Digital processing

How much is too much?

Attached: 1543460589359.jpg (700x847, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/George_Mather/Documents/BlurProject.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Left looks much better. Putting a little filter to make Violet stand out from the background would be fine but right is overkill.

The show look like shit thanks to those instagram filters. What the hell were they thinking?

Left looks better as a picture, right looks better as animation

Non-art fags will never understand

>soul/soulless
I hate when memes become the reality.

Left is great
Right is instagram shit

TPBP

>put in effort
>blur it all

Attached: for_what_purpose.jpg (476x492, 125K)

>FXAA on
>Depth of Field on
>Bloom on

>I just spent 20 hours animating these background characters in this 5 second cut. What's next director-san?
>BLUR IT

Based.

Attached: autism.jpg (696x300, 219K)

You have to understand that at this point Kyoto Animation NEEDS the heavy post processing to hide the sloppy work of their animators.

Attached: Violet's QUALITY face.jpg (5112x3920, 3.18M)

mat_fullbright 1 vs mat_fullbright 0

>Non-art fags will never understand
Hope you're not referring to KusoAnus drones as artfags.

Attached: 1538220178331.jpg (2532x2723, 2.03M)

old bait is old

Attached: this kills the haters.webm (1920x1080, 2.46M)

Wa la

Don't you dare to drag my wife into this

Attached: 1cdowfh.jpg (1920x1080, 95K)

Christ, that looks even worse than the picture in OP.

>draw detailed frame
>Destroy most of the detail with a filter

There is a delicate balance to strike. In your pic it's 'too much'.

In a way, people who say KyoAni doesn't animate but brings a video camera into the 2D world are right. They don't really plan out their shots or cut out noise like a film would. All they do is create the scene and let post-processing do the rest.

I am a fan of digital effects but this simply is too much.

It amuses me how the people who obviously did not watch the show try to act concerned about its "quality" without getting any of the context and reasons for the specific scenes look.

Right looks like a freshman shooting their first university class project. It reminds me of all the photography kids at my highschool overusing the fuck out of bokeh and faded lighting back in the day.

Attached: blog-img1-how-to-take-bokeh-effect-photos-with-honor-10.jpg (1567x1175, 245K)

Damn, so KusoAnusfags have reached the quintessential boomer state now. Accuse people of not having seen something to "win" the argument.

I like Kyoani's animation and art but I do wonder why they choose to blur unimportant things away instead of framing the scenes in such a way that the audience will focus on what's important.
I understand the intent I just don't like how they're going about it.

If you did not watch the show, you did not watch the show. There is no point for any further argumentation since whatever conjuctures you take are all false by default.

>blur
Check
>bloom
Check
>chromatic aberration
Check
>shaky cam
Check
>depth of field
Check
The recent Kyoani output is repulsive to look at.

Attached: 1495466890926.jpg (1920x1036, 274K)

Well, you just answered to your own question. The point was literally to tell that everything else was unimportant.

Thanks for proving my point

Anime has looked just fine for decades without blurshit filters. Don't you dare try and act superior because you prefer to emulate reality instead of maximizing the potential of imagination.

>question
He didn't pose a question, mongrel. He said that what they do is terrible and shows that they are incompetent.

is this really unedited?

The whole movie looks like that.

Holy fuck. Film emulation is such cancer and it needs to end.

People like you will never understand art. KyoAni really is the biggest plebfilter there ist.

That's not what he said, and his comment was legitimate but didn't show anything about KyoAni.

Emulating reality is the lowest common denominator of art. Kyo may have some stellar animation, but that aesthetic is abysmal.

Shaft is better at this. Look at bake or kizu.

Attached: Saberclone a shit.jpg (491x450, 62K)

>Bergman vs anime
How did it happen

It looks gaudy as hell

>Be Japanese animator
>Work 18 hour a day
>for no money, just honor
>boss say you draw this scene in great detail
>you do good shading, lots of line and color, background characters with distinct features
>work hard, don't see family, can barely sleep or eat
>manager say you do good, bring honor to family
>now we going to apply this blur effect which will destroy all the detail, rendering much of your work completely unnecessary

It's not that they can't. Hyouka has a LOT of clever direction that draws your eyes to the important things in a subtle way.
Also, people who think left actually looks fine are just true contrarians. I understand why they might think the right is too much but the left is just flat and cluttered as fuck. The image on the right has depth and it's easier to make out the 3d space in the image. Anime needs at least a little post processing to not look like stickers on a frame. Also if you're against some digital effects only because they didn't have them "back in the day" you are some special kind of purist retard.

