What was the best era for the Pokémon anime?

What was the best era for the Pokémon anime?

Attached: cbbbfb2f4c11022ec1f107c33537d6f7.jpg (1080x1080, 136K)

SM

The pokemon anime was always shit. i can't believe people literally watch this garbage when Ash has the same personality as Dora the Explora.

OS

XY > DP > BW > AG > Original > SM

Attached: lucario used japanese cold its super effective.webm (640x512, 2.87M)

>Ash has the same personality as Dora the Explora
That's because it's a children's show.

S&M
It's obvious both the characters and the writers are having the time of their lives, just so fun to watch

Attached: 4b1c352641f6cbc474f029eab2346d21.gif (525x295, 987K)

Ah yes, the season where Ash doesn't earn half of his Gym Badges, skates through the League with Pokemon he caught that happened to be powerful, and outright loses at the end due to his gross incompetence as a trainer.

Good stuff.

Sounds like you described Black and White.

None of the Pokemon Ash caught in BW were powerful.

Anyone saying anything other than DP is massively blue-pilled.

You're right. BW is even worse.

(You)

Attached: d6ad1c07dcef895aea8b3f7d1972cc7d.jpg (735x516, 82K)

SM

Satoshi looks very chad in XY

XY was interesting when Greninja was in there

Xyz Satoshi got cucked from the prize by a Lizardon of all things
Xyz Pikachu got sidelined by Gekouga
>Literally battle an opponent with type disadvantage using a cheat code Pokemon
>Lose

Attached: a4c1a7bd88c0b45988ee97dbd72d71fe.jpg (736x1040, 137K)

SM
It has the best cast by far

Attached: 63fc1b66e4133d713537827350956449.jpg (470x640, 94K)

Even though Pikachu was kinda sidelined, he put in the work in his last league battle at least. Comparatively some of his other team looked pathetic.

I would say DP but there was too much fucking filler.

DP

>Satoshi
Did you guys not watch the original series as kids or something? How can anyone not know him as fucking Ash Ketchum?

SM is kino.

>Did you not shit your diaper as a kid? How can you wear pants?

DP is good. It's a shame we'll never get a full series like Generations.

Attached: 1474311509659.gif (500x550, 995K)

Neither, ash and brock have a skin tone too close to criminal.

Be glad GODrata has graced you

Attached: odxupuw1dju21.png (1024x717, 1.39M)

Wtf is SM? Why did they replace Ashe with a Brazilean?

They’re boomers give em a break

You grow up and your learn. You're still stuck in the fucking past.

Only 5 more months of SM cancer until SS Kino

Honestly Orange Island is top tier for me. Everyone says that is doesn't count but he won't that fucking league. He took down that Dragonite. And fuck all you who say other wise.

The original, at least it felt fresh, every other season is just rehashing its plots.
It also happened to have the best gym plot (Sabrina).

They wanted to be Yokai Watch

Ash's team in Sinnoh actually had arcs. Infernape goes without saying, Torterra had to deal with slowing down when it evolved, Buizel decided he liked battles more than contests and eventually mastered ice jet, and Gliscor learned to weave in and out of battle. No other season compares. If only the middle was stretched out a little less and the ending wasn't so rushed, it could have been the perfect season.

>writers have DP Ash lose to Gary Stu using fucking legendaries
Nothing will top that bullshit.

Attached: Tobias vs Ash.jpg (1280x720, 195K)

Original is the best. Ash was still a dumbass but in the typical shonen way not in the resetting his memories and making him 10 forever way.
The world building was better too because they weren’t shackled to the game’s plot so they could do more premises like that guy with the unsanctioned Pokemon gym, or the town where there were two gyms fighting each other.
Also it had soul.

Attached: Ash's First League Loss.jpg (480x360, 17K)

>Nothing will top that bullshit.

Attached: Ash vs Cameron.jpg (1280x720, 220K)

It's bullshit but come on, look at Ash's team. What kind of shit is that

Ash vs Harrison wasn't THAT bad

Attached: Ash vs Harrison.jpg (1280x720, 199K)

Why the fuck does this kid use the shittiest pokemon

This was pure cancer

Sceptile and prime Pikachu are the only acceptable options here.

The Johto League was retarded because if you had the type advantage you were basically guaranteed to lose.

Picking Sleep Talk Guts Heracross into Darkrai is the smartest thing Ash has ever done

Personally I think the original is best because of nostalgia. I loved watching Pokemon as a kid, but nowadays with my life experiences I think I have to say SM is the best. It's just such a breath of fresh air for Pokemon and especially so since it directly followed up XY.

