Dumbass Protagonists

Yea Forums what complete dumb asses almost ruined your enjoyment of the anime you were watching? For me it was Emiya here in the fate series. The dude is a total retard. It was sort of made up for when people called him retarded but it was still hard to watch. Why are these types of MC's so popular? Gon in HxH was another that completely ruined the show for me. The kid doesn't care if you literally eat children, but completely loses it if you mistreat someone who should be your comrade.

Why are the Japanese obsessed with having naive, potato level intelligence MC's?

Attached: dumbass.jpg (640x368, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xKq2iUIIc-U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: file.png (1440x809, 945K)

He gets better towards the end of the second season. He is still pretty dumb. For some reason it didn't bother me as much.

Attached: naruto.png (1440x1076, 1.17M)

Attached: 1519352453163.png (951x841, 345K)

Attached: one piece.jpg (1920x1080, 387K)

Attached: Made-in-Abyss.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Ya foreal man?

Attached: Fanime05-Sasuke-Arrested.jpg (360x270, 33K)

>shirou
>retarded
Sounds like someone didn't read the VN

Based MHA poster

tf? Shirou is a boss.

Attached: 3245345634635464356.jpg (480x360, 35K)

The fact he was a one-note guy and the universe bended to his will.

Attached: 1540431473996.jpg (1100x823, 176K)

Everyone in this show pissed me off, but he pissed me off the most.

Attached: IS0_-_Ichika_Orimura.png (437x600, 140K)

Basing this solely on the unlimited blade works adaptation. Dude is straight up retarded. Like im surprised he can breath retarded.

Dude just rushes into pretty much atomic bombs but lives only because of plot armor.

Attached: Keijo_2.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

>Basing this solely on the unlimited blade works adaptation
>Posts an image of the Fate route adaptation
Oh right, it's just a shitposter thread.

its an iconic image that sums up how dumb he is faggot. he is an irrefutable dumbass

Shirou might be dumb but at least he isn't a faggot like OP

>an iconic image
yeah, one taken out of the context. it's easy to make fun of if you leave out the fact that the full line is "people die when they are killed, at least, that's how it's supposed to be."
If you have any fucking clue about Shirou's character, you would know that he survives many fatal blows because of Avalon's protection. That's why it's literally only funny to idiots who have zero idea what the context of him saying that actually is.

I can't help it if you have shit taste

Like I said, only reason why he survived being such a dumb ass is some stupid plot armor. Just because there is a reason in story that he can survive being a mouth breathing retard doesn't make it better.

"Hur Durr I wAnt To bE a heRO of JusTicE"

Shirou just got stabbed through the chest, leaked out half the blood in his body, and saw the light at the end of the tunnel... then woke up as if nothing happened. He's not stating the obvious, he's saying "I know I died back then, what the hell is going on".

He also has no regard for his own life and is obsessed with sacrificing himself to save others, so he thinks it's *morally* wrong for him to receive that kind of miracle.

Damn near all of them.
Most MC's follow similar tropes and rules to VN protagonists. A blank slate for you to imagine yourself as.

90% of what makes these characters interesting are actually the interesting characters around them, or the interesting events occurring to and around them. It is amusing how easily disguised this problem used to be.

Attached: god of pestilence.jpg (2362x3543, 600K)

>From based kiritsugu to basedboy Emyia

Where did it go wrong fellas

Kiritsugu got the worst servant and failed

Its basically because writers are lazy. Take Keijo up there. Why on earth would a person who loves the sport of Kejio and has been accepted into a prestigious training school not have the first clue about how Keijo works? Would someone who is good enough to get into the NBA have no clue how the league works or tournaments? Probably not. The writer makes the MC clueless so other characters explain what's going on. This also explains to the viewers what's going on. They don't need to do proper world building.

Just a bunch of uncreative writers. Its why the isekai genre is so easy to write. You don't have to creatively worldbuild anything to naturally explain things to the viewers. You just throw in generic MC #457 and have other people info dump stuff to him. Its the lazy way to go. Then you have good world building like Gembutts where the story and world is steadily revealed to you. You arent spoonfed with info dumps.

Just blame lazy storytelling

I just can't read the VN because Emiya is such a fucking dumbass and everytime I get him killed it feels like a reward.

Artoria is so canonically broken in the war it's not even funny, you actively have to try really hard to lose with her as servant.

youtube.com/watch?v=xKq2iUIIc-U

Attached: 1535656920841.jpg (960x720, 91K)

Shirou is a far better protagonist than Kiritsugu.

Every Amuro Ray-style Gundam protagonist

yeah as much as I like parts of Fate route, Fate Shirou is fucking retarded. He can be pretty bad in the other routes but Fate takes the cake easily.

