the one advantage they did have extremely difficult to utilize.
Aldnoah Zero would have been 10/10 if it wasn't for the protagonist. Fuck that show for raping its own potential.

I had a normalfag friend tell me they saw "this robot anime" and thought it was pretty cool and that I should check it out.
They weren't aware that there was a second season, though.

IBO subverted that by giving the antagonist an "I win" button in the form of an illegal weapon that they were able to endlessly spam with the whole world watching and suffer zero consequences as they won the whole conflict.

Star Trek apart from TOS and TNG has never been mainstream anyway. Star Wars movies are still mainstream as fuck.

Sci-Fi's going to swing back. Star Wars is popular, but too far up its own ass to really inspire modern audiences. Same for Discovery.
Shows like the Orville that are inspired by the best-selling tropes are going to pave the way. It's light-hearted enough to be accessible to new audiences, but contains all the best-written tropes from older shows that will revitalize interest in the genre again. We'll probably see the next big sci-fi hit in 5 - 7 years.

Yeah sci fi is nothing but tropes now.

The last big budget sci fi I enjoyed was transcendence. Annihilation was ok too.

2nd time I see this thread

Fuck normalfags

>Getter Robo
>Watch
There's a Getter Robo thread up right now and most people are saying to read the manga. Or at least to only watch the OVAs and not the TV show. Though after reading the manga.

Giant Robo and Big O are praised on Yea Forums too. I thought Giant Robo was kind of mediocre. And I've seen people say it's shit compared to the manga.

Honestly my all time favourite mecha show

Attached: Teletha._Tessa_.Testarossa.full.1272847.jpg (696x696, 165K)

Because Evangelion Is shit,normies start with Evangelion and then they drop the show

That's a stretch. It's more like they watch Eva without having seen anything else in the genre and proclaim it the best entry in the genre that deconstructs all the tropes of the genre.

I've never even heard of the anime in the bottom row, and i also haven't seen Evangelion. Normalfags wouldn't watch that since that show is the absolute epitome of "nerdy, not like socially accepted nerdy, but the cringey outcast nerdy" anime

>aldnoah zero
If you're going that low, you might as well put Franxx in the list, too.

not everybody likes to watch glorified toy commercials

Knights of Sidonia is pretty good if you can look past the dumb harem shit and the 100% cgi. I really enjoyed the setting.

>I've never even heard of the anime in the bottom row, and i also haven't seen Evangelion
How have you not heard of Aldonah Zero and FMP?

Eva is pretty fucking normalfag. Yea Forums is just really out of touch. It fucking aired on Adult Swim and was featured for an episode or two (censored) on Toonami during a "Giant Robot Week" they had at one point. Eva just hasn't had an in print home release in the US for a while and so has probably fallen out of the public consciousness for a decade or so.

Lets not kid ourselves. Watching more mecha or anime in general just makes Eva look that much better.

/thread

Attached: 1542408077573.png (1920x1080, 1.14M)

I wouldn't call myself a mecha fan but I've enjoyed a few entries in the subgenre. Why does Yea Forums hate mecha (and by extension /m/)so much? I've never seen any discussion of the three bottom shows, and the top three are "watch it ironically", "overhyped garbage" and "only the waifus are any good" respectively

Yea Forums thinks mecha as a concept is stupid despite reading shonenshit that's generally even worse or ecchishit. And they think Eva and TTGL are the peak of the genre and that any mecha made before Eva is primitive dogshit despite not watching any of it.

>I thought Giant Robo was kind of mediocre
Dangerously pleb opinion.

You take away its animation and score, and the OVA has nothing left. The piss-poor introducion of the Magnificent 10 is a testament to how badly that show was written. "Mediocre" seems like the appropriate term to use.

>mecha

I'm not a toddler who likes transformers and robots.

Attached: 1382163440378.png (935x720, 240K)

I like mecha but don't like Transformers. One of the reasons I didn't get into mecha sooner was because I thought it would all be like Transformers.

The Top row is better then the rest.

>forgotten mediocrity
>more people rated it on mal than my fav manga
ITTAI

As always with normalfags, it's a question of slowly getting them into the genre. Gunbuster is an excellent first show for almost everyone. It's short, the story appeals to a wide variety of people and quite frankly it's fucking fantastic.

Attached: pjfoiewhjorlkws.jpg (960x720, 99K)

>normalfag recommends normalfag show

I love giant robots but a lot of the anime/manga heralded by /m/ are either mediocre or straight up garbage. As for /m/ itself, you have obnoxious posters like this

>Why does Yea Forums hate mecha (and by extension /m/)so much
Primarily because of /m/'s attitude. I browse both boards, and while Yea Forums is a shit show, a board populated by nothing but uneducated drones, /m/ somehow manages to be even worse because almost every single poster refuses to engage with the material beyond superifical level. Everything is pseud, cringe, pretentious, it's just cartoons etc. and if you disagree you're a weeb.

