Has anyone else ever been reluctant to watch something because they’re afraid they might be too stupid to “get” it?

Has anyone else ever been reluctant to watch something because they’re afraid they might be too stupid to “get” it?

I have avoided watching EoE for years simply because I don’t want to confirm to myself that I’m a brainlet.

Attached: 5AD03C66-E3C9-4EEF-B53B-9C0FEFB4CD9B.jpg (479x282, 21K)

just watch it for the sake of watching it and not for the sake of getting it. I actually avoid 'getting it' as it can sometimes ruin the show for me.

It's okay if you don't get it at first. I think most people who say they do are lying.

Dude, there is a lot going on to evangelion. Obviously, that was Anno's whole thing with this series. Anytime you watch something or read something, whatever it is, no matter what, it's about how YOU feel when you are watching/reading it. There's no "getting it." There is only what you take away from it.

There's a great quote from Gai in the original Psycho-pass season where he says the most important about books is the thoughts you have while turning the pages. That's kind of what I'm getting at.

read the superior manga and avoid that snorefest.

It's perfectly OK to miss some of the plotpoints on first watch. Certain things that could appear minor or insignificant will make sense or have a payoff later on. Some stuff that happens throughout does not get explained until late in the series.

It's just entertainment dude don't take it too seriously and also what said

Think of it this way if are scared there is a chance to expose yourself as a brainlet if you watch something and don't get it:
If you don't watch something only because of this then you are guaranteed to be a brainlet.

No, but I've been reluctant to watch something because I know that I'm too intelligent to get it.

Every Dogakobo show I've ever seen falls under this category because I know the exact demographic they're trying to pander to and I can't help but feel disgusted whenever I watch something made by them despite enjoying wholesome garbage like Nyaruko and Lucky Star.

I have no way of watching it without it being trash quality
I don't into the internet

You dont watch EoE, you watch NGE, which is a 26 episodes series, that ends with a movie called EoE.

If you watch EoE by itself, you wont understand it. If you watched NGE you dont REALLY need EoE to get the message. If you watched NGE and didnt "get it", congratulations, you are a confirmed brainlet, you dont need EoE for that.

Attached: images.jpg (189x266, 8K)

Manga is okay mostly but most of its changes do nothing to improve the story and the new ending undermines the theme of the series.
>even if life seems hard and cruel, take care of yourself and keep moving forward
becomes
>if life seems hard and cruel, restart the world and alter everyone's memories
How very relatable and applicable to everyday life. Thank you, Sadamoto!

Attached: congrats.gif (498x338, 1.71M)

Go away.

Attached: 1522827515953.jpg (242x239, 7K)

Test

>He isnt in his 12th reset cycle
Dumb jian

Attached: 1505600709280.png (323x327, 68K)

No. I watched Lain and I'm not sure I fully understood it but I don't give a shit because it was fucking good and I enjoyed it.

Attached: 1542193515663.jpg (1516x1076, 155K)

No, but sometimes I won't watch an anime because I'm not in the right mood to appreciate it. Like, if you're at a good place in life, maybe it's a bit stressful but still, you're moving forward, there's no way in hell you're gonna "get" depressive teenage angst. Or appreciate naive beauty when everything feels rotten.
You're not going to care about world building if you want a short story. A short story won't feel like enough, when you want to fantasize and explore. There's a time and place for everything really

Lain

I doubt I'll ever seem to understand

art arent puzzles, you fucking retard. only shitty dishonest art has a single answer that puts everything into perspective. that just means that the creator was more than capable of expressing his ideas but chose to obscure them for faux intellectual credibility. anno actually struggles to express himself, he's on the edge of his abilities like every good artists should be, and tackles a wide variety of subjects on the way. theres not something definitive to "get", its mostly about everyday problems and how hard it is to form connections with other people.

or perhaps youre just wondering if the plot is easy to follow? its pretty cohesive and easy to grasp imo

Attached: guys.jpg (761x563, 60K)

>only shitty dishonest art has a single answer that puts everything into perspective.
Dont you dare diss murder mystery books. But i know thats not what you are talking about. Just be more careful with your words.

But i agree with you about Anno. While he did leave some questions unanswered, he never tries to obscure the point of the series. The main themes should be easy to understand.

Attached: y648.jpg (419x648, 56K)

>muh reset cycles
The lore in Eva had never been as important as the character dynamics and psychology. That's the main reason 3.0 sucks so much. It just throws pseudo-spiritual jargon at you without doing anything interesting with the characters.

You sound so fucking dumb indeed, you should just stop watching anime altogether it might be too complex for you.

