What happened to the feeling of late 80s to late '90s anime? The eroticism, the violence, the horror, the angst...

What happened to the feeling of late 80s to late '90s anime? The eroticism, the violence, the horror, the angst, the maturity, the unsettling, alien, and bizarre sense of the unknown, the magic, the characterization, and a darker kind of mono no aware that was in everything. It all just disapeared in the early 2000s. It almost seems as if the peak of 20th century anime (debatable) occurred when Gen X was coming of age, taking over the industry, and once the millennials started taking over, things changed completely. It was all replaced with what we have now. What exactly happened?

Attached: 01.jpg (1488x1080, 163K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bakabt.me
youtube.com/watch?v=LTOZhZSr6RY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Things got so bad people could no longer bear to see it.

Edginess gets tiresome

Watch mahou shoujo internet.

Otakus flooded the industry and censorship grew. physical medium became a non option and old masters quit and died.

If you look hard enough you'll find a lot of good edge today. know where to look.

hurt feelings

>What happened to the feeling of late 80s to late '90s anime
We still have children's toy advertisement action series and episodic series about little girls all the time, though?

>old masters quit and died
This happened

Rest in peace Kanada Yoshinori

Otaku happened.
Also JoJo pretty much is Ninja Scroll the series so I don't see what your problem is lmao

You haven't watched enough old shows.
>Otakus flooded the industry
This is a good thing

Attached: 1534925931578.png (929x713, 661K)

And moeshit doesn't?

Awful thing
otakus don't care about being good at art.
The aftermath of the otaku flooding in the 2000s is still not fully gone today.

>the maturity

Attached: laughing_mooninites.png (342x343, 180K)

Still more mature than moe, which is just Peppa Pig but for adults.

>Peppa Pig

I don't even know wtf that is.

look harder
it exists

Attached: 1552859095244.jpg (596x500, 57K)

Kek.

>What happened to the feeling of late 80s to late '90s anime?
It's much rarer to have storytelling anime since many anime story arcs are set down to last 12 episodes. This fits into what is known as a cour and is good for promoting the sales of merchandise and anime licensing contracts with tie-in promotions.

Because many anime shows now are biased towards selling merchandise, this limits their story length to 12 episodes instead of the 24 to 48 episodes those old time shows would have. The need for shows longer than 12 episodes is not all that necessary since goods sales reach saturation once all the people that would see and buy anime goods have seen the show. Only if the show is excessively popular or there are sponsors willing to underwrite the anime production costs upfront does it get more seasons.

>What happened to the feeling of late 80s to late '90s anime?

Hikaru no Go:
bakabt.me

You know when people use "30-year-old boomer" they're referring to posts like this, right?

The grindhouse Japanimation aesthetic was a specific product of anything goes OVAs. Outside of GitS, these were hyper-niche shows. They seemed bigger because Gen X weebs imported them for the same reason Ren and Stimpy existed. Also because you were twelve.

>This is a good thing
No it isn't

Edginess never gets tiresome, it only motivates authors to take their work more seriously and rise the quality of writing.
Just look what happened to Berserk when it did the exact opposite of this. It was once a masterpiece of writing solely due to edgy writing and mindset, and now since the author was always a massive hack only riding the edge-popularity train of the 90's, it turned to moe shit once edge was no longer the mainstream. It only goes to show you that what OP describes does indeed demand quality of writing and genuine thought to even exist and usually results in highly regarded works of art, whereas everything with an easygoing tone and moe faggotry is a train-wreck of cheap schlock.

Shill your scam somewhere else, fag

>ever getting tired of this

Attached: nako-chan.webm (1280x720, 1.67M)

Give me at least 5 examples of what you're describing.

I'm 34 years old and I've never felt nostalgia for old anime. I watched the anime I wanted to watch then, I watch the shows I find entertaining now, and that's it.
Well, there is something I miss and that's shows having 24-52 episodes. I don't like how seasonal anime tends to be 12-13 demos / advertising for something else. That's all the length of my complains.

It's almost like there was this seismic shift in Japanese society caused by an economic collapse that shifted the monetary and entertainment concerns of the country.

Attached: 1254832343775.gif (142x231, 94K)

Nah, it totally was all the anime, videogames, music and movies creators / developers having a meeting on December 31st of 1999 inside a dark castle and deciding to destroy entertainment forever to please Satan.

user, watching Japanese cartoon doesn't make you a mature person no matter how many edges the show presents

Are there still any good recent shows with eroticism? I'm curious

Only brainlets are getting tired of cuteness.

