Why is there no anime that displays depression, mental illness and loneliness as is...

Why is there no anime that displays depression, mental illness and loneliness as is? Like one about some ill 4channeler with focus on his mental life and schizophrenic daydreams?
What I've seen so far is that such things get rather romanticized and the MC grows out of it but none where he loses to it. Is it too much of a taboo topic for Japan?

Attached: 1553532354534.png (319x309, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/electroconvulsive-therapy/about/pac-20393894.
youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_hNkTlN5E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's less about it being a taboo topic and more about anime aiming to be a means of escapism for otaku, of whom a larger percentage trend towards hikikomori/depressive behaviours. The success of things such as Osamu Dazai's "No Longer Human" evidence that Japan is willing to talk about these things, but it has little place in anime unless it has either a happy or an Abe-y ending, like NHK.

> why does corporate-made entertainment extol the values of the society in which said corporate entities exist
These anime tell you to "get a jerb" or "just be yourself" because these are the thoughtless answers that are common in mainstream society and the vast majority of content creators don't care to go beyond that.

I was about to say Komi-San but her social anxiety is pretty infantalized.
The Japanese are pretty shy by Murican standards so there could a pretty big difference between them.

Realistic mental illness tends to be more boring than depressing

>Why is there no anime that displays depression, mental illness and loneliness as is?
because no one cares about you, you useless shit, go back to r9k with your bullshit

Get a job you lazy bum

Shut the fuck and I hope you get cucked, Nagatoro

I see. Shame, i think it hinders the medium to develop to be as open as film.
However, manga should be able to cover these topics since they can be one man projects and such cover a broader range of topics.

Isn't there enough? If nhk and eva (on the loneliness part) is not enough that you wanted something more depressing to be made, that's just cause it'd get stale really quick.

Read 'My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness'.

Dosent pic related and NHK along with lolifox from this season kinda go into all the topics you bring up?

Attached: 3481033_1394468135335.95res_337_300.jpg (337x300, 39K)

It's an autobiography, and the mangaka is pretty fucked up with mental health. How her family reacts to her depression rings pretty true.
>get over it
>just be yourself lmao
I don't know what it's like to have an eating disorder but that locker thing was pretty messed up.

For one thing, I think animation as a medium doesn't lend itself to auteurism as well as live action. Film directors can exert absolute control over a set and what gets shot. It's simply not possible to micromanage a team of dozens of animators the same way. You give them detailed instructions, and they submit drafts until they get it right. Meanwhile all of that communication gives the producers plenty of time to pre-approve and monitor everything. Because it's possible to sculpt anime exactly to the sponsors' specifications, there's less demand for creative and unique storytelling.
I guarantee there are plenty of independent manga out there about depression and mental illness. They just aren't likely to get made into anime, because production committees aren't interested in taking the chance.

>lolifox
what anime is that?

The whole point is to encourage you faggots to actually try and get out of it.

yeah, if I just had a superpower I could get out of it, but alas I don't so I'm forced to be somebody's background character
but maybe I should jump in front of truck-kun for a chance at getting isekai'd, those stories usually end up fine

how new?

Attached: 1532630831344.jpg (960x540, 71K)

>user wants to discuss how a certain topic is portrayed in japanese media
>lol go back to place I don't like I'm so tough
It's for anons like you that this board can't discuss anything more complex than which character would u fuck lol

Read more, you dumb newfag

Attached: 1555779044299.png (900x1300, 353K)

Why you guys want your destructive life style to be accepted and glorified?

your mopey ass is anything but complex

OP is literally talking about not having it glorified you utter speedreader

I've seen it appear sometimes in manga/anime I wasn't expecting.
One Punch Man caught me off-guard with how weirdly real the symptoms of depression were portrayed with Saitama

Attached: saitama_introspection4.png (800x1257, 1.24M)

Exploring something in depth is not glorifying it.

That's exactly what OP wants. That's why he talks about stories where the main character abandoned such lifestyle with disdain.
You want people to pity and to praise you instead of treating you with hatred and scorn (as it should be).