The real problem however, is that this sort of attitude leads to many people praising outright mediocre shows. They will sell you Gundam as good, VOTOMs as exceptionally well written, [anything that isn't Gainax] as better than Gainax. /m/ also spawned the retro shit posters who create the 80s aesthetics threads and primarily badmouth all modern animation. So once an Yea Forumsnon watches old mecha shows, expecting to watch something truly impressive, they are let down because, in reality, the shows are nothing but subpar drivel. /m/ also doesn't understand how to get people interested in something because most of them are autists, unable to understand human behavior. They will tell you to watch unpolished shows first, so you can "understand" the more polished ones that build on them. They don't understand that most people will not have any interest in watching 70s animation. That's something you do once you're already so far down the rabbithole that your inch can't be scratched anymore otherwise. The concept of rewatching something is foreign to them, so they tell newfags to not watch [Gainax or Trigger show of your choice] first, because they pay homage to older shows, unable to understand that something like Evangelion pays homange to like a hundred different works.

tl;dr: /m/ doesn't understand people and as a result sends the wrong signals, thinks that watching Japanese cartoons is embarrassing and that digital animation is trash, and hates treating animation as an artform

>Gunbuster
>Normalfag

Attached: yftvghjmk,l.jpg (474x474, 15K)

They're right. You're a cringey pseud manchild weeb obsessed with cartoons.

I can't help point out trends in how people post about mecha on Yea Forums.

The problem is that people don't expand on what they watch. You tell them to watch Unicorn or Origins (or any other given commonly recommended mecha anime, TTGL, whatever) first and they just leave it at that, thinking they've watched everything worthwhile in the genre. And I recommend 0079 as something I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm not going to recommend something I didn't like to people just because they're shitters that only want flashy animation. That and people shit on the genre for being nothing but giant robots fighting but then don't want to watch anything that isn't just giant robots fighting and call it boring.

>No one wants to know about the future cause we are already living in it, and it sucks.

This is the beginning where everything it will take a very long time on how the future changes to society. Back to topic I think Mecha and Science-Fiction will comeback with like ever before.

>They don't understand that most people will not have any interest in watching 70s animation.
The funniest part is that the stuff they put on a pedestal are low quality even for 70s anime. Though to be fair, the best of the 70s aren’t mecha.

Normalfags love Aldonoah Zero because of Slaine that's the reason.

It's never about the mechs and just about teen drama

/m/ is only good for discussion of kaiju and toku shit
they have absolute garbage taste in mecha

Considering it was many Westerners' first mecha and one of the most highly rated and best selling OVAs in the west over two decades ago, it is definitely normalfag.

Fuck You Gridman was awesome we need more Toku anime like Gridman and others especially Yuri or Yaoi Toku shows.

>best selling OVAs in the west
It wasn't

>The problem is that people don't expand on what they watch.
Look at it this way: You tell the average newfag to watch some show written by Tomino. You have to assume that they aren't autistic. What's the outcome you expect? If you ask me, I'd expect for them to badmouth mecha and never touch the genre again becuase someone, who claims to be knowledgable, just recommended me a shit show as the peak of the subgenre, unable to understand that it's an acquired taste. If you tell them to watch TTGL there's at least a chance for them to watch something else. 70s or 80s entrylevel shit is less likely to spark their interest in the genre than any modern entrylevel shit of your choice. So they watch your shitty rec, be it 0079, Dougram or fucking Xabungle, laugh at you and never touch mecha again. I don't see how this is in anyones interest.

This, however, is what I am talking about. You're all autistic and too retarded to understand basic human behavior or wrap your head around an average individual's preferences. You treat anime as nothing but a vehicle for entertainment purposes (see ), yet don't understand what the average drone is entertained by. I didn't even judge you. I simply pointed out why people hate you.

Dude cringey pseud manchild weeb obsessed with cartoons haha.

>Gainax faggotry
>anything but pure shit
Holy shit you fucking faggot, go back to your yoko wankery thread, normalfag cancer.

>Because mecha is a dead genre.
The only dead genre(s) is Isekai and Harem. Science Fiction will return to glory once again and the forefront of anime.