He means Akira, Ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, poltlabor, md geist etc

What he doesn't understand is that there were tons of "moe shit" anime back then as well as stuff that was just for kids he just has more exposure to anime now.

None. It's mostly just fetishism these days.

"Otaku" culture is pretty much normalised now, peoples mums and their 5 year olds are watching anime today

It's not just that as well, some of shows today that come about only air about 5-10 minutes

These

Life sucks and it's gonna get much worse.

bump

The Japanese suffered from a horrific economic crash in the early 90's and haven't really recovered from it.

I would argue that all of that were products of their time, yet at the same time one has to remember original OVAs were targeted toward niche audiences and that even in the past, gratuitous eroticism, violence and horror weren't mainstream, or if such elements were included, were tomed down enough for general audiences.

What millennials produce will surely be a reflection of the times they grew up in as well as the media they consumed, and will surely in turn create media they felt was lacking or failed to scratch certain itches or even twisting concepts that had grown familiar while adding their own morals and beliefs into the work to make it new. With new guidelines, tools, and restrictions placed on creators, some things just cannot be replicated by newer generations as well.

That would make for a great edgy anime plot, where the protagonists must kill their creators to save anime.

Include three scenes where girls get raped and brutally murdered, useless Christian symbolism, and make the MC a fucking asshole and we'll make gold if this were the mid-90s.

the rise of moeshit is what the rise of movie games are for videogames, not only is it much more thoughtless and effortless to produce endless fanservice and simple cute designs and generic storylines but it also sells much better than shows/games that require any sort of attention from the viewer/player. nobody really bothers with reading lines and lines of complex dialogue or difficult gameplay that requires you to learn how to play

basically this only deluded retards will disagree with this fact

Attached: moe killed anime.jpg (852x2269, 496K)

anime got better

Attached: 1555071863279.jpg (663x899, 163K)

You watched one or two popular anime from the 80s and 90s and then stopped watching anime and started immersing yourself in internet memes about anime instead. That's probably what happened.

Otaku are the ones who were making those 80s and 90s OVAs and movies that people jerk themselves off to.

Moeshit doesn't exist.

Merchandise is a bogeyman and the only reason it's considered such a problem and so scary is because Americans still haven't gotten over the trauma of 80s toy commercials that they themselves made.

>mono no aware
go back to your shitty anime blog nobody reads

enjoying your latest moeblob show, friend?

Moeblobs don't exist.

based schizoposter

It is not schizophrenia to accurately state that something does not exist. If anything, that is the opposite of schizophrenia.

Genx was like 4 or 5 years old in 2000 since most of the time millennial is into the mid 1990s. They certainly weren't old enough to be influencing anime. Also, Japan doesn't play by our generational stereotypes. I'm not sure millennial or genx mean anything over there.

Anime nerds want uguu kawaii desu moeeeeeeee because they have to project and live in a fantasy land. Why I haven't watched anything since like 2009

You haven't watched anything since 2009 because anime doesn't interest you.

>tfw already seen the best stuff from all decades and now am strictly sticking with manga because anime as a medium is creatively bankrupt
seasonalfags will never understand

No im watching that gay anal show and its pretty good, its very kore wa homo as the intellectuals might say

You mean you watched Baby's First Starter Pack anime, and everything else you know about anime is memes like "creatively bankrupt" and "seasonal."

Watch every show in pic related and you've seen them all, meanwhile manga offers you so much more room for experimenting with different story elements. As I said, you seasonal and waifufags will never understand.

Attached: 1545609840197.jpg (2600x3860, 2.81M)

>late 90s
I think you mean mid 00s but whatever makes you sleep better at night you fucking retard

>Watch every show in pic related and you've seen them all
That's not true, the list is from 2011, and you're obviously motivated by pretentiousness and image rather than any genuine interest in anime.

>As I said, you seasonal and waifufags will never understand.
Seasonal and waifu are memes and don't mean anything.

Doesn't anime come from manga or LN's?

By ‘Merchandise’ do you mean light novels and manga? Because that’s what the anime industry is about today they are a slave to publishing companies. Anime is an inferior medium and with the rise of LNs especially they only exist to promote the source material, that is all.