The real question is how Cynthia beat him

Attached: Kensho Ono vs Ash.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

Attached: Rica Matsumoto.png (1018x653, 1.16M)

It blows my mind how good her Satoshi singing voice is

It seriously was.

The only other character recognize is the thing from gundam

Go back to your containment board faggot. At least the MLP fags know their place.

And he immediately ruined that smart decision by bringing fucking Gible.

Why doesn't he ever evolve his Pokemon? What's his major malfunction?

I don't know which one it was but I remember Ash's Charizard using seismic toss against a ghost type. I couldn't believe it

Whats so special about those plots? A lot of later seasons have creative and amazing filler plots like the evil space-alien Togepi in DP, the dream thief episode of BW, the mirror world alternative realty and time traveling episodes of XY. The DP episodes where Kojiro dresses as Musashi to compete in her contest for her, or the XY episodes with the evil Calamanero who wanted to rule the world and would mind control and take over people in positions of power where Satoshi and Team Rocket had to team up.

Lots of creative, fun episodes/

Diamond and Pearl

Attached: 1553162016094.jpg (486x700, 120K)

Fake Satoshi episode was GOAT

Attached: Fake Satoshi.png (1280x720, 1.11M)

Those two episodes of evil squids went absolutely nowhere and I'm pretty sure it was a dropped Team Flare plot when they restructured for XYZ.

Oh you.

Attached: 1555967183093.jpg (1000x1107, 250K)

What an AWFUL team.

Attached: 20190119_022324.jpg (704x634, 72K)

XY and SM. Also first season for childhood nostalgia, the Mewtwo movie was amazing.

Battle frontier against Dusclops.

BW. XY was the worst.

Attached: negaishipping_by_kurumierika-d53doqw.jpg (845x945, 87K)

It infuriates just how they wrote Ash vs Tobias for the viewers.
>Competent DP Ash actually chooses Heracross first for the type advantage against Darkrai
>Heracross manages to land a megahorn against Darkrai
>nope just kidding Ash loses 3 pokemon against Darkrai next
>Tobias also spams type effectiveness moves against Ash pokemon's.
>Fucking Latios.
>Make Ash demonstrate his relentless fighting spirit flipping his hat backwards despite already acknowledging his hopeless situation.
>At least they make Pikachu show his worth knocking out Latios.

Attached: 143989403890.jpg (800x824, 297K)

Original and SM, obviously.

Thanks, I was so mad that episode.

>and outright loses at the end due to his gross incompetence as a trainer.
He lost because of Team Rocket making Pidgeotto unable to fight and Pikachu too tired to take down a fucking charmander.

He could have crushed Butterfree and Charmander with Pidgeotto and then defeated Sparky with Pikachu.

Look what they did to muh boi

ash fault for not evolving his mons.

The first season easily had the most heart and world building put into it, along with each character fulfilling a proper dynamic. The main cast had great chemistry and Ash had a personality and a reason to make the mistakes that he does. Unfortunately it could never shape up to have a full six vs. six Pokemon battle, Ash never filled his empty sixth slot full-time, and Team Rocket fucked up the league across several episodes, but ultimately this was the era when it felt the most like a show and the least like an ad.

Hoenn gets some credit for giving May something to do, but Sinnoh is where the Contests truly came into their own. Ash was also at his most competent, Paul was an excellent rival for the show, Team Galactic were actual villains with a fulfilling arc, and the battles were great. This was the second peak of the series, and if you liked the first season but dropped out of Pokemon from then on, Sinnoh is the only other material that's really worth watching.

Kalos did some things right, such as great battle scenes and giving Ash some competence back, and Alain was an OVA character who had some neat stuff along with a villain team that could try being a real threat again, but ultimately it was too hollow. Serena was garbage with her unrequited feelings Ash didn't even realize existed, and her dog shows were terribly underwhelming after the Contests, especially since we didn't even see her big opponent perform. Even worse, we saw just enough of the performance that it wasn't supposed to be a mind-blowing display left to anyone's imagination. The league also was an example of executive mandate kicking in perhaps even harder than with Sinnoh's final competitor, and it's ridiculous that they even allowed the episode to get so close to the point where the illusion of Ash winning is outed as a lie.

Attached: Dragonite at the Lighthouse (Pokemon).jpg (600x517, 32K)

Cynthia never fought him. That's either a misconception from fans who think the league winner automatically challenges the Elite Four or a lie perpetuated to make people feel better.

Did she voice normal Bakura or evil Bakura? The latter is in your image but I don't recall him sounding similar to Ash.

Xy by far.
The original series comes closely after

Once they evolve they stop listening to him

That wasn't even the worst part. Later the other characters act as if he's in the wrong for being upset about losing after he wasn't allowed to let his mons heal.