Im just joking around, no need to get so butthurt.
I also despise the rebuilds, and any instance of poorly though timetravel that doesnt add anything to the series and instead is just an easy get away from jail card.

t. Hasn’t watched Madoka Magica yet

I know it’s fun to pretend you haven’t watched Eva yet and to try and get people to think it’s deep to start a conversation but Madoka is legit ten times the anime this series is. Try watching it one day.

I figured you wet joking alright, was talking about the mindset you were parodying. Whenever someone genuinely starts to go deep into the FAR and seeds of life, I tune out.

It actually is internally consistent and compliant with Kabbalistic mysticism, which is interesting in itself, but it's not the point of the original series. Focusing on it is missing the trees for the wood.

I have never been worried about not understanding something. I can enjoy things even if I don't understand everything about them. This is pretty apparent when I watch movies with other people and I see them get frustrated that they don't get something and it ends up affecting their opinion of the movie.

Eva explains everything its about in-depth in pretty plain terms.
it doesn't explain all the esoteric bullshit because thats not what its about. Eva is an anime about social sciences

It took until my second year of college to watch Utena.
Turns out my fear was unfounded. I got it, just wasn't a fan.

>he hasn't initiated Instrumentality so many times it's like hopscotch to you
You have a long way to go

Attached: 59d.jpg (1280x800, 312K)

Anno is a /pol/ack from before /pol/ was a thing, the whole series is about a kabal of shadowy globalists trying to destroy borders but turned up to eleven, even personal borders, and they're being helped by the boomer who thinks he's in control of the situation, only to be btfo by the golem that the kabal and the boomer created. Change my mind.
Point being, if you look hard enough into something that's not clear, you can see whatever you want.

>Change my mind.
everything you said was factual though

Attached: 870874.jpg (2038x1147, 130K)

I was afraid that I wasn't Japanese enough for Joshiraku.my fears were true

Attached: 7cd7e57c63156e4206373c5b60c9784274b264d9.gif (907x255, 2.4M)

Also there is strong precedent and hints for German + Jap having won WW2 in Eva world.

if only we had such a world

Attached: 1511135351740.jpg (1577x2216, 968K)

You'll get it someday user, just keep rewatching

EoE is pretty straightforward compared to the rest of the show

this shit just keeps getting better and better

Reading these blows my mind

Attached: 1552882496522.jpg (450x330, 29K)

penpen is adam

Not at all, I'm a genius. I only avoid things if I know they have a heavily reliance on references to things I know nothing about or if their entire allure is obscure foreshadowing.

A genius doesn’t call themselves a genius.

>It was all a dream
>the SoL universe was real
I don't even want to get on this ride

EOE is less complicated than episodes 25/26. Frankly I though the episodes were a better ending because it wrapped up the psychological aspect in its entirety, while EOE just wrapped up the normal physical plot and left the series open ended forever. CONGRATULATIONS was kino.

Ending of the manga is unforgivably shit.

Anno's already on my list, if he fucks with me any more he's done

It's good if you're a fan of C grade romance manga

>Kaworu achieved CHIM
I thought this image was bullshit until that, now it's legit.

Attached: 252C84DE-4F76-46CD-930C-35CA6DD438D3.jpg (1577x2216, 786K)

that’s a shame, you seemed an honest man

You get smarter by watching things you "don't get" and trying to figure out what are they about. Don't be afraid exploring new things, user

Madoka's barely above twilight level nonsense

He is and he isn't. If he's a "/pol/ack" at all, he's more of a 2012-era /pol/ack. Anno was a severely depressed man who wanted to find meaning in life. When people want to do that they often turn to a number of different places for answers. That can be religion, psychology or trying to understand how the world is run.

The reason the enimies and artefacts are based on Kabbalah, rather than something from Shinto, Hindu or Buddhist tradition... well, that's pretty obvious. When you're trying to populate your story with a conspiracy that runs the world's governments, it's easy to copy that. The Gnosticism is drawn directly from what were very powerful movements whose ideals still have followers today, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm similar to you OP.

I've avoided watching Evangelion for years because I feel like it's one of those movies that give you a special feeling the first time you watch it(like Akira or the Miyazaki films) but after watching it again the feeling is gone even though the movie remains a great film.

I just don't like the feeling of wonder fading from me. It makes me hurt inside.

Attached: 1527518477091.gif (200x200, 948K)

just watch it

Attached: evangelion expert.jpg (540x540, 89K)

>I rather not experience something great than experience it and then lose it.
Heh, its funny because that is exactly one of the main themes of the show.

People are greedy. It really is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, when you're on your deathbed. The only problem is being consumed by regret and chasing after the past, rather than enjoying the present and pursuing the future.

I don't know if they ever taught youth that in the past, but they sure don't teach it now. They probably should.

it's not confusing at all, it's very emotional though.

