Scanlation Thread

What's your stance regarding sniping scanlation? As a reader or as a scanlator.

Attached: scanlation thread.jpg (1389x409, 75K)

Attached: 2.jpg (1389x409, 112K)

I literally don't give a shit
It's not like I'm paying for this stuff

If a childish character, who is literally a child, refers to herself by her name instead of something like watashi 私, do you translate that to that name or to "I" Yea Forums?

Attached: 1446245039164.gif (508x583, 1.1M)

translate it to "meesa" like jar jar binks

Couldn't care less as a reader.
Couldn't care less as a scanlator.

Is there a Mac program that can make typesetting text not a pain besides Photoshop? Using GIMP to put in text was aids, and so were the other free options I've tried out also. I'm also open to pirating Photoshop if someone could point me the way.

Unproductive, but it only ever seems to happen to garbage manga, so I don't mind.

The name when she actually says it, "I" when she doesn't or the name just doesn't fit.

name.

>read "mimoka likes fish too!"
>get confused for a second thinking a different character besides mimoka said that
If I hear someone use their name instead of "I" in English, it makes them sound like a literal retard

In case of significant differences in quality, I don't care who comes out first. I'll wait for months if it means I'll get a readable version.
In case of minor differences I'll just take the first.
Why would a scanlator care whose version I read on an aggregator site though? They won't get any clicks or likes from me either way.

>setting is clearly western with no characters that originate from japan
>translators still insist on putting japanese honorifics everywhere

It depends on the age. For a very young child I'd go with the name, but a middle schooler or something I'd stick with "I" to avoid confusion.

>as a reader
Who cares lol

>as a scanlator
Survival of the fittest

Well it's a childish thing that little children do. Which is usually the point of it's usage. And it's not exclusive to japanese at all, so...

You have 10 seconds to explain why translating sound effects that don't require redrawing is a bad thing.

Blame the incompetent author for using jap exclusive honorifics in the first place
>THORFIN-KUN!! GUDRID-CHAN!

And then you realize you're being stupid and never make that mistake again, because now you remember Mimoka talks in third person. I think leaving that bit of characterization in is more important than saving some brainlet's forehead from wrinkles.

???
If you're talking about adding honorifics where there were none, then I understand, but if not then blame the mangaka.

You should only translate sfx when it's inside a text bubble.

It's not exclusive to Japanese, but I never hear actual children use their name like that in English

>author still insists on putting japanese honorifics everywhere
>translators know their place and don't try to improve the author's work

>confusion
Then blame the stupid amnesiac readers for not remembering the name of the character.

>setting is clearly not Japanese
>for some reason Japanese author has the characters communicate with each other in Japanese
I fucking hate this shit.

There are stories where the characters are canonically speaking in a language that's not Japanese, and I take the Japanese as just the translation of what they are saying. Now still keeping the Japanese-style speaking when translating it to English on the other hand...

Attached: 1463707572770.png (232x293, 85K)

>improving
You're not improving shit, you're just translating the original work to a reasonable degree that's understandable for the audience. Shit's going to get lost in translation no matter what, so there's no reason to be autistic about it. There's a reason people don't just shove translations through Google Translate.

Both times I got sniped it was a machine TL
If it's good I'll just let them have the series

I've never really had the opportunity to hang around with or speak to toddlers enough to say I've ever heard firsthand either, but it's pretty widely noted so I suppose it must be a common thing.

>There's a reason people don't just shove translations through Google Translate.
They do.

>There's a reason people don't just shove translations through Google Translate
Well, you might as well, since half of it would get lost in translation anyway, right?

Clearly you don't read WNs or LNs.

>character originally says "wow, they speak japanese"
>translate it to "wow, they speak english"

Attached: tenor.gif (498x274, 2.02M)

The only issue is that sometimes you'll see an update for a manga you follow and it will turn out to be the a shitty speedscan, no big deal.