And as a result he is rightfully punished in the league. Satisfying ending.

Original series where Ash is understandably making mistakes and doesn't win the championship because it's his first year. Everything is fresh and there's even hints of romance with Misty. After that it's the same thing all over again but it's as if nothing really happened in the original series. And then it happens again. And again. And again. After a while Ash is just this forever 10 year old is having the same adventures as when he first started out and just as dumb. And he'd have actually won a championship IF HE DIDN'T FUCKING KEEP GIVING AWAY HIS FUCKING POKEMON!

Attached: e45.png (720x528, 521K)

The best pokemon series is [the one that aired when I was the target demographic's age of 10 years old]

How is the champion decided and what purpose does the E4 serve then?

DP. Ash team of pokemon and game was the best in that season.

League winners only earn eligibility into something called the champions league. It's not said or implied that they begin participating right away, or even how many people are involved in that league. Tobias may well have not begun it yet, or he's fighting other league winners in perpetuity (due to the nature of the show) and has yet to even face an Elite Four member.

The pokemon tourneys Ash always jobs at are actually just pleb filters for something called the champion's league which is the E4+champion challenge.
Jobbing at the tournament is the same as getting filtered by victory road.

this would actually be pretty compelling if they explored it more. i guess ash doesn't do too bad for a kid, but it'd be nice to see him move forward

Who is the best Pokemom?

Attached: 1555717008852.jpg (1009x376, 131K)

XY up until the shitty league.

The badges should prevent that, but the anime doesn't follow the game in some regards.

only like the first 52 episodes were good

This battle made Ash look good compared to his other league losses. Nothing after this came close to the epicness of him taliking down two legendaries.

XY Ash was pretty chad as the mentor figure in the group.

Oh the pity badges! Oh my disobdient Charizard!

Early seasons he was an asshole though.

You sound like you only judge things for power levels instead of narrative competence, like a typical brainlet

The strongest Ash is the one during the Battle Frontier since he won most of them, in the games they are above a champion, but reverted to 0 once dp started like always.

There should be a Pokemon card game anime.

Attached: 1286953034664.jpg (680x544, 99K)

The next episode made up for that embarrassing debacle.

Saw her live making a small concert in latinamerica almost a year ago. She's pretty great, shame the translator was an idiot. Japanese guys behind my back were making fun of the translator.

Do you even know what an "OVA" means, you moron?

Sadly black and white is the worst era for the anime, and it's a shame since the main games are the best written of the entire francise (gen 5 for a lot of years was considered the shittiest, just flew years ago it were reconsidered by many people as the best one)

It was not satisfying, it was frustrating.

I dropped everything related to Pokemon after not liking Sapphire. It's just the same thing over and over again.

>It's almost like it's a videogame series!

Videogame series walk a fine line. On the one hand, they need to be recognizable as belonging to the same series from an atmospheric perspective. On the other hand, each entry needs to bring enough to the table so as to not feel like a rehash with added fluff. Gold and Silver was basically Red and Blue Plus, so that works, but I don't see how they can do a straight upgrade from Gold and Silver, and it doesn't look like the franchise has been revamped.

disobedient Charizard was unironically a cool character trait based on the game mechanic; it was super hype whenever he actually got off his ass and did shit like vs Blaine's Magmar for example

I watched the first season as it aired in America and as an adult I watched XY/XYZ...

They both have their pros and cons, but I actually liked XYZ better because it felt like the pacing was on point.

Also, Serena is objectively better than Misty.

Attached: 74E4C228-BE8D-46B3-951D-919E3457E3A5.jpg (500x375, 68K)

The fact that he managed to take down two pokemon of the guy who blitzed all the gym leaders and all the other competition with one makes this Ash's most epic battle.

XY>AG>DP>Orange Islands OS > SM > OS > Johto > BW

She wasn't the original VA. Bakura changed VA roughly in the Battle City arc onwards

The first one cause muh film grain

Attached: Pokemonep1 (1).mkv_snapshot_00.43_[2019.04.26_15.51.35].jpg (1460x1080, 1.15M)

>pokemon games > pokemon anime
>digimon anime > digimon games
Prove me wrong

Attached: 66747906e86984ce4ce0c8c8a1b7a78b63733bf21d4beb4ab1dea13652a81f5c.jpg (500x402, 28K)

Digimon World 1 is way better than anything Digimon shat out as an anime

>Serena
>better than anyone

go back shitposting in /vp/

Yo Inoue (Sayla Mass, Kanuka) voiced Bakura early on before her health quality dropped significantly.

Rica took over the role with Battle City onward.