Whats the point of the post, because literally none of this applies to KyoAni, the exceptional studio that actually gives their animators great working conditions, pay and creative freedom?

All of the detail still has an effect in the resulting blurred image, it's not completely lost. If I were to draw a less detailed version of something and a very detailed one, and them blur them both, the less detailed one would still look less detailed. Also, the shading is not lost in the blurring and actually helps give the blurred image more volume.

Fucking KyoAni. So much effort put into drawing a detailed crowd just to ruin it with stupid Shine effect.

Attached: LN9tDou-eMA.jpg (1200x900, 188K)

>movies looked just fine being black and white for decades without colorshit

Some times too much effects is too much

Attached: qAT3G9HtMKM.jpg (1200x900, 216K)

Cant they just lay their photoshop tools away for once and not ruin good pictures?

Attached: lG502KXpYQs.jpg (1200x900, 199K)

imagine the guys who animated all that, and then see this in the screening, while the FX guy is looking at it with a smug face

literally unwatchable

Attached: RmbylJ34vTk.jpg (1200x900, 226K)

>kyoani caring about little bit of effort wasted on things viewer will not notice or flash for 1 milisecond
how new

Attached: kyoani characters.png (640x1110, 1.75M)

>the left is just flat and cluttered as fuck
Because it was made knowing that it was going to get drowned in filters. You can render depth and tridimensional space without using effects if you want to.

What do you think about KyoAni cooperation with Nvidia? Did you update your drivers before watching VEG?

Attached: nvidia water.webm (1920x1080, 2.82M)

The grey filter unironically pisses me off.

Attached: Nvidia dynamic lightning.webm (1920x1080, 2.03M)

>artfags
doesn't mean shit. Most people who are competent also know not to drown everything out in ambient occlusion, saturation and lens flare. It works to a certain point, but after that it turns an image or a scene into an overstewed mess of colors, where it hides detail and looks like petroleum jelly was smeared over the lens. Of course everyone's limit is different, but the right side on OP's picture would only really work if it was a dream sequence or something, and was meant to look smudged and unfocused

Attached: nvidia metal shaders.webm (1920x1080, 2.47M)

Attached: just erica in rain.webm (1920x1080, 2.02M)

>another person that did not watch the show
I wonder how many people that watched Hyouka actually watched the show too. In fact, majority probebly did not even watch any KyoAni shows as they are intended to be watched - on BDs.

Attached: 1000 hours loop.webm (1920x1080, 277K)

Attached: autism.webm (1920x1080, 1.6M)

Can we blame Ufotable for being the first ones to go overboard with the post-processing shit (and being successful with it)?
It already used to annoy me greatly a decade ago, and seeing Kyoani follow their example and be even worse at it is disheartening.

Attached: at first i was like but then.webm (1920x1080, 1.14M)

Attached: auto memories dolls.webm (1920x1080, 1.77M)

At least UFO knows how to limit themselves to handful of colors.

Attached: 1544933080846.png (1200x1124, 2.1M)

Forced animation: the anime

Attached: Cattleya doesnt care.webm (1920x1080, 1.53M)

Attached: cattleya looks at Kyoani haters with pity.webm (1920x1080, 2.51M)

Attached: clauria and cattlaya yuri scene.webm (1920x1080, 2.66M)

Attached: dear diary.webm (1920x1080, 1.85M)

how to have sex with this bitch?

Attached: disengage.webm (1920x1080, 846K)

3D anime is obviously 100% digital.
God damn look at these ever repeated "scratch" textures.
It's even on the fucking balloon.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Godzilla - Kaijuu Wakusei - 00 [720p].mkv - 0001.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

Attached: dont bully.webm (1920x1080, 1.56M)

Pistols at dawn with Claudia.
Winner takes all.

Attached: woah there.png (549x579, 434K)

Attached: eeeh.webm (1920x1080, 635K)

Attached: erica 2.webm (1920x1080, 1.14M)

Digital anime is not inherently worse.

OH MY GOD I SEE IT DUDE.

Attached: erica 4.webm (1920x1080, 1017K)

I don't care, both styles are valid, what really triggers me is that they didn't anticipate they'd blur the background characters and drew them just as detailed as Violet when they could have drawn the background characters like potatoes and then blurred them and no one would have been the wiser. Such a waste of effort.

Attached: erica 5.webm (1920x1080, 1.92M)

KyoAnus faggots once again trying to sell Violet Evertrash as high art I see.

ufotable does it correctly.