Interesting thing is that nowadays you don’t even get much VN adaptions anymore either just LNs and Manga because that medium has stagnated, their companies are going bankrupt, writers switching to LNs and gacha.

All in all I think light novels and their trends have effected this medium considerably and even surpassed it in terms of popularity. They’re not as popular as Manga but it can’t even be compared to how it was let’s say even 10 years ago. Mainstream LNs trends have really taken over their sibling mediums.

Yes, but most of the time in the most butchered form possible.

It is nice to be so young and have such a small world that make you think a few dozen anime have already covered everything out there and fully filled your mind

>Claymore
>Read or Die
>Steamboy
>Mardock Scramble
>nothing from the 70s and barely anything from the 80s
This is perhaps one of the worst lists I've seen yet but whatever you want to use to make your retard point bro

>Anime is an inferior medium
No it isn't. It has color, motion, sound, voices and music.

>they only exist to promote the source material, that is all.
There are original anime every season, and it's a myth that adaptations only exist to promote source material.

recent original anime are absolutely terrible.
>it's a myth that adaptations only exist to promote source material.
You keep thinking that. Bet you also think BD sales matter now.

>recent original anime are absolutely terrible.
SSSS.Gridman, Zombie Land Saga, Revue Starlight, Planet With, Megalo Box, Sora yori mo Tooi Basho, Endro, Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai, Kemurikusa, Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara... none of these were terrible and many of them were excellent. I didn't like FranXX but a lot of other people did.

>You keep thinking that.
Because it's true. Publishers aren't the only ones on production committees, and publishers don't personally make the anime.

>Bet you also think BD sales matter now.
They do, and so does streaming.

Anime is generally the inferior medium because its just formulaic adaption of a superior presentation.
I mean, every Anime doesn't start as strong as Naruto or Nazca or Digimon.
Most are poorly paced adaption of manga, panel by panel. Some might get lucky enough to present a good OST alongside it. But most have poor animation quality, and it has gotten a lot worse since anime moved to Digital and 3D CG.
CG is generally fine, but a lot of studios have terrible taste and let it stand as a contrast to whatever is digitally drawn alongside it. But digital art is generally terrible due terrible color palette and gamma.

Like, every anime isn't at the same level as the 90s adaption of Berserk. Where superior electronica is used masterfully to compliment the extremely fluid animation.
Or the first anime season of One Punch man, where a lot works out despite the fact its drawing from 2 separate sources to work out the kinks it doesn't always work out.

Formulas are inherent to all mediums, and anime doesn't consist of just manga adaptations which you'd know if you actually watched anime instead of just repeating things you read on the internet.

>publishers don’t personally make the anime
Oh common they basically get to choose what to adapt and what to push for.
They get to choose which work of their various imrints can manage to get more readers and boost their constant reader base. They aren’t just thinking about the immediate profits but by increasing the standard reader base of certain works which can stick with them constantly as new volumes are being churned out for years.

My man you have no clue what you’re on about this medium has changed considerably after all these years yet here you are stuck in the 90s.

Publishers/production committees commission anime studios and anime freelancers to make the anime for them.

>the unsettling, alien, and bizarre sense of the unknown
You got used to it.

>My man you have no clue what you’re on about
No, that would be you. Like the vast majority of people in anime communities, you think listening to other people talk about anime is a perfectly fine substitute for watching and studying it.

That's a pretty self-defeating attitude. It wouldn't hurt to try. Not that I have any pull on what Japan decides to make.

But stating "Formulas are inherent to all mediums" is stating you have nothing to say.
Its a lot like saying movies are about characters moving on screen, and acting out the script.
Its meaningless babble to avoid having a conversation.

The now hotness this last part of the decade is that they do animation as a season. And then later(half a year, year) do another season.
Which is a start to remedy the pacing.
Another trend is that animation studios are slightly bigger. So they are at a size where they could want the toy/license money. So they are now producing more original IP instead of licensing that from Jump/anybody else/LN/Novel. The downside is that its often poorly thought out and rushed since its done more often instead of something like Samurai Flamenco or Martian Successor Nadesico where it just got its season and stuff because it somehow won the internal company writing bowl.