>see TN note
>it's dumb pointless commentary about something going on in a panel
>see another TN note in the same chapter
>it's a note saying to check the final page about the context of something that non-japanese people may actually not understand
Why do people do this shit?

Attached: 1.jpg (720x1017, 284K)

>character purchases something/gains money in yen
>translator note converting it to burgerbucks
Every fucking time

Attached: 1513324799344.png (458x477, 97K)

What is "sniping" scanlation?

Are there any manga set in western settings where the mangaka excludes honorifics

That's nothing. There are translators who will put their "funny" comments into the middle of what they are translating. Sometimes without even marking them.

Why always USD? Why not euros or some shit?

That note takes more space than it would take to write "Boys' Love", top stuff.

Sniping is good; scanlators tend to have too big an ego so reminding them from time to time that other people can do what they can do is a necessity.

>charachters speak japanese, have tetraphobia, talk about youkai and eat curry everyday
>translators still insist on putting japanese honorifics everywhere

Attached: 1524507031305.jpg (389x386, 46K)

Because you are supposed to be able to read the manga in 5+ years when the euro has imploded.

Same reason why we translate to English and not German, it's international.

And there is a group of memelords who convert to Norwegian krone.

>talk about youkai
>setting is clearly western

Just like Violet Evergarden haha

>And there is a group of memelords who convert to Norwegian krone.
I just saw that, is this some recent forced meme?

Nah, just their little stupid gimmick.

I'm sure glad one of my favorite mangas have such great scanlators like these.

Attached: 9.jpg (720x1017, 180K)

>complaining about free stuff

"I".

>implying USD is stable

That's crazy!

Attached: 1524875584419.png (609x694, 315K)

Why wouldn't you?

Thanks for the free stuff, I hope you don't mind me just taking what you made, edit out the shit TNs, and reuploading it.

The USA are the most powerful nation, and they are currently closing their economic borders to survive the upcoming market crash.
Meanwhile, Europe, China and Russia are all standing on their last legs.

Why don't you do it? you're all talk do nothing.

>Well it's a childish thing that little children do. Which is usually the point of it's usage. And it's not exclusive to japanese at all, so...

>translators don't buy this excuse when told they're being retarded for translating "mama" to "mommy"

I do use Papa and Mama

Thanks for the free page, faggot.

Attached: nope.jpg (720x1017, 197K)

How does one get into TL?

Attached: 1552511274156.jpg (512x288, 69K)

Well, it's a bit different. Mama and mommy mean the same thing, down to the nuance of being childish, it's just that for some people the latter sound better. "speaks in third person" is a fairly important character trait, so removing it from your translation is not just cosmetic.

Now edit out every kusocake's dying mom death message.

Most of them aren't even real Kanji.
I spotted Fat and Dog. Big 大 isn't even there

God Tier: Photoshop
High Tier: GIMP
Mid Tier: Everything else
Low Tier: Photopea
Shit Tier: Illustrator

>translators that translate "okaa-san" to mommy
How do you even fuck this one up?

Attached: 1512073362799.jpg (789x702, 88K)

>Most of them aren't even real Kanji
That is the joke.

Attached: 1446077892784.gif (497x372, 120K)

>translator translates okaa-san into Big Mom-san

And here we go, another one! If you want your favorite manga to get an update, just snipe them!

Attached: takagi-san.jpg (1379x119, 28K)

it's where you photoshop .50 cal rifles into manga

>anime and manga has been made big in the west for over a decade
>people still haven't standardized a process on scanlation best practices where different groups can produce wildly different results
Why can't you retards get your shit together?

standarized is shit, retard.

Well, because there is no such thing as "best practices".

It worked for programming and web development, why can't it work here?

Because this is a creative field.

Just get together and vote on shit that the majority should do moving forward
>use honorifics or not use honorifics depending on X
>use mama or mommy
>translate sfx or translate depending on X
>etc.

So is programming.

