I just marathoned the FMA manga...

I just marathoned the FMA manga. My opinion is that it was bad and felt like the author put tons of filler in to stretch out the run. What are your opinions of it? Also King Bradley was probably the best character, with Ed being one of the worse characters.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 6.14.42 PM.png (245x245, 114K)

alright, there are some valid criticisms of fma, but having filler is definitely not one of them lol. its incredibly tight, feels half its actual length

>tons of filler
What? Have you read any other shonen? FMA is very fast paced.

My major gripes are pretty much just two things

1) The last arc
2) No consequences (tbf most shonens suffer from this)

What I mean by (2) is that early in the series we see deaths of Nina Tucker and Hughes that establish the danger of the world and add suspense and tension as a result. After those deaths, I don't recall anyone that important dying again until near endgame (I guess Lust but w/e). Also how many times does Envy almost die?

That said, one of my favorite parts of the series is the fights because there's almost no power scaling and many of the fights are group fights instead of 1v1 muh power level shit

King Bradley was a generic evil dictator for most of the series (every version) with his just happening to be a homunculi being the only real twist.

I didn't think the manga had a lot of filler, other than the dude and chick from totally-not-China.

Both anime adaptations are really flawed. FMA 2003 because the first half is mostly villain-of-the-week filler storylines, FMA: Brotherhood because the last 20 episodes are several multi-episode fight arcs in a row that feel like the story is checking off boxes of major antagonists to defeat.

>No consequences
Why does everyone think consequences/stakes=a high kill count? Some HBO series where characters die every episode doesn't have consequences if the characters are so undeveloped that you don't care about them. You might as well just watch shit like Akame ga Kill if all you care about is the number of deaths.

Because it's a battle shonen. If it's detective conan or some shit, yeah w/e there's no reason for death to be involved in the plot. But if characters are battling with the intent to kill and it barely happens or no one is gravely injured, or even worse, pretty much only bad guys die, there's not much tension or weight to any of the fights.

Even more so in series like SnK where constant death is established early on, but deep into the manga, it becomes exceedingly rare for anyone in the main cast to be in danger and a bunch of fodder dies.

To add on, it's also shitty in series like Promised Neverland where kids can rag on some demons with just about 0 deaths even though those very same demons are supposed to be established hunters.

I don't know. Never finished it and never will desu

Fight.

Attached: 8A6B289C-27AA-43C1-8262-8FDEEF71AFBF.png (640x448, 486K)

FMA for the first half and FMAB for the second.

I thought the manga, 2003, and Brotherhood are all excellent and very enjoyable overall. Each has their own flaws and missteps, but each excels in their storytelling and does something better than its alternatives and each is worth a watch.

>was a generic evil dictator
What? He definitely has a distinct personality to him. He generally presents the face of an extremely affable gentleman. He's charismatic and badass and so is admired despite the atrocities he mandates. In the 2003 anime, it's true that he embraces his inhumanity, thinking himself as a superior being, but in the manga and Brotherhood, we get a strong sense of his inner self and how his life's lack of personal agency grated against him (as it grated against the Dwarf in the Flask himself). He's pretty damn well-developed.

You've got it backwards. FMA:B's last several episodes were very weak.

The only advantage to FMA:B is it ended with a canon Ed x Winry ship. But FMA 03 is creative and ends with Hohenheim traveling to the real world to study Nazi Occultism which is an interesting twist that ties into the very underrated sequel movie.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 181K)

This shit character nearly made me drop it.

Attached: may ching chang.jpg (595x640, 36K)

The Ishvalans had some plot relevance. The fake-Chinese people on the other hand were just a product of Arakawa's lady boner for Chinese culture.

I can get not being a fanboy of it but filler is not one of the reasons to dislike it. Obviously just a faggot trying to hate popular things.

fullmetal alchemist is one of those series that is genuinely good and everyone should like (or at least not actively hate), but because it's very popular, you always get a few shitters who need to scream about how much they hate it.

You know why FMA 2003 is better? Because Rose is a major character throughout and the Father Cornello storyline in the pilot episode actually ties closely into the second season story arc.

Did you guys enjoy Sacred Star of Milos?

If you thought he was evil at the start you're a leftist bleeding heart faggot desu

I finished the first series and dropped Brotherhood around the 30 episode mark, so I guess I'll pick the former.

Literally the best manga ever made but ok

>I'm a contrarian who pretends he can't tell that a character who looks like a Saddam Hussein body double is supposed to be a villain in an anime geared toward western fans

ftfy

It literally has 0 filler. Op is just a screeching retard

>dimension travelling shit is good
Yeh no

Fuck off MALfag.

giant heap of dogshit
barely even an FMA movie, it's yet another movie that solely exists to promote sakamoto's music career

It's funny. The 2003 anime is 50 percent filler story arcs for the first half of the show, and that's the half that people claim to like best.