But i just think 'anime is terrible now' is a overstatement. There is a few terrible trends:
1. Otaku is now at the helms, where some have terrible taste
2. EVA aired 1995-1996, which meant low effort edge finally had a place in TV, and edgy teen anime finally had a big enough viewerbase. Which meant less OVA's
3. Jap economy isn't as great as it used to be. So less OVA and passion projects
4. Move to digital is generally terrible, because a lot of anime has terrible color palette. Its not as as bad for feature films, but for TV there isn't enough budget to draw everything properly.
5. Move to digital also means less waterpainted backgrounds, which is a great attraction.

hence why the anime industry is a slave to publishers.

You are still stuck in the past but so be it. Anime has become an inferior medium in terms of just the sheer amount of adaptions which is what we get nowadays and the few originals we get l like the ones you mentioned? Either mediocre or terrible he’ll just look at fairy gone which is airing right now.

>censorship grew
I don’t see much of a difference unless you’re talking about the JPTA’s antics.

But anons here are keep telling OP to watch more anime

No, it's just me stating a fact in opposition to your non-fact that formulas are some special evil anime invention.

>Another trend is that animation studios are slightly bigger. So they are at a size where they could want the toy/license money. So they are now producing more original IP instead of licensing that from Jump/anybody else/LN/Novel.
An original anime is not necessarily owned by the studio that produced it. Original TV anime started booming because of Evangelion, not because of toy sales which had already been the norm for decades prior.

>1. Otaku is now at the helms, where some have terrible taste
Otaku in the Western sense don't exist. They are a bogeyman.

Manga has always dominated TV anime. What's your point?

I'm not stuck in the past. It's in fact other people who are stuck in the past, because they think good anime stopped being made the second Toonami went on hiatus.

>and the few originals we get l like the ones you mentioned? Either mediocre or terrible
This is nothing but dogma. They are new, therefore they are bad. This is why you're living in the past.

>moeshit doesn't exist
>dis proves I'm not schizo
Hysterical.

Attached: 1515538905471.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

Explain why stating a fact would make me schizophrenic.

>Original TV anime started booming because of Evangelion
Yes
And toy sales/merchandise is the reason why it kept on going. Because being paid to make something vs making something and making merchandise is a pretty big economic difference.

>Otaku in the Western sense don't exist.
You could just have been a bit more blunt
And used words like
'Otaku do not exist, but 2nd generation anime watchers are now industry veterans'.

>Toonami
Go home US faggot

I’m talking about LNs as well though. They are the ones dominating right now along with the manga. And they are nothing but advertisement to sell their original source the light novels or even the manga adaption of the light novels.

Usually it wasn’t this extreme in the past but now that other publishers are popping up like say Overlap because of certain trends like Isekai and trying to capitalize on it and push for adaptions of absolute trash which won’t even be concluded ever. I’m just saying the LN publishing companies especially now are basically dictating the flow of what gets adapted sure there are original anime as well and some decent manga adaptions. But if you don’t see this trend I don’t know what to say. This medium was always like that but now it’s on the bottom side completely in the mercy of publishers.

Anime had been getting by on toy and model kit sales long before Evangelion, but today's character goods market didn't exist before Evangelion.

>You could just have been a bit more blunt
>And used words like
>'Otaku do not exist, but 2nd generation anime watchers are now industry veterans'.
The "otaku" that terrified Westerners keep hysterically babbling about are a product of their own imaginations.

>Go home US faggot
I never said I'm American, faggot.

>And they are nothing but advertisement
Again, this is a myth.

TV anime has always been heavy on adaptations, and since Evangelion there have been more original anime and original anime not based on toy/kit sales than before. Yet people think it's the other way around and that the further back into the past you go the more original anime and fewer tie-in products there are.

Not when it is Friday the 13th kinda gore.

But this not a myth explain for example how slime Isekai got a second season just as an example? A show that barely made like why 5k with bd sales but was killing it with LN and manga sales.
Just admit it how is it a myth it’s fucking common knowledge that the original source readers and to get more people to read original source is the reason these adaption like anime are getting made without ever concluding. Why is this so hard for you to see?

OVA's died and TV's censorship got more and more strict so you can't get away with nipples or gore as much as you used to.

Did they announce a second season? If so, it's because it sold well. Smartphone and Death March did not. Slime was also really well made. Smartphone and Death March were not.

>A show that barely made like why 5k with bd sales but was killing it with LN and manga sales.
5K is good.

>how is it a myth
I already answered this.

And again you are trying to walk past the point.
Because of EVA, more studios tried original TV anime.
Because of EVA, marketing for other studio's realized that there was more and larger demographics out there that would actually spend money on shows.
And because of EVA, there was suddenly TV anime in the gap between Seinen grimderp OVA and adaption of classic literature for children.