Whatever you say Mr Peterson

Why should depressed people be treated with hatred and scorn? Do you not feel compassion as a human being? Fucking scum.

>That's why he talks about stories where the main character abandoned such lifestyle with disdain.
Not him, nor OP. Just entered this thread. Just sayin' you're full of shit. Disdain for such endings doesn't mean a desire for mental illness to be glorified. It could mean he wants to see it treated seriously and not just shoved away with "and then everything turned out all right!" hackneyed bullshit.

Yea Forums is negativity central. Just name an anime or manga, any particular one, and say that you unironically enjoy it. You'll be flooded with comments about your shit taste.

Because depression doesn't exist; it's just a mix of narcissism and laziness.
The "depressed" just wants to leech its family / the government forever.

i don't feel compassion for worthless sacks of shit

Ah yes, depression doesn't exist, of course the anonymous poster on Yea Forums is more correct than doctors over the globe who've proved otherwise.
I hope you'll be able to stick to your guns when someone you love falls under the same condition.
Your self-esteem must be rock-bottom then, user.
It's far easier to feel gratification from mooching off the negativity of others, that's why you simultaneously can meet the worst and the best sorts of people on this site

I think that one of the best representations of depressions in anime is ironically in Idolm@ster with Chihaya, because its not something that's just resolved like "wow I can be happy again" but more like she learns to keep moving on but its also something that will always affect her life in some way or another.

Sangatsu no Lion did a good job of this though.

doctors all over the globe were also recommending an electro convulsive therapy and lobotomy not so long ago
you should go and try that, bitch emo kid

Watamote

Attached: 51NT6V2n5iL._SY445_.jpg (315x445, 40K)

Because tv anime can't do a head on discussion of the topic justice in a way that works artistically and also sells; manga or shorts/movies have a better chance. You either end up with something idealized like NHK (which feels is a fucking comedy, especially if you have read the LN) or something indirect like Haibane.
Tatami was about depression and isolation but because of the way the story was told you didn't know that until the last two episodes or whatever it was so the feeling wasn't pervasive. That shows message seemed to be geared toward motivating through though instead of wallowing in depression so it worked.
Hang in there Aiko.

Amazing comeback, the user saying "lol depression isn't real. Doctors? nah they don't know SHIT like paul joseph watson does!" calls other people emo.

Funny given how hard you guys complain about said doctors declaring homosexuality to not be a mental illness.

senko-san

Euh they still use electric shock therapy and it works great, nor is it bad for your health you brainlet. As for lobotomy, yeah that shit was fucked up, only happened for a couple of years and was only done with patients where everything else had been tried already. Sometimes Mentally ill people can only suffer from life. Isn't it better for them to ease their suffering than to just let them commit suicide eventually?

thanks

Who the fuck are "you guys"? Nice job moving the goalposts you retard, take some lessons in biology before you try and sound smart on a taiwanese drawing board

>electric shock therapy is not bad for your health
Nigga what
Maybe a very moderate one isn't but the vast majority is a step below chemo in intrusiveness, there's a reason why a fucking exorcism is prescribed more often than that

Who the fuck wants to look at depressed people. Did you forget entertainment is meant to entertain and not be some strange version of slacktivism?

Don’t pay attention to the retarded NEET. It’s more like, the kind of anime you are thinking of would have these problems

>realistically, they would be depressing, without a very satisfactory ending
>if there is a “happy ending” it would probably feel like hollywood shit - “and then protag-kun lived happily ever after with his girl, with all his mental problems solved”
>otakus would likely reject a work that delivers well placed criticism to their degenerate or lazy lifestyles

Did you not watch end of Eva?

Read about it faggot: mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/electroconvulsive-therapy/about/pac-20393894. One google search away, it's amazing. You never have to be wrong on the internet again...

Not op but I think it could be funny, seeing a downward spiral with it just getting worse and worse seems appealing

>Who the fuck wants to look at depressed people
people with a steady supply of schadenfreude

>some strange version of slacktivism?
That was what came to my mind with op's statement. An expensive version of the shit people post on their facebook walls fishing for likes.

