Monkey Punch has died

Monkey Punch has died.

From AP:
His office, MP Pictures, said Wednesday that Monkey Punch, whose real name is Kazuhiko Kato, died of pneumonia on April 11.

The story of master thief Lupin's adventures with his gang ā€” gunman Daisuke Jigen, sword master Goemon Ishikawa and sexy beauty Fujiko Mine, as well as a detective, Zenigata ā€” started in 1967.

The cartoon also was adapted for TV animation and movies, some directed by renowned animators including Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.

Attached: 81075.jpg (800x1700, 307K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yxNw1bgH4dQ
youtu.be/psZWv2q--Xo
illustratedlands.blogspot.com/2018/12/lupin-iii-doesnt-dream-brief-analyses.html
illustratedlands.blogspot.com/2018/12/dissecting-manga-lupin-third-unreleased.html
youtu.be/nE-KK2lo6go
youtube.com/watch?v=AwKPMCUrUBg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The man is a legend who created what would become one of my favourite franchises of all time. I hope he's able to rest in peace.

F
Will be missed

youtu.be/yxNw1bgH4dQ my favorite amv from the early days of the Internet all of this was ripped from vhs tapes probably. Rip

Lupin is one the greatest franchises of the entire medium. We won't see another like MP for some time.

He had a good run.

When I was a young boy, Lupin III was one of my favorites. Long before Robotech, I grew up with Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets, Captain Harlock, and Spaceketeers. I didn't even know they were anime, they were just really good cartoons to me.
This brings me back with heavy nostalgia for a time when it was referred to as Japanimation and life was innocent for me. 37 years later and it still means something.
Thank you Monkey Punch. You made my life that much better.
F

The sticky was nice. The one Lupin thread you can get around here every 4 or 5 years or so

Those came before Robotech in the US?

By a few years, yes. Technically speaking, Lupin predates Robotech as well.

Attached: 1172126498.jpg (450x600, 54K)

Yes, Robotech came when I was 10 (1985). I was 5 watching these.

Oh man, I remember that game in the arcades. It was so different.

Fujiko's titties in Part V are so over the top they're almost comical.

Almost.

Lupin III is both my favorite manga and favorite anime. Hell, I think it even influenced my taste in movies and books to a degree.

So, RIP Monkey Punch. So long and thanks for the memories.

F

What's the definitive way/version to experience lupin?

Here's a neat video of the first chapter set to music.

youtu.be/psZWv2q--Xo

That is very sad. I was looking around for Lupin III related stuff, and then I found it out.

Depends on what constitutes definitive to you. The most culturally relevant version of the character or the author's original intent?

either

Apart from those weekly when a new thing air every couple of years

In terms of Japanese cultural importance, probably Castle of Cagliostro. It was listed as the best Japanese animated feature in Kinema Junpo.

In terms of the author's intent...the manga, obviously.

We had them for Fujiko and the Italian boradcast of part IV, but I don't remember there being any that did well when Part V was airing.

Inspector Gadget.
It was originally meant to be a Lupin III for American audiences. However they ran into trouble with Maurice Leblanc's family who held on to the copyright for Arsene Lupin, at a time when the production had gone too far to be cancelled.

As far as I'm aware, Inspector Gadget didn't have anything to do with the Lupin VIII series you're talking about.

Shame it got shut down though. Space detective Lupin would have been absolute kino.

Just download and read the original Manga.

I wish somebody would pick up the original manga and give it a better translation.

Or just pick it up period, we didn't even get the whole second series.

Agreed, I'd be willing to back it but I woudn't even know where to start.

There's a megatorrent up on Nyaa.
Go watch Castle of Cagliostro if you want a quick, fun dip into the franchise.
After that, you can really jump in anywhere you want.

Season 1-2-3 if you want episodic stuff

Season 5 if you want more plot arcs

Up until MP died and people started talking about it, I didn't realize just how much Lupin influenced shows and franchised I adored.

No Lupin -> No Cobra -> No Vash the Stampede -> No Dante

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-09-22h11m19s519.jpg (640x482, 63K)

I will never not be mad that TokyoPop cancelled it and Cyborg 009 but decided that live-action garbage was worth putting money into.

Fujiko's tits are almost comical for the times in everything she's in except maybe The Woman Named Fujiko Mine.

Man Part V was great. Viva Lupin III, Lupin III is eternal.

I'd like to contribute raws but looking for something that has been reprinted many times as Lupin III has gives me a headache.

castle of cagliostro
part I
parts IV and V
fuma conspiracy

I'd argue Part 1 goes first, makes Cagliostro's tonal shift have more basis
>also, ignoring Red and Pink Jackets

Attached: lupin.gif (500x281, 781K)

Current Yea Forums is a bunch of plebs that can't handle anything longer than 26 episodes, so it's not surprising.

Now this is actually sad

Based and redjacketed

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-04-18-12h55m28s906.jpg (1280x738, 182K)

this fuckin sucks. I got introduced with fujiko mine, but then watched green coat and 90 episodes into red coat. im gonna watch mystery of mamo lupin bros, is it good?