So all EVA really did, was making the Japanese marked aware that there was more demographics. Which meant more income since you could harvest the demographics for revenue. Which meant more anime, which again meant more corporations. Which again means more merchandising.
But since you keep using 'toy and model kit sales' as a argument, you are showcasing that you are ignorant about what merchandising is. Which means your argument is flawed and without much merit, sadly.

Thats also a weak argument.
OVA's died because EVA ended up tapping into what would normally have been a OVA marked. And as a TV series. Which means exposing the shows to more censorship or accepting that its going to air at a time of day where nobody will watch it.
And OVA's died because Jap economy is far more shit now. A lot of OVA where collabs/passion projects

5k isn’t enough to get a second season it’s not even enough to declare that it sold good. death march and smartphone werent’t that further behind however their original source boost or even how they were selling before the anime are in no way comparable to slime. This is one of the most obvious cases of why a work got a second season and it was because of the source material.
I’m done believe what you want.

This is a great list, but it's leaving out a lot of stuff. I would include at least Macross/Robotech, Macross Plus, and Revolutionary Girl Utena + the movie to this list if possible.

>OVA's died because Jap economy is far more shit now. A lot of OVA where collabs/passion projects
You do have point. But that is why i miss OVA's even as shitty it terms of story they most of time had it still had more passion and love put them into than 99% anime of today.

Eva also popularized the production committee model, took character merchandizing to a new level, and popularized late night anime that was soon driven more by video sales than ratings.

>there was suddenly TV anime in the gap between Seinen grimderp OVA and adaption of classic literature for children
That's existed since at least the 70s.

>But since you keep using 'toy and model kit sales' as a argument, you are showcasing that you are ignorant about what merchandising is.
I have showcased no such thing and I know more about this than you do.

5K is indeed enough for a second season in the anime industry, which is what we are talking about here. Death March and Smartphone were thousands behind.

An anime can get a second season because it boosted source material sales so much, but at the end of the day an anime has to get its money from somewhere.

80s-90s anime was not La Blue Girl, Urotsukidouji and Ninja Scroll. This reads like a zoomer who just watched a few OVAs and derived all his knowledge about that period from them, just like he pretends to know about the 80s from the retro neon synth aesthetic from the 2010s.

The majority of those OVAs are godawful products that relied on shock value with sex and violence and were marketed to edgy teenagers and young adults. They are the very definition of immature.

Not that this means anything, since any anime that doesn't appeal to Western tastes is considered to be without passion.

There were also many OVAs that didn't have anything to do with gore and sex. Or they were BL.

>It has color, motion, sound, voices and music.

You can imagine/associate these things yourself nor are they inherently better, look at the Junji Ito Collection for an example of how none of these things enhanced the original stories or even made it worse.

>relied on shock value with sex and violence
Well personally i fucking love that shit and 80s in general was full of that thanks to slashers being really popular.
>They are the very definition of immature
Now that is just not true. Sure they are not mature like OP is claiming but saying that you stop enjoying those kinda stuff after you have turned 25 is just stupid.

>That's existed since at least the 70s.
Not really user.
Pre and post EVA is the difference between something like Serial Experiments LAIN or Alien Nine airing on TV, or not doing that.
Or it being a OVA series, hentai, or direct to video TV series.

The decade after EVA was simply magical because there was a lot of poor copycats, either creating edgy shit or creating toyshit for adults.
I don't think something like Elfen Lied would have gotten what it got without EVA.

>since any anime that doesn't appeal to Western tastes is considered to be without passion
You do know that japs also like tons of western entertainment?

Lol, no it isn't, in society otaku are looked down on just as much now.

there's still a lot of this out there darling in the fraanx is an eva rip off and they really don't shy away from eroticism or the whole moral issues, goblin slayer has your gore, unsettling and morally complex fill, there are still ongoing manga's which are from that era of huge violence and bizarre commentary like beserk. I guess since anime stopped being a fringe interest it needed to cater to a wider audience so it had to produce more easily digestible stuff but the stuff you're into is still being made just not as frequently

>You can imagine/associate these things yourself
Yeah, if you jumped on board the manga superiority circlejerk bandwagon and now need to somehow desperately justify it.