Do you think depressed people don't work? Sorry to bust your bubble buddy.

Because entertainment comes in all forms. You think people want to watch non stop shonen protagonists will their way through every problem ever? It nice to see characters express some other of the human emotions.

being a worthless bitch is not an emotion

Jesus Christ, are you 12? Of Mice and Men with its bleak plot is enternainment and literally every book, movie and piece of art is entertainment, too. There are many works dealing with gloomy stuff, an author doesn't need to write about pleasant things in life to make an audience enjoy his work. What a fucking retard.

Attached: But I'm not only retarded.jpg (747x919, 116K)

Putting aside that this isn't what op said, as opposed to the life style of what, addict criminals trafficking to the mafia? I mean, no life style is perfect.

>Swallowing the blue pill
Of Mice and Men is (or rather was) political propaganda, just like Animal Farm, Mark Twain novels and To Kill a Mockingbird et al. Nobody actually reads these dry, unsubtle novels with uninspired prose for entertainment, only because they're required reading for literature courses.

I'm Ukrainian, I read it for entertainment and I liked it. Now what?

They do because they have to.
They invented depression to not have to.

>being this bluepilled
The employed fuckos invented depression so they could have all the jobs to themselves. If they even see someone they don't want to hire, they can just say "Well, economy sure is bad and this looks like a depressed fucko anyway and that's crimethink, I hate them." and keep the jobs. Poor neets have no choice but to turn into escapism every day because of this, unable to wageslave.

Punpun is completely unrelatable. Just some normie with a slightly DAMAGED past, just like most normies.

I mean it’s lretty close to having a anime with a difliksble main character. Re Zero is a good example of anime with a hero who has very dislikable traits.

>tfw schizophrenic
>tfw 2 weeks from getting a engineering degree I probably don’t deserve and put minimal effort into

>pill
Stopped reading here.

If you're "Muh Depressed", fucking kill yourself and save us the trouble of having to listen to your whining.

Ah, yes, because work is the ultimate purpose in life. People didn't work such long hours before the industrial revolution, and humans naturally had polyphasic sleep schedules (many cultures have an afternoon nap). The influx of mental illness is caused by the amount of unnatural things we do just so we can work for our Jewish overlords.

sounds like Shamo

Attached: ryona.jpg (1600x1278, 128K)

Why reply to bait? All the boomers who are still high on cold-era propaganda are on /pol/. There's no one who would unironically believe this sort of thing on Yea Forums.

Attached: 1376822_Latvian_ShowMasterKeyArt_1859eded-a378-e711-8175-020165574d09.jpg (3000x1688, 992K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_hNkTlN5E

>People didn't work such long hours before the industrial revolution
look at this poor little sheltered city boy

[citation needed]

Preindustrial farmers ate several loaves of bread in a day. They consumed 3000-4000 calories, just to stay alive. How could they possibly do that if they weren't working? What would be the point of an afternoon nap if you have no source of light after the sun goes down?

It's providing you with a role model in the hope you'll stop wasting your life. Most depression is situational*, and can be exacerbated by doing the things depressed people do, and ameliorated by doing the things healthy people do.

* apart from yours, of course!

Attached: 4L_AOsSVR6U.jpg (1672x945, 120K)

I am beyond tired of armchair psychologist normie fucks on youtube "analyzing" this shit. It's all over my feed because I clicked on one fucking weeb video goddamn clickbait algorithm. I blame Bill Burr

>People didn't work such long hours before the industrial revolution
Ahahahahahahaha

Because the sun is at it hottest in the afternoon
You never heard of a siesta?

Watamote tried to then backlash made them change it into a generic yuri harem
Wasted potential

You've never read shoujo/josei you uncultured swine.

I dont buy the ptaku escapism argument

Depressed people tend to be drawn to depressing art
Where's my bad ending that validates them?
Doesnt the good ending that magically fixed ones life out of nowhere feel like a slap in the face?