Oh, so you're back.
Look friend, you're entitled to your opinion. And I can understand Gundam is not for everyone. But Gundam 0079 ushered a new age of anime (look it up), whereas your trigger\gainax shit is so heavily bastardized that it failed to produce offsrping. Granted, Evangelion is the outstanding exception to this, but there's a reason why we're celebrating 40 years of Gundam. The fact that you fail to grasp this rests entirely on you. It's funny, because you accuse others of not being able to delve into things beyond the superficial level, yet you committ the same mistake.

>still doesn't understand why Scifi used to be so common and why it is unlikely to ever happen again
Jesus Christ, brainlet.

>Aldnoah
Fuck, ill never stop being mad about this one. Fuck whoever wrote season 2. Cant remember the last time i saw so much wasted potential

No idea who you think I am but I'd prefer it if some fucking newfag wouldn't assume for other people to not know of 0079 historic relevance. Especially when it's irrelevant to the topic in question. Now stop being a newfag and go watch some anime.

I don't think it's consumer-driven, I think the people pulling the strings behind the scenes just don't want us thinking too much or too creatively about the future anymore
TV and movie sf became very bleak and hopeless for a long time before mostly dying out
I feel like they're just trying to demoralize us at this point

You keep avoiding my point but ok. You also keep making the same argument, which stems from fallacious assumption that people interact on the chans like they interact with friends or other people they recommend stuff to. Maybe once you broaden your perspectives you'll understand your mistakes.

>no patlabor
man...

>But Gundam 0079 ushered a new age of anime (look it up)
Not him but I'd say that it was Space Battleship Yamato and Leiji Matsumoto's other anime that ushered in this age, not Gundam.
I'm not denying how influential Gundam is, but Leiji's space operas in the mid-70s are the root of most sci-fi drama anime in the late 70s and throughout the 80s.

>Because mecha is a dead genre
We literally had at least 30 mecha related anime in 2018.

This is partly correct, certainly Matsumoto served as the catalyst. However the Shin Seiki Sengen declaration was prompted by Gundam. The influence of Yamato on Gundam is plain for all to see, fuck, it's one of my favorite anime. But it was Gundam that drove home the point. Kind of like the hussites and the Lutherans.

You didn't make a point. I've watched entire mecha shows for nothing but research purposes. I get that you're some double digit IQ redneck from the US, but please try to understand that the impact of a show on a given genre doesn't make it a good starting point to explore said genre. If you seriously believe the garbage you're spouting, then I fucking hope that you started your adventure into live action film by consuming expressionism and silent film prior you ever touching a single Hollywood flick. But I am sure we both know that you didn't. You're autistic, don't understand what an acquired taste is, and are completely detached from society and the average individuals priorities. Now please, go watch some anime you fucking newfag and be autistic on /m/.

>Scifi used to be so common and why it is unlikely to ever happen again

You just admit Sci-fi is common and it will return to the forefront again right?

Baitposting and Newfagging at it's finest.

You're making a lot of assumptions and ad hominems for no reason.

>the impact of a show on a given genre doesn't make it a good starting point to explore said genre
I never argued in favor of this. I understand that strawmen and random insults are a cool and hip way to get through a conversation, but you're literally arguing against a point that is not there. My mentioning of Gundam was related to the fact that most people who watch Gundam and recommend it find it good. You throw the word 'autist' a lot, but if you can't grasp this simple concept, the autist is you. I don't understand why you're having such an autistic fit, but then agan nothing that you brought up has had even a single shred of internal coherence. You rage at others for giving recommendations for things they liked, which apparently makes them autistic, then have a knee-jerk reaction when someone assumes something about you, just to make more assumptions in turn. I don't understand who shat in your cereals but perhaps if you bothered hearing out what people have to say you would look less autistic.

I have never recommended 0079 to people who didn't at least watch Code Geass and\or some AW Gundam series (my to-go rec is G Gundam, I like Imagawa, sue me). Much in the same way I never recommended Getter to someone who hadn't watched TTGL first. Here's a question for you, have you ever thought that maybe people on /m/ give out more obscure recs because they think people might've already watched the more mainstream series? Not that being mainstream is bad, mind you.

>the eternal gainax/trigger Jew
Fuck this board. This right here OP is an example of a normalfag. doesn't appreciate fun classics, won't read a god damn Mecha manga, never got a Mazinger toy for christmas, would rather play that shitty ttgl nintendo DS than armored core or front mission and probably already pre-ordered that KLK game too like the faggot he is. He is the gainax/trigger shill, when a normalfag asks him for recs, instead of telling his fellow redditor friends to fuck off and lurk some more, he will rec his shitty favorite gainax™/trigger™ show. Pathetic

It was the big thing when it came out among normalfags because of Urobuchi and the director's previous work.
Plus Aniplex's usual shilling.