Patlabor, Dear Brother, Kimagure Orange Road, Aim for the Ace, Rose of Versailles... yeah they were already there.

Yes, and I don't see how that's relevant to my point.

Your "otaku" do not exist.

>List pre EVA anime
>Its just niche stuff without any larger overarcing attempt at mainstream appeal
Oh wow user
You almost had a point, and then failed to argue for it.
WOW

Its a nationalism thing.
You do some foreign stuff because its 'weird' or 'foreign'.
And because its like that, it doesn't have to align with what the culture sphere expects a media product to be like.

Its one thing that good stuff is good. I.E Alien or Terminator. Or like Schwarzenegger in general. Or some of the better Hollywood movies.
But most of what is produced inside a culture tends to be mediocre. So its not worth bragging about if you left the culture sphere that kept it afloat.

What is 'your otaku'? I didn't give a definition so you are just assuming and bound to end up wrong. I am Japanese, on Japan amd have been going to events for many many years, I work partly in the industry and know many others either in the industry or who are huge fans. Otaku certainly exist and have no place in society unless they are somewhat high up in the industry. The regular person goes from school, study, club, friend and family time to job hunting, to job, overtime, friends, family, nomikai, etc... Absolutely no time to be an otaku or even a somewhat big fan. But the people outside of regular society who do have that time certainly exist, and a country in trouble certainly don't appreciate those with a penchant to not have a career or work at all, not have much chance to produce offspring, never develop into an adult and make others endure the bad manners, and so forth.

There was no late night anime back then, it was all regular television. Rose of Versailles for example is popular to this day, and even a show like Urusei Yatsura was mega popular. And why are you talking like shows like Serial Experiments Lain are mainstream?

There is no "my" otaku, there is only "your" otaku. It's something you have made up. There are no such people.

>Otaku certainly exist and have no place in society unless they are somewhat high up in the industry
This is complete nonsense.

Okay you clearly are either purposefully saying nonsense or not able to have discourse with others. I just made up the people I see pretty much every day and the perception of those actually in Japan and in the industry and completely wrong and you are right.

I don't care about who you claim to be on an anonymous imageboard widely known to be full of shit. I care about facts. And the facts say that your "otaku" construct is a work of fiction.

I’m sorry you’re so much of a jaded faggot that you’re unable to appreciate cuteness

Attached: D5AAD671-A3D7-412D-9D7A-091A0183AA8F.png (1539x1124, 628K)

But it is. I can get a laugh out of something like Mad Bull 34, but I will never be fascinated by it like a high school boy could. Any adult who enjoys things like that at face value, not as a comedy or in a nostalgic or ironic manner, has to be suffering from arrested development. It's like using the internet to look for gore pictures at 15 versus doing it at 30. One is an edgy kid going through a normal phase; the other is just a weirdo.

What if you like both?

You aren't speaking in facts, you have presented no argument as to how otaku do not exist. I do not like to make too many assumptions but you seem to not have any real idea of what you are arguing yet insist on making the argument and are completely wrong while completely for no good reason convinced you are right.

I hope your posting persona is also fictional and you're not actually this insufferable.

I never said they don't exist, I specifically said your idea of "otaku" is a fiction. Just because you can go on Wikipedia and point to an article about otaku doesn't mean that your vision of people that you have labeled "otaku" is based in reality.

Tell me what is so insufferable about caring about facts instead of things people claim about themselves on an anonymous site.

The economy and these things not actually being very profitable. There was so much money being thrown around at any old trash IP that expensive dark passion projects could be made. Then there was a crash and no money, so the industry went with projects that reliably profit, which was overwhelmingly moe, though it wasn't called that yet. As for cutesy light-hearted shit, how can you unironically think that wasn't king even then? Violent series and OVAs were always comparatively niche, the mainstream liked Doraemon and urusei yatsura and that trend never really changed to this day.

Ah yes, you are just incapable of discourse. I didn't state my definition of otaku, yet you seem to certain to just know, because you feel you are so intelligent that you would just know and have a better idea. Then you ramble about Wikipedia asserting that your mind is making up things for your 'argument'.

ITT Yea Forumsermin that hasn’t watched even 30 old series

Well i do find those kills in slasher movies funny but you are acting like you should not watch those kinda shows or movies because it is in your opinion it is immature. And what kinda anime or movie i should be like if not those?

I know because I've seen this a thousand times already. It's a shared delusion that people go around repeating because they heard it from others.