The only annoying thing about Fate Shirou is his insistence that Saber shouldn't fight despite being far more capable than him.

I want to see a grail war where all the masters decided to hide until they're the last ones left and the war never ends

That made perfect sense within character context.

Something can make sense and be annoying at the same time.

exactly, it can also still mean the character is a fucking retard. These faggots somehow think that because something is explained in the narrative means that it can't also be stupid.

I mean your secondary who only watched an adaptation that added a bunch of anime original shit and changed a number of stuff. No-ones really going to take your opinion seriously on this.

well then I guess its a good thing I specified anime in the OP and not VN you fucking pedantic faggot

If character traits are purposely constructed instead of being due to bad writing, no one cares about your distaste towards such character traits.

Him, trying to nag a heroic spirit from the past with clear purpose into thinking that her ACTUAL dream is to get a piece of that virgin body.

Gon is supposed to be amoral but all about reaching the top, eyes on the prize.
He only wants to make Ging proud and nothing else.

Does anyone have that picture where Archers is literally dead, killed by berserker while Rin and Saber are having a threesome with Shirou in a shed?

It was to honour his sacrifice.

Visual Novel is a shit medium. I don't blame people for just watching the anime instead.

Then why was the anime worse than the Visual Novel?

Because it came out after the Visual Novel.

I actually quite liked Gon because I really sympthasied with him. Whenever he was confused or didn't know something, I didn't know it either. I'm not too bright though

UBW wasn't.

You are the retard though

UBW anime literally changed Illya's motivation to "the devil made her do it".

no you

Stupid secondary, you only saw 1/3 of the adaptation and dare to talk shit about based emiya, play the vn or watch the heavens feel movies (which is the last route of fsn) and realize how fucking retarded you are. If you dont want to keep being retarded but dont cry when people call you out

>emiya: 2004
>kiritsugu: 2007
>From kiritsugu to emiya
>also implying kerrytard who is the root of the complex that animeonlyfaggots cry about with emiya is better than emiya.
Fate stay night should be an obligatory read to be able to post in Yea Forums

>Visual novel
>Anime and manga
I like parts of Type Moon but fuck off retard.

Kerry would've wrecked shirou's war though desu but he had to fail in fate/zero because prequel..

Not him, but Fate has been a part of Yea Forums since like, forever, bro.

>"Kiritsugu give Avalon to kill Gilgamesh."
>"No way bitch lmao."

>but he had to fail in fate/zero because prequel
He diidn't fail though.

Maybe because the Deen anime aired around the time Yea Forums was made?

Me not playing the novels doesn't change the fact the he is a downy.

People who like MC's who charge head first into scenarios without thinking have shit taste. Is there any adaptation where he doesn't charge head first without thinking? Probably not. I won't waste my time finding it out either. The only reason why MC's who charge in without thinking survive instead of die is 100% due to plot armor. Its shitty writing. The author wants to have a headstrong MC but doens't know how to write one. So what does our author do? He just has the MC jump into things head first anyway and into situations he couldn't possibly survive. Then he does an ass pull and makes him survive. Its just mary sue BS.

If you can definitively tell me there is a route where Emiya doesn't rush into tings and endanger everyone around him like a fucking retard I'll play the VN.

>He diidn't fail though.
Well war didn't end.

>Maybe because the Deen anime aired around the time Yea Forums was made?
Wait, Yea Forums predates Fate altogether so I guess it is all thanks to a certain fish.

>Well war didn't end.
Isn't that covered in Case Files?

He's not retarded though, he's clever enough to be the only person who actually managed to deduce Gilgamesh's true identity with a valid line of reasoning from the info he had. He just has a different set of priorities that does not include self preservation. There are still no situations in which he shouldn't survive that he does anyway, since those situations lead to bad ends in the first place.

>There are still no situations in which he shouldn't survive that he does anyway, since those situations lead to bad ends in the first place.
We just need more anime adaptations of bad ends, like School Days.

Attached: 1546756758869.jpg (720x504, 43K)

So that's a big ole No for him not being a retard and rushing into things. Thanks for confirming.

Do you call Shinji Ikari a pussy while ignoring all his psychological conditionings too?

He is though. We all have issues. There are kids his age shooting villagers in the Sudan right now, I'm sure they're not "well-adjusted" either.

ITT:Dumbass secondaries

If you weren't retarded you would realize Shirou actually regularly uses tactics in the fights he is in.
>Rider vs Saber in Fate he targets Rider's master Shinji
>Saber vs Gil in Fate again he projects Avalon so she could use it to counter Gilgamesh's enuma elish and kill him while he is surprised
>Shirou vs Gilgamesh (UBW) he realizes Gilgamesh's weakness and exploits it the best he can to beat him
I could give more, but I've already given proof you're retarded.