That's not what he means by answer (and the best detective fiction doesn't work that way either)

What's CHIM ?

that was my biggest takeaway from Evangelion. some people fear failure and rejection so much, they never take any risks - only to find that regret is every bit as painful as failure or rejection.

Evangelion theories are cool as fuck.

Heaven, essentially or whatever
the aggregate of all human consciousness, break down of barriers and misunderstandings, eternal love, whatever

>this

Attached: f51.png (637x581, 372K)

>pissed Eva fanboy

Which is the best Evangelion movie,Yea Forums?

Both the UN and JSDF exist so prob not

EoE by a mile. Fuck the rebuilds

imagine being this insecure

t. 3rd grade literature level

t. EXTREMELY pissed Eva fanboy!

We're all friends here, fren

Attached: 1553920242444.jpg (1254x1771, 876K)

OP, If there's one thing I learned, the shows that are really worth watching are the ones that pique you curiosity by either showing you a whole new world and culture you didn't know about, or by making you reflect on the things you think you already know. The pleasure is in the rewatch, coming back and getting a better understanding of what the anime is trying to say. For example, I've started watching Joshiraku recently. I did not fucking get any of the references, and had to have google on the ready as a result. However, it was still fun because of the cute girls and the fact that I was learning something new about Japan.

Attached: 1542416468168.jpg (590x590, 64K)

Is it an acronym , is CHIM just instrumentality ?

accept that humans are social animals, learn to be in contact with people, BUT at the same time, don't get yourself mixed to the point you lose your self/identity
that's the general gist of the message

The Elder Scrolls term.
Basically, ascend to Godhood because you know everything around you is just fiction, but you are okay with it.

Longer answer: the world of Elder Scroll is a dream of a God, and every single living being is a fragment of his mind.
If you realize the truth, either you pop out of existence, or you defy reality and become aware of the dream.
In this mode, you are in a Lucid dream and are effectively a God inside it. Its strongly hinted every player character has it (and its the justification why you can save, use cheats, etc)

Its not an acronym, the word is meant to sound alien and weird because its from a fictional religion

So just being meta and 4th wall breaking ?

No its not

Wrong, CHIM is the control over reality that comes from realizing that you exist within a dream and you start lucid dreaming in place of the actual dreamer.

It's a bit more than that because at least one NPC has achieved CHIM, and definitely one historical figure, and that's who PCs know about CHIM.

Anyway I was joking about CHIM making the image legit. It actually proves the image is illegitimate. CHIM doesn't exist outside of TES.

Basically, but on a slightly weaker level. Someone with CHIM doesnt know there is an viewer / player behind the 4th wall, but he does know that himself and everything around him is basically some sort of fiction.

If you watch the Rebuilds, Kaworu's attitude is closer to that.

>you start lucid dreaming in place of the actual dreamer.
a bit wrong because you are *technically* the actual dreamer in some of way.

>ReTake is canon

It puts such a smile on my face that a Shinji x Asuka sex doujin was able to go to such lengths that it pretty much became a semi-offical canon in the fandom

Attached: 106.png (791x1200, 106K)

Not really, when its a shitposting image

I get that, I just mean it's funny because you really can't say that about any other fan work, even for shitposting.

amazing how a doujin is still better than meguca mangoca

My wife Maya is cute.

Attached: Zo3lmnR.png (1440x1080, 2.88M)

I can say without any fear that I couldn't ''get'' Ergo Proxy for what's it worth to you OP

Sorry user , she is not into guys.

go to bed Ritsuko

>Q “Donkey” Trailer happened between 2.0 and 3.0
I still want to know why the fuck they had a donkey. Either we get answers or Anno is officially a hack fraud.

I assumed they were hiking back to take over the deserted headquarters again after the UN invasion, civil war, and failed Third Impact.

Funny how the official manga's ending runs with the idea of instrumentality creating a new world in a way like Re-Take did.

Attached: 77.jpg (940x1400, 352K)

That's so stupid and lame.

So is everything in the manga

Evangelion is really stupid indeed

Death

At this point I've stopped caring about "am I smart enough to 'get it'". I just watch whatever I think is interesting, I actively work at not analysis anything. I just want to enjoy it for what it is. Be that SAO or EoE. I got over my phase of pseudo-elitism and watching ani-YouTubers.
Because at the end of the day, everyone has shit taste in cartoons. I also like a wide array of hentais, so why the fuck should I larp like I know fuck all? And as far as I'm concerned, this applies to everyone within the community as a whole; be they normiescum or veter/a/ns.

Attached: fuck shit up action gun.jpg (1000x1000, 128K)

Not really, no