Attached: Stick to Aldnoah Zero faggot.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

You’re only reinforcing his post.

Even here on Yea Forums many years ago, the original Gundam was considered essential viewing regardless of your stance on mecha. Admitting that you didn't watch the original Gundam meant nobody was going to take your opinion on anime seriously.

>no reason
If you can't understand the average person's preferences then you are autistic. If you give a recommendation based on nothing your personal preferences then you are autistic. Those aren't assumptions, they are facts. A well adjusted individual doesn't need to know the other parties life story to propose a reasonably accurate recommendation. And a well adjusted individual would also never recommend 70s/80s television mecha to someone who doesn't already show interest in exploring the subgenre beyond surface level.

>have you ever thought that maybe people on /m/ give out more obscure recs because they think people might've already watched the more mainstream series? Not that being mainstream is bad, mind you.
We both know that's not the reason. People on /m/ have a hateboner for many normalfag mecha shows. They don't assume that you've already seen all modern anime, or do you seriously believe that they think that the average begger has seen Bones' entire catalogue?

I only watch mecha with all cute girls. Where do I fit in?

Attached: 1556910488365.png (1280x720, 1.58M)

/trash/ and 'reddit'

The surface level of mecha is in the late 70s and early 80s.

>he’s still unironically reposting over 4+ year old dead memes that were made purely for flamewar shitposting bait
Why does /m/ always without fail attract autism of this severity?

Do you get off on shamelessly lying about pointless shit like that? Take it from someone that has liked 0079 for over a decade.

>Autism is suddenly a bad thing
Nu Yea Forums everyone

1st season was kinda good tho, it was well recieved even here on Yea Forums

second season however...

I don't think you understand how time and trends work.

>People on /m/ have a hateboner for many normalfag mecha shows.
I am willing to concede this point, /m/ tends to hate popular/financially succesful stories for no reason other than them being popular. Having admitted this, the rest of your post is still tremendously disingenuous, even net of your pointless name-calling and increasing levels of unwarranted anger.

I know very well that the average person likes shonenshit, for instance. Naruto, OP, BNHA are best selling series, without needing any social skill you can simply infer that you're more likely to encounter a fan of one of those anime than a fan of -say- Dougram. But had you paid any attention to my post at all, you would have noticed that my to-go recommendation is Gundam G, which is pretty in line with shounen tropes. As you said, a well adjusted individual can propose accurate recommendations. Now, of course I mentioned my personal preferences: if you haven't liked something, it'll be hard for you to recommend them. But we're assuming that the person giving out the recommendation is talking to someone who is genuinely interested in receiving it. Tell you what, I have had a lot of luck recently recommending the latest Mazinger show (2009), while I recommended Ideon to a friend of mine who's more into obscure stuff and he really enjoyed it. Perhaps you shouldn't be so mad at words on the internet.

The variety that /m/aggots suffer from is incredibly bad

Most normalfags who get into anime only watch the most popular stuff and whatever flavor of the season is airing, so why would they bother to check out series from the 70's or 80's that usually have 40+ episodes.
Also mecha is kind of a niche inside a niche, you'd be surprised at the amount of people who actually don't give a shit about giant robots.

>Where do I fit in?
Mecha and Yuri always work perfectly you'll fit in here nicely. Also looking forward to Granblem this summer.

>Where do I fit in?
with /m/ of course

Attached: m recommendation.jpg (1320x2960, 2.54M)

The mecha scenes of code geass only detracted form the storytelling change my mind.

Based and also new Mai Hime series when?

this

It's wrong type of autism, and that has always been bad. These people aren't autistic in the sense that they actually explore things thoroughly. They are autistic in the sense that they simply refuse to accept their own inability to understand society while hating thier own hobby.

>my to-go recommendation is Gundam G, which is pretty in line with shounen tropes.
And G Gundam is old. It's 25 fucking years old, in fact. Most drones will call it ugly because it looks old. That's something you can easily anticipate. People who watch BnHA will not want to watch cel-animated 480p Naruto, either. They are used to digital animation they can access on Crunchyroll.

>assuming that the person giving out the recommendation is talking to someone who is genuinely interested in receiving it
That would be the case if they were talking to someone whom they know. But they are asking a board of different people, most of whom are gonna tell them that the anime they've seen so far are shit. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the drones. You've seen TTGL or Evangelion. They are incredibly polished. They are 26 episodes in length, too. Now someone tells you that both these shows, both of which you've enjoyed, are actually shit and that you should watch this [50 episode show of your choice with mediocre animation even for its time, maybe even hardlocked at 480p] instead. They won't be grateful, they'll shake their head and move on.

mecha has been dead for a WHILE, I don't remember the last mecha show I really enjoyed, Probably Gridman/Cross ange, Japan just has no creative energy for a good mecha show these days its all the same recycled garbage but with a little twist that is irrelevant.

