So how long until 2D anime dies and it's fully replaced with cgi?

So how long until 2D anime dies and it's fully replaced with cgi?
2 year
3 years?

Attached: 1555911489632.webm (800x450, 2.94M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8dmvNGxYPCU
youtu.be/H8VdjgXlo6U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does anyone remember that 2d CG chinese anime with girls in exo-mech suits fighting each other? Relatively recent and lots were impressed by it's quality.
Can't remember it.

Only if they hate money.

Hopefully soon. 3D is infinitely better than 2D due to it having one extra dimension.

honestly I don't care if it does I was already sold on Ajin and BBKBRK, Houseki no Kuni pretty much made it a lock, 3D anime owns

Said no one ever

Too bad that BBK/BRNK was so good only because it was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary is the studios, Sanzigen.

Same reason for Orange, Houseki no Kuni was their first full production series on their own, and they spent so much money and time in making it you could have made more than 2 usual one cour series instead.

Might as well just skip over 3D and go to 4D.

>the anime is just a biographical documentary about your life
>do you skip to the last episode to see where you are when it ends?

Japan has just really started to dip their toes into CG.
I say about 10 years for it to be predominant compared to 2D

>Japan has just really started to dip their toes into CG.
Bullshit. They've been using CGI in video games for decades. CGI has been used in small instances in anime for decades too. The video game people aren't the same as the anime people though so the difference in talent is probably because of that but Japan as a whole has been using CGI for forever. CGI has been commonplace in anime since the early 00s at least, which is nearly 20 years by now, even if you discount its uses in the 80s and 90s.

Nah, IF anime still exists by 2030 then it will be only CGI, so to answer your question I say 11 more years.

Found it myself.
Was game trailer.
youtube.com/watch?v=8dmvNGxYPCU

This is a snuff film

HIMEKOOOOOOOOOOOO YAMEROOOOOOOO

I think if 2D is going to completely be replaced by 3D it will take a long time because there seems to be a push back against 3D at least in the west, idk about what the nips feel about it though. If there somehow is a big change to 3D in the near future I would just go back and watch all the old anime I havent seen before, im not really on the 3D train desu

I was talking about anime alone.

If they do hopefully theyll stop with the low framerate crap, its 3D you dont need to be 12 fps anymore.

That's still 20 years of regular usage. That's hardly "dipping their toes in".

I don't think 2D will die. 3D is being used to enhance or replace 2D, but 2D animation will not cease. I want to believe the anime shows being produced using CG animation are experiments under the guise of studying and practicing as well as inventing animation techniques. I think in the future we will see most if not all anime incorporate 3D with 2D, but seamlessly as the technology advances and hopefully better talent enter the industry. That said, 2D animation is an art and requires a lot of skill to recreate what 3D can do so easily. so who knows. nips will die out before 2040

Soon.

Attached: 1540406179400.webm (1256x698, 2.88M)

I think it's easier to blend CGI with live action footage but it's still really easy to identify CGI most of the time in even high budget live action movies unless it's used really subtly. I don't think CGI in anime will ever blend in well enough to not be distracting.

What in the name of Nippon is this

When all the great 2d animators die and the next generation are left with no mentors to learn from first hand.

>people with down syndrome are better because they have an extra chromosome

I think they will stick with 2d with cgi in some parts and use ai to assist them in areas that not required much skills like coloring or drawing frames in between key frames.

If you unironically think this than you don't understand 3dCG.

Making 3dcg anime that looks as good as lets say the 3dcg in guilty gear takes years. 3dcg is helpful in a 2d production, but it's not magic

Attached: 1543165771581.jpg (1920x1080, 176K)

This bait is not only brilliant, but people have already fell for it.
This gets post of the year.

Japan has one thing that kind of ensures the health of 2D animation more strongly:

Manga

3D CG might work for shit with lots of dumb mechanical bits like that bad Ultra Iron Man cartoon OP posted or fantasy series with elaborate armor designs, but even Japan seems disgusted at stuff like the Kengan Asura anime. Granted, that's a kind of niche book, and it's not exactly some future-proof shield, but a love for 2D comics is a better umbrella to help keep out the CG rain than nothing.

Attached: e4fffceb201a81372dadab99a06e5e8b.jpg (480x678, 58K)

the real question is how long till CGI manga replaces hand-drawn manga

Attached: 2.jpg (1688x1200, 503K)

CGI is sometimes used in manga. The worse cancer for manga though is taking photos and filtering them.

What is the most successful CG-heavy manga series?

...It's Gantz, isn't it?

Attached: __shimohira_reika_gantz_drawn_by_oku_hiroya__631395628c0cf9b34b7e1be958917715.jpg (800x1158, 156K)

I give it 6 years.

