The masses are illiterate

>The masses are illiterate
>That's cool, we'll just have people ghostwrite letters for their loved ones
>The masses are ILLITERATE

I mean it's not the worst plothole ever, but it could have been explained away in less than a sentence.

Attached: 1535339578559.jpg (735x917, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ploddingthroughthepresidents.com/2015/12/madisons-bad-blood-with-washington-part1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the majority of her clients weren't illiterate though

it's more like the masses are too dumb to convey their feelings into words

Professional ghostwriters were an actual historical thing though. Not to the extent in VE, but still common. In fact when George Washington first took office, he sent a letter to Congress as a general "hello, happy to be working with you" kind of thing. He asked his good friend James Madison to write it. Congress replied with a letter of their own as well, and they chose from their own ranks someone who was good with words to write the letter: James Madison.

>the pleb can't hire somebody to write stuff to his boss
>literate people are always good at conveying their own thoughts and emotions
>ghostwriters never existed IRL

I literally hired a ghostwriter to write my masters thesis for me and I'm not illiterate.

Attached: 1539146460069.jpg (637x476, 125K)

I didn't really understand the concept. It seemed like the Dolls purpose was simply that they were very eloquent and could convey whatever message was sent in a more poetic and flowing fashion, however I'm pretty sure the anime directly states that the vast majority of people are illiterate, which means that surely their grasp on language would be so poor that any letter sent to them would be utter gibberish?

Also does the letter get sent and then read to the person by another Doll? and if that is the case then is the Doll pausing every few seconds to explain what particular words mean or to explain how the letter is written in as particular style?

Let me guess, you're Chinese?

thoughts?

Attached: tilly-openbionics1.jpg (790x593, 65K)

She'll make a fine auto memoir doll.

lemme see a webm of that arm operating a typewriter, then I'll make my decision

Back in the illiterate days you'd usually have someone literate in any given town and the townsfolk would employ his services when it came to letters and such. A pastor etc.
Even then, as others have pointed out, it's one thing to know how to write and another to know how to write well.

>someone who can read reads the letters out for the loved ones
Is it really so hard, OP?

Anons, do you know that it's possible and allowed to have a day without making a Violet Evergarden thread right?

Sounds like a dull day, des.

There are fairly egregious plotholes in the series, but this isn't one of them. This is just you being stupid.

Attached: b234a791b66950a4c01ca09a16d31f0c41c5e0c6708eb24531ad70eead506288.jpg (720x720, 60K)

I can't get over how retarded one loli armies are. Why do Japs insist in these cheesy tropes? Couldn't Violet be a potato WITHOUT being a war machine of mass destruction?

That's a really fun fact. Thank you for that!

>we're running a massive conspiracy to falseflag two nations at truce back into war
>our critical move is to bomb a train containing diplomats and other important officials
>how do we make sure we get away with it?
>let's bomb little unoccupied shacks for a week in a line leading straight to the rail station where the train will depart from
Dumbest show I've ever seen. It should have just stayed a comfy slice of life about an autistic robogirl.

The only plothole in this show is how Violet manages to grow up this beautiful even through the type of childhood she had.

Attached: sex hair violet.jpg (1280x1825, 422K)

They bombed the stations during the day of the operation, this way the train could not simply stop at one of them baka.

Hi user, I think you might want to check out this server.

https:\discordapp.com\invite\bBaZXcp

Attached: 1555090032185.jpg (359x347, 23K)

The real problem with the series in this respect is it's never explained. My suspension of disbelief is ever tested as well, because there's also no one that shares the same superhuman strength that Violet exhibits. Even before she has robot arms she's doing ridiculous Rambo-tier shit. And in the context of a serious narrative with themes of wars and the like, it's just unbelievably stupid.

Say with your average UC Gundam protagonist there's an in-universe explanation for their abilities. With the concept of Newtypes and whatnot. In Violet Evergarden, there's not, at least to my knowledge.