Attached: 1529819204576.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

In an alternate universe, it was Evangelion that faded into obscurity with time while Nadesico became the timeless mecha commentary classic.

Attached: [Nii-sama] Kidou Senkan Nadesico - 10 [1080p][BD][HEVC][10bit][AAC].mkv (00.10.42.642).jpg (1440x1080, 1.58M)

Fafner's still going really strong and gradually gets better with each new installment.

Maybe in that universe Nadesico was actually good too.

You mean Yea Forums liked it.
Second season was the same as the first, but everything was just worse.
From what I remember, the main character had no personality(except he liked eggs), was a highschooler but became better than any solider in that anime from the first episode.
Everyone else was made stupid so they could show how genius was MC.
Almost every episode had the same structure, lot of exposition followed by mecha fights where the terrians had troubles then Inaho comes to save the day with Sawano classic epic music playing in the background, add to that some few cheap intense scene to keep the viewers that has no repercussions like that martian girl trying to kill the princess/episode 12 itself where everything went back to normal next episode.

Fuck off Lelouche

>TTGL
>polished
how can that turd be polished? even the average normalfags had to skip a lot of poorly written/animated episodes. you fucking newfags need to stop posting and just go back to /r/eddit

>And G Gundam is old. It's 25 fucking years old, in fact. [...]
I cut the rest of your message for brevity. You make a good point here. Yes, people prefer digital animation nowadays, which explains the luck I am having with Mazinger. But the people I've shown G Gundam too, no matter how normalfag they are, all liked it and gave it a shot. If you think about it the animation is not much worse\more dated than Cowboy Bebop, which still enjoys a lot of popularity among normalfags.
> But they are asking a board of different people.
I have personally never seen rec threads on /m/. What happens is that interested people pop up and ask 'should I give [X] a spin?' and the fans direct the newcomer to waht they think is the best way to enjoy the show. At this point it's safe to assume that it's the people asking for recs who are showing interest, so we are not in the context of the clueless newfag. Or does this line of thought not convince you?
>most of whom are gonna tell them that the anime they've seen so far are shit.
And that's never a good thing, we can agree on this.
>Try to put yourself in the shoes of the drones.
Easy there with this argument, because it's the same thing that /m/fags say: they talk about how polished the product is, or how high the production values are. The issue here lies somewhere else, and you had already identified it: people are wary about old animation.

But I think we're getting sidetracked here: what attracted my attention to your post is that you said 'people will pretend that [X] is good'. If you believe this to be true unironically, you might be the autist after all: people don't recommend things they dislike. No one is trying to trick anyone else when they recommend them GaoGaiGar, but good God was it a pain to watch. The bottom line here is that if you want good recs, you go on a board in which you can get a rec. Yea Forums still keeps recommending boku no pico, /m/ at least has the decency of telling you what they find interesting.

> They won't be grateful, they'll shake their head and move on
That is a very unfortunate outcome user, and it can happen regardless of how good your recommendation is or how tailor-made it is. You accept this risk, of course, or you simply decide not to give recs at all.

>Think i hate mech anime because they're all so fucking boring
>Watch the Mazinkaiser 3 part special thing with the 2 edge friend bros.
>What the fuck this is amazing!
>Watch Mazinkaiser Getter and G Gundam
>Watch some of Gaioking

Why did mech anime have to turn to such shit? The fucking Mazinkaiser movie was crap too. I sorta like the new Origin story Gundam anime but its so much talking about nothing.

Fafner's an exception, not the standard. But people really overrate Exodus just because of how bad post-2000 mecha tends to be.

I hate to say it but even shrimpy was better than some of the shitposters spawned from /m/ in recent years, though I don’t think anyone will ever top Doug.

youtube.com/watch?v=3vSqgo6HFUw
>I like Gundam of any flavor
Faggot.

Who?

SKL was lots of fun, yeah
Oh fuck it, SKL Thread then? I'll post some actual music from SKL (the one you posted is from the Mazinkaiser OVAs)
youtube.com/watch?v=S5o0KaXDlzY
Also yeah I like Gundam, fight me.

>Doug
You mean ACfag?