Attached: 1518116661924.png (620x640, 260K)

Seconded. Josei is so underrated

Attached: Screenshot_20190426-011744_Tachiyomi.jpg (1080x1528, 1.11M)

Assumed this isn't trolling, it's certainly true that our quality of life is fucking leaps and bounds above our ancestors, but we also work more hours than ever before to maintain that supply of goodies. Medieval peasants worked less than 8 hours a day because they took long breaks for every meal plus naps, and they celebrated so many holidays they only worked 2/3 of the year. Cope.

Attached: Screenshot_20190426-012709_Manga Rock.jpg (1021x1435, 721K)

This isn't just about work hours. For example, Marx wrote a fair amount about the impact of wage labour on social relations. I think that Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844, particularly Money and Alienated Man as well as Alienated Labour are worth reading. They're fairly short and very interesting if you care about the way labour has changed over the course of history.

Attached: gup_mika_consider_the_following2.png (1040x1250, 344K)

Attached: Screenshot_20190426-013021_Manga Rock.jpg (990x1388, 462K)

Marx is garbage and most of his pronouncements on how history actually was were simply his own ideologically-convenient fabrications.

Let me guess, you only read the communist manifesto half-way before giving up?

Attached: illya_commie.png (480x480, 415K)

all trash!

Attached: 80b05dfd22e5dd69adb99a58271299d90ecab252_500.jpg (554x439, 106K)

aint you seen Welcome to the NHK?

Anyone else here give up on life and start using stimulants? Modafanil is a wonder drug makes you feel like a god if you take it sparingly, if you take it everyday you lose the superhuman effect though.

>Like one about some ill 2channeler with focus on his mental life and schizophrenic daydreams?

Attached: MV5BMjUxMzE4ZDctODNjMS00MzIwLThjNDktODkwYjc5YWU0MDc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3OTE4Nzk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182 (182x268, 16K)

Kill the mentally ill depressed. Erase them away from the gene pool

Just medicate them. Strong stimulants cure depression

>loli-fox
>about depression and anxiety
really?

Okabe isn’t really mentally ill man he’s just a chuunii. If he was actually mentally ill he’d hear voices or have depression (although in Zero he has PTSD for a fact so I guess that counts)

Wrong!

Attached: 0015-001.jpg (1334x1600, 162K)

The protagonist is a depressed wageslave. BUT he gets a loli-fox spirit. so technically yes.

>thinks some big scary organization is out to get him
>not mentally ill
What?

Don't get pissy, mods, it's totally on topic.

Attached: Marxwasright(wrong).jpg (220x293, 25K)

He absolutely knows he's full of shit though. It's a chuuni persona.

It’s just chuuni delusions. Again if it was actually psychosis there’d be other symptoms.

I dont remember the name of this one but it was pretty good

Attached: 1546463955920.png (477x877, 114K)

>Of Mice and Men is (or rather was) political propaganda
Uh...you sure you're not confusing it with something else? Of Mice and Men was about how the "work hard and you'll be able to obtain the American Dream" thing was a crock of shit.

This, it did a good job in portraying this kind of emotions, the metaphorical scenes of stress, anxiety, loneliness are what makes the anime adaptation shine.

Read the reply chain. Non-americans eat that shit up, it's how we get our steady supply of warm bodies to exploit. Also, look at the other books he cited as propaganda. it's bait

'She doesn't know why she lives' is the title.

>NEETs defending the middle ages work hours when they consider working on itself to be an abomination, singing at the tune of "Wagey cagey"

If it doesn't exist then why are there doctors and psychologists that dedicate their lives to it and acknowledge it as a clinical diagnosis?
Or do you know more than all of them?

That’s because modern work is an abomination. There’s tons of people who want to work but can’t while the ones that can are worked like slaves. It’s a joke.

Come on.
Don't pretend you would like to work as a middle ages farmer

Don't respond to bait, user.

You're right. Unfortunately it's hard to tell nowadays with all these /pol/types.

I actually am really glad I found the manga about Autism recently. It's bitter sweet.

Attached: WTL.png (579x828, 391K)

Physical later beats the shit out of office work in my opinion, as someone who has dabbled in both. You don’t get the same endorphin release working at a desk.