Attached: Kimetsu no Yaiba - 03 - Large 03.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Attached: erica 6.webm (1920x1080, 935K)

Attached: erica 7.webm (1920x1080, 938K)

Attached: erica cant comprehend your idiocy.webm (1920x1080, 2.4M)

So, when should I expect the Do-It-For-Her, Erica edition?

Attached: 1531836161361.gif (498x669, 1.84M)

Attached: erica contemptates about your post.webm (1920x1080, 1.76M)

oh great, it's another 'let's dump shit webms' thread

Attached: erica.webm (1920x1080, 632K)

Attached: erica3.webm (1920x1080, 375K)

Attached: feierabend.webm (1920x1080, 1.09M)

Excuse me, what the fuck are you doing?

Attached: fuck this shit.webm (1920x1080, 1.45M)

Actually prefer the left side more, It looks nicer with the backgrounds.

Attached: 1552694842090.jpg (248x324, 63K)

Attached: gemstone.webm (1920x1080, 439K)

God, I think someone at KyoAni has a filter fetish or something because that's way too overdone.

Attached: gilbert is.. gilbert.. is.. gay.webm (1920x1080, 2.23M)

I like the right side more because it doesn't look like flat garbage
also
>prefer more

Attached: godrays.webm (1920x1080, 2.72M)

Yeah, but they still overdid it on the fucking blur filter.

Attached: Gundam Violet ready to start.webm (1920x1080, 2.15M)

I disagree. Blurring is deteriorating the image. It's a loss of quality.
Of course you can tell if you look whether it was well drawn or not underneath the blurring, but does that mean you should? Does that mean anyone cares or should care? The average eye is drawn to Violet, to her sharp lighting and colors.
If you don't have pads left for your periods, you use your shittiest panties and some toilet paper, not your favourite fancy lace thong and pages torn off from your favourite book. It's a waste. The same thing applies here. I don't know what their budget was, but I can't help seeing it as a problem with their process and the pipeline.

that's like, your opinion, man

Attached: hairkino.webm (800x450, 1.03M)

Attached: have a drink.webm (1920x1080, 1.1M)

Attached: heil gilbert.webm (1280x720, 779K)

Attached: i read your posts, bro.webm (1920x1080, 1.51M)

I want to fuck that drink.
And by drink I don't mean the girl. I mean the drink.

Attached: if looks could incenerate.webm (1920x1080, 1.8M)

Attached: it is ok, no need to hate so much.webm (1920x1080, 702K)

Attached: look at this faggot poster and his stale bait.webm (1920x1080, 2.44M)

Attached: mecha 1.webm (1920x1080, 1.26M)

Attached: mecha maintenance long.webm (1920x1080, 2.64M)

Attached: metal gear.webm (1920x1080, 2.26M)

Attached: never go full retard.webm (1920x1080, 2.6M)

Attached: new generation console.webm (1920x1080, 2.69M)

Attached: No competition.webm (1920x1080, 2.88M)

Attached: no fun allowed.webm (1920x1080, 2.49M)

Attached: no one gives a fuck.webm (1920x1080, 2.35M)

Attached: no, you are the shitposter.webm (1920x1080, 1.94M)

Attached: peek.webm (1280x720, 2.3M)

Attached: please stop.webm (1920x1080, 1.13M)

color added accuracy and detail, blur and chromatic aberration remove it
brainlet anuslicker

It's a flashback scene, isn't it?

This is not a flashback scene.

blur adds depth

Yeah, nothing brings a world alive like post-processing obscuring all the detail in a scene, even on the focal character of the shot.

ITT: Yea Forums pretends to know what it is talking about

Attached: [Komorebi] Violet Evergarden 05 (BD 1080p) [AC2213E1].mkv_snapshot_00.45.jpg (1920x1080, 228K)

Stop tempting me, dammit.
I will not rewatch till the OVA's out.

Attached: Local doll beaten half to death during job assignment abroad.webm (1920x1080, 1.8M)

These unironically look 10 times better than what the anime put out, no greyscale or

>implying people look at details in animation
He was unironically right. Non artfag detected.
The eye is drawn to what has sharp contrast and/or is moving. Nobody looks at the background characters in this configuration anyways. The blurring only exccerbates that fact to simplify the composition.

>the bloom destroying any and all detail
>shit lighting in general
>everything but the character is CG thus the animated character clashes with everything around her including the fucking ground
Why? Why do studios think this is good? It looks like garbage.

I conjecture that it's not shit.

Attached: 4L_RArfWbWj.png (720x720, 26K)

I love looking at background characters.