Tbh this is a really common problem with any anime that centers around the more psychological aspects of a physical activity. The narrative can be great, but as soon as anyone does anything physical it because shonan-tier retarded

Attached: wrong.jpg (1920x1080, 397K)

Attached: wrong 2.jpg (1920x1080, 345K)

What exactly is that user wrong about? A few hours difference isn't going to make a huge deal. What is Leiden going to do? Teleport their army onto the train a few minutes before it departs?

Bombing the bridge was part of it.

Yep, bombing the bridge accomplishes multiple things. One it symbolizes how the two nations are at peace with the transcontinental railroad connecting the two, so destroying it symbolically destroys that peace and cooperation. Two, the bridge is a vital part of the railroad. The same railroad that can be used to mobilize armies quickly in case of a revolt. Destroying it would prevent such a rapid mobilization into their territory leaving the rebels more time to entrench themselves and prepare for a defense.

Are you just pretending?
How else are the rebels supposed to make sure the train will have to stop at the station controlled by their agents?

What was the point of setting all those random fires and bombing those random shacks? The bombing of the bridge makes sense, but nothing leading up to it does.

Read the post above yours.

Wasn't it just a red herring as they infiltrated the train?

>hey there's a lot of terrorist activity literally within jogging distance of the train station
>oh, I know, let's load the train immediately proximal to where all this terrorist activity is taking place
They infiltrated the train in broad daylight and I don't see what setting fire to random shacks has to do with that

The train needs refueling, this is not something they can simply opt out of.

Exactly, so how did the rebels force the train to stop at that station then?

The terrorist activity was only noticed the day of the train hijack. That's hardly any time to do anything about it. It's WW1 era transportation. The best way to mobilize troops are by railway. The same railway that just opened that day.

They bombed the other stations baka. The entire trip takes days and by the time they started bombing shit the train was already moving.

I'm talking about the bombings and fires before the train started moving. The ones in the screencaps I provided. What was the purpose of any of that? Security was clearly garbage either way when a small handful of men managed to kidnap the conductor outdoors and in broad daylight.

>security guards
>doing anything against remnants of a professional army

I don't know, why would anyone bomb places that could be used as enemy positions or stops for the train?

Security was garbage because the morons thought the rebels were trying to retake a city mentioned on episode 9. It was a classic bait & switch move used by guerilla.

>we need the top military brass to direct a navy ship to safely take people to the train, but we don't think it's necessary to protect the train itself

>>we need the top military brass to direct a navy ship to safely take people to the train, but we don't think it's necessary to protect the train itself
see

Look at . Not only is it upstream of the train station, it's a tiny house with a fence in front of it. How would that be a valuable target for an enemy ambush?

Is their military virtually nothing? They couldn't station just two men to accompany the conductor for this extremely vital peace talk?

There is nothing preventing the train from stopping right then and there to get reinforced or refueled. You can literally see the train tracks right next to the debris.

>protecting the conductor instead of protecting the diplomats
Also, they were on foreign soil. Deploying a standing army inside a sovereign nation you just signed an armistice surely isn't going to cause any troubles.

Attached: schaanwald-liechtenstein.jpg (1920x1200, 590K)

First, it's upstream of the station, meaning in the opposite direction of the train's direction. Second, no, a stupid little one-story house isn't going to be any kind of meaningful refueling station, that's what actual train stations are for, and why would reinforcements board the train when the whole purpose was to enter covertly onto a train with virtually no security? What reinforcements would even arrive, and what could they do when the rebels already have control of the train? Would they jump off the roof of the shacks and onto the train as it moved by?
Even in times of unsteady truce, it's normal to allow at least a small security contingent to protect important diplomats. Happens all the time in the real world. Why couldn't they request that? The reason: the rebels needed to set random stupid fires so that Violet could see them off in the distance, and then by pure coincidence see her friends at the station so she could connect the dots, jump out of the airplane, and save the day by boarding the train. Biggest asspull I've ever seen.

How do you know it was just a small house and not one of those tiny stations?
How do you know it was impossible to store fuel in there when the building itself had a chimney?

I hope you know the train itself was filled with soldiers.