>Then you ramble about Wikipedia asserting that your mind is making up things for your 'argument'.
I did not "ramble" about anything. I used Wikipedia as an example to ilustrate something. Do you have some kind of obsession with Wikipedia? If so, it has nothing to do with this thread.

>Doraemon and urusei yatsura
One is kids show and other is hardly anything like anime nowadays. Lum for example is more demanding and not just another submissive moeblob like what you have nowadays.

Because you missed the point, again. Which is quite sad, really.
Post EVA you suddenly have weird shows intended for edgy teens or insecure young adults, on TV, as TV shows, with merchandise.
Eventually this trend dabbed off.

Before EVA you had OVA's and some movies going for this demographic. Where the length of the medium(40 minutes per OVA, 1-1,5 hours for movies) limited what the medium could do.
Post EVA these could be anime TV series. 12 episode TV series have 240 minutes of runtime, which is quickly 4 movies worth of content. Which means OVA content can't do the same impact or length compared to a TV series.
And unlike live action TV series, its not as budget constrained in the same way. Which means if there is some intent, something will look cool.

Lain is a good example of a post EVA series.
But another one is Berserk, which would not have aired if EVA did not show Japan that the demographic exists.

>Lain
>Mainstream appeal
You are trying to derail unsuccessfully again.
Line of thought is something like this
EVA -> Demographic suddenly exist -> More Studio's and anime -> Studio's produce OC to earn more money
EVA -> Adult TV series suddenly exists -> Berserk and LAIN gets made -> We get a entire decade of shows trying to copy EVA -> The trend eventually cools down -> We are here

Plz
I have friends like that. I pity them.

You said:
>there was suddenly TV anime in the gap between Seinen grimderp OVA and adaption of classic literature for children
There already was plenty of anime in that gap. That's just a historical fact.

>You are trying to derail unsuccessfully again.
Uh... you brought up Lain and you brought up mainstream appeal and you implied that Lain is mainstream. How in the fuck does that mean that I'm derailing the thread?

See? This is why you are bad at arguments.
Which is essentially either bad dyslexic, or not reading what is presented. And then failing to present any form of argument against that.

So:
WTF are you smoking.
The entire reason why Lain is brought up, and as it is presented: Its something that can't and won't be made before EVA changed the idea of TV anime demographics.
LAIN is not:
1. A adaption
2. Mainstream
3. Intended for children
4. A toyline
The entire point of post vs pre EVA is that you get shows that can suddenly not have any of these checkboxes, yet lands on TV, gets its episodes, sells some merchandise, and might be remembered in history.
======
=======
========
And that is EXACTLY the argument i made. What would have landed in OVA's instead lands in TV series.
========
=======
======
Which affects how its presented, since it affects budget per frame and runtime for presentation.
Which is why pre 2000s OVAs is very very different from post 2000s OVAs.

Which also brings along a few other side effects:
Because it gets to land in TV series,
the authors gets to mellow out,
and it gets far less edgy over time.
Therefore as we pass further and further from 1996, the more hyper edge OC content will mellow out.

Attached: NEON_GENESIS_EVANGELION.jpg (1000x750, 533K)

I never said that shows like Lain were made before Evangelion. I was responding to:
And the fact is that those shows already existed.

>And the fact is that those shows already existed.
And which you listed
>Patlabor,
>Dear Brother,
>Kimagure Orange Road,
>Aim for the Ace,
>Rose of Versailles
Which you haven't defended at all. In what way do these pre EVA shows stand between childrens cartoons, mainstream childrens cartoons and OVA hype grimdark?

Attached: 697_slide.jpg (475x238, 33K)

They very obviously disprove your claim. Kimagure Orange Road for example is no different from the late night romcoms of today. You have no business even talking about this if you don't know of any these anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=LTOZhZSr6RY

If you don't want to argue, thats fine.
But it won't convince people, or enlighten them of your opinion.
I guess i will be sad because you won't give me your actual opinion, and i won't get to savor it.

Attached: 3drend_asuka04.jpg (1024x1024, 500K)

You're delusional and arguing with your own false assumptions.

Thank you user. You have conviced and enlightened me with your opinions in this thread. Fuck moeshit, cheers!

Attached: snaildog.jpg (750x746, 455K)

What is there to argue about? You said X type of anime didn't exist before, but it factually did.

Projection.

What are you trying to say here? That Kimagure Orange Road doesn't exist?