That’s being said worrying about starving doesn’t seem fun, not going to defend that aspect

>Why is there no anime that displays depression, mental illness and loneliness as is?
Man did you lived under a rock for the past 30 years?

Attached: 5bfcc5ebf333a.jpg (620x356, 51K)

I do need to find scans to download or to actually buy the volumes though in some way. I don't like that I'm reading off MangaRock

Attached: WTLS.png (580x831, 373K)

Literally Welcome to the NHK. At least the novel.

Literally just normalfag teenagers being angsty. Shinji was the least lonely human being. He had 6 people fretting over him at least. The only lonely person in that anime is the mob tech with the long hair.

They do, you just haven't read enough. If you go even just a little deep into the manga rabbit hole, you'll find dozens of excellent stories that will never just adapted just by virtue of covering material that's taboo on television.

There is. It's called One-Punch Man.
Also, A Silent Voice, to an extent.

Are you retarded?

>He had 6 people fretting over him at least.
3 at best, Misato and his two friends and even Misato didn't look for what the best thing for him (manipulate him to pilot the EVA).

fuck anyone who says NHK,a woman doenst come from out of the blue and saves your life,thats fucking bullshit

pun pun MC is a good example of someone whos actually out there living life when he meets new people and meets aiko again

I bet you think climate change doesn"t exist either, right?

> fuck anyone who says NHK,a woman doenst come from out of the blue and saves your life,thats fucking bullshit
Stop speedwatching. Misaki didn't save him.

You're such a badass.

Attached: Summer To End Vacation.webm (640x360, 2.89M)

Misato, Asuka, 2 friends, Kaworu, his shitbag dad, Kaji. If he just sat there curled up in a ball people actually would try to interact with him, get him to do shit.
That's 7 more than I have.

You need to be at least 18 to post here, user.

At least he's out and about.

>buzzwords
Not an argument. Try again.

>If it doesn't exist then why are there doctors and psychologists that dedicate their lives to it and acknowledge it as a clinical diagnosis?
Because it benefits them. They get paid to diagnose a make-believe disease, NEETs get an "I'm depressed" certificate that allows them to leech their parents / their country's welfare system.

You guys have conceded as much, bragging over how you managed to "game the system" and spreading material like Uncle Remus' guide.

I had to stop reading that. Hit too close to home.

And vaccines cause autism.

I guess this is the wrong thread to try and bring up this manga then.

Attached: Sachiko2.jpg (400x284, 46K)

I like the stuff the person who did Fruits Basket writes. And Mars
Helping autists is boring and pointless unless they're savants and can build quantum computers for you or something.

>depression
it's too wide as a topic to be represented clearly since there are a lot of different types. Also, i don't think it's profitable

Attached: 1530430090233.png (960x1400, 682K)

Nice to know you're that guy.

Watch more anime.

>Asuka
cunt who got to get stucked in an Angel

>Misato
Irresponsible adult who cares more about fighting the Angels

> Kaworu
Became good friends turned out to be an Angel

>Kaji
Got injured by Shinji' EVA

>shitbag dad

>would try to interact with him, get him to do shit.
But, he did intreact with them you fucking moron, and all they did was trying to make him do their bidding, no one really cared about him and what he wishes for

>That's 7 more than I have.
Sorry you're more pathetic than Shinji

The problem is that the presence of autism is something that can be empirically tested while depression falls under a wider banner of skepticism where someone can merely claim to be depressed and get categorized with it along with a zillion others. If there even truly is a specific subset of people predisposed to falling into depression, there's no way to distinguish them from people who are just lying or being pussies.

Souryo Fuyumi is great

Attached: x4.jpg (1677x1200, 579K)

Anyone else just sit around for hours on Yea Forums? Why do we do this?

>there are a lot of different types.
Theyre only 3: short term due to life events such as losing loved one, clinical depression and fthe common fake attention whoring.

>depression

God I hated this trash.