>Even in times of unsteady truce, it's normal to allow at least a small security contingent to protect important diplomats. Happens all the time in the real world. Why couldn't they request that?
I don't know, why did Franz Ferdinand's car happened to stop by Gavrilo Princip's favorite sandwiich shop? Why didn't Franz Ferdinand just leave the country after the failed assassination attempt? Shit happens. Human error happens. Especially in a world where instant communication isn't possible.

Blame these 2 idiots over here.

Attached: -.jpg (1920x1080, 358K)

>13eps + OVA BDs released everywhere
>France still has announced nothing

Guess I'll have to buy the german versions in 4 parts, total 160€ (without shipping) ;_;

Attached: 81TC+T2xH3L._SX385_.jpg (385x286, 20K)

If I remember correctly, in the LN she's literally a Goddess of some sort so has super human abilities. For whatever reason the writers decided to keep the 'super human' part of the LN in the anime and leave out the explanation. Even then however it's a shit explanation since the Military would probably take great interest in a literal child that can duel wield rifles with pinpoint accuracy, kick fully grown men to death with a single flying-air-kick, successfully kill legions of trained soldiers with only their bare hands and survive multiple gunshots and having both arms blown off plus losing insane amounts of blood.

This tends to be my issue with any anime trying to tackle serious topics. They set an interesting narrative and plot then someone just throws in some retarded supernatural or otherworldly element and it renders the whole thing as a pretty jarring experience. I dropped Baccano once the whole "OH AND SOME OF THE PEOPLE ARE LIKE IMMORTAL OR SOMETHING" subplot got introduced into what was looking like a pretty interesting Prohibition era anime.

you should've picked a better country to be born into then, frog.

Attached: condescending erica.png (546x578, 493K)

Train stations aren't roped off in the front, and that doesn't explain how a station would be used for anything when the rebels were already in control of the train once it began moving.
The assassination of Ferdinand was logically conceived, simple, and successful. The train hijacking and all the minor terroristic hijinks surrounding it was overly complicated and unsuccessful.
Yep, the characters in this show are stupid.

You don't remember correctly. She's nothing but some sort of spec ops monster that inevitably meets her match during the train hijack in the LN.

Attached: vol.2 ch.13 pic.1.png (500x742, 339K)

I may be thinking of a similar LN in that case. I was pretty sure she was some kind of otherworldly being, but yeah I am probably mixing things up.

Really, that just makes the writing even worse than I thought it was.

>The assassination of Ferdinand was logically conceived, simple, and successful.
>be an assassin
>throw a faulty grenade into the car that doesn't explode on time
>fail your assassination attempt so you run to a bridge and jump off to kill yourself
>bridge is too shallow
>Only break your legs
>cops in hot pursuit so you take your cyanide pill
>cyanide pill is actually expired since you can't afford better ones
>don't kill you but just make you sick to your stomach making you puke all over yourself
>get arrested as you fail your assassination attempt, break your legs, and puke all over yourself
actually made me laugh. Thanks.

It's a great deal easier to receive a message than to compose it. It's easier to understand when it comes to music: you likely cannot compose well, but you know when you hear good music.

Same with words. She's supposed to help them record the feeling and meaning they have into text so the reader (or the one who is dictated to) can receive these feelings.

I'll also mention that "illiterate" typically doesn't mean "Incapable of reading" in practical cases: People only know the words and symbols that are relevant to their lives: The illiterate simply have a vocabulary so limited they're unable to go beyond that context.

>I was wrong so that means the writing is worse
We all know why you are here at this point.

Are you living in a dimension where Franz didn't die?

this is just KyoAnus insulting its audience again.

Franz's death was his own fault. He stopped to eat when he knew he was in a city that still had assassins about.

It was purely coincidence that G.P. was getting lunch too.

I'm not french though, it's my fourth language

I think I actually explained why I thought it was a shit direction to take her character even with the excuse of "She's a Goddess", when you take that excuse away all you have left is "One female child army Super Loli can kill fully grown, trained soldiers with her bare hands because reasons". Which is asking the viewer to just suspend their disbelief with no valid justification.