Oh boy another "then good, now bad" thread! Just what I needed
>The eroticism, the violence, the horror, the angst, the maturity, the unsettling, alien, and bizarre sense of the unknown, the magic, the characterization,
Modern anime has all of this in spades, even moreso than retro anime. Nostalgiafaggotry only works when you actually know what you're talking about
>Muh millenials
Be honest, this is what you really wanted to post about

>then good, now bad
this, modern anime is soulless

>soulless
Meaningless buzzword.

No i was thanking user for opening my eyes

>You said X type of anime didn't exist before
Why are you bothering user?
You can't just repeat that, it won't make it any more true than claiming the sky is neon purple.
You need to argue it.

A more recent example would be Attack on Titan. Attack on Titan can't and won't be made as a TV series before 1996 because its:
1. Too gory
2. Too niche when the intended audience is children or toyline
3. Too deathy
4. It doesn't compress well at all, so it has no purpose as a OVA

You are welcome to reply with some variant of 'no, u' as you have. But that won't enlighten anybody, or do anything.

Attached: 1299263239970.jpg (1600x2000, 2.38M)

Again, what is there to argue about? I gave you examples of shows that are very obviously located in-between ultraviolent OVAs and children's shows. That you are completely unfamiliar with them just shows that you have no business talking about this.

It's "old good new bad", get it right

See?
This is the kind of 'No, u' kind of behavior you get called out for.
In this case i blame dyslexia on your part.

As sad as it is, you repeated yourself instead of making a argument.
Or presenting your previous line.

Attached: 1324207465657.jpg (539x720, 94K)

No, that's not "no u" behavior or anything even vaguely similar to it, that's me pointing out the fact that there's nothing to argue about. You cannot explain what there is to argue about, because there isn't anything to argue about. You said X didn't exist, I gave examples of X existing. The end. What are you still doing here?

See?
'No u'.

You don't even know what that means. Just like you don't know any of the anime I mentioned. You are embarrassing.

>Eva but no 0079
Every time

There are plenty of old anime to watch that you haven't watched, just like there are plenty of old video games to play that you haven't played.

Just because the industry is trending in a direction you don't like doesn't suddenly mean all the classics stop existing.

See, again?
Thats a "No, u".
That isn't a line of arguments. Thats merely a bunch of statements on a line, without any elaboration to give them weight.

May you have a good evening user.

Attached: 1295118353527.jpg (337x404, 29K)

There's also new anime to watch, but people never do. They just complain.

>Thats a "No, u".
No, it's not. A "no u" response would be something like this:
>you're the big gay
>no, you are

>That isn't a line of arguments.
There isn't any argument to be had and you have done nothing to show that there is.

Watch Ideon my dude.

Is this sarcastic? I feel like this is, because you stopped right in the middle of the moe boom

Its just a shitty recommendation thread disguised as a argument. Walk away, dont validate his laziness.

Bump

itt: moeshit is totally good guys

Ah, another "why is coming worse than it used to be?" thread.
Who knows. Everything is worse than it used to be.

>Coming
"X"

i regret posting this.

those threads are immortal

it's all perspective.

That's not edginess, user.

nothing wrong with moe.

Bump

>poltlabor

What is that, a work force of chickens?

Yeah, right.
you know more than miyazaki.
the industry was corrupted by ghosts
stupid.

Consider that in the mid 80s when dragon ball was airing on a the most popular family timeslot in a national station they showed nips, blood, and pantyshots.
To keep the same timeslot dragon ball kai had to remove blood and obscenities, and super had to replace roshi's nosebleeds with smoke puffs.

Look up japanese tv censorship laws. most anime has to be on specialized stations in weird timeslots to even air in japan.
with physical media almost gone they have to oblige to some bs censorship.

sex appeal but specifically targeted at the men who are being disenfranchised out of modern japanese society, so money

also I feel like laziness and technology are also factors, it's easier to draw moeblobs with cgi added instead of the intricate anime back then

Please tell me that's photoshopped...

Moeblobs don't exist

What's wrong user? Can't appreciate a good snaildog?

broken record

hello can anyone who watched Lain remind me what "subtle hacker trivia" was present in the anime? thanks

Everytime I look at a rec chart I wonder why it's always the biggest newfags who make them. Are the people who make rec charts usually located on the Dunning Kruger mountain of retards?

Got that without the photoshop?