>Or does this line of thought not convince you?
It does, but as far as I am concerned rec threads pop up every now and then and, even if they aren't on /m/, they might be on Yea Forums. These sort of "watch X first because it's what A-D were inspired by"-recs happen all the time, and they are usually mecha related. Now, I am not saying that this line of criticism applies to every single poster, but what matters is the impression the begger gets. And there must be a reason why so many people consider mecha to be trash, despite the subgenre sporting many of anime's biggest accomplishments of all time. Be it in the storytelling or animation department. Which brings us back to the general attitude. When someone spams "PANDORA AOTY" every day, that's not something that leaves a positive impression I reckon.

>people don't recommend things they dislike
And, as we've already established in the past, that's a problem. Especially since we both agree that /m/ is overran by people who have an unreasonable amount of hatred for most things even remotely popular. If you were to ask me: You don't need to like something to recommend it. I can dislike something and still acknowledge its qualities and understand why other people would like it.

Mazinkaiser is league’s better than the trashfire that was SKL, and even that isn’t saying much.

Yes

I dunno. I remember a time where not thinking giant robots fighting is a cool concept for a show would get you labeled as "fucking gay."
the zeitgeist changed, and for the worst. I think it might be some sort of berenstein bears parallel universe thing.

It changed when mecha became fucking gay

>SKL
based

Attached: 10-supportive-things-to-say-to-bisexuals-7.jpg (290x211, 17K)

>And there must be a reason why so many people consider mecha to be trash, despite the subgenre sporting many of anime's biggest accomplishments of all time
My experience (which means fucking nothing, mind you), tells me that a lot of people have a twisted conception of mecha. They believe all mecha to be essentialy robottomono à la Nagai. It's precisely because people set their own bar so low that a lot of new mecha fans quickly become enthusiastic, because they get so much more than they thought they'd bargained for. Of course, as we pointed out before, this happens in a climate in which you are not a sodomite just because you enjoy Gainax shows. It also happens at the point in your journey through the medium in which you wish to give something unconventional a try. It sure won't work on BNHAtards, but then again it's unfair to expect anything of them at all.

>And [...]that's a problem.
I disagree with this. People will always recommend and praise more the shows they liked. We can't tell people to stop liking things, but we can tell them to acknowledge that entry level anime like Gurren Lagann exists for a reason.

yeah, 12 years ago.

Regarding Gundam in particular, I had always avoided Gundam because everybody said it was strictly for autists, but I tried out Unicorn a while back and loved it. I watched Origin right after that and I thought it was one of the best things I've seen in years, then I watched Thunderbolt which was weird but fun and definitely worth watching
So as a relatively recent new fan of Gundam I'm really impressed with it, I feel like even the most casual viewer who liked Star Wars or whatever would like Gundam a lot too if they watched the same stuff I did
The biggest hurdle is just deciding to try out watching a show about giant robots, they're enjoyable enough to suck in a casual watcher after that

>but we can tell them to acknowledge that entry level anime like Gurren Lagann exists for a reason
It doesn't matter what "we" do. The problem is that this hatred for actual entrylevel shows (read: no old anime) is so ingrained in /m/ that it will forever linger in the shadows, no matter what what anyone does.

Another guess is that newfags (and ironic weebs by extension, although I'd consider most of /m/ to be part of that group) hate mecha because the vast majority sports CG, and the ones that don't have barely any animation worth noting. However, that'd leave the question why most of Bones' shows are as unpopular as they happen to be. Personally, I am not sure why people hate mecha. Either because they consider them toy commercials, because of /m/, because they simply consider robot silly, becuase of CG, or a combination of all the above. It's not like other (sub)genres produce quality content all the time.

And those are some of the least Gundam entries in Gundam history. So don't get your hopes up. Gundamfags call Unicorn trash and an insult to the UC timeline, (rightfully) refuse to acknowledge Origin as canon, and will make fun of you for "le jazz".

My initial reaction is that I probably wouldn't recommend anything if someone is only interested in watching newer shit. Maybe Eureka 7 but even that's 14 years old at this point. But I'm not going to recommend stuff I don't like to anyone, regardless of if I think the person would like it or not. Do you actively recommend stuff you don't like to people who ask? Because to me that sounds pretty shitty. I've never been in a position where I value the opinion of someone so much that I tell them to watch what I consider trash so they don't come back and say they didn't like what I recommended.

>Unicorn, Origins, Thunderbolt
I think Thunderbolt is generally well liked but you mention Star Wars, and I imagine saying you like Unicorn and Origins is like someone saying they loved Star Wars episodes 1-3. They're usually considered insults to the franchise. I'm conflicted on Unicorn in particular because I think the story is completely retarded but it's still fun to watch. It's more a guilty pleasure than anything. Though I don't know how Unicorn is coherent if you haven't watched 0079 through CCA.