He didn't even stop to eat, his car just broke down because Franz decided to not use a driver that knew the city he was in. They got lost, and their car broke down across the same sandwich shop Princip was eating at. Where was his security guards? Why didn't he phone Austria-Hungary to send an army to help protect him? Why would he even continue the parade when there was a lot of terrorist activity in the area months before her arrived? Reality has such horrible writing.

It's sad that Yea Forums is just fucking dumb. I mean sure this might have been a shitpost but this level of ignorance is just depressing.

>Why is someone who has hunted and killed for their survival their whole life able to beat and kill people who was conscripted and was trained for a few weeks before being sent to the frontlines.

There is no "she's a goddess" excuse anywhere in the LN, the whole goddess thing is something only a cult of religious freaks believe in and use to murder people in their world. Violet ended up an effective killing machine because a bunch of psychos decided it'd be a good idea to turn her into one. The so called goddess was manhandled by a dude with just as much training as her or more.

You're doing nothing but repeat shitposts and false information that was spammed to death in VEG threads. I will never understand why people like you feel the need to talk about things you don't know anything about.

That's not comparable to the show at all. Every assassin that made a move against the Archduke was immediately caught by the litany of security around them. The Archduke himself was constantly moving and always surrounded by security, except for the brief lucky window where the car stalled, allowing him to be shot. The assassins made repeated attempts, initially unsuccessful, until they got lucky. Further, they didn't make random attacks on unrelated people prior to the Archduke's arrival. The military knew that anywhere the Archduke travels is a risk, but they took many precautions to try and minimize that risk, and there was no single event at play that made this travel more worthy of wariness than others.

By contrast, the rebels set up numerous pointless attacks near the target with no conceivable benefit. The security is almost non-existent and totally effective, and had no control over a hijacked train, which was as simple as kidnapping the conductor in full view of everyone in daylight. The only reason it failed was because the magic robo god girl happened to see smoke signals and her friends, allowing her to jump out of an airplane and save the day. This is despite the top chain of command knowing the extreme significance of this meeting and investing top protection of their representatives by ferrying a military ship to take care of them.

VEG is simply garbage plot-wise.

>That's not comparable to the show at all. Every assassin that made a move against the Archduke was immediately caught by the litany of security around them. The Archduke himself was constantly moving and always surrounded by security, except for the brief lucky window where the car stalled, allowing him to be shot. The assassins made repeated attempts, initially unsuccessful, until they got lucky. Further, they didn't make random attacks on unrelated people prior to the Archduke's arrival. The military knew that anywhere the Archduke travels is a risk, but they took many precautions to try and minimize that risk, and there was no single event at play that made this travel more worthy of wariness than others.

So secure that a someone coming out of a sandwich shop was able to kill him.

Go and pick a fight with a 10 year old, then maybe you'll understand how retarded you are being.

I did say that I wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly and when another user pointed out I hadn't remembered correctly I didn't try to defend that position, just said that given I was wrong then there's even less of a defence in favour of the writing for Violet Evergardens character. Next time I suggest actually reading a post before you start typing up a reply.

>Go and pick a fight with a 10 year old, then maybe you'll understand how retarded you are being.
>Picking a fight with a 10 year old is the same as killing the said 10 year old

That someone was one of several assassins dedicated to killing him.

If you wanted to kill a 10 year old in a fight, I highly doubt the 10 year old is going to be able to stop you, unless you're suffering from some kind of wasting disease.

You haven't read the novels and only read shitposts and yet here you are trying to say the writing is worse because things were not the way you thought they were. Do you even realize what you're doing?

Dedication has nothing to do with it. If Franz Ferdinand was as secure as you make him sound to be, then Gavrilo wouldn't be able to get near him.

In fact, why did Franz Ferdinand just not send in the superior Austrio-Hungarian army to subdue the population the same day there was an assassination attempt? Serbia's army is absolutely shitty compared to theirs, why not send the whole army into Serbia and protect the archduke?

Way to ignore 90% of my post just to repeat yourself. Why are VEGfags so incapable of accepting criticism?

People, especially normal people have a conscience. They can't just kill children on command.