What, you mean the character with the title of Fuhrer President is a bad guy?

>wrapping up a story is bad
Those fights were all amazing too

He looked more like a generic German chancellor or general to me which is why he's called Fuhrer you fucking tard.

>dropped Brotherhood around the 30 episode mark
Why would you drop it right in the best part?

It's not that the story got wrapped up. It's how it was wrapped up. The animators made each fight scene too many episodes too long and had no sense of narrative pacing after the 30 episode mark.

Bradley did literally nothing wrong

just watched fma (brotherhood) for the first time two weeks ago and i thought it was good overall. oh yeah and i fuck the shit out of lust

Fuhrer King. And the Fuhrer part just represented that it was a military dictatorship. But while he was a dictator and didn't care for foreigners, the people and his soldiers all loved him and he treated them well. We had every reason to believe he was a good man, to his own at least.

He was responsible for Hughes' death and his respect for his soldiers was insincere.
Before that reveal though he was a good guy.

Good. Now watch the 2003 anime and both sequel movies. Pick up the light novels and PS2 games while you're at it.

I don't really remember why I dropped Brotherhood back then, guess I just wasn't all that engaged and there was a lot of other stuff I had to finish watching. Maybe I'll give the series a rewatch once I'm done with Mawaru Penguindrum here, it may be better than I remember.

Attached: 1426949622672.jpg (1201x1065, 204K)

>Most characters except the Xing people and Ishvalans are supposed to be Europeans
>Everyone in the live action adaptation is Asian

The entire backbone of the series makes no fucking sense.
- The baddies need 5 people who've done human transmutation, except they don't because they can just force someone to do it anyway. That's a bad thing for them, allegedly, but it's not really touched upon.
- Considering they only managed to find a small handful of sacrifices after who knows how many years of searching, they decide to leave all of these people completely unsupervised instead of holding them in a cell till the required date. It's not like they're being chased by serial killers, could get into an accident, or leave the country.
- The only reason why they had such a hard time finding sacrifices in the first place is that they, the government, made human transmutation illegal.

>tons of filler in to stretch out the run

Attached: t48.jpg (378x372, 75K)

>tons of filler in to stretch out the run
Jesus nigga... at least try better next time.

Mob psycho > all FMAs

>Bradley's murdertrain at the end
fucking glorious

Attached: 1552451902716.png (337x194, 98K)

>people claim to like best.
who?

Mob psycho Has a better final arc.

The ??? Arc > everyone vs father arc

I think my 2 legitimate complaints about brotherhood are:

1) so many convenient coincidences, the one that sticked out the most to me was when Ed and Al were fighting Scar and then Winry is walking around the district and she can somehow hear WHISPERS in a crowd and they're like "yea the brothers are fighting the guy that has killed like a 100 dudes", and she goes after them, and of course the moment she finds them in the middle of an entire district is when Ed is demanding an explanation for him killing Winry's mom and dad. I had to pause the show to laugh, it was ridiculous.

There's a bunch of instances like that too, just convenient placement of characters which yea it's fair for an author to do but there are some critical parts to the story where if not for coincidence the show ends right there and they all die in the eclipse.

2) Some dramatic moments are pretty weak, which is funny cause it also has strong as fuck ones. I think the one that angers me the most is that they didn't let Mustang kill Envy despite the fact that he literally roasted Lust to death. I know it's a shounen and killing is the big bad, but he already did it like let the man have revenge for his best bro. In fact he killed a ton of totally-not-muslims.

There's the fact that only highly skilled alchemists can perform human transmutation, it's not like they can just get a random Joe to do it.

Hence why they made zero effort to ensure that they're highly talented state alchemists knew nothing about it, and made sure to put the ones who did know in as dangerous of situations as possible unsupervised.

>filler
There is fair criticism and then there is just fabricating shit in some desperate attempt to justify not liking something. The two are nothing alike so I'm not sure how you mixed em up.

The only one who can force it is Pride and doing so breaks down his body.

>The only one who can force it is Pride
And his incredibly busy schedule prevents him from doing so.
>and doing so breaks down his body.
This is the same Father who later murders Pride.

I think it would have been too hard to capture and keep 5 high level philosophers all in cages... once word got out that these philosophers were getting kidnapped/disappearing they would make themselves scarce

>live action version is produced in Asia
>expecting them to have a ton of European actors to use

They have complete, total control of the government.
>Edward and Alphonse Elric "killed by serial killer".
>Elderly town doctor who everyone already believes is dead.
>A housewife.
>A soldier.
>An immortal man that no one knows about.
Who the fuck is going to put that together as a conspiracy.

And they have, you know, a being that completely shuts down alchemy as their boss.

Silver Spoon is Arakawa's best work.

Attached: mikageaki.gif (500x281, 971K)

Way to misspell Hero Tales