But there is more Netflix adds the 5th dimension alternate timelines where you replay and change any part of your future life and see what happens.

At least 2D anime will go out with a bang.

Attached: 1555649161900.jpg (1280x1825, 422K)

I don't know about the movie but the anime had tons of shitty looking 3D backgrounds that KyoAni loves so much.

I don't know but I sure hope we get more stuff like HnK

Attached: 1507381390008.jpg (1920x1080, 279K)

Hopefully soon. I've long wanted to quit this shit.

Fuck it's so good

Hopefully never, but it is admittedly getting better.
youtu.be/H8VdjgXlo6U

This is definitely the best example of this I have seen. Thanks for posting.

ETOTAMA 2 WHEEEEEEN

Mind blowing fact!

Soon.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] BanG Dream! S2 - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_00.10_[2019.03.21_17.31.12].jpg (1280x720, 173K)

>VEG
>2D going out with a bang
That'd Akira, VEG had tons of 3DCG in it

Some anime CGI is starting to look better than Reboot. It only took 25 years.

Thanks, now I want to play Honkai again.

Wasn't the 2nd season announced a year ago? I haven't heard or seen a single thing about it otherwise. Etotama is also from 2015, and personally, still looks better than anything I've seen since. I wonder why that particular style didn't catch on.

CGI artist and professional chiming in (asset creation and rigging, but can animate, just am not paid to).
It won't be replaced in 3 years. The average 3d artist and animators working in anime are worse than interns straight out of college and hobbyists. It isn't a case of if CG could replace 2d animation - it can. It's a case of "When will it be cheap enough to replace 2d animation. That might never be the case because as tools and techniques and new technologies emerge to lower the price of 3d animation and modelling so do new tools technologies and techniques emerge for digital painting, rendering and animation.
I actually see it moving in the other direction where specialized 2d animation skills by artists will out-produce and out-quality most aspects of 3d animation. Digital painting has gained far more ground in the last decade than 3d modelling (which has gained a huge amount itself).
2d digital artists who are learned in the fundamentals of animation are simply taking back the creative space.
Take equally highly skilled 2d artist and 3d artist in 3d/2d animation and model making/drafting and give them the same project. The 2d artist will simply be able to execute the project faster. There are special cases where the dynamic intersect and flip but those situations simply are not at all even sneezed at in Anime.
>pic related was made in 2010 "Paths of hate"

Attached: POH2010.gif (480x270, 1.95M)

Overlord season 3

But VEG had tons of CG?

CGI is a mistake. Fuck Pixar if I could go back in time to stop one event it would be those fucks from ever making anything.

pfft

Honestly I didn't mind the CG in gantz

>everyone copies dreamworks instead
Good job laddie

Dreamworks was still doing things like price of Egypt until cgi became the “thing” in western animation. It is all Pixar’s fault.

we don't know how long but it will happen. 2D is unreliable. Even JoJo had some really awful animation at times. Talent will die as the years go by. 3D is consistent, and as people get talented at 3D, things are just going to get better and better. 2D has already reached its limits. even dragon ball super was shitty as fuck.

Talented isn’t the word. The word is “easy”. Kimono trash is a sign of things to come- it showed studios it doesn’t matter if your show looks like complete ass. Expect more low budget cgi shit to be the norm in the future.

Oh hey I love that short. Your estimations of the future seem a bit optimistic to me because while all that is nominally true about technique and technology Japanese production is a bizzaroland of nonsensical decisions made at levels higher than the artists.

CG is most cost effective for long running series, if you have to create elaborate unique assets for a one season [flop / manga promotion] it's just not worth it

Imagine the smell

>Kiana... Be brave and push on
>You can still end this story the way you want
>So live, Kiana
>And that's....
TITLE DROP
>MY FINAL LESSON FOR YOU

FUCK OFF

CG wouldnt look bad if it was 60 fps

It is length in China. And this is considering Chinese 2d anime already looks better than Japanese too. Japan is just too far back in time - their 3d is too bad to compete with other countries unless its Toei.

What is with the chinkshit shilling today?

Attached: 1545859254782.jpg (1920x1080, 185K)

Why are some studios so much greater at 3D animation than others?

Attached: amethyst_dies.webm (960x540, 2.99M)

>he thinks this is good 3d animation

Attached: diamond_butt_shake.webm (1280x720, 2.82M)

based

Attached: euclase_covers_up.webm (600x520, 699K)

I don't think 2D will fully die.

If anything, there will be more 2D-3D hybrids, especially for scenes with lots of characters moving.

Attached: 026_Happy_Party_Train.png (1920x1080, 2.43M)

This is what I thought was gonna happen when I was 12 in like 2003, it never did.