Because 90% of your post is irrelevant? We are talking about the "plot holes" in the archduke's action after the first assassination attempt.

No I'm saying that I didn't remember correctly, as I had given my original comments trying to explain to an user why she has super powers. When it was pointed out that I was wrong and hadn't remembered correctly then I said that given she isn't some form of Goddess, as I mistakenly believed, then the situation is even worse regarding that element of her character as there isn't an explanation for it that doesn't require the viewer to suspend their disbelief without justification.

The point isn't about WOULD you, it is about COULD you. A child isn't going to punch a fully grown man to death unless he just lets it do so.

>The point isn't about WOULD you, it is about COULD you. A child isn't going to punch a fully grown man to death unless he just lets it do so.
When did Violet punch a fully grown man to death? She has always used a weapon to do so. Either the butt of her gun, the rifle itself, or a knife.

The lack of explanation is a real criticism that I share with you. The author probably thought it looked cool to make her origins a mystery.
This purposely element of unknown information doesn't necessarily make a writing piece worse, especially one involving a character that is always so distant and cold.

kek

Pretty sure at some stage during her Rambo charge she just starts hitting people.

It's not a case of mystery that bothers me, more that the world is clearly very grounded in convention to our world. Nothing in the shows stands out as "Oh this is clearly a fantasy world" beyond maybe the bionic arms...but those have justification since they are a pretty integral element of her character and how others perceive and react to her. Her ability to be a child super soldier is just fanwank that serves no actual purpose.

Its like watching Man of Steel but no one reacting to all the mental super powered shit Superman is doing and just acting like there's nothing strange about a dude that can fly and punch through buildings.

>Pretty sure at some stage during her Rambo charge she just starts hitting people.
Yes, with the butt of her gun and a kick after the guy was already off balanced. Those soldiers were never shown to be killed, so I want you to find me an instance where Violet killed a fully grown man with her fist.

What do you mean no one is reacting to the things she does? Even the enemy soldiers know who she is and are terrified of her.

You might as well be.

Youtube "Violet Evergarden fight compilation"
24s
1:10
1:16
Also the whole train fight scene.
Instances of her killing people unarmed. I'm also going to be nice and ignore the fact she deflects blows from people that would logically be many times stronger than her and the fact she literally dodges bullets.
Even if you're going to argue that these people aren't dead, then a female child still managed to muster the strength to knock these people out with a single blow.

I mean no one ever goes "I wonder how a child can do these things that are seemingly impossible". Like I said, it'd be like watching Man of Steel but no one ever asking questions.

>illiterate people don't have complex language

This is how idiots sound, pay attention.

>Youtube "Violet Evergarden fight compilation"
Just give me screen shots.

No. I've given you the times in the video. I've provided some proof of what I'm talking about. Not my problem if you can't be bothered to check.

Not even the same user but, I'm going to presume you meant to say
"Illiterate people don't have a complex vocabulary"
You mong.

In that case, I have no idea wtf you are talking about since those timestamps either show her with a weapon, or doesn't show her at all.

Attached: 24 seconds.png (1896x774, 722K)

She literally kicks a guy in the head as she stabs the other one in that scene. Are you just being deliberately obtuse at this point?

Attached: one ten.png (1896x773, 937K)

Is showing the audience somebody saying "how?" really that much of a deal when each character has a lot more to worry about?

Violet isn't even on this time stamp.

Attached: one sixteen.png (1894x775, 1.08M)

If you were at war and saw a kid doing leaping spin kicks and firing two rifles at once while beating the shit out of every enemy they came across, you'd probably start questioning things.

I see, so you are being deliberately obtuse. No point in continuing this then.

You are going to have to explain to me the point you are making with those screenshots instead of just giving me a time stamp. I am not a mind reader. Violet is armed in all of these timestamps. Taking the enemy by surprise and killing them with a weapon is not that farfetched.

I think I see the problem now. He needs this type of direction to be able to enjoy the show. He needs the characters to narrate their feelings and internal thoughts too.