Attached: GundamMineva.jpg (1920x1072, 545K)

Fucking Cowboy Bebop is a glorified toy commercial. That argument means nothing.

Episode four is the only episode people consistently skip, and that episode was essentially a freak accident that isn't indicative of the rest of the series whatsoever.

*sips tea* Kannazuki no Miko, now that was a good mecha anime

Attached: 1531189672138.jpg (609x353, 83K)

*sips tea* Mai Hime, now that was a great mecha

Huh, I get that. I bet if I had never seen the original Star Wars trilogy I probably would have thought the prequel trilogy was pretty cool because, like, lightsaber duels and space battles are fun especially if you're new to them and I wouldn't care about it contradicting the previous canon or being a disappointing followup to something I had never seen.
Watching Unicorn having never seen anything else in the UC felt like there were a lot of references I was missing, I looked up a bunch of shit between episodes, but like you said, it's fun to watch, there's just a lot of good action scenes and slick animation in all the Gundam stuff I've seen and the stories at least feel like they're part of a huge and rich setting even when they might fall a little flat on their own terms sometimes
I'm usually in the hardcore old fan role with stuff like this, it's weird being a filthy casual who doesn't know enough to be bothered by canon-raping reboots for once

Mecha is an especially autistic part of an already autistic hobby.

Mecha is for manchildren. To like mecha you need to either be a manchild, be German or be Japanese. The Germans and Japanese can be forgiven. They are autistic technology nerds by nature. They can't help it. It's a birth defect. The manchild has no reason to be one, though.

>NGE is a mecha
Why is it that every mecha fan I meet irl is absolutely fucking retarded. One of my roommates regularly tries to convince me that most people like NGE for the robot fights the way he did, and that NGE and TTGL were good for all the same reasons.

>1st season was kinda good tho
No

>Cross ange,
Opinion discarded

If NGE isn't mecha, then neither are VOTOMs, Layzner, SDF and many other. Most mecha shows never actually focus on the robots. The robot is merely a plot device.

Normalfags aren't into anime as a whole either. Expecting them to be into a genre that is even niche to anime fans is retarded.

>this anime that has giant robots isn't a mecha show because it isn't mindless robot battles all the way through
People that say Eva isn't mecha have zero experience with the genre.

Attached: 1433834246605.jpg (500x375, 28K)

It feels like classifying Catch 22 as a war novel.

So my guess is you're neither German nor Japanese. Such a pity, manchild.

I'm both
:^)

Yuri and Mecha will usher in the new age of mecha.

The actual good shows are long or hard watch at good quality/stream legally

and thats a good thing

who said that

I love Sumika!

Attached: 1555214237185.jpg (933x718, 284K)

Who Fafner here

Attached: アニメ「蒼穹のファフナー THE BEYOND」 PV.mp4_snapshot_03.19_[2018.05.13_19.47.26].jpg (1920x1080, 859K)

Simoun was great!

Mecha isn't even a genre, it's a theme.

Any good mecha with Human sized mechs?

>Liking Trigger/Gainax shows

Eww
fucking subhumans

Go watch your new MCU film

Votom's mechs I think are a little larger than humans. They're at least not as big as most other mech series. That's the only one that comes to mind. Gundam, Macross, and most other big mech series have larger mechs. Though not as large as something like Eva. Just looked some up and Votoms mechs around around 3 meters. The one Gundam I looked up was 22 meters. Evas iirc are 50+ meters.

>Why can't normalfags into mecha?
I hated mecha until last summer when I started UC Gundam.
I was apprehensive to watch mecha because I thought that mecha were lame, and hilariously unrealistic. I also assumed that fights would be less personal and less intense because they were fighting in these giant machines, rather than up close and personal.
But I heard that UC Gundam had some best stories in anime, so I went through 079 and Zeta which led to me realizing that I actually like mecha.
So I'd say that the barrier to entry would be realismfags who'd assume that the combat would be lame and less personal. It also has that childlike stereotype due to series like Transformers and Voltron

if they're human sized, it's pretty much just power armor or tokusatsu at that point, isn't it?

>But I heard that UC Gundam had some best stories in anime
PFHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

It's accurate. I don't like mecha but watched all these. I watched Gundam 00 and Macross, didn't like them. I've tried to watch Patlabor like 20 times and always fall asleep.

Aldnoah was fucking garbage though.

The mecha board is useless. /m/ should be renamed for models and figs so we can get that buyfag thread off this board and not have to go to /jp/ either.

gundam seed is the greatest mecha show

Not even the best post-2000 Gundam series.

patlabor really isnt mecha

Mecha goes beyond normalfaggotry, it takes a very certain type of autism, much like train simulator or speedrunning, to enjoy it.