KING OF JOBBERS

>People who like MC's who charge head first into scenarios without thinking have shit taste. Is there any adaptation where he doesn't charge head first without thinking? Probably not. I won't waste my time finding it out either.
The entire game is narrated from his perspective, and even the anime depicts his ability to analyse things instantly. He thinks a lot about what he's doing, he's just broken to the point where "I will surely die" gives him a perverse thrill. And often he doesn't voice his conclusions but plays stupid, which the anime turns into him being just genuinely stupid.

>He just has the MC jump into things head first anyway and into situations he couldn't possibly survive. Then he does an ass pull and makes him survive. Its just mary sue BS.
At many points in the VN, there are 3 choices where 2 of them will result in Shirou dying in horrifying ways, followed by the game mocking him for being an idiot. And the game punishes you unless you make Shirou die in every conceivable way before he manages to get to the end of the route.

Shirou is as retarded in the vn

Attached: mz1zghfyTX1sfpykco2.png (500x375, 211K)

He's autistic, not retarded you tertiary.

>Autistic ginger bangs all the hottest women
How does he do it?

“He’s the protagonist of his own life”

It's a mixture of being determined, buff, a good cook, and the hot women themselves being autistic.

Except he's actually correct about that.

She's talking about how Shirou's ability to analyse the structure of things makes him better at finding hidden magic circles. Except Kiritsugu deliberately trained Shirou wrong, so he thinks that's something all magi are good at (and he knows Rin is a way better magus than he is).

She really does need Shirou's help at cooking, though - not just because she's a bad cook, but because of the impact her mealtimes at the Emiya house have on her life.

Are we just shitposting in this thread?

Every single isekai LN protagonist.There's no exception.

Log Horizon

Attached: 25153651436.jpg (1920x1080, 252K)

Be careful what you say about Shirou on Yea Forums. There are anons who unironically believe him to be a great MC and dissing him will award you with a ton of "R-read the VN you dumb seconday" posts.

They are already here. Its pathetic really.

the retarded part is that he can't imagine himself being better than her at anything other than cooking despite already having ample evidence to the contrary

Shiki and Mikiya are the only half decent MCs to come from type-moon

The ironic thing is that he's an even bigger autistic idiot when you actually read his internal monologues in the VN

Reading the VN is perfectly valid advice though, there's a reason the majority of people who are literate and read the VN think Shirou is a good MC.

Its because they already liked that retard enough to read a poorly drawn VN.

Saekano retard. He doesn't deserve Utahara.

The VN is literally the first place Shirou appears in though. Not to mention the VN was also really ahead of its time in terms of graphics.

Subaru in Re:Zero. Made the anime barely watchable.

Post GENIUS protagonists instead.

Attached: Joseph Joestar.jpg (225x350, 24K)

I don't think anybody who's gotten into fate within the last 10 years started with fate/stay night VN, unless they're were already tsukihime or knk fans.

But the people who got into Fate first did, and many liked Shirou without any prior exposure to him, so it's not just predisposition convincing people he's a good character in the VN.

>who's gotten into fate within the last 10 years started with fate/stay night VN
Can confirm. Didn't get into the Fate franchise until Fate/Zero anime came out and I watched that first before playing the VN.

kazuma. I hate NEETS in general, but something about that scrawny chump made me put konosuba down.

True, but him being terrible is at least acknowledged in show and a used as a gag frequently

I can see liking Shirou in like 2005, but today his class of self-insert archetype is over-saturating the industry.

I found his mental breakdown/ptsd to be reasonable and kind of expected honestly. People have one traumatic experience in real life and freeze up for the rest of their lives all the time in real life. Experiencing those over and over would drive most people to the edge

How does he realize Gilgamesh's weakness when he only sees him just spam GoB?

He isn't part of the current flood of shitty self-inserts by virtue of actually being a character though.

They usually populate harem anime and low-tier shounen.

He's the progenitor

>Deen anime aired around the time Yea Forums was made?
Jesus fucking christ where do these people keep coming from? Why do they have to state wrong things with such confidence?

I just find it unbearable. Shame though. The girls were funny in their own off ways.

Proof that Shirou haters are more retarded than the character they call stupid.

Because even if he actually was some super talented heroic spirit (he isn't), there's no feasible way he could possibly master 1000+ different legendary weapons. Shirou also had enough prior contact with Gilgamesh to know he is arrogant and holds back in fights.