Attached: ufotable direction.webm (1280x720, 2.84M)

Questioning things don't change anything. We are shown how even her comrades are very uneasy around her to say the least, to the point of freezing in place while enemy troops loudly sound the alarm.
There is no need for pointless lines of dialogue like "she's a monster" or "how".

Attached: -.jpg (1920x1080, 138K)

I have explained it many times. You just watched the scenes (I presume). I'm not denying that she has a weapon in those scenes however she also kills (or knocks out) people without a weapon.

>There is no need for pointless lines of dialogue like "she's a monster" or "how"
There is when shes basically ignoring all conventional logic that is established in the world that has been created. Like I said, suspension of disbelief is all well and good but it needs to be justified, in this particular instance, it isn't. She's just a super loli soldier simply because the writer wanted her to be, but then I'm supposed to take the general tone seriously when i'm watching a child rip and tear through scores of fully grown, trained soldiers?

Fuck, why not remake Saving Private Ryan but have a bunch of 9 year olds doing backflips up the beach while dodging gunfire and dual wielding Thompsons.

>I have explained it many times. You just watched the scenes (I presume). I'm not denying that she has a weapon in those scenes however she also kills (or knocks out) people without a weapon.

I did. That's why I'm confused as to what you don't get about them. Whenever she hits them physically, they are never shown to die or knocked out. They are just knocked out of frame. She also uses their momentum against them like in 1:10 and 1:16 to be able to knock them down. In 00:24, she is able to kick the guy down thanks to surprise and she could've easily stabbed him while he was in a vulnerable position seeing as how the scene cuts out after we see Violet's initial assault. So please, tell me what is it about those scenes that are outside of your usual anime action scene?

>Fuck, why not remake Saving Private Ryan but have a bunch of 9 year olds doing backflips up the beach while dodging gunfire and dual wielding Thompsons.
wait, are you equating a movie based on history to a movie based on fiction?

There is nothing in this world capable of justifying the retarded japanese way of telling the audience that something is shocking through dialogue. Having characters yell shit like "bakemono da!" or "n-nani?!" is peak retardation.
Keep it simple and show instead of telling, the audience isn't retarded and can see the characters freaking out about an event. Violet Evergarden as a soldier seems nothing more than a hypothetical nearly perfect war orphan and given how other characters interact with her I can believe the setting being presented to me.

ploddingthroughthepresidents.com/2015/12/madisons-bad-blood-with-washington-part1.html

Seemingly, that one's true.

>grasp on language would be so poor

Your post indicates you might belong in the VEG world.

It's not outside a 'usual' anime scene. My point has never been that these kind of fights shouldn't exist, but they shouldn't exist in an anime that is in every other aspect very realistic. It's very grounded in all regards barring a single super loli soldier fucking everything up. The story could've just had her just be a decent solider, still heavily grounded with the same personality but without all the kung-fu jumping about spin kicks that would get anyone killed in a real fight, the fact she does the typical 'dip run' shit whenever someone shoots at her, as if that shit actually works.

That's a retarded assumption and we both know that wasn't the point I was making.

It's more or less a plot hole so yes. One made considerably more egregious by the series playing itself so seriously. She showcases inhuman abilities between her speed, strength and size. This is never acknowledged beyond the waxing of themes with Violet being a tool of this and that, which only exacerbates matters as there's no real justification. It only serves to spotlight the issue.

This might be more of an issue with the anime adaptation though, the animation feels so over animated for a series that itself so straight, at least in the more action heavy scenes. Such direction would be more becoming of a Bones action series. However, I can't say with complete certainty as I haven't read the LN.

>a hypothetical nearly perfect war orphan
That's the only potential justification I could consider, but it feels like too much of a stretch to me. At least in the anime.

>but without all the kung-fu jumping about spin kicks that would get anyone killed in a real fight, the fact she does the typical 'dip run' shit whenever someone shoots at her, as if that shit actually works.
>kung-fu jumping spin kicks
I mean, I was fine just continuing our conversation but you should at least refrain from using hyperboles to make a point.

That's deus ex not shitty e-garden, you faggot.

>for a series that plays itself so straight