Mecha is very bad for escapist fantasies because it either is too fantastical or too realistic. It doesn't lend itself to the current culture. Mecha is also filled with unrewarded suffering, another bane to the modern anime fan.

Consider something like Votoms, where the main character despite literally killing God is denied his happy ending by the authors own hand.

Consider Giant Gorg, where the ending is literally all the characters returning to mundane life.

Consider Fafner, which is slow long descent into humanity's self destruction while still holding onto hope EVEN DURING A DEATH MARCH ACROSS CHINA DURING WINTER

Consider fucking Gundam, where Amuro's reward that he has everyone in White Base, is taken away from him in Zeta, where the government literally puts him in isolation for 7 years because they don't want him stirring up shit

Most mecha are bleak and the ones that get popular are because they pander to losers who want to self insert into the protagonist and fuck the girl of their choice, like TTGL or Evangelion

Attached: Reaction (45).gif (91x150, 483K)

Falseflag harder next time, loser

It's not a false flag. It's genuine mental illness.

>my first gundam watch ever is unicorn and origin
How do I even engage?

Mecha is honestly really lame to me. The only anime I could look past it was eva. I guess because the mechas felt more "alive" and had a mystery behind them. Dropped code geass because of mechas.

>Mecha is honestly really lame to me. The only anime I could look past it was eva
Have you ever watched the fucking first Gundam holy fucking shit

Attached: dvASs3.png (1492x1080, 950K)

Have of /m/ hasn't watched it, and it's a crying shame.

Mobile Suit Gundam is an amazingly good show.

>Have you ever watched the fucking first Gundam holy fucking shit
I have not.

Attached: downloadfile.gif (440x248, 243K)

I will defend 0079 until the end of my life, fucking newfags and vapid zoomers

Attached: MmKQ0ySu8S.jpg (1440x1080, 175K)

Yeah shit that's what I meant. More like power armor or rigs than gigantic robots.

Arrivederci, frog

Attached: x6yVYk.png (1492x1080, 1.22M)

Only the top 3 are good and only because there not even truly Mecha.

Mecha is a garbage genre for garbage people.

>isekai harem is a garbage genre for garbage people.
ftfy

>Dropped code geass because of mechas
How do you manage to fuck up so badly?

Attached: 1525207863799.jpg (1000x1000, 123K)

Can someone explain to me how "mecha" is even a genre? A genre of media can't be described entirely by a certain object or type of object present in them. What actually happens in the story though? What's the tone? Is it about action battles? Romance? Drama? Politics? Psychology? Horror? Adventure?

The fact that there are mecha shows about all those different possible subjects and tones, yet they are all sweepingly classified as "mecha" is stupid. What if all anime with swords in them were called "sword anime" huh? Why isn't "sword" a genre?

Attached: 1543461559786.png (864x720, 536K)

I liked M3 the dark metal a lot.

Attached: 1349757476852.jpg (425x415, 59K)

Battle anime is a genre though and that's pretty vague too. Mecha isn't really just classified by having mechs though. You're right that "having mechs" is kind of vague but mecha series tend to follow their own things and be somewhat similar. Some do stray but if a show is mecha you can generally imagine it's about fighting with those robots to some extent. And they're usually sci-fi too/involve space. I don't know how mecha is any less vague than "psychology" or "adventure" though. Those are usually aspects of a series but don't define it in its entirety.

Explain how Isekai is a genre

Because Code Geass was the only mecha series ever created with even a hint of being original

Mai Hime had much more originally than Code Geass.

bait harder

It fucking _is_ a war novel you absolute chump

What if I'm a normalfag who likes mecha and has watched those?

Who the fuck doesn't like Aldnoah Zero?
>Based autism protagonist
>Great mech designs
>Battles have more of a real war feel to them than a DBZ fight like some mech shows
>Great girls
The only let down is that fag Slaine and the generic peace princess plotline.

Based normalfags.

>M3
Not a title I expected to see in this thread.
Superb taste user.
Mecha isn't a genre, it's more of a setting element, a tag if you would. Not enough people seem to understand that fact.

>fucking newfags and vapid zoomers
Says the fucking newfag using Yea Forums lingo

Then you're from /m/

>fucking newfags
I bet if you had a list to track anime, you wouldn't break 250 completed, let alone 1000. So please refrain from calling others newfags.

Normalfags don't care for mechanical design and all of Gundam's competitors got killed off in the 90s.

Beyond "it's old and ugly", what's wrong or particularly autistic with 0079?