Attached: lupinPenguin.gif (500x349, 999K)

>Part 5
Nah. Most of arcs in it were either too far from what made Lupin enjoyable or were just worse rehashings of stories already done in recent years. It's only good for the Non-Blue episodes.

Attached: 1520947615095.png (301x536, 276K)

We have a Lupin thread almost every week since Part 5 aired and leading up to it.

>no Mystery of Mamo
>no Koike Lupin
Kuso list.

Pretending to act like an elitist fag over Lupin of all things doesn't make you look cool. Stop trying so hard.

Damn, seriously?
F

It made the AP wire. It's not very often that manga makes mainstream news.

You just need to get the Aizouban release, which is just the original manga repacked into 3 massive volumes so it's the most convenient to get. You can even just download off AB.
It really isn't hard.

Attached: 1555579974238.png (1562x140, 54K)

Honestly, that's more of a general anime opinion than it is a Lupin opinion.

You're right about me being an elitist fag though.

Well shit. I actually forgot that the aizouban collection had been scanned already.

Based Monkey Punch.

The scan quality ain't too bad too.

Attached: 304.jpg (1024x1519, 293K)

Man, I forgot that manga Lupin can sometimes be a much bigger dick than anime Lupin.

Attached: 310.jpg (1024x1519, 321K)

Attached: 311.jpg (1024x1519, 344K)

There is a Lupin III - kochikame crossover? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-18-17-58-34-907.jpg (1078x308, 73K)

It's got a twist that is ludicrously stupid in the best way possible.

Time to upload

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_01.jpg (1285x1800, 501K)

Wish the cooldown went back to 15 seconds

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_02.jpg (1285x1800, 577K)

3/13

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_03.jpg (1285x1800, 646K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_04.jpg (1285x1800, 550K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_05.jpg (1285x1800, 635K)

Yes. It has one of the more notable villains in the series and a pretty crazy plot. Lots of cold war era stuff in it as well.

Attached: VPWT-71696.jpg (500x727, 40K)

6/13

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_06.jpg (1285x1800, 550K)

Should I watch all fucking 150 episodes of part 2, or can I just skip around to the more notable episodes?

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_07.jpg (1285x1800, 612K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_08.jpg (1285x1800, 616K)

Yes. Even the one with Jesus's vampire twin sister.

This is too much time taking

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_09.jpg (1285x1800, 570K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_10.jpg (1285x1800, 598K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_11.jpg (1285x1800, 735K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_12.jpg (1285x1800, 602K)

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_13.jpg (1285x1800, 509K)

Over

Attached: [Osami Akimoto x Monkey Punch] KochiKame x Lupin- Ryoutsu Kankichi vs Lupin III_credit.jpg (400x75, 35K)

>pneumonia
didnt know people still died of that
impressive how there are japanese people left in the world with an immune system this bad

Being elderly and a smoker probably helped it along.

part II has 100+ episodes, I don't recommend a first time viewer to jump right in it

And I believe Cagliostro is a good introduction instead of Part I

Attached: based and redpilled lupin.jpg (630x467, 44K)

Did the second series get a similar release?

Attached: 1555442048089.jpg (681x960, 208K)

Attached: 1555535300363.webm (960x540, 2.88M)

Some of them were only shown in certain regions. I watched the rest of those but never saw Lupin in the North-East.

>Lupin reveals his disguise and leaps out a window three times in a matter of seconds, twice within a single page, while still being disguised the entire time
Jesus.

from the sticky:

illustratedlands.blogspot.com/2018/12/lupin-iii-doesnt-dream-brief-analyses.html

illustratedlands.blogspot.com/2018/12/dissecting-manga-lupin-third-unreleased.html

bump

What do you think Lupin actually looks like?

Attached: lupin.jpg (850x850, 344K)

Rest in peace. You were a good guy.

Goodbye you Legend, go steal the heavens itself.
youtu.be/nE-KK2lo6go

Attached: Lupin and zenigata.jpg (300x168, 5K)

Holy shit monkey punch!!

Based and Monkeypilled

Attached: 1515769859751.gif (500x361, 1023K)

Following anime conventions, Lupin must be very handsome under his mask

>he was an Applefag
I give him a pass on this though since he probably got hooked to it when Apple was the best for graphic design.

Japanese opening of a Jackie Chan movie, made by Monkey Punch:
youtube.com/watch?v=AwKPMCUrUBg

In Italy every paper and news channel talked about it. Lupin connected 3 generations of italians, basically anybody below 60 years grew up watching it.
Frankly i wouldn't be suprised if 11th april became a national festivity

Attached: 1548428781681.jpg (900x675, 81K)

>ywn have an otaku maid gf
WHY

Attached: 9614563.webm (720x404, 2.65M)

i love lupin being a nice guy but holy shit that quote caught me off guard

Attached: 1554103509502.png (360x333, 184K)

It doesn't surprise me. Many time the original works were harsher and darker than what eventually goes main stream. Anyone ever read the original Eastman and Laird TMNT?