You're delusional if you think everyone wants to agree on any kind of "guideline". I bet you aren't even a scanlator.

And all programers have their own styles and habits as well.

Yeah, have fun with that, It'd be like herding cats with laser pointers strapped to their tails.

And really, what it comes down to is that no one would be willing to go through all that effort just to satisfy your autism. The current equilibrium, where groups have their own guidelines and some aspects of them are similar is all you're gonna get.

The problem here is that you are a retard and should just shut the fuck up.

Why doesn't Yea Forums hate Mangadex as much as any other aggregator?

I HATE IT!

Any aggregator that preserves image quality is fine by my book. You can't avoid mangadex anyway since many groups don't even have a site or blog to host their releases and just use Mangadex as their base of operations.

Other aggregators are just automated ripping sites and 90% is ripped from MD (before it was batoto), because MD actually allows users to upload and doesn't upload if group doesn't want it.

But then everyone and their mom rips Mangadex anyway, so you still can use whatever you like.

You should use MD, though, because of corrections.

How many of you are actually translators that people actually value and not cleaner/typesetter plebs?

I'm a solo scanlator.

Back when manga were still a niche product, there used to be standards.
They were forgotten (or never learned) when manga got big.

It's sort of the same as with how internet communities operated.

Bit of a random question, but how often are Ultra Jump series picked up by scanlation teams? There was a new manga that seemed interesting, but it hasn't been picked up by anyone AFAIK.

Attached: 1531750511023.jpg (900x1280, 487K)

most Seinen manga won't ever get scanlated due to lack of interest and lack of N4-kun translators' ability.

Surprise surprise, the translation is shit too.

Attached: 1548340769621.jpg (650x918, 129K)

>translating うう to ueee
What goes through their mind when they do this

Some user in a previous thread mentioned that there are a shitload of untranslated seinen with cute girls. Is there a list somewhere?

I see, thanks.

List? No need. Since vast majority of them aren't translated
Seinen, whether it's for "real adult" or moe are rarely scanlated at all.

seinen is where the cute girls are

>bottom panel is complete wrong
Haha

holy shit I've been re-reading shaman king and it's full of shit like this

Attached: x20.png (745x1200, 85K)

If I knew the language I would pick random works to piss people off.

What should it say?

I'm already doing that.
It's very fun reading the rage comments.

As a reader, it annoys me to get notifications for duplicate chapters, especially when the new team starts from way back, but I'm overall glad that the new people aren't taking forever to release or have better quality and I blame the inferior group for trying to keep up. As a scanlator, I wish someone as good or better than me would snipe my series so that I don't have to do them anymore.

The use of one's own name instead of a pronoun is unusual and carries meaning. That meaning is lost if you just use a standard pronoun. The question isn't whether or not you should use the name or pretend like an aspect of their characterization doesn't exist, it's whether or not you need to explain the meaning of her speech pattern to the audience. Generally speaking, I'd say it is not since it's well-established in the anime/manga community that it's a childish way of speaking.

Wait, there are people that use Illustrator for scanlaton?

Thanks user
I'm gonna try this

It's hilarious because every single time the one getting "sniped" 100% deserved it. It's amazing how consistent it is.

How do you translate 猫ちゃん?

Attached: neko-chan.jpg (1072x736, 184K)

I love it, that's why I snipe.

You can use it for sfx or designing some titles.

kitty?

Puss in da boots

this

Microsoft Paint is good for a pinch

What's wrong with it?

According to google translate, it looks pretty accurate to me.

>But then everyone and their mom rips Mangadex anyway
Yeah as jpgs and often with watermarks you fucking retard.

How do you even use google translate for manga?

Not him but this is my take on it.

The endless abstinence finally got to me. I almost broke...

I tried to cool my jets by playing a BL game that I mistakenly picked up awhile back

but it kinda turned me on...

Copy & paste kanji until it starts to make sense. Easier to do if the manga has furigana.