Attached: 1553204548608.jpg (480x480, 37K)

>posters/calendars look better than the animation
Wow no shit Sherlock. You can still see the presence of DoF and some filtering in them.

The crowd is not CG and you don't know a damn thing about lens effects.

>Cameras and eyes have limited depth of focus, so images of objects nearer or farther than the point of focus or fixation are blurred. The presence of blur at a particular point in the image therefore constitutes a cue to the distance of that point from the observer.
lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/George_Mather/Documents/BlurProject.htm

based KyoAni nvidia quality

Name a good episode director that is not in KyoAni. You cant.

Actually correct

I know it looks like shit and that I have a hard time thinking of a modern anime that actually looks good in general. Anime visuals have been on a steady deterioration since everything started shifting to digital. Almost 20 years of continual degradation.

>he says about best looking TV anime in history

That's the best if you're the type of person who also thinks that Game of Thrones and the MCU are the heights of television and movies.

Its easy to disprove me, just name a better looking TV anime show created in any period of time. OAVs and Movies do not count.

*gets blurried into oblivion*

Attached: WEG VEG2.png (1100x500, 816K)

Attached: she had ONE job.png (1477x926, 1.69M)

One step further into contrarian land and you'll be watching nothing but 60s slideshows, my dear retard.

Attached: 1496541244649.png (468x494, 301K)

Did someone shit on your breakfast this morning?

Fuck off Shawshank Redemption is a flawlessl masterpiece and you know it.

wow dishonest animation!1

Redline, Gankutsuou, Guren Lagann, Devilman Crybaby.

VEG/KyoAni haters BTFO with Facts and Logic

>redline
movie
>Gankutsuou
I am Gonzo fag and you are obviously retard if you believe that.
>guren Laggan
looks like shit and full of QUALITY
>Devilman Crybaby
literall korean flash cartoon

Are you for real?

based retard

>TV Anime
>Redline
NEEEEEEWWWWFAAAAAAAAAAG

Based and Retardpilled.

Fucking kek.

Attached: 1532731411876.png (542x681, 334K)

>a better looking TV anime
As far as animation goes, there are various with significantly more impressive animation and/or use of stylized motion. Hell, Phantom Worlds animation is more impressive. It has significantly more artistic merit due to utilizing the creative freedom provided by the artform better than VEG ever tries. And no, I am not talking about Trigger. Evergarden is laughably limited in its artistic approach when compared to shows a la IM@S or Star Driver. Let's not even start on Dennou Coil. VEGs biggest problem is that the ethos of "constant motion" isn't being used properly.

If what you meant was artistic direction, then there are hundreds, really. VEG doesn't even look good by KyoAni standards. Be it use of lightning, laughably misguided color coordination, filters to rid the work of actual contrasts and blacks, amateurish use of establishing shots, and whatnot. I know you shill get enjoyment from this but I would prefer for you to at least praise KyoAnis servicable shows. Not this collection of Mexican soap opera episode, directed by an autistic child who just pirated Adobe After Effects off of PassThePopcorn.

tldr:
so you cant?

I hope you realize some people can and will see past your word salad kiddo.

PW had some well animated short fights and magical powers but apart from these it was just another standard Kyoto Animation production. It is nowhere near the complexity of what VE has in terms of details, consistency and how much movement there is when stuff is happening. There is one shot on VE episode one where the main character is removing her gloves and the audience gets to see just how above and beyond this TV production is; the character's head and hair all move accordingly; the glove wrinkles and reacts to both touch and gravity, the metal hand reacts to the glove being pulled and moves as the glove finishes leaving it, causing the metallic shades to also change accordingly; the clothing she is wearing also moves and wrinkles both in the foreground where her arm is located and the background where her body and head are located. Everything except the wall behind the character moves with incredible detail and consistency, there is simply no other TV production out there with this level of animation quality throughout 14 episodes. Zero.
Everything I just said applies to SD and IM@S but with the addition that those do not have a detailed artwork to begin with.

Color coordination is something you use on character clothing, I imagine the term you were looking for is color palette and as far as this production goes it is very consistent regardless of location and manages to not allow some of the doll costumes to stand out like sore thumbs.
As for the rest of what you posted it's all extremely generic criticism that could be used to target every production out there and I very much doubt you know what establishing shots are supposed to look like or do.
I know where you people come from and I'd advise you to stay there if you don't want to be embarrassed.

Attached: 1515495676951.png (1920x2196, 3.89M)

That look great. CGI is indeed the future of anime. Glad more shows like irozuku are doing it.