SASUGA

Attached: ovrlord.gif (394x259, 124K)

Well to be fair if harem anime protagonists were not idiots it would turn into a hentai very quick. IF they weren't oblivious all of them would be knee deep in pussy by the 3rd episode in most series.

That's not retarded, from his point of view, she IS better at everything than him. At this point she doesn't know about his projection magic, and all of their magic based conversations go along the lines of "you can't even do THAT?" leading him further down the thought process that he really is that shit, a fact he came to terms with even before meeting Rin.

What point are you trying to make, other than the fact you don't know what you're speaking about?

absolute retard

Attached: EdwardElricEp06.png (1000x563, 472K)

Ever notice how people who call Shirou stupid have a hard time understanding basic things?

Attached: 1342054700832.jpg (500x600, 59K)

I did. I went from Melty to Tsukihime to Fate.
Shirou is a decently written character, retards like OP are just mad they can't self-insert as him.

No. You're a speedwatcher her who did not understand Illya in the UBW anime. I doubt you will understand Sudou's interpretation of Illya in the Heavens Feel trilogy

based

>Melty to Tsukihime
? ?
?
how
That's like starting with Dragonball GT

Hell, even before he knew Rin was a magus, Shirou saw her as a winner at life. Her public image was a school idol, perfect and untouchable. Even if she was a complete rookie to magic, he'd still assume she had more natural talent at it than him.

He watched DEEN fsn what did you expect

>IF they weren't oblivious all of them would be knee deep in pussy by the 3rd episode in most series
As it should be. WTF is the point of harem anime.

VN or not, he is a straight up retard, even if he does have serious PTSD.

I'm pretty sure you haven't actually read the VN though.

You can argue for him being a well written character, sure, but practically everyone he knows calls him out for being a retard with zero self-preservation skills.

>watching an anime adaption of a story that delves into the mind of a character
>The producers removes most inner and outer dialog
>'I don't understand why this character is doing things waaaah he's a moron'

>Zero self-preservation skills
Maybe, but if nobody else is at risk he definitely puts in a good effort to survive (see the first two times lancer tried to kill him)
>retard
This is incorrect though, Shirou is pretty much the most intelligent master in all holy grail wars, smart enough to regularly figure out the identity of heroic spirits and can make very good split-second decisions (see how when lancer attacks him again, he manages to predict that lancer is going to attack him from behind and manages to block it). Even more so with his future self, who figures out the identities of other heroes just by their fighting styles.

>>The producers removes most inner and outer dialog
Thankfully the UBW fixes this:
>replaces inner monologue with visual metaphors, allusions, parallels and other such animation techniques to make the viewer understand how the character must be thinking. This way you don't have to stare at a static screen of someone talking for longer than they need to be.
It's called "show don't tell" and ufotable was phenomenal with it in the UBW adaptation.
Shirou was very expressive and in the second half of the show, they gave him back some inner monologue.
The Archer vs. Shirou fight in particular was fucking heavy.

Attached: superhero intensifies.png (565x719, 341K)

Then there's the "Mind of Steel" ending, where Shirou becomes heartless and his priorities shift to "preserve my own life so I can save humanity, kill anyone who gets in my way". Kotomine notices instantly and gets a massive boner.

(abridged:)
>"The Holy Grail War should end soon. I look forward to it."
>"You're predicting who'll win?"
>"Predict? There is no need to predict. You are Emiya Kiritsugu now. There is no way you cannot win."

The only reason I was interested in the Fate series was I heard he actually fucks. Then it doesn't happen in the shit I watched. Whats the point of adapting a sex filled VN and not putting any of it in the adaptation? Who all can he actually fuck in the VNs?

It's very much a success at the cost of your ideal situation. There's no perfect answer, just one Shirou himself sees as the best path for him, and the player gets to see what happens in those "alternate thought processes".
Ultimately, Shirou sticks to his guns and becomes a hero, but in Heaven's Feel true Shirou decides to become a hero not for humanity, but for one of humanity's biggest, most helpless victims. Sakura is the perfect fleshlight for Shirou's idealism because he gets to see the fruit of his labour smiling in his face all the time instead of moving on from a horrible situation to the next horrible situation forever.
Sakura a shit tho.

Why do Miurafags exist? If you compare Miura to Sudou in regards to capturing the character of Shirou then Sudou easily does it better. Your pic related is the only instance I remember where Miura did something good about Shirou.

Who's Miura?
Also everything about Shirou in UBW was good. They really captured his essence. When you're reading from a first person perspective you don't get a chance to see Shirou from the outside. UBW shows it perfectly.