I just found like 4 of the movies/specials that I liked and then began watching part 4, which I'm liking so far. I skipped literally everything else before that. No I didn't care for Fujiko's anime. Try and steal my shit taste Lupin, I dare you.

Attached: FooFightersSip.jpg (480x600, 208K)

I haven't watched too much lupin, but I want to watch Jigen's Gravestone because Redline's Takeshi Koike is attached to it. Do I need to watch the TV series Woman Called Fujiko Mine to enjoy it? What do you think of the movie and the tv series?

>Try and steal my shit taste Lupin, I dare you.
You can keep it

Attached: Lupin_green1.png (262x283, 148K)

Does somebody have links to the dub? Particularly part 2. Not having luck finding it myself.

Attached: 1485065363560.jpg (602x518, 28K)

how many times are you newfags going to ask the same question ?
figure it out by yourself like we all did

>R.I.P.

We got a shitty Childs Play trailer and now this. I'll watch some Lupin ( now streaming on HULU )

Attached: -roujin-z-41104.jpg (130x180, 12K)

Somebody in this read asked specifically if they should watch Jigen's Gravestone? Autist.

F.
What does this mean for Lupin itself? Will it continue production or is it done for?

Every year we must have a new Lupin or the world will end

Disney is planning on buying it. They seem to be killing it in the demographic with the Star Wars movies so why not Lupin?

Oh god please no

Source? Lupin seems a bit raunchy for disney. I don't see it happening. Lupin might be a good natured rascal kinda criminal but he's still a criminal.

burn Disney to the ground

Ok, look guys, it's a troll.

Attached: 1537243915361.gif (500x249, 1.9M)

Crunchyroll has the first 80 eps of part 2 dubbed

>Lupin III - 2018 Collection (Lupin Sansei / The Third)
Welp, I guess I'll finally check out this series

It did, but the scan I got was terrible.

bump

It's ridiculous that every fucking thread there's people asking for recs. Just fucking watch it, goddamn.

Attached: FjVNIFn.png (640x480, 442K)

Zenigata is the best character from the series, fite me

The correct answer is all of them becauss they're an ensemble that plays perfectly off of each other. Fight ME.

>in everything she's in
In Part IV they were actually pretty small compared to the bazongas she has in Part V

I know you're right, but I can't back down now!

Attached: cliff_zenigata.jpg (550x413, 39K)

>Zenigata broke down crying during Lupin's funeral
Monkeypunch's funeral is gonna be tough.

I was a little kid the last time I watched Lupin, I don't know what it is even (it aired in TV early 2000s). Should I just start watching the 1st season and then the movies by chronological order?

"Yea Forums sings He's a nice man" when?

"Marv" is 60s slang and is a shortened form of "marvelous". It's generally used similarly to "groovy".

Wasn't that one done years ago?

What went right with Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone?

Attached: 82d995f936f589cee9db97ff3d19a3e41397096238_full.jpg (599x337, 34K)

Attached: Moemon Ishikawa XIII.jpg (640x480, 26K)

Did Lupin III ever have strong fujo following compared to other franchises?

Attached: 435j3k2.jpg (500x375, 22K)

Online I see quotes of the movie being a finale to the story of that series though. I want to know if seeing that particular tv series is important for appreciating that singular movie.

Pixiv has a good chunk of hardcore gay shit, so I'd assume so.

F

Lupin III is a classic and I still enjoy watching the series and movies from time to time.

Go ahead and watch it, bro. Both that and Goemon's bloodspray have pretty much nothing to do with the Fujiko Mine show.

That and they're fucking awesome animations

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-09-22h12m20s351.jpg (640x482, 73K)

Was Lupin a self insert character for Monkey Punch himself?

Attached: 1555382906659.jpg (250x250, 5K)

Amen brother
Newfags are the worst
Time and again I've tried recommending a Lupin watching order to people who wanted to get into the franchise
But more and more keep asking the same thing, it's tiring

THIS
QUESTION
AGAIN

Attached: IMG_1215.jpg (704x593, 361K)

Iā€™m watching he first season right now and it sure is epic

Nah. Monkey Punch is also a character in the manga.

I've still got a red Lupin jacket from cosplaying the dorky dad from FLCL cosplaying him. Never really did a full blown Lupin cosplay. Dunno if I could pull it off. I found one that fit a bit better and gave the other to a friend to wear at his wedding. His best man dressed up as Jigen.

Such iconic characters. A master of anime and manga has passed.

wat

Attached: FLCL Kamon.gif (500x384, 703K)

If there's more than one man in a franchise, /y/ is sure to follow. It's like the gay Rule 34.

>Still no subtitles for LUPIN THE 3RD GOODBYE PARTNER

>unsourced asspull
This post reeks of Famicom64

>Still no subtitles for LUPIN THE 3RD GOODBYE PARTNER

What the fuck is up with that, honestly? You'd expect the Italians could at least deliver something.

Not even the Italians have subs for it

Any links for Mankatsu in japanese or french? I found a russian source but their dub is terrible (because they just dub over the japanese audio).

I saw it live, it's really not good
compared to the fantastic run that was part V, nothing interesting or surprising ever happens in this special