>and all they did was trying to make him do their bidding,

so fucking what. Its better than absolutely nobody. Just being needed is something people take for granted. People needed Shinji, so they reached out to him, that's how all human relationships work. A sadder story would be if Shinji didn't pilot the robit and nobody gave a single fuck.

Obviously, I'm on a Yea Forums thread about depression. There's no way I'd find value in individuals other than myself if I value myself so unbelievably little, especially since I'm objectively pretty capable.

>Its better than
It's still shit, if not more worse

>that's how all human relationships work
Again, user I'm sorry you're more pathetic than Shinji and actaully think his relationships with people are the standard for normal.

>It's still shit, if not more worse
trust me its not. I'd kill for someone to use me.
>actaully think his relationships with people are the standard for normal.
they're just better than none at all

Thanks for reminding me about it. The author really did manage to capture the realism of it all, especially the mother's feelings.

How come no one posted Kokou no Hito? I love the way it depicted the internal struggle of the protagonist

>that's how all human relationships work
>they're just better than none at all
Nice goal posting faggot

>I'm more pitiful than Shinji so his depression doesn't count
>people who suffer less than me don't count
Imagine being this much of a faggot

because a manga about some loser spending all day in his room shitposting and jerking would be boring

>none at all
Hm, user, are you actually posting this from an island?

>Nice goal posting faggot
Not really kiddo.
>Imagine being this much of a faggot
Imagine getting this mad at a very lonely man's characterization of a fictitious 14yr old japanese.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see the parallels. I'm not personally involved with anyone with autism but I've worked with several kids who have it. And every now and then a symptom pops up in the story and I think "I've met a kid with something like that" (one always smiling, one grabbing things with no rhyme or reason, doesn't talk but only repeats things without eye contact). It hurts but it has a nice sort of optimism to it. And seeing it in a society like Japan where presenting yourself in public a certain way takes a high priority is especially rough.

I'm a day trader with no family or friends. My only interactions are walking by people when I get groceries, since I use self-checkout

I don't remember NHK that well, but it struck me that Misaki didn't actually do that much. I think that most of the major plot points could've happened without Misaki, as long as Yamazaki and senpai are still around.

O halo thar.

Attached: 1555728546463.jpg (1280x720, 52K)

The entire story was about how women and his father manipulated a young boy to do something he did not want to do.

>implying depression is an easy welfare check
>implying it's not the doctors over diagnosing depression to sell placebos

You can still be happy with yourself even without others.

Save the earth from ancient aliens.

You really can't though. Human beings are wired to be social. Depression is often best cured simply by people's concern.

I'm sorry but I'm honestly envious for your misfortune. In my opinion, the less people you're around the better desu.

I used to think like that but then 6 years later...nihilism really sets in bro

literal propaganda

I know some other user already provided info, so I'll just call you a massive fucking faggot

Because depression doesn't exist

guaranteed laughter. Honestly can't say that about anything else in life.

I'm not risking some risky medical shit desu bro

Nihlilism only sets in when you're denied or stripped from what your core values for living are. This can be different for many people. Preservation for life only matters when you have a reason to live. If not for yourself than for others. There is no single reason. Humanity as a whole are social animals, but there are many variations for that which includes hermithood.

>Risky
Mortality rate is between

Yeah but like what if it's really annoying to do and the depression worsens or it does nothing? I might not die but that'd suck. This sounds far-fetched but is what one has come to expect from medical things meant to "cure depression" these days even if endorsed.

You know, that lack of drive and pessimism are secondary to the depression. Depression is like a mental shortcut designed to save energy, and way back in the day it was really useful.

At least try "magic mushrooms" ,that shit's FDA approved now

Exactly! I also found it refreshing how the mother was allowed to be angry and tired of it, because usually you don't see that in media. Bringing up an autistic child is not easy, and it is constantly being outlined. However, she just powers through it and it's so rewarding to see the progress.

The author did some thorough research before creating the manga and it truly shows. It opened up my eyes about the struggles, and probably helped a lot of other people who are in the same/similar situation as the MC.

Attached: 20190426_043145.jpg (2896x2896, 774K)