>in the second half of the show, they gave him back some inner monologues
Where the fuck was that? His monologues were null in the 1st and 2nd cour of the UBW anime

Yeah because it was mostly unnecessary.
They gave him plenty in the climax; archer vs shirou though.

If you bitch about the lack of inner monologue you're probably one of those frodoposters who don't understand dick all unless it's flat out stated in your face.

I hated everything about this bitch. her stupid 'invisible' sword, her fucking armor (who the fuck makes armor in the shame of a dress), and of course her personality in general

Attached: hurr.png (1024x768, 248K)

Naruto at many points. In Re:Zero the selfishness and bitching of subaru almost made me drop although I know that was intentionally and probably amplified due to personal reasons

Don't bully mob.

Attached: effew.png (300x359, 98K)

>Naruto
He was mostly insufferable dealing with Sasuke.

Shirou is GAR

Attached: EmiyaShirou.jpg (1920x1088, 405K)

You're a retard.

Can he just... change his clothes, get a better hairdo"?

i haven read the VN just because of shirou, i hate him since the first anime

I've read the VN in december last year after realizing that it would be best to just read it if I wanted to start Fate instead of taking shortcuts and using bullshit anime viewing orders. And damn, am I glad I didn't listen to secondaries.

What a fucking insufferable character holy shit. So he starts off as the typical underdog loser shonen protagonists right? But he puts in absolutely no work to improve himself, nor does he have any obstacles from the beginning that prevent him from improving himself so he's just a fucking loser feeling bad for himself. Then he gets recruited to lead the Mafia family he's apart of, but of course being an absolute loser he's incapable of fucking doing that. The dying will bullet gives him the power he COULD have with training and discipline, neither of which he's willing to put in. His guardians are actually pretty based except for the fact that they rally around him because "he's nice" and " he inadvertently helped me with some shit." No one ever calls him out for his lack of ideals and motivation, he relies on his dying will power up as a crutch for most of the fucking series, and doesn't have ANY character development as a result. Midway he says "I'm gonna put an end to the Vongola Family because of all of the people that get killed" which is a legitimately good purpose, but like the retard he is he does nothing to that end. God what a piece of shit protagonist, he has no fucking redeeming features, he's not even a good self-insert for nerds with power harem fantasy's considering he's a beta the entire series and doesn't even get the girl he wanted.

Attached: pansybitch.png (1262x702, 378K)

found him a bit annoying but undeserving of retard status, there are many other MC's that earn that title.

This. The majority of MC literally have the same personality with slightly different quirks in it.

Then why is Shirou considered a poorly-written character by anime-onlies?
Are you telling me the audience is retarded?

I dunno anons, should I read a lotr-sized novel of a character I don't like because Yea Forums said so? When it's already had several adaptations but of course they're bad. I mean, there's something like tate no yusha where a character says "if I kill you I become you" but ln readers will assure the line is added and the plot stays the same anyway. Of course if you liked the plot in general (that is not the issue here) save for some things like the unexplained line you might read the ln. But as it stands the difference is abysmal. I'm to believe events told in the anime literally didn't happen and I have to believe in blind faith that the thing is a holy tome of salvation. I'm to believe whole myriads of hack plots didn't happen if I'm to salvage that and nasu is god descended upon earth. When that honestly sounds like someone saying "go eat trash lol". Like I'm not gonna go eat trash.

Meta retard

Attached: 323876-69540-ash-ketchum.jpg (320x240, 22K)

>read the VN
>girls shouldn't fight
>girls should be obedient
>etc. etc.
his thoughts are even worse in the vn

I hate fate anime because they mostly butchered his personality
Nah he's a based alpha male

>girls shouldn't fight
>girls should be obedient
Nah seems pretty based desu

Not when Saber is objectively a better fighter than him

she was cool until she cut her hair

Fate Shirou was top cringe for 2/3 of the route. I remember finishing the prologue and for the first few days I wished the story was about Rin/Archer instead.
UBW Shirou became my #1 favorite MC in any anime/manga related media and HF Shirou was also great

Attached: ikari kun.jpg (400x603, 31K)

There are tons of examples and obviously pointing out Jump shit is low bar but man Naruto, Goku and Luffy have been fucking retards for decades. Everyone around them gets a levelup in experience and wisdom and yet these guys just never learn.

YOU SHOULDN'T FIGHT MY SERVANT WHO IS MUCH STRONGER THAN ME BECAUSE I AM A BASED ALPHA MALE WHO WANTS TO SUFFER AND SPERGS OUT AT THE THOUGHT OF RIN'S BREASTS

Attached: dsc_00211.jpg (3872x2592, 3.12M)